Yearn

What Jealousy Does

He would stare at him idly as he walked by. Hongbin would impatiently tap his feet every morning when talking with his friends until he saw the angel like boy.

Those all too pretty eyes and full bow shaped lips with the rich, velvet voice that could lull an ocean to sleep entranced Hongbin’s every fibre. Sanghyuk was the epitome of perfection in Hongbin’s eyes. It took Hongbin a maximum of one month to realise that well yes he had a crush on the guy. He was completely mortified however because, well, to put it simply, Hongbin and Sanghyuk had been enemies since the beginning of highschool.

For years they despised each other. Always at each other’s throats. Hongbin wasn’t going to lie, since he realised he had a crush on Sanghyuk, he always made it a must to get on top of him during a fight because he loved watching his beloved squirm under him. He loved sitting on the younger’s stomach and subtly grinding on him. He loved the small whimper Sanghyuk would give. Sadistic much!

Hongbin never took his little crush further because he knew Sanghyuk didn’t feel the same way. It saddened him at times when Sanghyuk would glare at him with nothing but distaste and anger. Hongbin accepted this and knew that they were both too far into their little game of cat and mouse to get anywhere but things changed. Oh yes, the day the new kid came things changed.

Lee Sungjae! Hongbin watched from his seat as Sanghyuk excitedly got up and threw his arms around the bunny looking teenager. With exclamations like, “OH MY GOD I didn’t know you were coming here!” and “Hyukkie baby I missed you!”

Hongbin’s blood boiled. Who was this damn Sungjae kid to call HIS Sanghyuk ‘Hyukkie baby?’ Hongbin felt like strangling everything and kissing the stupid smile Sanghyuk was wearing right off his pretty face!

The two did everything together and Sungjae took it upon himself to defend Sanghyuk whenever Hongbin and he had a fight. It was driving the dimpled boy to insanity.

“Who the does he think he is? He can’t just come and take MY Hyuk away from me hyung!” Hongbin seethed to his best friend.

“It would help if you told the poor kid how you feel you know Bean.”

“Shut the up, no one asked you!”

“Uhhh yeah , you did!” Hongbin scowled at Hakyeon and threw a pillow at him.  They were in Hakyeon’s room and were supposed to be doing homework but instead Hongbin was reeling in anger and frustration.

“Hyuuuuuuuung, he whined, why doesn’t Hyukkie like me?”

“Maybe because you punch him in the face and he sabotages you at every given moment?” Hongbin groaned at flopped face down on the bed. “Bean, you should quote that ‘How deep is your love’ song to him.” Hakyeon burst out laughing at his best friend’s misery.

“ you N hyung.”

“Only Taekwoon can do that to me BeanBong!” Hongbin groaned again and cursed his life.

For weeks, Hongbin watched as the one he loved seemed to be falling in love with another and he cried. It came as a surprised because Hongbin rarely cried but it hurt. All jokes aside, it really stung and hurt the day he saw Sungjae lean in and kiss Sanghyuk on the lips. However, brief it was, it was still a kiss and Hongbin felt something break him. Hongbin couldn’t see after the tears blurred his vision so he failed to see the confused expression on Sanghyuk’s face. He failed to see Sanghyuk pushing Sungjae away. He failed to see that Sanghyuk saw when he turned away and slumbered to the back of the school.

The day after, Hongbin didn’t give Sanghyuk his customary ‘loser’ as a morning greeting, he didn’t look at anyone and he barely ate. He didn’t notice Hakyeon’s huff of annoyance and didn’t think much of his best friend’s absence from their Chemistry period together. He was a complete mess.

Hongbin screwed up in his Biology lab and got in detention thus the reason he was the only one in the school at six and of course the world had to hate him because it started to rain. Still in his depressed state Hongbin failed to realise another thing, someone had fallen into step with him and was holding an umbrella over his head. “Why are you being such a sour puss Hongbin?”

That voice.

Hongbin snapped out of his stupor and took notice of the person beside him. “Go away Han Sanghyuk” he muttered. Too tired and sad to raise his voice a decibel higher. Hongbin looked at him, and when his eyes reached his lips, he remembered that just yesterday Sungjae’s had been there and Hongbin felt his chest tighten once more. He made an attempt to escape Sanghyuk and his umbrella but Sanghyuk was having none of that. He ‘tsked’ and grabbed Hongbin’s hand and pulled him into his chest.

Sanghyuk turned Hongbin around so that they were facing eachother and he studied the shorter’s face. “What’s wrong?” Hongbin didn’t answer and tried to escape again but Sanghyuk’s iron grip prevented him from doing so. “Lee Hongbin, look at me and tell me what’s wrong!”

“Nothing. I just have some stuff going on that’s all. Let me go Sanghyuk” he feebly requested which of course fell onto deaf ears.

“That’s not what Hakyeon said Hongbin.” This caught Hongbin’s attention.

“What? What did he say…wait…when did you guys talk? You guys know eachother?”

“Today when I think he skipped a class and pulled me out of my art class. He told me something interesting Hongbin but I need you to tell me. I need to hear it from you before I believe anything.”

“I have no idea what he told you but whatever it was you can’t believe him. Hakyeon is crazy.” Sanghyuk frowned at this.

“But what if I want to believe what he said? What if I just need to hear it from your lips because I need you to say it.” Hongbin couldn’t begin to comprehend what was happening. Did Hakyeon tell Sanghyuk how he felt? Did Sanghyuk feel the same way?

No, Hongbin thought, there’s no way he feels the same. He has Sungjae.”

“You don’t know what you’re talking about Han Sanghyuk now let me go before I—“

“Before you what? Punch me? You haven’t even looked at me in weeks muchless punch me, and what do you mean I don’t know what I’m talking about? I damn well know and you damn well know also so if you’re too ing chicken to say it then I’ll say it. You like me Lee Hongbin. You actually like me and you know what I—“

“NO…don’t say it because you’d be lying. You don’t like me, you like Sungjae, you look at him like he’s some sort of a god and—“

“Oh my god you idiot” Sanghyuk dropped the umbrella and shut Hongbin up with his lips. He smirked as Hongbin whimpered and kissed him back. When Sanghyuk pulled away he smiled at the blissed expression on Hongbin’s face then staggered back as Hongbin punched him in the face.

“WHAT THE LEE HONGBIN!?” Hongbin cringed at the split lip and the blood mixing with the rain water but he felt so angry.

“YOU CAN’T KISS ME LIKE THAT WHEN YOU PROBABLY KISSED SUNGJAE ALL NIGHT LAST NIGHT. HOW DARE YOU DO THAT TO ME AND HIM?”

“WHAT THE HELL?” Sanghyuk calmed down, “Sungjae kissed me yesterday Hongbin. I don’t like him. How dense are you? I like you. I want you ok. I want you to kiss me and I want you to be the one that I kiss between classes, and at lunch, and after dates and during boring movies. Hell, Hongbin I want you to be the one that kisses me after you punch me in the face. And since you’re so dumb I mean NOW! I want you to kiss me now. You , you think you were the only one suffering? How do you think I felt when Gongchan your ‘childhood friend’, kissed you infront of everyone on pepero day? Goddamit Lee Hongbin I liked you since then and that was ing one year ago!”

By this time, both teens were soaking wet, both with bruised hearts, one with a split lip and one with tears mixing with the rain. Hongbin took a tentative step towards Sanghyuk and cupped his cheeks while drowning in his eyes, “I’m so sorry Hyuk” and he carefully closed the small gap between them.

When he pulled away Sanghyuk leaned his forehead against Hongbin’s, “do you think maybe we could stop fighting now?”

“Yes please.”

“And maybe go on our first date…to a café…where there’s coffee and warmth?”

“Oh hell yeah!”

“Good, let’s go.”

“Wait…I never did say it…I like you Han Sanghyuk. I really like you.”

They both smiled at each other and walked hand in hand.