First Date

Beautiful Disaster

OST: One Call Away by Charlie Puth

I'm only one call away
I'll be there to save the day
Superman got nothing on me
I'm only one call away1

Call me, baby, if you need a friend
I just wanna give you love
Come on, come on, come on
Reaching out to you, so take a chance

No matter where you go
You know you're not alone

I'm only one call away
I'll be there to save the day
Superman got nothing on me
I'm only one call away

Come along with me and don't be scared
I just wanna set you free
Come on, come on, come one
You and me can make it anywhere
For now, we can stay here for a while, ay
'Cause you know, I just wanna see you smile

No matter where you go
You know you're not alone

I'm only one call away
I'll be there to save the day
Superman got nothing on me
I'm only one call away

And when you're weak I'll be strong
I'm gonna keep holding on
Now don't you worry, it won't be long, Darling
And when you feel like hope is gone
Just run into my arms

I'm only one call away
I'll be there to save the day
Superman got nothing on me
I'm only one, I'm only one call away
I'll be there to save the day
Superman got nothing on me
I'm only one call away

I'm only one call away

*************************************************************************************************

Ying really “coincidentally” dropped to the cafe where Aom worked for a cup of coffee. It was in the evening and the cafe was crowded. She scanned the cafe to look for her, but couldn’t find her at first. Then she found her, chatting amiably with a couple of young parents who brought their baby girl.

Aom was tiny, with fair skin and pretty smiles. At first sight, she didn’t look like someone with a difficult life. She appeared cheerful and moved fast here and there, greeting customers and wiping tables.

Ying waited until Aom was back in the counter before she walked closer to make her order.

She was greeted amiably, her orders were attentively taken, and it was all finished quickly.

Ying then sat down on a table facing the counter, pretending to watch a video on her phone, while she was actually watching this stranger slash soon-to be sister in law.

After thirty minutes, Ying left the cafe, feeling satisfied. She dialled her brother the second she entered her car.

“Mike?”

“Yup?”

“She’s really cute”

“Who?”

“Your future wife”

“She’s not my future wife”

“I don’t want anyone else as my sister in-law”

“That’s really not my problem”

“Mike, I’m serious”

“I’m not joking either”

“She’s really cute. You know, that teeny tiny kind of girls that make you wanna protect all the time? She’s also really nice. And pretty. And I like her smile”

“..........are you drunk?”

“HEY!!! I’m not!”

“Stop talking so much about her. I’m just gonna politely apologize to her and we’ll move on with our own lives”

“I hate you”

“Love you too, Sis”

“I think all the boys who work there are having a crush on her”

“That must be an exaggeration”

“I mean it, Silly! All the boys smile so wide when she talks to them, helping her whenever they can. One or two are even good looking, probably more good looking than you”

Mike snorted as if he didn’t believe it.

“Fine. You see her for yourself when you two meet next week. I’m sure even if you don’t like her, she won’t lack nice guys in her life. If you won’t have her, someone else would, someone better than you”

“Uh huh. Fine. I gotta go, Ying. Duty calls. Bye”

Was the annoyed tone at the end only my imagination? Ying stared at her phone’s screen for a while, before starting her car and drove away.

************************************************

Since this Mike Pirat already agreed to meet her, Aom finally agreed to see him too. It’s hard to do, but when she saw her father, it all got a little easier.

Dread filled her heart as the days passed and their appointment got nearer and nearer.

She browsed the internet to find out about him, watching some of his videos and some episodes of his drama. He aimed for “iness” in his solo which was not her taste, but she thought his acting was quite natural. He was paired with Kanya Rattanapetch for Full House and Kiss Me, and they had a good chemistry.

And then she saw his pictures with his ex, Sarah Casinghini. They looked sweet together, especially the pictures where they celebrated Sarah’s birthday. He had already deleted all the pictures with her in his instagram, but the internet still had plenty of it.

She wasn’t sure why, but after a long day at work and before she fell asleep, she stared for a long time at the pictures of Sarah. She’s really beautiful, like a living Barbie doll, and Mike looked perfect beside her.

Their son was really handsome and adorable too.

Why didn’t they marry? They looked like Barbie and Ken.......

She didn’t think a guy who had a girl as y as that would ever be attracted to her. Probably this Mike wanted to meet her just because he was forced by his mother.

Feeling annoyed with herself, she turned off her phone and tried to sleep.

***********************************************

Mike had an event with Kanya that day. They both were good friends, and he liked working with her. She’s famous with her cute image, and at one moment, he was staring.

The fans or shippers of them were really happy with his blank stare at Kanya, and she had to wave her hand in front of his face.

“Mike? Hello? Anybody home?”

He blinked and chuckled, before focusing again to put his signatures on the fans’ posters.

“Is there something wrong?” Kanya asked, since it’s strange that he could go blank when they’re working.

And he answered, “Nope. I’m ok. Just a bit sleep deprived”

“Oh. Glad to hear that. Rest well when you have the time”

“Yup, I will”

What made him go blank and then shocked was the question he asked in his head.

Is Aom as cute as Kanya or cuter?

It was completely shocking and uncalled for, and the thought made him a little shaken.

It’s Mom and Ying, he told himself.

They’re messing my mind.

**********************************************

“I already booked a table for you and Aom at Shangrila” his mom informed him on Line.

“That’s too much for a first meeting, Mom”

“You mean there will be many more meetings with Aom?”

He only read the last question without replying.

His mother then sent the address of Aom’s house.

“Pick me up before you go to her house. I also want to see how she looks like on your first date”

He started to think his mom was having her second puberty.

*********************************************

“Why are you dressing like this? Isn’t this too casual?”

“What are you expecting Mom, a suit and a tie?”

“I don’t know. A shirt? Something that’s not so.....so......normal”

“Being normal is good. And if you’re ready, let’s go”

His mom still stared with a disgusted look at his usual black t-shirt, jacket and jeans combo, but finally got into his car.

If Mom insisted to go to a boutique so I could change into something more presentable, I think I’m really going to lose it, he thought.

But she didn’t make more remarks of his clothes and of that he was grateful.

And then he was lectured about the do and don’ts in this “first date”. He tried to put up with it, he really did, but he lost his patience after ten minutes.

“Mom, I’m 25 and I’ve been with girls before. Don’t lecture me like I’m 15, ok? Please?”

“Fine” his mom grumbled.

When he arrived at Aom’s house, he was surprised by how small it was. His mom already told her all about Aom’s family life, how pretty their house used to be, and how much had changed since her father was fired from his work and then fell ill.

But when he met her, he thought Ying was right. She didn’t look like someone who’s having a difficult life.

She looked nice in pink blouse and denim skirt, and he thought he’s not the only one who opted to look normal that day. She didn’t say much, and he spoke politely to her mother, before both ladies accompanied them to the car.

Then they were both inside and he started to drive to Shangrilla.

She’s silent and so did he, and he noticed she was staring down at her hands.

“So.....how are you?” he tried.

“Great. Thanks. Just nervous”

Ying didn’t say her voice sounded like a little girl.

He smiled then, “Nice to know I’m not the only one. Let’s try not to be nervous, ok?”

“It’s hard. I’ve never had dinner with a stranger before”

He’s a bit taken aback with her respond, feeling that with a sentence, she was putting them both on the right places. That she’s also feeling strange about the situation, and she’s not somewhat giddy to see him or anything.

On a red light, he turned to her and took a good look.

“It’s awkward, isn’t it? How about some music?”

“Yes, please” she said, smiling a little.

And he thought, Ying didn’t lie about that too. She really had pretty smiles.

“How’s your day?” he asked.

“Normal” she answered casually. “This dinner makes me have to take the night off from the cafe where I work”

“Ah yes. You work full time in a magazine and work part time in a cafe”

“Yes. I guess your mother told you that”

“Isn’t it tiring to work two jobs?”

“Isn’t it tiring to go back and forth between Thailand and China?”

He chuckled, “It’s just something I have to do”

“Two jobs is also something I have to do, that’s all”

.........he liked how she didn’t go to a full-blown sob-story, though her life must be hard.

“Which one do you like better? Your job at the magazine or at the cafe?”

“At the cafe” she answered after a while.

“What? Really? Why?”

“Because I’m not doing much at the magazine, I’m still a junior’s junior there”

“You studied English Literature, right?”

“That’s right”

“What do you want to be?”

“.........I feel I’m being interviewed” Aom commented.

He laughed, “I’m sorry. I just don’t know anyone who studied that around me”

“That’s alright. I.......want to be an author, actually. It’s my dream to have a best seller novel”

“I see. I hope you’ll reach that”

“Thank you” she smiled again.

Another song ended before it’s her turn to try to begin a conversation.

“What about you? Which one do you like better? Acting or singing?”

“I like them both. I don’t want to choose”

“Ok”

“Have you listened to any of my songs?”

“I tried to listen to some”

Ah. Seemed like she never really followed my career before this happened.

“Do you like any of it?”

“..............”

And he laughed, “Why are you saying nothing???”

“I don’t really.......like your type of songs”

“Why?”

“Just not my kind of thing”

“Well, what’s your kind of thing?”

“I’m liking One Call Away by Charlie Puth lately”

“Do you think my songs are bad?”

“I’m sorry. Did I offend you?”

“No. It’s just that –“

No other girls ever said they don’t like my songs before.

“It’s just too.........”

“Too? What? Tell me”

“Too......y”

“Break You Off Tonight?”

She nodded.

“Ok”

They arrived at Shangrila and Mike gave his keys to the valet, before he walked beside Aom to the elevator.

They entered NEXT2Cafe, a restaurant with a great ambience facing the riverside, and Aom felt anxious. It’s been years since she last dine in a five-star hotel, and she was glad she agreed to wear her mother’s gold jewelleries, at least it made her feel decently dressed there.

“Have you been here before?” he asked.

“No. I heard it’s nice”

“It is” he agreed. “The food is great and the scenery is amazing”

She took a long time in choosing a menu, and he waited, noticing how she seemed to actually know what she wanted, but just confused in choosing which one, and he wondered whether she could eat well at home.

Once she’s done, they stared at each other, not knowing what else to talk about.

“Can I ask you something?” she inquired.

“Sure, anything”

“But it’s personal”

He smiled, “I think we’re supposed to talk personally anyway, so it’s ok”

“You have a son” she began, though it wasn’t really a question.

He already had a feeling she would want to know about that part of his life, and he thought she was brave to bring that up on her own.

“Yes. Maxwell”

“He’s adorable”

“And very naughty” he added, “But I agree. He is adorable”

“And his mother, Miss Sarah Casinghini”

“Yes?”

“She’s really beautiful”

“She is”

“Why don’t you marry her?”

“.........because we don’t have enough reason to marry”

“Why not?”

“She has turned into someone I don’t know. And a child, for me, doesn’t mean it’s enough reason to marry. We can still raise Maxwell together without marrying each other”

She couldn’t form a respond, and he commented, “You look like you horribly disagree”

“You’re the one who go through it, so I won’t say more”

“It’s ok if you still want to talk about it”

“No. No, I think that’s enough for now”

“For now?”

“Yes”

“Ok.........my turn?”

She nodded, as their appetizer arrived and she sampled it.

“Are you seeing anyone right now?”

“No”

“How come? A girl like you must have guys lining behind you, waiting for you to pick them”

She laughed at that. “That’s nice of you to say. But no, I have no guys lining behind me. And I’m not thinking of relationships now, either”

“Then why do you meet me tonight?”

“Because my mother asked me to”

“And your father’s hospital bills?”

He regretted it the second it came out from his mouth. But even more so when shock washed over her face, and her eyes instantly brimmed with tears.

Without a word, she snatched her bag and bolted from the restaurant.

He was stunned for a few seconds before he got up and chased after her.

He found her standing in front of the elevator, waiting for it to arrive.

“I’m sorry. I don’t know why I said that. I’m sorry Aom, I’m so sorry”

She sobbed harder when she heard him speaking, and he instinctively reached her hand. She pushed it away, yelling, “Don’t touch me!”.

“I’m sorry. I’m an idiot. I shouldn’t have said that. I’m very sorry”

She pushed his hands away again.

“How dare you? Who the hell do you think you are?”

“I’m sorry” he begged, thinking he’d do anything to stop those tears from coming and that hatred to disappear from her face.

“I knew this was a mistake, but I listened to my mom! Thank you for showing me I’m right, that we’re so wrong and impossible!”

“No, we’re not. I’m sorry, Aom. I’m sorry for saying that, I really do. Please forgive me”

She felt so angry and humiliated. No one had ever insulted her that way and she felt like slapping him.

People were already looking at them and she saw a girl snapping a picture. She guessed Mike was recognized. Exactly that second, the lift arrived, with around 8 people getting out, and she was suddenly pulled away.

“Let me go! I want to go home!”

“No, you can’t leave like this. You need to calm down and stop crying first”

She was somehow led to a quiet corner and there was suddenly only him and her, and it was dark and suffocating.

Seeing his face made her angry again and she turned her back on him.

The tears didn’t want to stop coming and she found herself sobbing hard.

She wasn’t sure why. Maybe she was exhausted, or stressed. Or she felt somewhat ashamed of meeting him from the beginning, since she knew deep down inside, she wanted to see him really just to pay for her father’s medical bills.

It really hurt and she had to clamp her hand on to not sob too hard.

Her back on him looked sad and thin, and she was shaking. Then he somehow reached for her and pulled her into his embrace.

She didn’t pull away, too overwhelmed with her own feelings.

“I’m really sorry.......please stop crying.......”

She lost her strength and cried more.

“Sushar......has life been really hard for you?”

She cried harder.

“Life has been really hard for me too......” she heard him say.

It took a few minutes until her sobs calmed down and she was sober enough to pull away.

“I need to wash my face” she informed without seeing his eyes, and he reached her hand, leading her to the ladies’ washroom.

She washed her face, inhaled and exhaled several times, before seeing her own face in the mirror.

She saw an angry girl who’s ashamed of what she did. Getting angry on a first date, crying hard like a maniac, then being hugged while sobbing.

“You’re so stupid” she told herself, before trying to get a grip. She then put on a little make-up then combed her hair, before walking out and finding Mike was still waiting for her.

“Would you like to go home now or would you go back to the restaurant?”

“........if we come home now, we’ll have to explain to our mothers why we’re home so early”

“I guess you’re right. So what do you want to do?”

Aom walked away without answering him, and he followed silently behind her, but she turned her heels and entered the restaurant again.

Their table wasn’t cleared yet, so they sat back on their seats.

A waiter professionally approached them and said, “I’ll change these with the warm soup, Sir”

“Thank you” Mike said gratefully.

He couldn’t say anything after that, and Aom was looking at the scenery.

And then suddenly, another waiter appeared, carrying a bouquet of white roses and giving it to her.

She was really surprised, then she turned to him.

“I’m very sorry”

Aom stared down at the pretty white roses, before putting it carefully on the seat beside her.

“It’s alright. I guess I.....overreacted”

“No, you didn’t. You’re right to be angry. I was being an idiot”

“.........you have a right for saying that”

“No, I don’t. I deserve a slap for that”

She’s taken aback with that, then asked, “Can I slap you now?”

“Yes, you can”

She smiled a little. “No. No, I won’t”

He didn’t know what to do next, and was grateful when she said, “Can we just........finish this dinner?”

“Ok”

They finished their dinner mostly in silence. None wanted to try at another conversation, until they finished their dessert.

When they’re back in his car with a bouquet of white roses on her lap, he asked whether she wanted to go home by then.

“It’s only been an hour. Is an hour enough to make our mothers think we enjoy the date?”

“I don’t think so. Two hours are more like it”

“I think so too”

“What do you want to do now?”

“........have ice cream?”

He grinned, “Are you the type of girls who must have ice cream after crying?”

“Yeah” she smiled.

Fifteen minutes later, they sat at Baskin Robbins. She had two scoops of mint and strawberry while he had a glass of smoothie.

They were silent again, until Aom asked, “Do you have pictures of your son?”

“I have lots of it. Wanna see it?”

She nodded. “He’s really cute and handsome”

“Of course, he’s my son”

“He’s more handsome than you”

“What???”

“It’s true!”

“Ok. I’ll let it slide since I made you cry earlier. Here. This is all him. He also has his own instagram”

Aom accepted his phone and looked through Maxwells pictures, smiling wider and wider as she saw pictures of the cute baby boy.

And she laughed at a short clip of the baby dancing with Mike.

“He’s amazing, isn’t he?”

“Yes. Like a little miracle”

“He is a miracle”

She looked up at him.

“You love him so much, don’t you?”

“I do”

“Good for him, then”

“When I look at everything, all the troubles and difficulties......and then to compare it with having him, it all pays up. It’s all worth it. He makes it all worth it”

Aom couldn’t help to smile warmly at him.

“I can see it. The baby deserves all your love, I’m sure” she returned his phone, but it’s as if he didn’t realize it.

“Mike? Here”

“Huh? Oh, yeah. Thanks”

He blinked several times, thinking for sure that Aom was still single just because of her difficult life. No sane guys would be able to let a girl who could smile that sweet alone. It’s the kind of smile that would make any men do anything.

She finished her ice cream, and he drove her home.

Their mom looked comfortable together, chatting with coffee beside them and watching a prime time drama.

His mom turned radiant when she saw Aom holding a bouquet of roses.

“Thank you for tonight” he said to Aom.

She nodded and smiled a little.

“I think I’ll go home directly. Call me when you have time to join that event, phan”

“I will. See you”

*************************************************

Mike just sat behind the wheel when his mom already asked, “So, how was it? Did you do your best?”

I made her sob hard and got angry.

“I tried”

“Did you impress her?”

“I don’t know. She looks so normal”

“Normal is better than being giddy and giggling all the time like all your young fangirls. So? Tell me all about it? Did she like the restaurant?”

“...........yes, I guess”

“Do you like her? She’s very pretty and nice, right?”

“She’s........yeah, she’s nice”

“So? When will you next meet?”

“Mom, please. We just got back from a dinner, ok?”

“Did you ask her number?”

“............I didn’t”

“Idiot. Ah, nevermind, I have her number. I’ll tell it to you. You must be the one who contact her first, ok?”

I don’t think she’ll want to ever see me again.

“I think I’ll go to phan’s house again tomorrow to know what Aom thinks of you”

“Mom......don’t push her too hard”

“I’m not pushing her, Mike. I’m just curious. I want to know what she thinks about you”

He said nothing.

“You’re curious too, right?”

He still said nothing.

“Eyyy, admit it, you like her, right?”

“.........you’re really stressing me out, do you know that, Mom?”

“Oh, come on! I’m right again, am I? She’s going to be a perfect wife, isn’t she?”

“Whoever she ends up with, that guy will be very lucky”

“It has to be you, full stop”

“..........she might not want to marry me, Mom”

“What? Why? Did she say that? What did you do?”

I hurt her already.

“We just don’t know, right? Maybe she has other plans, or other guys in mind”

“But her mother said she’s not seeing anyone!”

He said nothing to that.

“Wait”

“What?”

“I haven’t heard YOU said anything negative”

Mike turned to his mother.

“I haven’t heard you say it won’t work out”

He passed an intersection without a word.

“I knew she’s perfect for you. I’m a genius mother. You better behave and don’t screw this up, ok? I’ll take care of everything”

“Everything is what, exactly?”

“The wedding, of course!”

He sighed.

“All you have to do is just get to know her. Or even better, make her fall in love with you”

His mom texted Ying that she’s home already, and they arrived seeing Ying nearly jumping with excitement at the porch.

“How was it? Did you have a great time? Do you like her?”

“I’m going home. I’ve had enough of you two crazy ladies today. Bye”

Before he drove off, he still heard Ying saying, “Mom, what did he say? You must tell me everything!”

“Ok, ok. So Mike said –“

He shook his head at the two then drove away, playing his radio.

The radio played “One Call Away” by Charlie Puth.

Didn’t Aom say she like this song?

He turned up the volume and tried to absorb the lyrics.

***********************************************

Author’s Note:

Mike is just a human who can say the wrong things, and Aom is just a human to be offended.

Stay tune for what happens next.

PS: I won runner up at the speech contest, and I can go to the higher level of the contest at March 19. I’m so happy. It’s the first time I won something in a speech contest.