Prologue. Epilogue.

Autumn... Once Again.

The white ceiling was familiar, the soft chugging of machine seems comfortable, he shifted and stayed still, he knew the routine so he might as well get it over with. He closed his eyes and the platform moved towards the entrance of the Tomography scan.

He closed his eyes.

“Take a deep breath and hold it…”

“Then exhale…”

++ October  2007++

“Hey man, are you done for the monthly juice?” A fair-skinned man put his arm rashly around his shoulder making him duck down for he was a tad bit shorter than he is. It was annoying yet he put up with it, he is after all, what he can call a friend.

“I don’t see why you call it ‘juice’.” He spoke sarcastically trying to pry away the hold which became much more laborious when the other was laughing.

“I don’t see why you don’t.” he laughed and punch him right on the shoulder where the injections had been minutes ago. “You’re like this superhero that go berserk and green when injected with serum.”

He winced, yet it was unnoticed by the audacity of his companion. He grabbed the hand, sighed and slipped away, fixing his coat while watching his friend laugh at him.

“Hulk don’t need injections and stuff, get your facts straight.” He growled.

“Oh come on… don’t be such a wuss, Kyu.” The fair skinned man said tapping his shoulder and leading him to the path on the hospital garden.

“You just hit my sore shoulder, being a wuss was an understatement Lee Hyukjae.” He said shoving his brunette hair out of the way.

“Oh Sorry you big baby…” the man chuckled.

They reached a bench and without listening in anything his best friend was saying he looked around, like he always did, and this small gesture didn’t go unnoticed.

“Looking for the chick again?” Hyukjae asked exaggeratedly turning his head around.

“Shut up.”

“We could sit here all afternoon just to wait for him to get some sunshine, or to paint, or to read, or to write or… what else did I miss-“

The teasing tone made him roll his eyes in annoyance, hiding the blush that creep from his cheeks with the scarf that covers half of his face.

“I don’t think he’s coming today.” He murmured unable to mask the disappointment in his voice.

Hyukjae sighed at the gesture. “Why don’t you introduce yourself to him, that way you can ask for his number and you can meet him whenever you want.”

“You make it sound like being ‘gay’ is natural.” He scornfully replied.

“But you are a ‘Doctor’ kind of gay, if that’s not hot, I don’t know what else is.” Hyukjae replied with a smile that faded slowly. “Hey man, I’m going to leave soon, you know that right. And you’re going to be studying medicine, you and Wookie should behave and you two should get along, I swear if I found out that you’re both killing each other I will come back and kill you myself.”

Kyuhyun snickered up to the playful remark. It is true; they are moving on to another chapter of their lives, he, with all this preparations and protocols , are preparing for something much important, much bigger, he will become a doctor, and his motivation just entered his line of sight.

“Oh, what do you know! He’s here!” Hyukjae excitedly tugged on him but he was fixed towards the pale man, in his hospital gown, black hair, tired eyes, and Intravenous fluid on his arm.

It might have been a tough night, he thought. He could sometimes see this young man without IV, drawing, playing his guitar, or reading books, but by the looks of it, his condition make a wrong turn again, he didn’t know why he was sick and why is he sad.

But what made him admire this man was because despite being alone most of the time, he still kept a strong expression, it was like he was telling himself that everything was going to be okay, that he can do it, if he just endure for another day.

He was full of life even though his sickness sometimes shows otherwise.

“Oh come on! Just introduce yourself!” his friend said stomping his feet in frustration.

“I think this isn’t the right time.” Kyuhyun smiled. Somehow, he was not disappointed that he didn’t have the courage to ask the other’s name, he felt that there were something planned for the two of them.

And it came.

“Hey, buy me a cigarette!”

Kyuhyun was dumbstruck and flushed as he looked closer than he ever did towards those big doe eyes, tugging his coat threateningly; he personally thought it was funny, since it was more like a child threatening him for a candy than an adult asking him rudely.

“W-What for?”

“I just want to smoke and I don’t have much time.”

“Is that a viable excuse?”

“I think it is?”

“Do you usually smoke?”

“Are you always a pushover? Just buy me the damn thing…”

Kyuhyun laughed at the furrowed brows.

“Wait here.” He smiled and entered the convenient store, only to emerge with a box full of cigarette.

“Why do you keep asking questions…” the young man pouted as Kyuhyun lighted the one pursed on his lips.

“Do you usually do this to strangers?”

“No. I often see you at the hospital, so you’re practically not a stranger.” He replied.

At the casual remark, Kyuhyun’s face flushed but it was unnoticed by the young man puffing smoke into the cold air.

“You see me? Often?”

“Do I need to repeat myself?” he murmured. “Anyway, thanks for this…” he said walking away when Kyuhyun tugged the other’s arm unconscious of his actions.

The black haired man turned. “What?”

“What’s your name?”

The man sighed.

“You might not see me again, introducing names are for those who will stay in your life.”

It was a sarcastic remark, accompanied by a smirk and a shrug before he turned around and left.

But Kyuhyun didn’t know that. He was sure he’s going to see that person when he came by the hospital, he’s sure that he’s going to meet him again.

+++

Walking at the usual spot, now with more motivation and courage to step up, his heart was fluttering at the fear and excitement. He’s ready to meet him, to know him more, to be a part of his life.

His eagerness made him giddy and he stepped a little too fast from where he’s standing and he crashed right to another person.

“I’m so sorry I-“

“Hey mister, watch it…” Nursing his arm, the person looked up at the dumbstruck Kyuhyun, doe-eyes questioning.

“H-Hi… I’m sorry… I-“

“It’s okay…” the blonde said earnestly as the other helped him up. “Sorry but… Do I know you?”

“I’m the one you bullied um… 2 weeks ago?” Kyuhyun said hesitantly. “Wow… you’re blonde…”

“Yes I’m blonde?...” The man trailed off innocently. “But I’m not a bully you know. I don’t do that stuff…”

“Yeah right…” Kyuhyun sighed still in trance at the pout, the pinkish cheeks, and those unique lips. He looked better now, he thought.

“I’m Cho Kyuhyun, I- I’m a medicine student.” He said handing out his hand reluctantly.

The blonde looked at him skeptically but received his introduction with a hand shake.

“I’m Sungmin and I’m about to get discharged.” Sungmin smiled and Kyuhyun swore it was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.

“It’s nice to meet you Kyuhyun-ssi but I need to go to my grumpy bestfriend, he’s probably pissed off that I am discharged and he’s staying so… I need to comfort him first.” The bubbly attitude was a surprise but it was warm, and he’s happy.

“So, can… I mean. Can we grab a coffee after, you know when you got discharged?” the panic-stricken question made him almost slap himself if it won’t appear delirious to his new ‘friend’.

But instead of being weirded out, Sungmin laughed.

“Give me your phone.” He said and Kyuhyun mindlessly gave it.

The other typed in something and Kyuhyun had time to ogle before his phone was handed back to him.

“See you around Kyu-“ Sungmin skipped and bid him goodbye, leaving him with a number under the name ‘Park Sungmin’.

.

.

.

“Where have you been?” the stern expression didn’t removed the grin off Park Sungmin’s face when he came by a bespectacled young man in his age with black locks wearing a patient’s gown closing the book he was holding with one hand, while the other supported his weight, using the IV stand to stand up.

“And… What’s with that stupid grin?”

“Nothing?!” Park Sungmin giggled.

“You looked ugly.”

“I think not.” Park Sungmin grumbled. “and If I did then you looked ugly too, because, just in case you forgot… we looked so-ing-much the same.”

The patient sighed and he coughed up persistently earning a worried glance from the blonde.

“It’s because you stubbornly smoke when you know you shouldn’t.” Park Sungmin scolded the other.

“I just thought that I better try that before I die.”

“You’re an …” the blonde cursed. “Come on Lee Sungmin-ssi. You need to rest before you ran out of breath…”

+++ February 20++

The white ceiling was familiar, the soft chugging of machine seems comfortable, he shifted and stayed still, he knew the routine so he might as well get it over with. He closed his eyes and the platform moved towards the entrance of the Tomography scan.

He closed his eyes.

“Take a deep breath and hold it…”

“Then exhale…”

The machine pushed out of the chamber and his eyes opened to the tall brunette waiting at the glass window.

“Hey…” he mouthed and Kyuhyun understood him despite the oxygen mask over his mouth. The brunette showed him a bouquet that almost made his eyes roll.

He was slowly returned to his room and finally, after what seemed like a long time, Kyuhyun held his hand, it was warm and inviting, removing every worry he had. He knew that his health was betraying him once again, he knew that it wasn’t long before his time ends yet, Kyuhyun showed no change, it was like everything was how it used to be, no special treatments, no pretense… and he liked it.

“Are you tired?” Kyuhyun asked placing the bouquet at the bedside table.

“No…” he replied shortly. He wanted to elaborate but he can’t his lungs aren’t as good as before and he will ran out of breath if he insist.

“Tell me a story.” Sungmin asked, trusting that Kyuhyun’s petty story can lull him to sleep.

“Hm how about the first time I met Park Sungmin. ” Kyuhyun laughed. “I haven’t told you that one before.”

Sungmin eyed him but nevertheless nodded at his lover’s attempt of healthy jealousy.

“I was almost stalking him at the hospital, looking at him from afar. I don’t have the courage to introduce myself.” Kyuhyun started.

“Then I met him at a convenience store, forcing me to buy him cigarettes, and I did, I asked for his name but he said I wasn’t going to be a part of his life, but boohoo for him, I met him again and poof.. he gave me his number, I almost didn’t recognize him because he’s blonde an- Sungmin?”

Sungmin was crying, clutching his hand tight.

“What’s wrong? I- are you that jealous? Oh Come on… you know I love you so so ing much, you are my life…” Kyuhyun said trying to undo his actions but Sungmin shook his head.

“T-The local convenient store across the university?” Sungmin asked running out of breath. “Is that the place?”

“Y-yeah?” Kyuhyun responded. “Did he tell you where we met?”

Sungmin once again shook his head.

His breath was chasing his memories, the guy who looked at him with so much compassion that day when he thought of giving up.

That one person who tried to be a part of his miserable life.

The person who he regretted not telling his name

He found him at last.

 

 

A/N. This was a prologue as well as an Epilogue of one of my most favorite fic. I hoped you know which fic is it coz I’m not telling.  Miss you guys…

To my Filipino readers, see you at KyuminCon.