Pneumonia

Pneumonia

Pneumonia

 

It started as a cold.

Key had gone to a fansign with the rest of the members.

It was in the middle of winter and of course the staff, this day of all days, decided to not only have enough jackets, but also to have the event outside for whatever reason.

Key ended up not having a Jacket layer like the others and the next day he said, “I don’t feel too well.” He took care of himself well and he figured he should be better in a week.

However, he didn’t, he got worse. He got a high fever and chest cough and at times he said it was hard to breath. The other members were, no doubt, worried about the boy, but the one worried the most was Jonghyun. He would check on Key after every schedule, but when the younger said that it was hard to breath, Jonghyun took a leave of absence and came home to take care of Key.

They called a doctor to check on Key and the man with the PHD said this, “He has pneumonia, the bacteria from his cold has turned into pneumonia, I will prescribe medicine for his fever, but that’s all I can do, I’m afraid. Make sure he stays in bed and gets lots of rest.” Jonghyun thanked the doctor and saw him out before going to check on Key. Jonghyun sat on the edge of the younger boy’s bed, his hand tightly holding the younger boy’s hand as he moved the boy’s dampened hair from his sweat coated skin. “Key, wake up.” He said to the younger whose breaths were raspy and sometimes choked up by coughs.

Jonghyun and Key had something special, the other members knew it. A special love and they knew it too.

Jonghyun pressed his lips to the sick boy’s forehead, he was burning. The fever was making him sleepy, but his eyes opened, “J-Jonghyun…” Key’s voice was barely there a timid squeeze of the hand was all he could muster. Jonghyun returned the squeeze and smiled at the younger, “the doctor said to keep you in bed and he gave you some medicine for your fever.” He informed him. Key nodded and released a sigh and said, “n-no medicine right now, I’m tired.” Jonghyun chuckled and replied, “take it now, it’ll bring down your fever.” Key didn’t have the energy so he let the elder give him the medicine.

After Key took the medicine, he fell asleep still holding onto Jonghyun’s hand. Jonghyun stayed by the younger and got him whatever he needed. However, he knew that he couldn’t stay at home forever, he had schedules to do and he didn’t think that their manager, who let him skip his schedules just to stay and look after Key. He would have to find someone to look after Key.  Their manager, however, knew of Key’s condition and took care of him while the others were out on their schedules.

Jonghyun was hesitant to go back to his schedules the next morning, but their manager insisted that everything would be fine and that they had nothing to worry about. Jonghyun checked on Key once before he left. The younger was sleeping soundly. Jonghyun pressed his lips to the younger boy’s forehead, to his disappointment, it was still warm. He left the room and went out to his schedule.

Jonghyun hadn’t returned home until one in the morning, he was utterly exhausted both physically and mentally, but he wanted to check on Key. When he came into the younger boy’s room, he noticed that the younger was awake and trying to urge the younger to lay back down. Key looked at the older, seeing how to tired he looked said, “Y-you should get some sleep Jonghyun, I’m feeling better, don’t worry about me.” Jonghyun was glad to hear that the younger was feeling better. He sighed and said, “but you still need to rest.” Jonghyun tried to get Key to lay down.

The younger sighed and lay back down, coughing a little bit. “Jjong, will you stay with me?” The sick boy wondered. Jonghyun was a little surprised by the request, “I feel better with you near by.” Key confessed. Jonghyun smiled and took Key’s hand, “If that’s what you want, I’ll stay with you all night.” Key smiled and fell asleep once more.