spaced out

Of Math, Mushrooms, and Minghao [EDITING / HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Honestly, Junhui figured getting Minghao to agree to tutor him was a long shot. So he was extremely happy when he saw the brunette actually nod his head and agree. So happy, in fact, that he was close to hugging Minghao out of gratitude but something in him stopped him from doing so. Maybe something like common sense. Instead, he settled for very obvious jumpy movements of joy. Other than the moment he had to give his address (which Minghao already knew, right?) he wasn’t sure what else happened. 

He probably should have kept track of the tutoring schedule instead of just nodding to everything the teacher said.

“Thanks for agreeing,” Junhui said, flashing a bright smile at Minghao shortly after their teacher left them to talk further details. As she left, Minghao glanced at him, opened his mouth to speak, only to quick shut it again. The other boy nodded and made a quick walk towards the door where his friend—Junhui couldn't remember his name either, that was getting to be a bad thing—was waiting.

“See you soon!” Junhui called out, not really knowing when that ‘soon’ was going to be. 

A glance back, another quick nod, and that was it from Minghao.

Despite the silence, Junhui was excited at the idea of being tutored, which scared his friends so much that for a moment, they wondered if maybe their Chinese friend was sick. Junhui was on the way home while simultaneously informing the group via their chat group—Seungcheol’s idea; he said it would help the group bond despite being far away. He sends motivational quotes and basketball stickers. They have all lost count of how many times Mingyu left the group chat, only to be dragged back by Seokmin. Overall, the reactions were a mix of “you want to spend more time studying?” and “who’s Minghao?” 

Both questions, Junhui couldn’t find a proper answer to.

So, he promptly ignored them. Nonetheless, Junhui kept his cheerful demeanour all the way home to his apartment, up the elevator to the 17th floor, and finally in front of his door, where Minghao was leaning on the wall beside it with a bored expression on his face.

Wait.

Rewind.

“Minghao?” Junhui asked, eyes wide and mouth agape at the sight.

“So you really weren’t listening to the schedule earlier, huh?” came the quick, almost practiced, response. 

Junhui shook his head in embarrassment, still staring at Minghao, who was finally meeting his eyes and staring back. He couldn't believe the other boy was right there, already dressed out of the uniform and in casual clothes. A moment passed in silence as they both stared at each other, before Minghao finally cleared his throat, looking away as he moved away from his place against the wall.

“If you don’t want to have it today, we don’t have to—“

“No!” Junhui exclaimed immediately, finally coming back to his senses as he fished for his apartment keys, which took a lot more fumbling that he had hoped. He wasn’t sure if he saw a flash of amusement on Minghao’s face, but he secretly

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter