(MMS) An Inheritor's Marriage

REVIEW PORTFOLIO (exol_army14)

 

 





An Inheritor's Marriage

story by -Muasbby - 

Title: 8/10

The title matches the story, however, it isn't very intriguing. Usually, the title is a good sign of whether or not to read a story, but this one could go both ways. It could end up being really good, or just like anyone other story on AFF. If I was just browsing, I wouldn't click on this story, as it doesn't seem very interesting, but if I was looking for a story with this theme, I would definitely read this. Overall, the title is alright - it works fine and is related to the story, but it doesn't intrigue me.

Description/Foreword: 9/10

[Description: 4/5]

Once again, it matches the story and introduces me to the whole vibe of this story, but I still don't know whether this story will have a unique plot or not. 

[Foreword: 5/5]

It was a bit longer than most forewords, but it did convince me that this wouldn't be your typical arranged-marriage. 

Generally, it was quite good, but I think you introduced too many characters in it. So far, we have learnt of 2 main characters, 1 semi-main characters, and 2 supporting characters, as well as this mysterious her. For a foreword, which is usually just a blurb - quite short and concise - this was a bit overwhelming.

The reader did get a taste of your writing style though, which was nice. 

Also, there was some suspense at the end, which made me keep reading.

Plot: 13/15

Since the whole arranged-marriage thing is very popular on AFF, I hoped for a unique story with plenty of plottwists. Most of the time, the story was well paced, but some parts just didn't add up.

1) Her first dinner with Jinki ends with her leaving him, with no feelings for him. However, at the wedding, he kisses her and then she kisses back passionately? And then giggles and feels happy? I understand that she is quite weak in terms of personality, however, no woman is forced to marry a man and starts liking him at their second/third meeting. Yes, it's a wedding, they have to kiss, but it would be more logical for her to feel the slightest bit uncomfortable. 

2) Why is she suddenly falling for him so early? The scenes in the airplane trip happened too fast. Also, why is Jinki being a bit annoying by posting a photo with a cruel caption, then being all sweet to her?

I did like how it wasn't just a girl who was set to ruin their marriage. I think the whole 'horrible parents' plot is a bit too common, and makes the story a bit unbelievable. What I did like was that there were several plotlines going on at once, but we still have a main plot - the marriage. I think the smaller plots were fun to read, and gave the story more interest. 

When you have an arranged-marriaged plot, the things I'm expecting to see, that I really don't want to see are:

  • hospital scenes
  • constantly flying overseas
  • divorce

​Of course, you would have to use some of these to make the plotline interesting, but make sure you don't overdo it.

Character Development: 8/10

I liked how all your characters weren't one-dimensional, and how you gave the flaws in their personality. As a reader, I could relate to most of your characters. However, I think that some of your characters didn't see 'human', despite these personality flaws. They just didn't have the expected reactions to things.

JINKI: Why was he so nice to Nayeon if he was still suffering a breakup/his lover leaving? Yes, he can treat a lady well, but it was strange that he didn't get upset at her at the beginning, especially when she wasn't exactly the nicest person.

NAYEON: I've mentioned this before, but their relationship just moved too fast. Was her character meant to be the type to fall for a guy in a few chapters? There should have been a lot more development before they began to treat eachother as husband and wife. Also, she then says 'I will not let resolve our issues...I'm not that easy," but that's a bit ironic, since she was clearly easy at the beginning of the story.

To be honest, I liked the secondary characters better, because they seemed a lot more human.

Writing Style: 18/20

It wasn't that your writing style was hard to read, it was just that the whole story seemed so passive. There was a lack of action in your story - it felt like you were telling me what was happening, rather than prompting me to imagine it on my own.

Also, you sometimes write unnecessary bits of information. For example, I don't need to know that he put on his shoes before going somewhere - that can be assumed. By putting all this unnecessary information into small amount of space, it makes everything seem cramped. This makes it a lot harder to continue reading.

Sometimes, you could also use a better word to describe something. For example, 'quitely shouted' doesn't exactly make sense, but 'cried' or 'exclaimed' would.

Spelling, Grammar and Diction: 23/25

This was generally alright.

Just some small issues:

  • The beginning of chapter 24 - you kept writing 'Magnolia' instead of 'magnolia'. There is no need to use upper-case, as magnolias are just a type of plant. 
  • Some sentences were awkward to read, such as: 'Jinki sadly smiled.' The sentence would flow much better if you wrote it as 'Jinki smiled sadly."
  • You usually did this part write, but I noticed that there were some issues with dialogue. You wrote: ' "So," she hesitantly spoke, "About last night..." The correct way to write this would be: "So," she hesitantly said, "about last night..."

​I've mentioned above about word choice.

Personal Enjoyment: 7/10

Honestly, I dislike the whole 'arranged-marriage' style fanfics, because I've never found one where the author can actually make it seem realistic and believable. It's hard to write all that character development and most people make the mistake of rushing it. However, you're a really talented author, and good job with the story. :)

Final Score: 86/100

 

 

 

 

author's note.

Good job XD Sorry for the delay.