A Geisha Named Minji

Secret of the Lotus Garden

      Minji looked in the mirror at her half painted white face. Scooping the creamy white paint onto her brush and dragging it across her face and neck. It made her pale like a ghost and whitened out her eyebrows. She took the steaming charcoal of liner that she had and penciled in her brows. Her hair pulled up out of her face into a bun like style with a few strands scattered about. She handled her paint brush with care as she carefully formed her bright red lips. Her debut as a maiko had been meer wweeks ago, but she was already very popular as was her sister and teacher Koda. Minji was known as On'na Hasu or Lotus girl.

     Minji stood holding her breath as the elder servant woman tightened the bow of her kimono as tight as she possibly could. Lastly, Minji inserted the pin with drooping sakura flowers. She knew most anyone now would find her the most beautiful. And for now she was unhappy with that. For soon she would have to sell her virtue in order to become a true geisha.

    "Hasu, come it is time to go," her older sister said. Minji of course obeyed following behind Koda at their petite rate. They were going now to a meeting for which they were hired. The city was bussling with people as they headed home after a long day. They made their way through the crowd, turning corners left and right until at last they reached their destination. The doors slid open for them to enter into a room where men bustled and laughed as they drank sake. A few other Geisha were there already. At the head of the room sat Kenji who'm Koda always entertained and as usual made her way over to his side. Minji found herself with tea kettle in hand as she went from guest to guest pouring them tea and lighting their smokes. As she was nearing the head of the table she found a pair of strong looking, yet  inticing hands holding up a glass for her to pour tea in.

     "And what is your name might I ask?" Minji looked over at Kenji as he asked glancing over at Minji and then the man in front of her. Minji looked in front of her at the man. She felt her heart racing as she looked at him. His hair was slick and his eyes were knowing, but soft. He watched Minji carefully with a gentle smile on his face.

     "Her name is On'na Hasu,"  Koda answered simply, "Shall she show you some of her skills? She is an amazing dancer." Minji finished her rounds around the room always glancing at the strange man next to Kenji and Koda.

       "What do you think Pyo shall we see her dance?" Kenji looked at the man next to them the one watching Minji. He glanced at Kenji then back at Minji.

       "Well Hasu?" Kenji and Koda glanced at me. I shook m head yes in understanding. I got up in the front of the room holding my fans in my hand I looked around one last time. Koda cuddled into Kenji. He was her dan'na and had paid for her virtue. Truth was Kenji and Koda were inlove with eachother, but the mother of our house wasm't supposed to know for Koda would be banned from seeing Kenji. Falling in love was something a geisha was not to do.

    Minji moved to the music gracefully flipping her fans here and there. She finished with grace and everyone clapped. Minji then took her seat looking at Pyo. He winked at her and said, "That was absolutely beaautiful Hasu." Minji's heart raced she thought it might burst from her chest.. She felt lucky that his seat was next to himas he was who she was mainly to entertain. Minji was being as careful as possible when she did anything as he, Pyo, studied her carefully.

     Minji glanced back as her and Koda made their way from the gathering. Pyo was still watching her and once more winked.

That night as Minji slept she had a dream.

    Minji was in a gathering room, except it was only her and Pyo there. "Hasu." He said getting closer to her.

 
   "My name is Minji. Hasu is only my geisha name." He came closer and gently touched her face. As soon as their skin came into sontact their surroundings changed and they were under a Sakura tree. He leaned in and touched his lips to hers. She felt her heart melting. Then they sat there cuddled together.
 
​Minji awoke with her heart racing, but she was uncontrollably happy. Wha is going on with me? She thought to herself looking around a bit lost in her room from her dream. Why did this Pyo man make her heart race...and Why did she dream about him?
 
 

"How odd," she thought.