Out of Character

Out of Character

She silently came up to his sleeping figure. Stared at him for a minute or two. She still can’t believe how lucky she was to be with him after all these years. “Yeobo, wake up! I’m about to leave now. I have an early flight. You’re all packed. I’ve arranged things with the airlines and I’d be able to join you tomorrow in China in time for your competition.”

“Do you really have to go now? Can’t you just come with me today?” He held her hand not wanting to let go.

“You do know that I have to right? This will be my last flight. I’ll be working in the office starting next week especially now that I’m entering my 2nd quarter of pregnancy.”

“Alright go! Take care of my baby okay. I’ll see you tomorrow in China.”

 

He was about to leave his room when suddenly he heard the announcement in the TV that an airplane coming from Japan crashed en route to China. He was suddenly paralyzed. He tried to remember where his dearest wife is coming from today. Just then his manager came for him and told him that his competition is about to start. He doesn’t know what to do. He just pointed to the television and his manager paled understanding why he’s acting that way.

He slowly went to a chair and sat in front of the TV. He had a hard time understanding the news for it was in Cantonese. He can just pick random words from here and there. Then it came… the most dreaded words he was hoping not to hear, the name of the aircraft. Tears suddenly fell from his eyes. Unknowingly organizers of the competition are at his door looking for him for the competition is starting. His manager explained what’s happening but one of the organizers was quite tactless and said, “Sir your game is about to start. Please go to the function room now.”

He suddenly stood up, looked at the man and said, “I don’t care about the game. The most important people in my life might be in that plane crash. Do you think I can still play? Get the hell out of my room now!” He shouted on top of his lungs.

His manager apologized to the organizers and humbly asked for them to leave and that they are forfeiting the game. The manager hurriedly called the airlines but unfortunately he can’t get through. All lines were busy.

His hotel phone rang just then and it was her sister on the other line asking if he knows anything or if he have news to share. He told her that he too knows nothing. Tears keeps on blinding him. He began to sob, he began to panic, he began to throw things around the room. The love of his life and their child were nowhere to be found. Is it the end of the world? How could he live without her?

Suddenly his door burst open and he can’t believe what he saw.

“Yeobo! You’re forfeiting your game? Are you out of your mind?”

She’s here. The face he was longing for. The body that is carrying his child. The voice that he loves. She’s here. She’s really here. He slowly walked towards her and held out his hand and just like always she held out her hand and took his hand. Finally, everything felt right again.

 

A/N: Not the usual huh? Is it so obvious that I'm a Suntaek fan? Hope you like this.