Princesses

Say You Love Me

Baekhyun loved princesses as a child. They had happy lives, puffy gowns, and a handsome prince to sweep them off of their feet. His heart yearned to be one of those princes that would take his princess to marry him and they would live happily ever after. His walls were covered in princess posters. Sometimes he loved to dress as one and then change into the clothes of a prince and create scenarios of how he and his princess would meet. He would even make up a song for his own fairy tales. His favorite was the Princess and the Pea because she was a smart princess who could feel a pea even with a bunch of mattresses stacked on top of it! He wanted to marry a smart princess. For a while he was mistaken for a girl in school until he decided to wear shorts.

 

As he grew older, he was forced to strip the posters and bed sheets and figurines from his room when he was criticised by his friend. His wallpaper with princess crowns was replaced with a pale red. A Chinese dragon was painted by a hired artist. While Baekhyun’s friends believed it was there because dragons were cool, it was there because it reminded Baekhyun of a Chinese fairy tale called Chi Li Slays the Serpent. In this fairy tale, the heroine is humble yet strong and Baekhyun longed to meet someone like her.

 

In seventh grade, Baekhyun became close with a new student in his class. This new student was called Park Chanyeol and he was quiet. He had glasses, a round face, was shorter than Baekhyun, and was involved with a club called The Ferret Lovers. Chanyeol also had begun to pick up multiple instruments including the drums, guitar, ukulele, piano, and even some singing. There wasn’t a particular reason they became friends. Baekhyun happened to sit next to him during homeroom. Sometimes they would talk about nonsensical things and other times they would speak passionately about their obsessions. They understood each other to an extent and became close. Baekhyun was even able to tell Chanyeol about his princess obsession and how he wanted to find a beautiful one and sweep her off of her feet when he was strong enough to. During lunch, they had their own little table in the back all to themselves. If the weather permitted, they would sit outside under a tree or a bench.

 

As they got into high school, puberty began to take over Chanyeol. He grew out of all of his clothes, his voice dropped, he lost his baby fat, and he started wearing contacts instead of his glasses. He became slim and became popular among the females real fast. Baekhyun, on the other hand, although he did grow a bit and his voice dropped, still had a round face and his shape became curvier than he would have liked. Eventually he grew to appreciate his wider hips, but he wanted to be Chanyeol’s height, which was perfect for sweeping a girl off of her feet like a princess. Despite all of these changes, Baekhyun and Chanyeol never fell out and continued to keep their friendship strong. They seemed to be attached at the hips. It was never Baekhyun or Chanyeol; it was always Baekhyun and Chanyeol, a packaged deal.

 

However, one day in their senior year, things began to change.

 

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol said one day as they were heading to lunch.

 

“Hmmm?”

 

“I need to talk to you.” Chanyeol grabbed his best friend’s shoulder, stopping him.

 

“Just do it here.” Baekhyun frowned and shook Chanyeol’s hand off of his shoulder.

 

“No, I mean, in secret.”

 

“Then let’s go to our tree.”

 

Chanyeol nodded. Baekhyun couldn’t help but notice how Chanyeol was wringing his hands, but didn’t mention it.

 

They walked outside and sat under their usual tree. It was a sunny day. There were a few clouds, but only wisps. The sky was blue and the birds flew overhead. A warm breeze blew through the trees and rustled their hair. Everything was so perfect. It was all something Baekhyun would never forget.

 

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol breathed after a long silence.

 

Baekhyun hummed, sipping some juice.

 

“Hear me out completely before making judgement, please.”

 

“Dude, I’m your best friend. Whatever it is, just tell me. I’m not going to hate you.”

 

Chanyeol inhaled a shaky breath. “I’m bi.”

 

Baekhyun stopped sipping his juice and closed his eyes. Then he turned to Chanyeol. “What type of friend would I be if I hated you after that? Honestly, it doesn’t change how I see you, dude.”

 

Chanyeol sighed in relief and relaxed into the tree.

 

“So you have your sights on anyone? Boy or girl?”

 

“Actually…”

 

“OH MY GOODNESS! WHO?” Baekhyun’s eyes went wide.

 

Chanyeol shook his head. “I’m not going to tell you.”

 

“What?” Baekhyun crushed his empty juice box.

 

“I can’t tell you.”

 

“But I’m your best friend. I’ve been your best friend since you came here! I’m supposed to know everything about you! That’s what best friends are for. This is huge, Chanyeol.”

 

“I… I don’t want to tell you. It’s too personal.”

 

“You liking either a boy or girl is so important, and you’re not going to tell me! C’mon, I can help you get their attention or something! Chanyeol, please tell me.” Baekhyun stared Chanyeol down, searching on his expression, but his expression was stoic. He sighed in exasperation and then rolled his eyes. “Fine.”

 

The two didn’t speak after that until after lunch. Chanyeol stood up and collected his trash and lunch box. Baekhyun followed in suit. When all of their belongings were off the ground, they stared each other down. Baekhyun didn’t like look up to Chanyeol. He wanted to be the taller, bigger one, so he stood on his tip toes. It didn’t do much to bridge the height gap, but Baekhyun’s face did become closer to Chanyeol’s face. Chanyeol turned his head away and stepped back.

 

He took a deep breath and said, “You.” Then he his heels and ran.

 

Baekhyun lowered himself and stared after Chanyeol’s receding figure. He watched it go into the school, a little slumped.

 

The rest of the day, Chanyeol avoided all eye contact with Baekhyun. He also kept his head down whenever they passed each other. It was really starting to get on Baekhyun’s nerves. Even the people around them noticed. Baekhyun was asked by a few people what was wrong. Baekhyun simply shook his head and shrugged. During study hall, Baekhyun spotted Chanyeol sitting in the back of the classroom surrounded by a bunch of girls. There wasn’t the usual seat that Chanyeol saved for Baekhyun. Baekhyun felt a twinge of jealousy. He decided to sit in the front of the room and diligently do work. However, that proved impossible with the constant giggles and sharp whispers from the back of the class. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and plugged earbuds in to drown out the girls.

 

After school, Baekhyun caught Chanyeol as he was leaving school. He grabbed Chanyeol’s backpack by the handle and yanked his friend into an empty hallway.

 

“What the hell?” Baekhyun hissed. “Why’d you run off like that? And then you proceeded to ignore me for the rest of the day!”

 

Chanyeol was shocked at first, then his face twisted into anger. The change in attitude was so sudden. Baekhyun couldn’t understand why, though. It was something Baekhyun never thought he’d see on his best friend’s face. Even when Baekhyun was pissy and sassy, Chanyeol never became angry.

 

“Why do you think?” Chanyeol replied. “Do you even understand how hard this is for me?”

 

“I bet it is, but that doesn’t justify you ignoring your best friend. I’m here to help you and support you, !”

 

“But see, that’s just it. You can’t help me.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“God, Baekhyun, get it together. Don’t you understand any of what I’m saying?”

 

“What’s with the attitude?” Baekhyun snapped. “I’m trying to figure out what’s going through your head, why you’re acting distant and not like yourself all of a sudden. Don’t get pissed at me!”

 

“You won’t understand, Baekhyun.”

 

“Why not? Explain it.”

 

Chanyeol shook his head, glancing behind Baekhyun. Baekhyun glanced over his shoulder. The janitor was there looking extremely confused.

 

“I’m going home.” Chanyeol announced and marched out the door. Baekhyun ran after him.

 

“Chanyeol, our houses are in the same direction. Either you explain this to me or--”

 

“Or what, Baek? You can’t threaten me with anything.”

 

“Or… or I’ll stop being your best friend! I’ll be never speak to you again!”

 

Chanyeol stopped walking, making Baekhyun run into his backpack. “Is that really what you want? Because you can’t understand everything I do, you suddenly want to stop talking to me, stop being best friends? Or is it because I’m bi? Or maybe it’s because I might have a crush on my straight, best friend. Or is it all of the above?”

 

“Chanyeol, that’s not what I meant!” Baekhyun tried to ignore the way his heart stopped when Chanyeol mentioned having a crush on Baekhyun.

 

“Well, Baek, that’s what you came up with, so clearly it’s what you meant.”

 

Baekhyun opened and closed his mouth, unable to respond. “I… no…”

 

Chanyeol shook his head. He sped up his pace. Baekhyun didn’t bother catching up. He let his pace slow and Chanyeol got farther and farther away.

 

When Baekhyun got home, he went straight to his room. He ignored his mom and dad and brother’s inquiries. He took out his princess blanket from a drawer and wrapped it around himself. It was something that was strangely comforting. It reminded him of when he was younger, when life was easier. It reminded him of his innocent dreams of marrying a beautiful princess before he was wrapped up in drama. Life seemed so simple. It also reminded him of how Chanyeol was so accepting of Baekhyun’s obsession with princesses. In fact, Chanyeol was the first friend that understood. Maybe that’s why they clicked when they first met. But now it was all ruined. It was because Baekhyun just had to run his mouth. It was because Baekhyun knew Chanyeol was in a vulnerable spot and refused to understand the situation, the fact that Chanyeol had a crush on Baekhyun.

 

Chanyeol had a crush on Baekhyun.

 

Chanyeol liked Baekhyun.

 

Chanyeol wanted to date Baekhyun if he was bi.

 

Baekhyun was straight.

 

Baekhyun was definitely straight, right?

 

Baekhyun slowed his breathing and thought. Did Baekhyun really like girls? Baekhyun never really looked at any girls in his class when he was younger, and even now. He shook his head. No, it was because he was still looking for his perfect princess. Yes, he was looking for his perfect princess. She would be adorable, humble, and strong. When he thought of those words, though, Chanyeol’s face popped up in his mind. He shook the thought away. It was just because he was upset about his fight with Chanyeol. He pulled the blanket tighter around himself. Definitely straight.

 

The next week, Chanyeol didn’t come to school or just avoided Baekhyun like the plague. Either way, Baekhyun didn’t see his ex-best friend and it frustrated him. He wanted to work things out and clear up any misunderstandings. Then they could get on with their lives as best friends. Chanyeol would easily grow out of his crush over Baekhyun. Baekhyun wasn’t even that great anyway. He was a noob who obsessed over princesses and used to wear a bunch of dresses. He was sassy. He had an ugly crying face, too. Not to mention he snored and slept talk at night. Sometimes he would even find drool. That was anything but attractive. Chanyeol would definitely grow out of it.

 

When Baekhyun returned home on Friday, his mom stopped him before he could escape to his room, as he had been for the entire week. He went up there to find comfort in his princess blanket and question his uality.

 

“Baek, is everything good between you and Chan?”

 

“Yes, mom.”

 

“You better tell me the truth, Baek, because I just got a call from his mom saying that he’s been holed up in his room for a week straight. He’s been eating ramen and pizza delivery and marathoning princess movies. Mrs. Park guessed it had something to do with you. Every time Chanyeol sulks about you, he apparently marathons your favorite movies and eats a lot.”

 

“What? He sulks about me? But why?”

 

Baekhyun’s mom shrugged. “I don’t know, but you better go over and patch things up. I want my little Channie back here soon.”

 

“Mother,”

 

“Go.”

 

Baekhyun groaned and walked back outside.

 

Chanyeol’s house wasn’t too far away. It was just a few blocks down the road.

 

When he arrived, Mrs. Park opened the door and gave him a weary smile. “He’s in his room.” She welcomed Baekhyun into the house and waited for him to take off his shoes. Then she went back her office and shut the door. Baekhyun heard the clack of a keyboard as she got back to work.

 

Baekhyun made his way to Chanyeol’s room. He knocked.

 

“Mom, is the pizza here?” Chanyeol called.

 

Baekhyun opened the door and stared into the room. It took him a second to find his best friend. When he did, he found Chanyeol underneath a huge comforter and a bunch of blankets. They stared at each other for a long time. Baekhyun swallowed and stepped into the room, closing the door. He glanced at Chanyeol’s tv. It was paused on the scene in Cinderella when the prince was dancing with Cinderella.

 

“Chanyeol,”

 

Chanyeol coughed. “I can explain.”

 

“How could you watch princess movies without me?”

 

“No, see, it’s because--what?”

 

Baekhyun flopped onto Chanyeol’s bed and crawled under the covers, ignoring the fact that his heart was racing miles a minute. He knew being in close proximity with Chanyeol after not speaking for a week would not prove to be beneficial, but he did it anyway. He pulled the covers to his chin and got close next to Chanyeol, like they had in middle school. Baekhyun ignored the fire that ignited across his skin when Chanyeol’s hand brushed against his exposed side by accident.

 

“Uh, Baekhyun,”

 

“Scoot over. You better share some of that pizza with me when it comes.” Baekhyun stopped his shifting and looked at Chanyeol. “Play the movie.”

 

Chanyeol fumbled with the remote and hit play.

 

They watched up until Cinderella was being fitted into the glass slipper.

 

“I wonder what it would be like to marry a princess.” Baekhyun sighed. He tried to seem nonchalant about it, but in reality, he wanted to see Chanyeol’s reaction. He wanted to know if Chanyeol still liked him, he wanted to know if Chanyeol ever got jealous of him, he wanted to know if Chanyeol became uncomfortable when Baekhyun brought up his own crushes.

 

“Why would you want to marry a princess when a perfectly good prince is right here--I mean right there.” Baekhyun felt Chanyeol shift away and turn his head away.

 

Baekhyun didn’t say anything and slipped his hand into Chanyeol’s. The movie played on. Chanyeol’s hand was warm and large. Baekhyun didn’t know how much he really wanted this until he realized his not-so-straight uality a day prior after a lot of questioning and thinking. He knew something was different about him when he was reluctant to take down his princess posters and give away his princess dresses, but he was too young to understand and really address what was going through his mind. He knew something was different when he realized how he hadn’t been interested in any of the girls in his grade. The only person he invested his time in was Chanyeol.

 

He felt Chanyeol’s hand squeeze his until the doorbell rang. Chanyeol sprang from the bed and ran out of the room, face flushed. Baekhyun laid under Chanyeol’s comforters, unhappy about the lack of warmth.

 

Chanyeol returned with hot pizza with extra pineapple. Baekhyun sat up as Chanyeol put the box on the bed. Baekhyun opened the lid and felt the steam waft over his face. It smelled divine. Chanyeol sat on the other side of the box. He grabbed a slice and began eating. They ate in silence.

 

Once the pizza was gone, Chanyeol laid back down, but on top of the covers instead of underneath. Baekhyun didn’t like that at all. Baekhyun shifted himself so his head just barely leaned on Chanyeol’s arm. He ignored all the warning signs that told him that he was moving too fast and that it probably wasn’t a good idea. Chanyeol shifted. Baekhyun sighed and went back to his original position. As the next movie, Snow White, progressed, Chanyeol slipped under the covers after goosebumps started to appear. Chanyeol’s body heat had returned and Baekhyun was content. It felt as though a void somewhere was filled.

 

Halfway through the movie, Baekhyun found his hand reaching for Chanyeol’s and intertwining their fingers. He rubbed the back of Chanyeol’s hand with his thumb. He played with each of Chanyeol’s fingers, feeling them and finding all of the calluses from playing the guitar and writing. He liked the rough fingertips. He liked how big Chanyeol’s hand was. He liked its warmth.

 

When Snow White finished, Chanyeol pulled his hand from Baekhyun’s and stood up.

 

“We can’t avoid the elephant.” Chanyeol said.

 

“What elephant?”

 

“Baek,”

 

“Sorry.”

 

“What was that?” Chanyeol asked.

 

“The elephant or me being dumb?” Baekhyun knew exactly what Chanyeol meant, but he was continuing to avoid any conversation.

 

“A week ago, you didn’t want to speak to me. Now you come into my room, get into my bed, eat my pizza, and suddenly start…” Chanyeol held up his hand and waved it around. “Is this a way to mess with my feelings, or something? Because if it is, you’re doing a wonderful job.”

 

“Ok, first off, in my defense, you jumped to conclusions and you know I run my mouth without thinking. You also were the one that got pissy with me. Second, that pizza is good. Third, there’s a lot you missed.”

 

“I noticed. So, fill me in.”

 

Baekhyun proceeded to explain his inner monologue during the week and the conclusion. Of course he explained it while hiding under the covers. He didn’t want to see Chanyeol’s reaction just yet.

 

“I knew it.” Chanyeol said when Baekhyun was done.

 

“What?”

 

“Baekhyun, you have princess posters and blankets in storage.”

 

“Hey, a guy can’t like princesses?”

 

“I didn’t say that. The level of obsession was a little questionable, though.”

 

“Whatever.” Baekhyun pouted.

 

“Not that I mind, though.”

 

“What do you mean by that?”

 

“You know exactly what I mean.” Chanyeol sat onto his bed.

 

“Does that mean you still like me?”

 

“Still?”

 

“Well, I mean, you should’ve moved on by now.”

 

“Should’ve?”

 

“Chanyeol! You know what I mean.”

 

“No, I don’t. Please elaborate.”

 

“I… I mean, I’m not likeable. Like, at all. For starters, I obsess over princesses. I wanted to marry a princess for the longest time. She was supposed to be adorable, humble, and strong. Not that I can’t find that in a man… but my dreams have been crushed. Second, have you even seen my face. It’s god awful. It’s round and it seems I never had baby fat. It kind of was the same from pre-puberty till now. And I drool and snore and sleep talk. I also kick a lot in my sleep and sleep walk. I’m sassy and mean to people. I eat nonstop and marathon princess movies. I don’t take into account other people’s feelings and am overall untalented at everything except for singing.”

 

“Baekhyun, you don’t get it, do you.”

 

“Not this again. Get what?”

 

“That’s everything I love about you. Have you forgotten the numerous sleepovers we’ve had? Have you forgotten that we’ve been through thick and thin? Have you also forgotten I’m your best friend? I’ve seen you at your worst and best, and look at me now. I’m--oh god, this is so embarrassing--still so head over heels for you, Baek.”

 

“Still?”

 

“Since freshman year.”

 

“That’s a long time.”

 

“No kidding.”

 

“Does that mean we’re… you know… that?”

 

“Once I sweep you off your feet, then we can be.”

 

“That’s my line!”

 

“It’s mine now.”

 

“Who is a obsessed with princesses here?”

 

“Who is the taller one?”

 

Baekhyun pouted. “Shut up. I’ll get to your height, I swear.”

 

“Sure.”

 

“Shut up, .”

 

“The you love so much.”

 

“Hardly.”

 

“I am offended.”

 

“Liar. Now hurry up and sweep me off of my feet.”

 

“Later. I’m tired.” Chanyeol flopped onto his bed and buried his head into his sheets. Baekhyun scoffed and did the same. Under the covers, his hands found Chanyeol’s and he felt Chanyeol’s hands squeeze lightly.


“Please do it soon, Chanyeol.”