Flashback

Secret Love

7 years ago...

"Hey Warren, smile!" mom said while taking pictures of me in the carousel. I really hate this things. I never enjoyed kiddie rides. I'm that kind of kid. I enjoy rollercoaster ride than anything.

"Mom, can we please go home? I'm tired." I said while walking towards her. I'm really bored with this place, I really need to finish my paintings at home. I'll be dead if I won't pass it to my art teacher until tomorrow.

"Can we please just wait for your brother? You can wait, right?" I nodded. "Okay, stay right there." mom pointed at the bench, "What do you want to eat?"

"Ice creaaaamm~!!" I excitedly said and flashed a smile at me. She walked away and go to the near ice cream stand.

While waiting for mom, who's at the end of the long line, I'm watching every kid that enjoy this amusement park with their dads. I wonder how it feels like to go at this place with appa. I maybe enjoy this place and wished I can stay here forever. My dad died when I was 4 years old. He was a fireman saving a little girl trapped at their house. The girl was saved but my dad died. After that incident, I promised to myself that I'll never enjoy a happy place without him.

"Warren, where's eomma?" my eldest brother asked. I pointed at the ice cream stand where my mom buys me an ice cream.

The amusement park's happy atmosphere turned into a loud yell when a car entered the park. There's a drunk man driving the car that loses its control. But there's a girl standing in the way not knowing about the car. I immediately run to her and pushed her out of the way. I can the bumper of the car hit my body and after that, all I can feel is the hard ground and the only thing I can hear is my mom's cry.

 

I woke up at the hospital. I can see my brother, Darren, holding my hand while my mom is asleep beside me.

"Mom..." I tried to talk but there's something that stops me.

My mom opened her eyes and looked at me. "Do you know who I am?" she asked. I just smiled at her and hugged her. "Of course, mom. I know who are you. Why would I forget you?"

"Please don't that again. I can't take it if you also leave me." she said with her voice cracked. I can feel her tears flowed at my hospital gown. I just smiled at hugged her more tight.

"I promise, I'll never do that again, Mom." I removed her arms at my back and kissed her forehead. Then someone knocked at the door. My brother opened it, it's my doctor with a girl and a woman.

"How are you, Mr. Jeon?" the doctor asked.

"I'm fine." I answered then smiled.

The girl came near to me with a teddy bear. She finally showed her face and gave me the teddy bear. I was shocked when she hugged me tight.

"Thanks for saving my life, Warren." she said and cried. I looked at my mom and she just nodded at me. So, I just hugged her, "No problem. That's my promise to dad before he died."

When they leave, I read the letter attached at the teddy bear.

 

"Hi Mr. Jeon! I'm Elise Lee. The doctor said that
your name is Warren. Can I call you Warren if we met again? Or should I
keep calling you Mr. Jeon? Anyway, thanks for saving me. I
owe my life to you. Please do that again 'cause
your mom cries really loud. Take care and get well soon.
I wish I can see you again. By the way, mom said that your dad also saved
me before. You and your father are the real heroes."

 



After two days, I finally got discharged at the hospital. Elise visited me at our house and told me everything when my father saved her. I just felt happy while she's telling me her story. I feel like I just became like my father that I adore so much. I hope he's smiling to me right now and he's happy in what I did.

"Warren, you really looked like your father." she said while looking at my dad's picture.

"I'm tired of hearing those words. I almost heard that a hundred times." then we laughed together. 

They only stayed for an hour. Her mom said that they need to go back to Korea because of some important matters. We both waved goodbye to each other with a smile on our faces. When they disappear, I felt sad. She's my first friend who I can talk about dad but she leave too soon. I wish she can stay for a longer time so I can tell her everything. After all, she's my first friend.

"Elise Park, please be well. When I grow up, I'll look for you." I said and went inside our house.