The Umbrella Guy

Cute And Mute

 

 

Kyuhyun’s POV

 

“Gosh! What the heck?!”

I ran with my full force, using my bag to cover my half drenched hair. The weather report assumed the day to be sunny but suddenly it’s pouring down like crazy. And for God flipping sake, I am late for school. My report card never shows any problem in academics but I would do my best to fix my disciplinary report even though it is impossible.

“Ahh, my is gonna go numb again.” My mind now is remembering Sir Jang with his cane stick. My body trembled due to the thought.

Shuffling my wet hair; trying to get the water off, I was shocked by the sudden clicking sound just next to me. Now that I think of it, I’m taking a shelter just in front of someone’s apartment. Opening slowly, the door revealed a face that is unknown to me. He is shorter than me for sure, with dark red hair and bulging cheekbones. His eyes are looking down only to look at me within a second and I can see a shock expression on his small face. He bowed a little, hands holding an umbrella, guess knowing for sure about the rainy day. I tried to stop my wild eyes, I did try with my best; I thought so but they are quickly inspecting the male whole body just to notice that he is wearing the same school uniform as mine. A freshman?

“Sorry, I was just taking a shelter.” I tried to get rid of the pulsating tension and cleared my throat as I finished my line. He bowed again, closing the door behind him and locked it. Guess, he is living alone. At this age? Well, not that it is weird but a freshman living alone is quite rare.

Turning away from me, he stopped his step and turned back to me, staring. I felt the weird aura crawled up my spine, making me to look forward; avoiding his gaze. I peeked through the corner of my eye just to know that he is still staring. My heart is beating fast and I tried to ignore it. He is staring! Staring! Staring! Am I that good looking? I smiled at that thought but waved it off quickly.

Feeling weird every second, I decided to just walk away into the rain. The stare is too freaking strong. I might get a hole in my head from it. As I’m stepping into the rain, I heard a rustled step behind me and an umbrella appeared above my head. I looked to my side; the boy just looks to his feet; maybe waiting for me to move. Ahhh...maybe that’s why he is staring.

“Is this okay? I mean, I don’t want to trouble you.” Well, my conscious and considerate self is quite flashy and pure. I’m quite well known for that.

The boy nodded slowly, as he looked at me, a smile flashed on his lips sending me off guard for awhile. I was flabbergasted, feeling how my heart started to beat faster again. Looking away, I grabbed the umbrella from his hand, and stood a bit closer. “I’m taller, I guess I should hold it.” Gosh, why am I explaining?

The boy nodded again. That’s all? This boy never replied me! Ignoring that, we started to walk slowly to school. I peeked through my jacket’s sleeve for my watch and know it for myself that I’m freaking late but whatever; The Jang gangster will understand that it is freaking raining. But, this trip is killing me. It’s too silent.

“Are you a freshman? You are going to the same school as me.” I tried to start a conversation. The boy looked at me with his widened eyes, and shook his head. That’s all?! Again! “Then, a second year?” However he shook his head again. That’s mean... “Third year? A senior? Same as me?”He nodded, looking in front. Gosh, same age as me?! He doesn’t look my age though.

“But you don’t look like a senior.” I scratched my head with my free hand. He gave me a small smile over the statement. Again again! I scrunched my face as a reaction to his lack of communicating skill. Either he is just lazy to open his mouth or he doesn’t find this conversation thrilling at all. Still, he should find I am thrilling. And why am I freaking bothered about what this guy think of me?!

“Are you afraid of me?”

He stopped his track suddenly. He shook his head as an answer to my question, his hands flailing as to say no to me. “So, I know we are quite strangers but look, you never replied to me. Not with words.”

His eyes widened. Quickly, he scrambled into his jacket’s pocket getting out a notebook and a pen. His fingers quickly writing and in eagerness showed it to me. I am sorry, I want to answer but I can’t.

I lifted an eyebrow. “Can’t? Why?”

He wrote again. I am mute.

Showing the note to me, he lowered his head, looking to his feet again. My mouth makes a silent lamentation over my foolishness. Stupid Kyuhyun! Wahhhhh! I can’t believe your stupidity seriously! Scratching my head and trying to gather the words in my head for an apology, he wrote again and tore it up. The note clamped into my palm before he took off into the rain.

“Hey! Where are you going?!” I yelled, feet quickly tried to chase him but stopped when suddenly the gate for the train railway was closed. Under the umbrella i see him running until the train passed and I lost him from my sight. What the heck just happened?

I opened my palm, clamping the umbrella using my shoulder as i try to open the crumpled note.

I’m sorry, just leave the umbrella by my door if you want to.

“Gosh, what is there to be sorry about?” my hand clamping the umbrella tight. “At least leave me a note with your name.”

 

 

Ryeowook’s POV

 

What a bad first day at the new school! Is this a bad omen about this school? Is everything going to repeat itself again?

And that expression, I guess it is still a freaking disability to be mute. And here I thought maybe I could make a friend even before reaching the school. And now that I have arrived here, the teachers are looking at me with pity over my drenched self. I don’t know what I have been thinking but, I just find myself running away from that guy when I looked at his shocked expression. But what am I expecting? Looking at that guy’s appearance, he must be quite popular at this school.

“What happened? Don’t you have an umbrella or anything?” The teacher asked, my eyes trailed towards her nametag showing Miss Lee Sora. I looked at my feet, sighing as I do so. This is seriously a bad day. “And this is your first day, you know you shouldn’t be late right?”

I nodded, agreeing with that statement. I took out my note book, luckily, it is not so wet. I am sorry, Miss Lee. I wouldn’t repeat it. I showed it to her and bowed; a habit that I have since I was at five years old.

Miss Lee sighed, and smiled. “It’s okay. I will forgive you since you are cute.” She said, standing as she picked up a file. “Now, follow me. Let’s introduce you to your classmates.”

From behind, like a duckling, I followed her while I keep my head down. Along the hallway, I can hear the voice of teachers teaching and asking students to wake up. My eyes wondering throughout the hallway until my forehead bumped into Miss Lee’s back. She chuckled and opened the door in front of her to reveal quite a noisy class. I followed her from behind, and Miss Lee banged her book onto the teacher’s desk to bring everyone’s attention towards us.

“Is this a nightclub?!” Miss Lee scolded and received soft laughs from her students.

“Would you like to join us to one?” A male student asked, causing laughter throughout the class. I wanted to look up but nervousness took over me.

Miss Lee snorted. “Like hell I will even try to party with kiddies like you guys.” The statement caused the whole class to boo at her. During those commotions the back door of the class opened, I can hear it and I can see Miss Lee’s fingers trickled the table. “Cho Kyuhyun!”

“Yeah yeah I am late. Blame the miss weather report.” The late student said causing Miss Lee to sigh.

“Whatever. So guys today we have a new guy.” Miss Lee started; her hand reached my shoulder as a sign for me to look up. I slowly looked at the whole class and found that every pair of eyes is looking at me until I reached at the back seat and my eyes met with his. It’s that umbrella guy! He looked at me in shock but quickly rested his chin on his palm and waved at me with a smile on his lips. I looked away.

“This is Kim Ryeowook. Your new friend. Please be nice, okay?” Miss Lee said in her soft voice but somehow I can sense the threat behind her words.

“Is he new to umbrella too? He is drenched to bone.” A blond guy asked, looking at me with his titled head.

“Sungmin, sometimes there are day we called as a bad day.” Miss Lee replied on my behalf. “And guys, Ryeowook has his own disability, I hope you all can be nice to him.” Upon that I looked down again. Seriously, I wish I was born normal.

“What disability? His cuteness?” Another guy asked. I looked at him find myself quite shocked by his glittering eyes. Gosh, he is handsome.

“Donghae, stop flirting. He will tell you when he wants to. For now, Ryeowook, you can take a seat over there.” Miss Lee pointed at an empty seat at the end of the class. I walked towards the seat and smiled when my seatmate looked up to me. She is beautiful.

“Hi, I’m Yoona.” She introduced herself, as I took a seat next to her.

Without wasting any time I reached my notebook. I am Ryeowook. Nice to meet you, Yoona.

“Ehhh, what’s with the notebook?” Yoona looked at me, a bit strange.

This is my disability. I replied.

Yoona looked at me, maybe is trying to figure out more behind my replies, until she suddenly pointed at me in her sudden light of knowledge. “Ahhhhhh! Now I know. Okay okay.” She said.

I am sorry. I wrote.

“What the hell? It is not a problem for me. I don’t really care about disability you know.” Yoona replied with a big smile. And I found myself can’t help it but to reply to it too. “There you go. Look, this class is quite a delinquent class but we don’t pick on our own friends.”

I nodded. From far I can hear Miss Lee’s voice teaching the first subject of the day which is history. I looked to my left and found myself staring at the staring eyes of his. Once again he waved at me from his seat which is three tables away from mine. I feel myself getting redder in that moment and decided to give my full attention towards the history of Constantinople instead of his mesmerizing eyes.

 

...................................................................

 

Time passed by very fast as now I am sitting with ten people around me, eating in our recess time. There is a blond guy with bunny tie clips named Sungmin. He is very cute in face but I found out that he is a black belt in taekwondo. The handsome guy named Donghae, quite a flirtiest person but Eunhyuk, his boyfriend is quite scary as when he is angry. Yoona, my seatmate which is totally cool and nice. There are also Yuri and Sunny, Yoona’s best friends.   Siwon is a quiet guy, a bookworm I thought at first but then I got to know that he is reading a novel. Shindong is a fastidious student, chubby and always has this bag of chips in his hand. Next to him is Zhoumi, a Chinese transfer student which is a bit obsessed over Henry, the school genius musician.

“So Ryeowook, what with the last year transfer?” Eunhyuk asked. Well, it is weird for a senior to transfer since it will be a hindrance in relocating for the national exam.

My dad transferred here. I lied. In fact, both of my parents were dead in an accident when I was ten and all left to me is a bank account full of life expenses.

“Oooohhhh, so are you mute since born or...” a light slap reached Eunhyuk’s cheek, from Donghae. Eunhyuk pouted. “What? It’s just a question.”

I sensed myself smiled over that. I know Eunhyuk didn’t mean anything bad from it. Yes. I replied; simple.

The others nodded. “Well, still you should be careful of this area.” Siwon suddenly blurted out.

“Don’t freak him out. This area is not that bad.” Sungmin interrupted.

Donghae snorted. “Not that bad? Remember the first year cutie?”

Henry suddenly put down his composition book. He looked at me with wide eyes; slowly his hands reached my cheeks and pinched them. “You should be careful. Do you know any martial art?”

Although shocked by his sudden touch I shook my head as a reply. “You should learn one.” Henry said putting down his hands. Literally, his hands were pulled away by Zhoumi.

Why? I wrote. Literally I looked towards Yoona.

Yoona sighed. “Well, there are cases since two months ago and the newest one around a week ago. A serial and killer.” My eyes widened. “Weirdly, the victims are all boys and from this school. And cuties like you.” Yoona explained.

“Not only that, they are killed and then the sickest part is, their eyes were taken out.” Yuri continued.

Hearing it, I feel myself trembled from the inside. My intestine feel like they are churned to pieces as my mind imagined the scene. But, seriously I wouldn’t be a victim for that right? Not that I am so freaking cute.

Suddenly, I almost jolted up from my seat; my notebook fell to the floor when a pair of arms hugged my neck from behind. Looking to my right, my heart almost jumped out of my chest when a face stilled close to mine.

“What’s with the sadist story to a new guy?” he said, eyes locked into mine.

“We are just telling him the real situation, Cho.” Siwon said.

Kyuhyun smiled before he looked away towards Siwon. “Well, someone shouldn’t touch what is other’s.”

Donghae burst into big laugh, followed by others. “Ryeowook belong to who?”

“Me of course.” Kyuhyun replied. My eyes widened.

“Gosh, since when?” Zhoumi interfered.

Kyuhyun looked back at me. “Since we shared some sweet romance memory this morning.” My mouth gaped open. “Nice to meet you Ryeowook-shi.”

Not knowing what to reply I just blink my eyes and nodded slowly. From the corner of my eyes I can sense the others looking at us in questions.

 

......................................................................

 

I walked into the toilet. It’s empty, and quite clean. My new friends’ story flashed into my mind. It is scary, and I never thought anything like that is happening in this beautiful town. But, still I should not judge the book by its cover. Washing my face on the sink I was interrupted by a sudden bang of the door, revealing several students. Looking at them from the mirror, I tend to ignore them since the intimidating aura that I got from them. Grabbing the tissue, I looked down, trying to get away from the toilet but one of them blocked my way with his big hunk body.

“Woohooo, the new student, aren’t you?” he said.

I nodded, once again trying to find my way out but blocked each time. I reached my notebook, writing on it quickly. I’m sorry but I need to get out.

Seeing my notes, they might even notice my trembling hands; all of them laughed their off. “What the ? ing mute!”

Not this again. I guess this situation can’t ever be avoided. Wherever I go, it doesn’t make any difference. Stupid me; to think that it might be different. Just standing there, I was pushed to the sink. Its hurt when my lower back hit the edge but not that I can make any sound.

“Then, it will be fun huh? Since you can’t make any sound.” One of them shoved me by my shoulder. My body started to trembled. Yeah, call me weak, not that it is totally wrong.

“Answer me!” he shouted. With shaky hands I tried to write when one of them grabbed my notebook and pen and threw them away.

“Use your freaking mouth!” he said, snickered at the end. I looked at them, in hopelessness. They knew it, it is impossible for me.

Not being able to fulfil their request, I see it coming, a fist heading to my face but stopped when the sound of a gust of water pump came from one of the toilet stall. From the toilet stall, comes a guy, a tall one with quite a buff body. I never see him today and his green hair is quite outstanding as I looked at him. The bullies also shifted their attention towards him as he zipped his trousers and walked to the sink. A gush of water wetted his hands and smirk appeared on his face. “I know you aren’t that bright, tsk.”

“The you’re saying?”

He wiped his hands using the toilet paper. “Mute can’t speak. Do I have to explain it to you? Idiot.” He reached my wrist, dragged me with him. From behind I can hear the bullies cursed under their breath. “I guess, they’re still brainless as usual.” He said, shaking his head. he let my wrist go, and without any hesitation, I bowed several times as my thanks.

He chuckled. “Look, I didn’t do it for you. I just hate it when someone interrupts me while I’m taking a dump.” He said, walking away. I was flabbergasted but still I find myself being grateful to him. I wanted to write him a thank you note but then noticed that I don’t have my notebook with me.

“His name is Dohyun. Quite a reputation he has. A second year though.” A voice shocked me from behind. As a fast reflex, I turned around just to bump into him and he without hesitation grabbed me by my shoulder. “Whoooa be careful.”

I pulled myself away, backing from him. Kyuhyun is weird for me. He is the only person until now that I can’t look directly into his face.

“Hey, about this morning.” I looked up. “I’m just good with you being mute you know.” I titled my head. Well, that is quite a compliment? “No! Not that it is good that you are mute. It’s not what I mean. What I mean is, I’m okay with it. I mean I wouldn’t see you as someone mute. Well, you are mute so I will look at you as mute but not really.”

For the first time that day, I found myself released a silent laugh.  And Kyuhyun finally stopped his blabbering sentences as he scratched his head. I reached for Kyuhyun’s pen on his shirt’s pocket and wrote a note in his palm.

I understand, idiot.

 

 

Kyuhyun’s POV

 

Waiting for Ryeowook to finish his note on my palm, I can’t help but find his little gestures are adorably cute. Finished, Ryeowook bring my palm to my face and directly I read it out loud. “I understand idiot. Heyyyyyyy.....” I whined.

Ryeowook once again laughed, not that I can hear it but from his face, I know he is laughing. Seeing that face, it mesmerized me. Well, I was never into a guy before and this is totally a shocker for me and I am still trying to coop with it without having myself blasting over ridiculous things.

“Well, where’s your book?”  I asked, noticing that his usual notebook is not with him.

He shook his head, indicating that he doesn’t have it with him.

“Okay, but do you know Dohyun?”

He shook his head again. I noticed his eyes looking, staring at me again and suddenly there’s this blush crept to his cheeks. Feeling his shyness, I contain my chuckles as we dragged our feet towards the class.

“So how is it that you are talking to him just now?” My curiosity is still building up. I don’t really know why but seriously, there’s this impalpable tension within me when I saw them together. He used my pen again, this time on his own palm. It is quite a long explanation that he only showed it to me once we reached the class’s door.

He helped me in the toilet. There are bullies. And he was in the toilet. I lost my note in the toilet. I can’t even say thank you because of that.

Ryeowook pouted. Gosh! You shouldn’t show that to anyone. But back to the written palm, I feel an urge of rage at the words bullies. “Who the hell bullied you?”

Ryeowook shook his head. He grabbed my wrist and dragged me into the class straight to my seat. He made me sit and gestured me to wait when he comes again with a paper. He took a seat next to me, an empty seat and started writing.

I don’t know them. But they know I’m a new student.

“Of course, we don’t have a lot of transferee here.” i replied. My rage cooled down a bit, just by watching him trying his best to create sentences for me.

Ooohhh, and that Dohyun guy helped me already. So don’t worry. Ryeowook’s eyes glistered towards me. Gosh! Again!

To make it more romantic, I don’t even know since when I liked that particular word, I grabbed a pen from under my table and started to write on the same paper too. I’m glad you are okay. But, next time you can call me.

Ryeowook scrunched his face. How so? I can’t speak, remember.

I face palmed myself; admitting my stupidity again for the second time of the day. Ryeowook smiled and pulled my hands from keep abusing my pity face. I’m sorry.

Ryeowook shook his head. It’s not your fault. People tend to forget.

“I will not. Ever again.” I blurted out.

Ryeowook looked at me, expressionless. Once again his face blushed and suddenly the front door rattled open revealing the math teacher. Ryeowook stood up towards his seat, my eyes trailing him and I can’t help but smile seeing him trying his best not to get caught for peeking me through the corner of his eyes. God, forgive me for ignoring the beautiful math teacher, but he is damned cute!