Version B

Instant Noodles

Chaeyoung was lying on her back while staring at the ceiling. She took a quick glance to the digital clock that was hanging on the freshly painted walls. It was 2:30 am. She had been lying in bed, trying to fall asleep, for nearly 5 hours now. Chaeyoung looked over to the bed opposite hers. Nayeon was sound asleep.

Wait. Come to think of it, she hadn’t seen her roommate change sleeping positions or even moved a single inch ever since they had switched off the lights at 10 pm. Worried that her roommate might have died in her sleep, Chaeyoung got out of bed and walked over to the older girl. After steadying her hand, she placed her index finger right below Nayeon’s nostrils to check if the girl was still breathing. Relief washed over her when she felt warm air hitting her finger. Well, good to know that at least her roommate is alive and still breathing.

Chaeyoung glanced at the clock again. It was now 2:40 am. Wow. Did she really just spend 10 minutes checking to see if her roommate is still alive? The insomniac was about to make her way back to her bed when her stomach rumbled. Out of instinct, she quickly clutched her stomach. Worried her roommate might have woken up from the loud noise; she turned her head to check on Nayeon. The squirtle look-a-like was still sound asleep.

The young girl gently patted her stomach as though to tame the wild monster.

“Hang in there buddy. I’ll get the food to you soon.” She whispered to her stomach.

The two roommates had only had fried chicken for dinner since they were both too tired to cook. Well, not like they could cook anything besides instant noodles to begin with but hush, no one needs to know about that. Not wanting to create any more noise, Chaeyoung made her way out of the room.

With small and quiet steps, she made her way to the kitchen. Thankfully she didn’t stub a toe while making her way to the kitchen in the dark. Eager to fill her stomach, she opened the cupboard to grab one of those cup noodles that had attempted to taste like kimchi soup. To her disappointment, the cupboard was void of cup noodles. Heck, it was practically empty.

Then it hit Chaeyoung, she has yet to go grocery shopping after feeding the wild beasts called Momo and Jungyeon. The couple were sharing the apartment with Nayeon and her. However, Momo and Jungyeon had moved in a day before them but the couple had been kind enough to help Nayeon and her move.

To repay their kindness and to celebrate the freedom of finally living away from their parents, the girls had ordered fried chicken and Chinese takeout but of course Momo and Jungyeon couldn’t stop whining about how long the delivery was going to take. Annoyed with their constant whining, Nayeon had cooked for them each a bowl of instant noodles that Chaeyoung had kept as her private stash.

“Looks like I have to go out and get some food.” The girl said out loud to herself.

It was snowing outside and it was probably below 0°C but for the sake of her stomach and her craving for instant noodles, she would brave the cold weather. Making her way back to her shared room, she quietly changed into more appropriate attire and made sure she had her wallet, phone and earphones.

After checking that she had brought along her essentials, she went out of the room and headed straight to the door. She put on her boots and left the apartment. As she made her way to the elevator, she realized she had no idea if there was even a convenience store nearby that was open at this hour. She took out her phone and did a quick search. Her best friend, Google, pointed out that there was a 7-11 just around the corner of her new apartment complex.

Not wanting to freeze to death, the teenager jogged towards the store. Of course she deeply regretted that decision after almost slipping on the slippery pavement twice (see what I did there ;)). Finally she spotted the ridiculous green, orange and red 7-11 sign. Her stomach rumbled once again and almost immediately she clutched her stomach.

With a huff (and a puff), she pushed open the doors to heaven, I mean, 7-11. The store was of a pretty decent size although if compared to the convenience store in her hometown, it would have been considered a joke. Size aside, food is now essential as her stomach once again rumbled. As though attracted by an invisible magnet, the teenager’s feet were brought to the instant noodles section. Her eyes lit up and she couldn’t help the smile that was slowly creeping onto her face.

Right in front of her were rows and rows of instant noodles. Soup based, non-soup, spicy, non-spicy, weird flavours, local brands, foreign brands, you name it, and this 7-11 has it. Chaeyoung was tempted to get one of each kind but she wasn’t a glutton and for goodness sake, it’s already 3 am, she didn’t want to wake up with a swollen face.

However, on this cold winter night, the 17 year old was craving for something spicy and hot to warm herself up. She was now looking for her favourite brand of instant noodles, Shin Ramyun. Much to her dismay, this 7-11 had all the other brands but not Shin Ramyun.

“What kind of 7-11 doesn’t sell Shin Ramyun??” Chaeyoung asked aloud. She had scanned through the rows twice and yet, no sign of her favourite ramen. Unhappy, Chaeyoung stamp her feet on the floor. One would have thought she was a 10 year old throwing a tantrum if they hadn’t known her age.

“Umm miss?” A soft voice was heard. Chaeyoung thought her anger had caused her to hallucinate but when she turned around to where she assume was the source of the voice, the sight of a frowning redhead greeted her.

“What?” Chaeyoung snapped. She knew it was rude but seriously, she hadn’t had proper sleep since last night, she’s hungry and for goodness sake, this stupid store didn’t have her favourite brand of instant noodles.

“Can I help you?” The redhead asked.

Chaeyoung noticed her that the girl was wearing a red shirt with a small 7-11 logo pinned on it. Right below the logo was a nametag and “MINA” was written on it. So Mina works here. “Yes. Do you guys have Shin Ramyun?”

“Ahh. Shin Ramyun? It’s usually here. I think my colleague must have forgotten to stock up.” The redhead tried to explain.

“WHAT???” Chaeyoung yelled causing Mina to flinch but before she could explain that there’s probably more in the storeroom, she was cut off. “WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOUR COLLEAGUE FORGOT?? SHIN RAMYUN IS SO POPULAR! IT’S THE BEST SELLER!! HOW COULD YOU FORGET ABOUT SUCH A LEGENDARY BRAND??”

Mina was honestly speechless. She was going to assume that the shorter girl in front of her was drunk but she looked too young to drink. Maybe she had a rough day? But it was already 3 am. Keeping her usual calm composure, Mina explained, “I can bring you some from the storeroom if you want.”

Hearing this, Chaeyoung almost instantly calmed down. Her fiery eyes were softening. “You would do that?” Chaeyoung asked in a tone so sweet, Mina was worried she could attract ants. 

“Um, uh. Yeah. Sure. I mean that’s my job anyway.” Mina was starting to wonder if the girl was a bipolar or has a split personality. Chaeyoung then hurriedly shooed Mina off to get her beloved instant noodles.

 

*

 

When Mina came back with 10 bowls of Shin Ramyun, she was surprised to see the customer already at the payment counter. Not wanting the younger girl to wait any longer, Mina decided that she could just stock up after she had settled this customer. The cashier however did not expect the customer to be buying more ingredients to add into her bowl of instant noodles.

“I don’t mean to be rude but are you sure you want to add all that into your bowl? I don’t think they will fit.” The cashier asked before scanning the items her customer had presented.

“Yeah don’t worry. I’ll make it fit.” Chaeyoung shrugged.

“If you say so.” Mina began to scan the items. 1 bowl of Shin Ramyun, 2 hard-boiled eggs, 1 packet of kimchi, a slice of processed cheese and a packet of freeze dried squid that Mina didn’t even know existed.

“That would be 8000 won.” Chaeyoung eagerly handed her money and before Mina could return her change or even ask her if she needed a bag, the teenager had already grabbed all her items and made her way to a table that was attached to one of the walls in the store.

Like a professional, Chaeyoung quickly ripped open the bowl’s lid, adder her eggs, freeze dried squid and emptied the pack of kimchi into the bowl. She then made her way to the hot water dispenser and poured the scalding hot water into her bowl. With careful steps (so as to not spill her precious soup), she made her way to the table and placed the slice of cheese on the lid. She then waited patiently for her noodles to cook.

Mina, who was still frozen in her spot, took quite awhile to fully comprehend what had just happened. When she had snapped out of it, she brought the change that she was suppose to return to her customer.

“Hey, you forgot your change.” Mina placed the change on the table next to Chaeyoung.

“Ahh. Thank you,” Chaeyoung looked at the nametag once again, “Mina-ssi.” She offered the redhead a smile.

“No worries.” Mina was about to go back to the cash counter when she felt a hand grabbing her wrist. She turned around, knowing who it was.

“I would like to apologize for my rude behaviour earlier on. I’m really hungry.” Chaeyoung unknowingly had her lower lips jutted out slightly; a sight too adorable for Mina’s poor heart.

Mina cleared a little, suddenly feeling parched. “It’s fine. It’s the first time to happen to me but I guess that’s better than the drunk ahjussi yesterday.”

Chaeyoung giggled and Mina thought it was the cutest thing she has ever heard.

“Do you want a drink?” Mina heard herself ask, what was she thinking?

“Is that a pickup line?”

Mina had a confused look. “Sorry. What?”

“Isn’t that a common pickup line by guys for girls at bars?”

The cashier could only chuckle. This girl was too innocent. “How old are you?”

“Old enough to be out alone on a cold winter night.”

“Old enough? Girl, you look like a 13 year old.”

“I DO NOT!!” Chaeyoung slammed her chopsticks onto the table and turned to face Mina. “I’M 17! I’M OLD ENOUGH!”

Mina had to stifle her laughter. “Ahhh so you’re 17. That explains why you’re so innocent.”

Annoyed that she had accidentally blurted out her age, Chaeyoung turned around and picked up her chopsticks; ready to begin her feast. Completely forgetting that the noodles are probably scalding hot, Chaeyoung lifted quite a huge amount of noodles and without cooling them down, quickly placed them in .

Feeling the noodles scalding her tongue, the younger girl instinctively removed the noodles from . She then started coughing because some of the soup had gone down the wrong pipe. Seeing this, Mina panicked. It was only her second day at work. She could not afford to have someone as cute as this teenager die in front of her.

Without much thought, Mina quickly went to the fridge nearby and grabbed a bottle of water from it. With all her strength, she squeezed the bottle tightly to get a good grip and twisted the cap. When the bottle was opened, some of the water spilled on the floor.

Seeing as her customer was still choking, Mina handed her the bottle and yelled, “DON’T DIE ON ME CUTIE!!!!!”

Chaeyoung snatched the bottle from the redhead’s grip and quickly took big gulps of water. The cold water seems to help with the burning sensation on her tongue. When she felt better, she heaved a sigh of relief.

“Thanks for the drink.” Chaeyoung held up the water bottle.

“No worries. I was gonna buy you a drink anyway.”

“Oh really? Why?” Chaeyoung smirked, “Because I’m a cutie?”

Mina felt her cheeks start to heat up and she is willing to bet her life that she was sure her cheeks were now a shade of pink or red.

“N-no. It’s just that. I always need something to drink when I eat Shin Ramyun since it’s spicy.”

“So you think I can’t handle spicy food?”

“Isn’t that why you choked earlier on?” Chaeyoung could only look at the cashier in disbelief. Was this girl being serious? What kind of a Korean would she be if she couldn’t handle spicy food?

“For your information,” Chaeyoung picked up her once discarded chopsticks, “I am very good at handling spicy food.” She picked up a smaller amount of noodles and lightly blew cold air onto it to cool it down.

“Ahhh so you’re a 17 year old who likes spicy food.”

“Is this how you’re gonna get to know me?” Chaeyoung asked after chewing the noodles. She grabbed the bottle of water and took a few sips; her tongue was still upset from the shock of the piping hot noodles.

“I still don’t know your name.” Chaeyoung had almost spat out the water she was drinking.

“It’s Chaeyoung.”

“I’m Mina.”

“I can tell.” The younger girl pointed to the cashier’s nametag.

One could tell that Mina was embarrassed from how red her cheeks were but really; she was dying to continue the conversation with this cutie.

“I’m 19 and I don’t like spicy food.”

“Good to know unni.” Chaeyoung said without looking at Mina, her attention is now fully on the bowl of instant noodles.

Sensing that the other girl didn’t want to be disturbed, Mina placed the bottle cap that she had forgotten she was holding, on the table.

“I have to get back to work now. Eat well, Chaeyoung-ssi.”

Chaeyoung didn’t know why she felt guilty. It’s not like it’s her fault that Mina has to get back to work, right? She checked the time on her phone. It was already 3:40 am. She was barely done with the noodles but somehow she felt a little full.

‘Maybe it’s the water.’ She thought to herself.

 

*

 

When Mina was finally back at her workstation, the payment counter, she saw that the were still 9 bowls of Shin Ramyun that she was suppose to fill the empty shelves with. Mina sighed. She picked up 6 of the noodles (3 bowls of noodles neatly stacked in each hand) and made her way to the rows of instant noodles.

Forgetting that she had yet to clean the spill from earlier, Mina slipped and fell. However, it was weird because she didn’t remember the floors to be this soft and since when did the floor tasted like cherries? Opening her eyes that she had unknowingly closed, she was greeted by the sight of a pair of wide eyes. Not fully registering what was happening, Mina stared into those eyes for a while longer.

Chaeyoung on the other hand, didn’t quite understand why Mina wasn’t getting up. Like in your typical drama scene, their lips had met when Chaeyoung had cushioned Mina’s fall. All she had wanted to do was help the girl by catching her when she falls, but sadly that didn’t turn out as planned because she herself had slipped on the small puddle of water.

The younger girl tried her very best to lean backwards, trying to pull her lips away from Mina’s but the latter simply followed her by leaning forward.

“Could you get off of me?” Chaeyoung tried to mumble. Snapping out of her trance, Mina quickly got up and started hitting her head with her hand.

“Ahh stupid penguin! Bad penguin! Naughty penguin!” Mina started scolding herself.  

Chaeyoung was trying her best to not laugh at the sight in front of her. She got up, dusted her pants and shirt and grabbed both of Mina’s wrists.

“Stop.” Chaeyoung ordered then placed Mina’s hands in between the two of them, “You’re gonna hurt yourself and I’m not willing to take over for your shift tonight.”

Mina wasn’t sure if the younger girl was teasing her or trying to joke but the smile on the latter’s face had been evidence that the girl was a total cutie.

“I wouldn’t mind if that means I get to spend more time with you.” Mina quickly covered with one of her hand when she realized that she had accidentally blurted out her thoughts. What the heck Myoui Mina??

The poor younger girl who was still not used to being hit on was left speechless.

“Ha. Ha. Ha. I was kidding. Ha. Ha. Really.” Mina tried to change the topic, “I’m gonna clean this mess up before someone slips again.” And she hurriedly made her way to the storeroom to get the floor mop.

Chaeyoung stood there frozen for a few seconds before she made her way back to the comfort of her noodles.

 

*

 

Mina could have sworn that she felt eyes staring at her while she was re-arranging the instant noodles. However, whenever she would turn to look at Chaeyoung, the younger girl would be slurping her noodles or drinking the soup from the instant noodles. She was sure the 7-11 outlet wasn’t haunted. She had done a thorough research on this outlet after she had received the call saying she would be permanently working night shift here.

When she was done re-arranging and making sure everything was neat and in order, she made her way to the cashier counter. Seeing as there were no other customers besides Chaeyoung, she took out her colouring book and colour pencils. No, do not judge her for owning a colouring book. It was after all, an adult colouring book. Besides, it’s a trend (coughexcusescough).

She flipped open to a page filled with penguins. Each penguin had different intricate designs on their body so Mina’s job was to make her family the penguins look beautiful and colourful instead of their usual black and white feathers.

“Aren’t you a little too old to be colouring things like that?”

Mina had almost snapped her neck with how fast she had looked up from her masterpiece. The cutie was standing in front of her, a teasing smile plastered on her face. The cashier was tempted to hit her face with the colouring book so she would stop smiling like that because her heart was starting to flutter once again.

“I don’t remember there being an age limit to colouring books. Besides,” Mina closed her book to show Chaeyoung the cover of the colouring book that had, ‘Creative Colouring For Grown-Ups’ written on it.

“Ok ok. Jeez. I was just teasing you.”

“I see you’re done with your noodles.” Mina noted the empty table, thankful that the younger girl was responsible enough to clean up after herself.

“Yeah. I guess I’ll leave now.”

Mina nodded her head.

“Have a safe trip home. It’s getting colder so remember to wear thicker clothes.” Mina felt stupid saying that but then again what was she supposed to do? Ask for Chaeyoung’s number?

“Yeah. Will do. I’ll see you around then. Thank you Mina-ssi.”

“Thank you for stopping by.” Mina the ever-polite girl replied and waved at Chaeyoung.

The younger girl waved back and made her way towards the exit. She was close to the exit when she suddenly stopped in her tracks. She turned around and made her way back to the cashier. Mina had resumed colouring. Chaeyoung took Mina’s red colour pencil and started scribbling a line of numbers on the page that Mina was colouring.

“Hey! What do you think you’re doing?” Mina raised her voice and grabbed Chaeyoung’s wrist. Thankfully the younger girl was done scribbling.

“I don’t always do this. Heck, I’m even new in this town and I don’t know anyone. For all I know, you could be a serial killer or something. But that’s my number. Call me.”

Mina was speechless. Did her customer just give her their number?

“Oh and for the record, you’re cute too.” Chaeyoung smirked before making her way out of the convenience store.

The cashier quickly grabbed her phone from her pocket and saved Chaeyoung’s number as though afraid that those numbers would magically disappear from her colouring book. She heaved a sigh of relief when she had managed to save the number (and even managed to check the numbers twice to ensure they matched).

With a stupid grin on her face she typed in a message, “Text me when you get home. – Mina”


Haaaaaaai

So there you go that's Version B. 

Please don't ask for a Version C HAHAHAHA

Anyway, feel free to comment which scene is your favourite or your least favourite. Or maybe your opinions on how I could improve.

Totally unrelated to this story but did anyone else notice the gap between MiChaeng? HAHAHAHAHA 

IN THE MEAN TIME, I'M REWARDING MYSELF WITH INSTANT NOODLES AFTER I PUBLISH THIS CHAPTER. YAAAAAASSSS COME TO ME INSTANT NOODLES