Epilogue

Light up my night

 

He laid in bed, frail. His hair grey and face wrinkled.

A young woman held his hand. A daughter whom he had adopted at the request of Daesung on his forty-eighth birthday.

And he was glad he did.

He loved his daughter dearly, not just because he looked like Daesung but because that is how a father should love his child.

Gong Minji. He had kept her family name after adopting her, should she want to look for her real parents, at least she has a lead on where to start.

Admittedly, he did choose Minji at first because she resembled Daesung but as time goes by, he realised that she's her own person. Mischievous, curious and energetic, she was nothing like Daesung. And Seunghyun grew to love who she is.

Jiyong had married Seungri. He and Seunghyun did eventually break up amicably after enduring two more years of their on and off relationship. Theirs was a painful journey, Jiyong demanding more than what Seunghyun could provide.

When Seungri had showed up, Jiyong knew it was love at first sight. He was guilty but Seunghyun was understanding, encouraging even. It was then that they realised they were better off as friends rather than lovers. They stayed close after the break up and even Seungri had taken to Seunghyun like an older brother.

Jiyong deserved more than Seunghyun.

Seungri was much better suited for Jiyong. Exciting yet sweet, his cheeky side endearing.

"I don't know if he's a genius at making me laugh or a natural born idiot." He would complain to Seunghyun.

His friends surrounded him as he was approaching his final goodbyes. All of them aged and Dongwook was already gone.

"Ji, can you give them to her?"

Jiyong passed the two metal boxes containing hundreds of letters that told a story of the father whom she had never met. The letters never stopped coming to Seunghyun on every special occasion.

"He's an angel. You would have loved him." He looked at his daughter fondly. "You look like him."

It was then, a flowery fragrance filled the room.

"He's here." Seunghyun announced, although his voice was weak and barely audible. He recognised the smell almost immediately. He looked over to the door and smiled.

It's finally time.

"I'm finally going to be with you again." He whispered and closed his eyes for the last time.

He was finally at peace, even leaving with a little smile on his face.

"He is where he wants to be, Minji. He lived a good life. You should be happy for him." Even though his own tears were falling, Jiyong knew Seunghyun far better than anyone else.

Seunghyun had returned to Daesung.

 


-----------

 

Today, he waits at the same spot again. Something compelling him to do so.

He sits at the same location, day after day, watching the sunset.

Illogical? Maybe.

Meaningless? Maybe.

But he can't help having this feeling, this urge. He really can't put it into words.

In the distant, another man walks in his direction, only stopping a short distance away from him.

Their eyes met and the stranger smiled.

His smile was as blinding as the sun.

"You're at my spot." The stranger called over.

"I am? This is my spot. I'm here all the time when the sun sets." He shouts back.

"Oh yeah? I'm here every sunrise."

"Won't you stay and chat with me?" He asked the stranger. "I'm bored. I'm always alone."

The stranger smiled and nodded but gave no promise.

Day after day, the stranger came back at sunset.

Day after day, they learned more about each other.

Day after day, their hearts slowly filled.

They found who they were waiting for.

And a new journey begins.

 

 


 

 

A/N: This felt a little rush but I can't find where the problem lies, oh wells… Do read the previous chapter to understand that last part. And thank you so much for staying with this story. ♡♡♡