Final.

Stolen Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The sun shines brightly and the trees start to grow their leaves indicating that spring is coming. The pleasant weather makes this certain petite boy hum a familiar melody along his way to the small cafe he is currently working at.

A small smile is plastered on his face which makes him odd among the sea of serious faces of the people rushing to their work that day. He doesn’t mind being looked at weirdly by some because for Ryeowook, he feels something extra special for today. Maybe something good is about to happen.

He opened the door to the restaurant to find one or two customers as the staffs were yet to open for the day.

“Good morning Mrs. Lee. You’re early today!” Ryeowook greeted the elderly which is among their loyal customers.

“Oh yes dear. I need to run a few errands and breathe the fresh air in the morning,” she replied and after she got her usual order, she finally went out to where she is headed for the day.

Ryeowook started to help his hyungs in the cafe as customers begin to arrive one by one. It is a daily routine in his life ever since he graduated from college and so far he had been contented with what he has now. He is earning enough from a decent job, he is happy and what could he ask for more in his life?

“One more caramel frappuccino please,” Hyukjae ordered from the counter.

“Coming,”

While Hyukjae was busy dealing with the customers, Donghae and Ryeowook were working inside the kitchen. Everything flows smoothly inside the small cafe they are working at. It is one of the favourites around their area and aside from the tasty menu they offer, there is also a live singer performing occasionally.

“Did you hear about the performer for tonight Ryeowookie?”

“Hmm?”

“Hyukjae said that this person is a great vocalist,” Donghae said as he put the finished sandwiches and burgers to the counter to be served.

“He always say that to everyone,” Ryeowook replied not amused. Instead he focuses on blending all the ingredients. He doesn’t want this topic to lead to anything he avoids.

 “Oh come on, why don’t you try to be our guest singer even for just one night?”

“And leave you alone here in the kitchen? No way... that’s not my job here,”

“I’ll be fine just by myself,” Donghae insisted.

Ryeowook rolled his eyes. Ever since Donghae discovered his singing abilities, the boy had been urging him to sing for their customers. It must be a bad idea to sing while working for Ryeowook because his secret was revealed.

“Why are you avoiding this? It’s a pity that nobody knows how amazing your voice is,”

Ryeowook smiled uneasily as he wasn’t used to people praising his talent in singing. “I don’t sing anymore Hae. That was me before I got into college,” Ryeowook said as he remembered bits of memories of his youth.

~  ~

First day in middle school and Ryeowook sat alone at the back of the class while watching his classmates chat with their friends. Their family had just transferred into the city and he knew no one in this new environment. He can't do anything but watch in longing as his classmates share stories of their recent vacations.

It was then when somebody entered the classroom and walked straight to the empty seat beside Ryeowook.

"Is this seat taken?" the boy asked.

Ryeowook shook his head timidly, a little intimidated by the tall boy who had approached him. He was actually. the first one to talk to him in this new school.

The taller boy then took the seat and all the while they sat in silence as they wait for the teacher.

Ryeowook, slightly curious about the boy, took side glances at him. He wondered if he was new too since he was not talking to anyone in the class. Well, he later learned he was wrong. The boy was just not interested in talking to their classmates. He learned that the boy is a genius, perhaps the smartest in the class.

He learned that the boy was named Kyuhyun.

~  ~

Ryeowook avoided the rest of Donghae's inquiry for that day, however he couldn't help his mind from wandering to the times where he was so into music.

Music was a big part of his life before. There wasn't a day he forgets to play his piano or sing his favorite songs. He once dreamed to be a singer but it didn't get higher than the clouds as reality started to kick in.

He can't forget that day when he stopped dreaming about nonsense and started living what the reality has to offer him.

~  ~

The sun sets down as the crowd of high school students began to disperse into their own ways for home. The most important exam of their life was finally done. Everyone now has to wait for the results if they passed or not.

“I cannot go home not until I find it!! You know that it is important to me,” Ryeowook whined as he continued to dig in to his locker, determined that he’d just misplaced whatever he is missing right now.

“Are you sure you brought it today? Maybe you left it at home Wook,”

"I was holding it before we took the exams Min!" Ryeowook was starting to panic. Those notes hold the deepest secrets of his heart. Besides, the song written on it was so dear to him.

"Okay, okay calm down, we will look for it Wook..." Sungmin rubbed his bestfriend's shoulder to relax him but it didn't help Ryeowook's problem. The two looked for the missing notes until dark but they didn't find it.

Ryeowook felt broken when he didn't find it at home either. The song written on those notes were the song he dedicates to the person he loves so dearly. He carefully wrote it just for him alone and to lose it just like that was devastating.

 

However the hurt and confuseness can't be compared when Kyuhyun didn't attend the classes the following day. Days stretched into weeks until their graduation came and the boy disappeared in his life without a simple goodbye.

~  ~

Ryeowook smiled bitterly at his memory of his first love. He was surprised he still remembers everything in details despite all these years. That was the first and last time he had fallen in love. When Kyuhyun disappeared,  he didn't bother opening his heart again for anybody. His memories with the boy were still engraved in his heart.

His college friends had tried to hook him up with girls (or boys) but he wasn't interested in any of them. They've always wondered who is this Kyuhyun in his life and what did this person do to have so much effect in Ryeowook's life.

Ryeowook didn't share the story of how he fell in love with that boy. He had only ever written it once, but those notes were lost now, along with the song he made for him.

 

That night Ryeowook barricaded himself inside the kitchen. He didn’t bother greeting the guest performer for the night whom he heard that was Hyukjae’s friend. He drowned himself in the orders and dedicated his energy to satisfy the taste buds of their beloved customers for that night.

Although no matter how much he avoids it, he can still hear the sound of piano playing even in the kitchen. When the first words of the song played, he stopped from his tracks.

 

When the wind is cold, wear warmer clothes
Even if I’m not there don’t skip a meal

 

Ryeowook sat alone on the bench during lunch time. He choose this place to go instead of the school canteen since nobody was here. Although he didn't have the appetite to eat his meal since he is alone.

He sighed, guessing that he needs another excuse for his mom when she asks why he didn't eat his meal.

He watched as the wind rattles the leaves off the trees. He didn't hear the soft footsteps behind him. He was utterly shocked when a hand dropped his packed lunch on the space beside him.

"You shouldn't be skipping your lunch. It's unhealthy,"

Ryeowook looked up to see the face of the intruder, only to blush in shyness. Kyuhyun joined to sit beside him holding his own lunch box.

"What are you waiting for? Let's eat Ryeowook-ah!"


Always smile brightly, like that shining star
You shine inside of me

 

From that day onwards, Ryeowook found a friend in Kyuhyun. The two had stuck together every time and slowly but surely, the shy boy began to warm up to the taller boy who befriended him.

“I don’t understand why you manage to be always at the t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter