A Writer's Creation

A Raw Chicken's JongYu Collection

Jonghyun's the definition of an average student, or so he claims to be.

Average students don't get C's or lower in all of their classes. Nor do they sit through their classes without paying any attention, only to be sent to the Principal's office where they're berated for acting so irresponsibilities. Average students don't just shrug and zone out because they've heard the same thing over and over again and can't be bothered with hearing it again. Average students have friends, not like Jonghyun who mostly slinks to the back of the room and keeps to himself.

In reality, Jonghyun's the complete opposite of an average student. But this story isn't focused around student Jonghyun- at least, not completely. Though school is important, this story revolves around Jonghyun the orphan who lives in a little beat up house on the edge of town; it revolves around that same orphan boy who gets himself tangled in a strange twist of fate and has all of his wishes come true.

It starts on a Wednesday on the afternoon. You can choose the date, if you'd like. It doesn't really matter, because the place Jonghyun lives in is fictional and a majority of this story won't make sense anyway.

The rain soaks through Jonghyun's flimsy jacket on his way home. He has work later that evening, and hopefully once he gets his paycheck, he'll be able to afford a better jacket or a pair of gloves. He exites himself on thoughts of the possibility of buying such nice things for himself. He could only hope there is extra money after buying the jacket for him to go to that little pastry shop he passes every day to buy himself a little cake. It's not his birthday; he just likes the thought of pampering himself once in a while.

Other teens pass Jonghyun, running in the rain with joyful or annoyed expressions on their faces. Some of them offer him an umbrella -he rejects them kindly-, and others don't even glance back at the friends running behind them. Everyone's too busy looking for comfort from the pouring rain.

His house is on the edge of town, like mentioned earlier, and he doesn't want others to go out of their way when they have nothing to do with him. Plus, he likes the sound of rain; it's oddly comforting in such a lonely world. He's just about to pass that little pastry shop on the way home, when he notices a young woman standing outside with a small box in her hand. She doesn't have a jacket at all and Jonghyun glances down at himself with a light sigh; she definitely needs a jacket more.

So he joins her where stands, under the awning that gifts just enough cover from the rain that she's able to keep herself dry. He places his backpack on the ground and she turns to watch him in mild shock as he takes his jacket off and holds it out to her.

"What about you?" She asks quietly, and one of her hands hesitantly lets go of the box and reaches out to take the jacket from his grip. It's pretty much soaked through, but it's better than nothing.

"My house is nearby." He lies, but it's not like she knows that he still has ten blocks to go until he gets home. She looks like she's in a rush, anyway, and Jonghyun has hours until he has to go to work.

"Thank you so much. Here, take this." She bends over and lifts another box, just slightly bigger than the one in her hands previously, and gives it to him in trade of the jacket he's giving up to her,

"I accidentally bought too much. Bring it home and enjoy it with your parents."

Unknowingly to her, Jonghyun's heart drops at the mention of what he doesn't have, and he silently watches her run off in his jacket. She's a nice lady, he decides in the end, and he leaves with another light shrug.

He's curious as to what's in the little box, though it smells sweet and it has him hurrying along just to have a taste of the treat in the box; no matter how soaked it would be by the time he's home.

In fact, he's so curious that he doesn't bother looking down at the sidewalk when he's walking, and miraculously avoids planting himself onto the ground. What he finds when he straightens himself out is a beat up notebook, and he takes pity on it. Considering a lot about his life is beat up and abandoned, he lifts it into his hands and dashes off as the rain promptly begins to fall harder.

He ignores the weird tingling sensation he felt the moment he pulled that notebook into his grasp. It's probably nothing anyway.

That evening, Jonghyun puts the old notebook in front of a blowing fan -one that hardly works-, in order to have it dry. He's much more curious about the treat in the box than the book, anyway, because he was just thinking about buying himself a cake anyway. He was mildly disappointed when he didn't see a cake inside the box, but that disappointment was shortly lived when he saw the various pastries in the box.

He ate six of them within five minutes and promptly threw himself on the couch when he caught the first sign of his stomach ache. Sugar is a great thing, but not when there's so much at once.

Jonghyun wants to doze off, because he only has two hours to sleep before working a night shift and when morning comes, he's off straight to school, but sleep won't come to him no matter how tired his body is. 

Instead, he crosses over the small living room to where the fan is sitting on the coffee table, and shuts it off. The notebook is fairly dry by this point, and Jonghyun opens it to find any hint on whose notebook it is. It looks as if it's decades old, with discolored paper and binding so loose that the pages are falling out. The pages themselves are completely blank, and Jonghyun flips through it for anything that can tell him who was careless enough to lose such a unique book. There's nothing, though, and Jonghyun eventually slinks back to the couch with the notebook in his hand.

He reaches down to where he dropped his backpack and digs out a pen; he'd might as well use the notebook if it had no one else to go back to. He's always fancied the idea of having a journal, but a journal is hard to have when you don't have the time or money for one. 

Hey, I'm Kim Jonghyun.

His words seem to flutter on the page for a moment, but Jonghyun's convinced he's seeing things, because there's no way his writing could move like that... right?

Today was a good day, I guess. I didn't get into too much trouble when I zoned out during class. The teacher didn't look very pleased in me, but for once she didn't pick on me when my hand wasn't up. 

It was raining on my way home, and I got two great surprises; you were one of them, journal. The other surprise was this box of sweets. The lady who gave them to me was kind, saying she wanted me to share them with my parents...

I wish I had family to share these with. I'm bound to get cavities if I keep eating them on my own like this. Plus, the house is getting pretty lonely when I'm the only one here. It'd be nice to have a family member to share it with me.

Jonghyun yawned and shut the notebook. He definitely wasn't done with his journal entry, but he had less than an hour to get to work and it only gave him enough time for a quick shower and to grab something other than one of those delicious pastries on his way out.

It's a good thing he shut the notebook when he did, or he'd be absolutely dumbfounded as everything he wrote disappeared from that page, leaving only one sentence in its wake; and only for a moment before that, too, disappeared.

Your wish shall be granted.

 


 

When Jonghyun returned from school the next day, now thoroughly exhausted from having no sleep within the last 40 hours, he was surprised to see all the lights on from the outside. He froze in front of the door, because half of those lights hadn't been touched since his parents died. And then he panicked, because what if he was being robbed?

He didn't have much worth stealing, but everything there had sentimental value and Jonghyun didn't want anyone taking off with what was left of his family. Taking his backpack and holding it before him as a shield, Jonghyun knocked into the door using his shoulder.

"Who's there?!" Jonghyun asked, his voice going stiff as he took in the state of the house. Before today, due to Jonghyun's overly busy lifestyle, it was full of dust and grime. It was sparkling now, and Jonghyun couldn't believe his eyes. The thief must have taken pity on him and decided to do some cleaning up before he took off.

"Is that you hyung?!" An unfamiliar voice calls, and Jonghyun's eyes widen in horror and surprise as a male who seems younger than himself stumbles out of the kitchen. His face is small and sharp, his eyes resembling a feline's.

"Why are you calling me your hyung?! Why are you in my house?! Who the hell are you?!" Jonghyun's questions roll out one after another in spitfire, and he backs away as the stranger steps closer.

"I'm Kibum, hyung... you wished for me." The stranger mutters, and his face looks disappointed as Jonghyun takes another step away.

Something in Jonghyun's heart snaps, because the look on the stranger's face is one that has Jonghyun wanting to retract everything he had just done. The stranger, now known as Kibum, is wearing the old apron Jonghyun's mother used to wear every morning while making their small family of three breakfast. 

"Wished? What do you mean?" Jonghyun's less angry now and more confused. He doesn't recall wishing for a stranger to be in his house while he's out for the day.

"The notebook. You asked for a family member, hyung, so I'm here now!" Kibum explained, and because Jonghyun's an idiot, he takes a moment to gape at Kibum before scrambling over to the notebook.

"But- how could this--?" Jonghyun can't form proper phrases by this point, because nothing even makes sense to him anymore. He just wrote that he wished he had family to share his dessert with, it didn't mean he wanted a stranger in his house.

Kibum had slipped back into the kitchen as soon as Jonghyun flung himself at the notebook he found yesterday, because Kibum's job was simply to be like Jonghyun's family member until Jonghyun didn't need him around any longer.

Sure enough, when Jonghyun opened the notebook to the first page, everything he had written down on it had been wiped off. His fingers fumbled around the page, because he was sure he had written something down, but there was nothing. The book was completely empty like it had been when Jonghyun found it.

"You came from this book?" Jonghyun asks Kibum, because he's not sure he's following on what Kibum's telling him. Everything sounds like a gurgled mess and Jonghyun's sure he's actually still at school dreaming.

Kibum came back out of the kitchen at the question he was asked, and in his hand was a plate full of fried rice. It's been years since Jonghyun's seen such a delicious looking meal and he wonders where the ingredients came from; he's certainly never seen them before in his kitchen.

"You stumbled across a notebook that carries centuries worth of magic; it might just be the most powerful thing in history. It has power to grant your every wish. I am the perfect example- you wished for a family member and I was created."

Jonghyun lets go of the book so quickly that it falls right onto the ground with a soft thud. Jonghyun's afraid of that thing now, because why was such a magical thing in his poessession? Was this beginning to unfold like a cheap hollywood film?

"Hyung? Are you okay?" Kibum's facial expression twists into concern for a moment as he places the fried rice down onto the coffee table and reaches down for the notebook Jonghyun tossed onto the ground.

"How- what- I'm just so confused." Jonghyun answers honestly, and he's sure in his mind that everything has happened for a reason, but none of those reasons make sense to him.

"Isn't this the kind of power that gives birth to people like Hitler and Trump? Why did I have to find this book?"

"I don't know the details, hyung. All I know is that I was created to act as a family member to you. It means I'll be your brother until you decide you don't want me anymore. Are you saying you don't need me at all?" Kibum's original excitement has been toned down, and now there's a slight scowl on his lips, like he doesn't understand why Jonghyun's being so difficult.

Jonghyun recoils for a moment, and not because of Kibum's sudden change of behavior. Although the entire situation makes no sense to him, Jonghyun did at one point or another wish for someone to enter his lonely life and make it more interesting. He wasn't going to let Kibum disappear now that they met.

"N-no. I want you to stay. It's just... what about school and stuff?" Jonghyun's a lot more gentle now, maybe even afraid as he asks.

"Like I said, I don't know the details." Kibum shrugs, but his scowl is gone and replaced with the smile from earlier, and Kibum turns back to the kitchen with a hop in his step,

"You can ask the book, though. It's bound to know something."

"You mean, this notebook?" Jonghyun whispers, but it's not loud enough for Kibum to hear. The notebook is warm in his grip, almost as if it's alive, and Jonghyun isn't surprised to feel the warmth; if it's really made of magic, then why would the warmth be such a surprise? It's also lighter than it was the day before, as if a few pages had fallen out; he's not surprised because of how old the book looks). So he opens it, to the same blank page he had looked over earlier and swallows nervously as he picks up his pen.

Hello? This is Jonghyun. I don't know if this will really work. I was in for a real surprise today when I got home. Kibum- if that's really his name- suddenly appeared in my house and claims that he's there because I wished for him.

He has no idea of how to continue. He feels stupid for writing to the notebook like it's going to answer him. A part of him is getting ready to stand up and drag Kibum out of his house, because whatever game he's playing isn't a fun one; but the words on the page begin to flutter, and they slowly disappear. Jonghyun almost threw the notebook off him a second time.

He is correct. You had expressed your desire for a family member, and seeing your honest intentions in asking for a family member, I granted your wish.

This is some weird Harry Potter stuff, Jonghyun decides. The handwriting that comes along with the reply is cursive and strangely beautiful. Jonghyun traces his fingers over the lettering because whoever was behind this notebook seemed like a wonderful person.

Why me? How do you know I'm a good person?

He watches as the words flutter and fade again. He doesn't know why, but as he watches them fade and be replaced with new words, a sense of peace washes over him. It's weird, because he doesn't exactly know what any of this means, but he's enjoying the conversation he's having with the magical notebook.

When you made contact with me, I caught a glimpse of your recent past. In the same day you gave your lunch money to a pair of poor children out on the street, gave your only jacket to a lady in front of a pastry shop, and took home a notebook that was soaked in the rain. If you are not a good person, Jonghyun, then you hide it extremely well.

And Jonghyun shuts the notebook with more force than he intends to.

 


 

Jonghyun was a little weary of leaving Kibum alone for the night, so he called in sick. It was his first time ever calling in sick, so his boss just hummed and agreed to looking for a last minute replacement for Jonghyun for the night shift.

"You're staying home tonight?!" Kibum was excited and by the twinkle in his eyes, Jonghyun couldn't help the fond smile that lit his own face. 

He glanced over at the notebook for a moment before his gaze returned to Kibum. It was a series of confusing events, and Jonghyun had no idea of what to make of it, but he was kind of relieved for the company. And it gives him a reason to stay home for a night, too.

"We'd might as well get to know each other. Tomorrow we're going to enroll you into my school and I work the night shift as well. It's our only chance to talk." Jonghyun takes in Kibum's excited expression once more. Kibum apparently came with a vast wardrobe, one that took up the entire empty bedroom when Jonghyun saw it. He also apparently came with money, which answers where he had gotten the ingredients from earlier for their dinner.

"You don't need to go back to work, hyung! I'm made of magic, so my money never runs out." Kibum's logic also made no sense, but Jonghyun calmly explained how he wanted to be able to support the two of them with his own hard work.

"You can save it for yourself, Bummie. It's your money so you should spend it however you'd like." 

The two of them are currently sitting on the ground around the coffee table. The food that had been there earlier was cleared away by Kibum and in its place was the strange notebook that gave Jonghyun more questions than answers.

By Midnight, the two of them were practically close enough to have known each other their whole lives. Kibum was a year younger than Jonghyun and had the tendency to be blunt with an addiction to shopping. At least, that's how he was created to be the day before.

"Doesn't it bother you? You were just created for one reason. You were just thrown into this world with a role and a personality." Jonghyun furrows his eyebrows as he rants, because surely Kibum wants more than to be the 'brother' of a person he knows nothing about.

"I don't think of it that way, hyung. It's more like I was created because someone needed me in their life." Kibum answers, and when a smile graces his lips, Jonghyun immediately smiles back.

"But... what happens if I say you aren't needed?" Jonghyun asks this time, because Kibum makes himself sound like an object rather than a person.

"Then I go back to where I came from! I'm just here until I'm not needed, honestly." Kibum says, and he places his hand gently over the book, like it's his lifeline. Jonghyun understands, that in some ways, the book really is Kibum's lifeline.

And Jonghyun's heart cracks then, because if ever Jonghyun gets angry and says he doesn't need Kibum, he'd disappear. Jonghyun's had enough of people disappearing, and he doesn't want to see Kibum disappear as well.

"Even if I don't mean to say it?"

Kibum looks sombre at this and looks down at himself, shrugging his shoulders in a half hearted manner, "I think so. You'd have to ask the book about it."

"What is this book, really?" Jonghyun asks, his eyes glancing down at the book before they return to Kibum. Kibum is starting to yawn at this point, and is surprised by his own actions. Jonghyun guesses he's really not used to being a human.

"I don't really know, hyung. All I know is that one moment I'm floating somewhere in the space-time continum, and the next moment, I'm here with a purpose." Kibum shrugs, rubs at his eyes, and stands up. He's finally figured out that he's falling asleep and heads toward the empty room he'd chosen earlier.

Deciding he would like some answers as to why any of this is possible, Jonghyun opens the magical notebook and takes out his pen. He feels a little guilty for shutting the book earlier, so he doesn't know if the book will appreciate him coming back so quickly.

Is it true that if I say I don't need him anymore, Kibum will disappear?

He waits for a moment, and when the words flutter and disappear, a small smile tugs at Jonghyun's lips, and he presses his finger against the forming words. They're warm, and a different kind of warmth from the rest of the book; it's as if those words are being spoken and the warmth from the breath is the gentle heat of the words.

That is not exactly how the spell will be lifted. In order for Kibum's existence to return to what it once was, you have to sincerely say you don't need him anymore. Not with the feeling of anger, but with joy.

Jonghyun doesn't get it. If Kibum's made to be his brother, there's no way he's ever going to want him to go. He feels tears stinging the back of his eyes, because after everything, there's a chance that Kibum will leave him too.

I don't want to lose anyone else.

He waits a little longer this time. The words flutter, but instead of fading away, they look a little muddy- like someone's tears fell on them and smudged the ink. Jonghyun wiped at his cheeks, but no tears had fallen from his face.

I apologize. I have spent centuries being passed between beings that merely used my magic for horrid things. You are the first to treasure what I have provided. I am honored to have given Kibum to you. He will be with you for the remainder of your days on the human planet.

Those words are muddy as well, and Jonghyun feels his stomach churn in guilt. This book really is just like a living person and for that reason, Jonghyun found himself having the desire to bring joy back to this book.

You, too. I don't want to lose you too. I don't know what you are, and I don't understand what any of this really is, but I don't want to lose you. I'll protect you with my life, so please stay with me.

The muddied words disappear, as do the other words that had been shared between Jonghyun and the living book. Jonghyun feels his chest lighten, because the book gives off another wave of heat and he looks down at the words that form on the page.

I'll gladly stay with you.

Jonghyun traces those words, smiling to himself as they also disappear, and Jonghyun slowly closes the notebook. It's been a long and confusing two days, but Jonghyun still finds himself grateful to whoever dropped this notebook.

Because he has two precious additions to his otherwise average life.

 


 

Things are great for a couple of days. More like a month, actually. Jonghyun and Kibum go to school together and go home together afterwards. Kibum makes lunch, Jonghyun and he eat together, and then Jonghyun leaves to go to work. Kibum's a mostly independent person, so Jonghyun's glad that Kibum doesn't cling to him when they meet up in the morning, but Jonghyun also feels guilty.

Jonghyun has found out that Kibum doesn't actually have friends other than himself. Though Jonghyun is kind of grateful to have someone to spend his lonely days with, he's afraid that Kibum will end up becoming as lonely as he had been. After all, Jonghyun has to leave Kibum alone every day to a completely empty house.

Finally, when all the guilt accumulates and Jonghyun feels like he's just about to burst from how sorry he feels to leave Kibum alone all of the time, he confides in his notebook. Kibum has waved him off every time Jonghyun apologized for leaving him alone like it didn't even matter to him, but that was beside the point. Jonghyun didn't want Kibum to live only for the purpose of keeping Jonghyun from being lonely. Now that Kibum had a body and a heart and a mind, he should have his own life.

Can I talk to you about something?

He confides in the notebook regularly, and especially when he can't tell Kibum about what's going on. When Jonghyun failed an exam and was told by his teacher that there was a chance he would have to repeat the grade, Jonghyun went to his room and cried as he wrote his woes down onto the notebook. The replies were warm and full of support. 

Likewise, when a girl two grades below him confessed that she had feelings for Jonghyun, Jonghyun went to his notebook and asked what he should do. It was because of the notebook that his head was calm enough for him to reject the girl kindly. 

Jonghyun was glad to have found this book again, like he always found himself being. It might not have been a human and there might not be a lot of opportunities for him to confide in the magical notebook, it feels like the book itself is forgiving him of his neglegence every time those words fluttered and were replaced by others.

Anything. You know this.

He does, although he smiles sheepishly down at the book. It's best to ask before just jumping straight into it, after all. Jonghyun's fingers skim over the pages of the book, noting that several pages have been added; he would know, it's gotten a bit heavier since Kibum arrived. 

It's about Kibum. You see, I'm grateful that you've supplied me with a family member. Kibum's a great younger brother to have. He cooks and cleans, and he has a great sense of humor, but...

He watches the words flutter and disappear. No answer comes, however, and Jonghyun knows it's the notebook's way of telling him to continue elaborating. It's happened enough times for Jonghyun to know.

I... It feels wrong that Kibum's only purpose is to be a brother to me, you know? He doesn't try to make friends, he doesn't go out unless it's for groceries or if I'm with him... and he doesn't tell me that he's lonely when I'm not around, but I can tell that he is. 

The familiar sensation of the words fluttering and disappearing took hold, and a moment later, Jonghyun watched new words form.

You want for Kibum to have a free will, do you not?

Jonghyun was relieved that the book understood what he was implying without him having to spell it out. He felt selfish and guilty for asking such things, since he was certainly asking for too much.

I know I'm asking for too much... I just... Kibum's growing on me, you know? I want to raise him like a real younger brother. I want to hear of his dreams and watch him fall in love and stress out about working.

There's silence in the writing for a few minutes. This is also something that happens; as if the notebook is waiting and thinking of an appropriate response before giving him one. It makes him a little sad when it happens, since he's so used to the constant replies, but he feels himself perk up again when new words are formed on the paper.

You have yet to ask for 'too much', Jonghyun. The love in your heart never ceases to astound me, considering the pain you have gone through since before my arrival in your life. If this is something I can do for you, who is doing much more for me than you can ever understand, I will gladly do it.

Jonghyun tears up, then, and a few tears drop onto the paper. It's the first time the notebook has actually gotten him to cry, though he has gotten close on several occasions. He has spent many years without affection, since he is an orphan after all, and sometimes the notebook speaks to him like he is the most precious thing in existence.

He grips at his pen, but as he looks down to the words that faded away, he notices that more words have come to take their place.

Do not cry, Jonghyun.

So his tears still, because that's the kind of power this mysterious book has on him. He feels his lips curve into a smile again, and his fingers trace over those four words, because it's the first time someone stopped him from crying, and this someone wasn't anything more than a notebook.

In order to distract himself, Jonghyun grips the pen again -having dropped it to wipe his eyes-, and presses the tip of the pen back onto the paper.

I was thinking of going to the pet store to get a pet to keep Kibum company while I'm working. What do you think?

The silence returns, and Jonghyun can feel the puzzlement the book must be under. It might know a lot of things, but there were things even the book didn't know about.

A pet? What would be the purpose of getting a pet?

Jonghyun shakes his head and tilts his head back as he considers why he wants to buy a pet in the first place.

I'm thinking of getting a puppy, because those are fun to train and Kibum's around often enough to keep a puppy company. Oh, or maybe I can get Kibum a frog. Kibum and I saw a frog the other day and Kibum was absolutely frightened. It would be nice to see the horror on his face when I bring a frog home. What do you think?

The notebook becomes silent again, but there are a few waves of heat radiating off of the book and it almost feels like the notebook is chuckling at his response.

I have not seen many brothers in my life span, but I have this sinking feeling that many of them would be like you. 

Jonghyun chuckles out loud and catches Kibum's attention. Like he had been woken from a sleeping spell, Kibum barreled out of his room to the living room where Jonghyun was sitting, and his eyes are filled with more emotions than they had been just an hour ago. Jonghyun's relieved, but he doesn't exactly like the glare Kibum gives him.

"Can you quiet down? I'm trying to get my rest. I don't want to wake up looking hideous like you."

And with that, Kibum whisks away and Jonghyun is admittedly a little afraid of the free-willed Kibum, even though the guy is also endearing in his own right. Jonghyun shudders at the memory of what had just taken place and looks down at the notebook again, though it seems that the mysterious book had answered his question while he was distracted.

You asked for friends to keep Kibum company, and I will grant this wish.

When Jonghyun looked up, he felt grateful it was the weekend and his night off.

 


 

The notebook, instead of materializing a puppy or a little toad to become the resident pets in their household, had instead sent two human beings. Jonghyun fainted as soon as he saw the two of them, because wasn't Kibum enough?

When he awoke again, the sun was starting to peek through over the tops of houses across the street from where Jonghyun lived. He hadn't been moved from the living room, and the notebook is still sprayed open on the table; though it looks like half of its pages have been lost. Jonghyun is alarmed by the state of which the notebook is in, but before he could check on it and inspect what had happened to it, he heard a snore.

His eyes wide in comical horror, he turned his head to see a thin, long body with a mess of dark brown hair sprawled over his couch, and he was drooling. Pretty bad, by the looks of it. He starts pushing himself onto his feet so he can wake this long body up, but his attention is caught by another body laying right on his carpet floor. This one is also long and thin, but has light hair and Jonghyun could see a round baby-like face.

Why are these two so tired, anyway? Weren't they just thought up? Kibum didn't seem exhausted at all when they first met! It's like these two-- had free wills and thus just chose to sleep because there wasn't much to do anyway. Like when Kibum arrived, there were clothes littered around the room and Jonghyun didn't know what he was supposed to do.

Thankfully, Kibum had been the one to freak out -if you don't include Jonghyun's fainting spell-, and had only been in the living room for a second before he let out an ear piercing shriek. Not only did Jonghyun cringe, but he had picked up the notebook and held it to his chest. He didn't want the notebook to possibly be damaged any more by Kibum's scream.

It was because of this that the two unknown guests were awakened, though, with the male on his couch falling right onto the ground. Jonghyun held back his laughter, because it really would be an inappropriate time to laugh.

"Who the hell are you two?!" Kibum demands to know, and Jonghyun watches the two strangers glance at each other as if they were trying to decide on who was going to introduce them.

"I'm Taemin, and that's Minho." The one who spoke had a gentle voice and his hand had absentmindedly been lifted to scratch his head. Jonghyun's eyes flickered between the pair of new bodies and then to Kibum, who finally seemed to have everything click together in his head.

"Jonghyun hyung wished for us to keep you company." Minho says, a charming smile lighting his face, even though he had been drooling all over Jonghyun's furniture three minutes ago.

"Well this was fun, but I have homework to do. Bummie, show them to the guest rooms, will you?" Jonghyun hurries back to his bedroom because he can tell Kibum's about to question him, and lets out a long sigh of relief when he successfully makes it into his room without being stopped by either of the three people he had somehow wished for.

After a minute of glaring down at the notebook held to his chest, Jonghyun tossed it onto his bed and began pacing the length of his room. He was upset; okay, maybe more confused than upset. He had mentioned getting a pet to keep Kibum company and the notebook decides to hand him two human beings instead? Where's the logic in that?!

Jonghyun finally climbs onto his bed with a pen and flips open the cover of the notebook. He's planning on ranting, on telling the notebook that there's a fine line between having an animal for a pet and having a human for one, but he stops to think. More pressing than the fact that two humans appeared in his house was the fact that the notebook seemed to have lost so many pages. He thought for a while, until his eyebrows furrowed into a worried grin; he hoped it wasn't what he thought it was.

Does your losing pages have to do with granting my wishes?

There is silence, but the words are fluttering and disappearing like they always do when the notebook acknowledges his words. It's the book's way of saying yes, Jonghyun decides, though he doesn't like the way his heart clenches at the thought of the notebook suffering because of him.

Does it... hurt?

Another silence looms, but Jonghyun is busy fidgeting with the lacking number of empty pages to notice it. He wants to understand why he's suddenly so concerned about a book of all things, but can't seem to wrap his mind around it.

Not exactly. The process of granting a wish does take away some pages, my life to be more precise, but over time my life is returned. It is like when a body receives an injury; it will take time, but the injury will eventually heal.

Jonghyun doesn't like the answer, even if it is poetic in a way. His fingers ghost over the words anyway, and he feels the same warmth whenever he's done this action before. It's as if something is pressing against his fingers and giving him a gentle reassurance.

Don't grant any more of my wishes, okay? No matter what, unless it's something dire that we discuss thoroughly before it's granted.

The words he had just written become muddy, and Jonghyun watches with a sad smile full of guilt making its way onto his face as the words slowly disappear and are replaced with the notebook's answer.

I apologize. I will be more careful from now on. Please do not be upset with me.

And Jonghyun takes in a sharp breath because he wasn't upset at the notebook at all; at least, not for the reason that the book thinks. Jonghyun's more than glad that the notebook thinks enough of him to grant him his wishes. He just would prefer them both benefitting from the wishes rather than him sit around while the notebook has lost pages.

It's not that I'm upset with you. I am grateful that you're in my life. I will never regret finding you, either. You've brought joy to my life and you gave me three boys that I can already tell I will love. I just don't want to sit here being happy while you are fading away. I don't want to lose you.

If the words were muddy before, they were completely unrecognizable now, with all the smudges they underwent. Jonghyun can't help the gentle laughter that escapes his lips. Whoever it is behind this book is the most precious thing Jonghyun had ever had the honor to meet.

I understand. Thank you, Jonghyun, for worrying about me.

Jonghyun chuckled gently, his fingers tracing over the two sentences. Whenever that notebook called him by name, Jonghyun felt like the most absolutely luckiest person alive. Never once had his name looked so beautiful; but the writing of the notebook and the warmth it radiates is enough to make him feel like he's the most beautiful person to ever have existed.

You know my name, but is there a name I can call you?

The words flutter and disappear, and Jonghyun waits with bated breath. He's not sure if the notebook understands, or maybe it's just hesitant to give him a name. Jonghyun doesn't really know why the notebook would be hesitant to give him a name, since he's already told this notebook everything there is to know about him, but he waits anyway.

Jinki. My name is Jinki.

 


 

With the addition of Minho and Taemin, Jonghyun's house was always bustling. Minho had somehow come with a video game station, and when his eyes weren't rotting away in front of the beat up television screen, he was outside running laps around the block. Jonghyun's glad that Minho has a competitive spirit and a love for athletics, he just wishes Minho doesn't drag him out half of the time he goes to exercise.

On the other hand, Taemin messes around with the piano that has been sitting against the wall untouched for many years. He dances, too, and Jonghyun is always struck speechless when he watches Taemin dance; it's like Taemin's made to dance. Kibum takes to them easily, though he starts off giving Jonghyun glares; because he should have been the one to ask for company in the first place. Jonghyun takes a little more time, and because of a few different reasons.

Having the four of them in his house together makes him the elder brother and thus, the responsible adult. He enrolls them in school -he's surprised that all three of them have social security numbers and the like because it's like the notebook thought everything through before making them-, comes home straight after work every morning to make sure they're all ready for school -Kibum takes an hour just doing his hair-, and considers himself to be the guardian for the three boys.

They become popular within the first week of school they attend together. Kibum had caught a few glances earlier, but was often ignored because he was friends with Jonghyun and Jonghyun's someone no one cares for, but with the addition of two more handsome boys, they become the group everyone talks about. Teachers are curious and suspicious as to who they were and why they had suddenly moved to their town without prior notice. Jonghyun says Kibum is actually his step brother and came to live with him because their birth father was worried about Jonghyun; Minho and Taemin were supposedly Kibum's best friends and tagged along for that reason. Otherwise, Jonghyun just lets their comments slip away.

Jonghyun slowly figures that he has feelings for Jinki, the mysterious notebook he had stumbled upon months ago. It's a weird situation, especially since Jinki doesn't actually have a physical body and is no more than a bunch of papers bound together, but he can't stop his heart from falling. He would know, he'd already tried several times.

He does what he can to keep away from the notebook, Jinki, because he knows that with injuries time is needed to rest. However, Kibum had somehow gotten ahold of the notebook and Jonghyun only silently watched as Kibum and the other two write in the notebook. Jonghyun shouldn't feel jealous, because that notebook gave him those three boys, but Jonghyun wants to spend more time with Jinki.

But with three mouths other than his own to fill, time isn't a luxury he can afford. Jonghyun's taken up the evening shift now, going straight to work after school so he can get home early enough to read Taemin a story to sleep. The other three are pleasantly glowing when he tells them of his shift change, and suddenly they're all sleeping on his bed with him.

"We spent all morning together in school." Jonghyun reminded Minho, who had already changed into his pajamas and was laying down on Jonghyun's king sized bed. It used to belong to Jonghyun's parents, but he finds it a relief that it's his bed now.

"Part of the reason why we were created was to keep you company, hyung." Minho answers, and Jonghyun shifts his gaze just for a moment to watch as Taemin walks into the room with a stuffed animal in his arms.

"But... Jinki said he would give you free will." Jonghyun bites at his lower lip guiltily, because he feels bad that the others can't have lives of their own. They have other bedrooms, after all, so why would they give up the chance to sleep on their own beds just because of Jonghyun?

"He did give us free will. We prefer to be here with you." Kibum follows Taemin into the room and throws himself onto the bed, and Jonghyun's eyes widen in comedic surprise.

"We like being with you, hyung!" Taemin adds cheerfully, and with a tug on Jonghyun's wrist, the four of them are cuddled under his bedsheets. It's not particularly cold, but with how they hold each other, it might as well be.

"Thank you." His voice is soft when he speaks, but he goes unheard. Minho loves his sleep and so he's the first to fall asleep, and Taemin's soon to follow. Kibum is about to fall asleep, Jonghyun can tell, but his arm wraps around Jonghyun's waist and squeezes it.

"I know it's weird to hear this from us, considering we just appeared suddenly, but we love you. When I was created, Jinki's desire to give you love was carved into me. Even with a free will and my own thoughts, it's his desire to give you love that courses through me; through all of us. Before you say anything, no, it's not something we feel burdened by. You are family to us, now, giving you love is what we want to do."

Jonghyun waits then, with tears silently falling down onto the pillow. He doesn't know why Jinki thought so greatly of him that he created all three of them to show him love. Jonghyun's not even sure that he deserves Jinki's love, let alone the three boys sharing his bed. He waits, until Kibum's snores join Minho's, and slips himself out of bed. With the way Taemin curls against Kibum in his absence, Jonghyun's sure he's not missed.

He pads through the house to find the notebook, because Kibum's a little careless about where he puts it, and finally finds it on the living room table. It's closed, but when Jonghyun steps over to the table and rests his hand against the notebook, that feeling of warmth travels through him and he smiles. There are so many things he'd like to say to this notebook, to Jinki, and he's not sure of how to word any of them.

Slowly, he opens the cover of the notebook and his eyes roam over the several pages that have been added to the notebook. It's not as full as it was before Minho and Taemin came around, but it's getting there. He begins to wonder to himself what the others had been writing into the notebook when he wasn't around to check, but before he can even pick up his pen, words form on the paper.

You have returned. I have waited for you.

Then, guilt riles up in his stomach again. He wants to apologize, because he thought it would be the best for the notebook if he stayed away, but only traces his fingers against the words Jinki sent him.

I'll always come back to you, Jinki.

He finds himself chuckling gently when the words start getting muddy, and when they disappear, Jonghyun waits for the notebook's response.

Are you enjoying the addition of Minho and Taemin in your life?

Jonghyun nods to himself, but remembering that the notebook only responds to written response rather than verbal response, he hurriedly grips the pen in his fingers again. There are many things he could reply with, but his words are written before he can process them.

Of course. You created them for me. I love them.

His words flutter and disappear, and after a moment of hesitation, Jonghyun leans down and presses his lips against the page. The warmth from the notebook is almost human-like, as if his kiss is being reciprocated, but Jonghyun pulls back because there's no way the notebook can kiss back when the notebook isn't even human.

There is no answer following his words, but Jonghyun isn't surprised. The notebook, or whatever it really was, was probably more surprised at the kiss than Jonghyun himself. Jonghyun didn't mind, it gave him time to collect his thoughts and trace the blank page with his fingers again.

He falls asleep there that night, with his face pressed against the open notebook.

 


 

Jonghyun now writes into the notebook every day, and it takes Kibum, Minho and Taemin to drag him away from it. He doesn't mind that he has eye bags, or that the majority of his free time is spent writing rather than with the three boys he had wished for. That notebook, Jinki, had undeniably caught his heart. Jonghyun hates it, but he knows it's too late to back out now.

"What is Jinki, really?" Jonghyun asks one evening. It's his day off, and the four boys are lounding around the living room with a deck of cards. It's a lazy day indoors, because the rain's pretty heavy and there are basins and buckets scattered around to catch drops that find their way in. They had already played cards for three hours, only taking a break when Kibum announces he's hungry. They don't plan on doing anything else, either, or at least until the rain clears up and they can dump the water they collected outside.

The three boys pause, glancing at each other and then to Jonghyun. Jonghyun doesn't miss their 'secretive' glance, and his lips purse together as the three of them look to one another for an answer. Obviously, it isn't an easy question and it'd be best to go to Jinki instead, but the notebook is in his room and he's too lazy to get up and go to it.

"In medieval times, Jinki was known as the best sorcerer in all of the lands; and he went by the name Onew." Kibum had even put his cards down in order to explain Jinki's background, and Jonghyun followed suit. If Kibum's serious about something, you'd better follow along or you'll wake up with permanent marker all over your face.

"He was known for specializing in a kind of magic; the magic of creation. Within moments, he can create anything. You know about this, because we are examples of creation magic."

Jonghuyn nods, and though he's not completely understanding the background of the notebook, he can at least understand the extent of Jinki's powers. It explains why the three of them were made and so quickly. Jonghyun's eyes look over the three of them, and Kibum glances to the others as if to ask if one of them wants to continue.

"His powers were rare, and because of this, rulers of many nations wanted it, but Onew refused. His powers were to be used as he desired, and he wouldn't let anyone decide how his powers were to be used." Minho accepts the challenge easily, because he's pretty damn competitive, and Jonghyun's eyes fall to the taller of the four boys. Minho still has his cards in his hand and is arranging them, but his focus is also on the conversation.

"So, they cursed him and turned him into a notebook." Taemin finished off, and Jonghyun's eyes shift over to Taemin. His hands are in his lap and his eyes are downcast; his cards had already been returned to the table,

"In the form of a notebook, the things people desire of him have to be granted, and he can't do anything about it. He was used many times in history to aid many powerful people. We don't exactly know how, but he was finally brought to you."

"Can't the curse be lifted?" Jonghyun asks, because that's really such a cruel fate for someone who just didn't want to be used. His hands are clenched around his cards now, and some of the cards are even beginning to tear, as the three magical boys glance to one another.

"We don't know the details." Kibum answers, and Jonghyun knows that he doesn't. Kibum only supplies answers when he's certain he can answer them; and anyway, this is a question Jonghyun believes that can only be answered by Jinki.

"You can continue without me." Jonghyun neatly places his cards down and gets off the ground. Forget being lazy, he has questions that demand answers, and it's not like anyone is stopping him anyway.

The notebook is lying innocently on his bed when he arrives, and Jonghyun picks up his pen. He opens the cover of the notebook, but when he starts writing, his lips form a scowl; the pen had run out of ink. He tossed the pen into some corner of the room and shuffled around the room for another pen. When he returned to the bed and the notebook sitting on top of it, his lips ease off the scowl that was there moments earlier and an amused grin is left in its wake.

Are you so eager to speak to me that you are using your fingers rather than ink?

He laughs, and his fingers trace the words that are shown to him; they aren't that significant, considering all the other things Jinki has told him before, but he enjoys the warmth those words radiate. He's about to retort, but he hears Minho cheering from another round he has won, and the conversation he had just been a part of returns to his mind.

Is there a way to undo the curse?

The words don't even flutter, this time. They just disappear, like the words are so startling that they just had to be removed. Jonghyun worries that maybe he's said the wrong thing, but the words that are sent back to him are sent in a hurried, horrified mess.

Why do you know of the curse?

Jonghyun's lips curl into a sad grin. Jinki must have been terrified by the reminder of the curse placed upon his life. It was obvious, because the warmth the book radiated was enough to make his fingers burn as they felt the page. It was almost too hot to write against the paper, but Jonghyun couldn't let that stop him.

I asked to know about you. Is there?

The heat resumed to its normal temperature quickly, and Jonghyun let out a quiet sigh of relief as the words on the page fluttered and disappeared. Jinki was calm now, or at least he was calmer than he had been minutes before.

I am not allowed to answer.

Jonghyun's heart thudded violently against his ribcage. If Jinki wasn't even allowed to save himself by telling Jonghyun of a way to free him, then what could he possibly do? He ran a hand through his hair, tears building shamelessly behind his eyelids. He forced himself to take deep breaths, then, because there was no helping anything if he didn't stay calm, and thought of anything he could do.

Jinki, can you grant me a wish? 

The words fluttered and disappeared, and Jonghyun watched the notebook's slow answer, as if it's confused.

You have told me before that we must discuss anything you want granted.

Jonghyun lifted his free hand to his mouth and bit down on it lightly. He wasn't even sure if this would work, and he kind of felt stupid for hoping it would.

This time we won't discuss it. Just, will you grant me this wish?

Jinki's answer was immediate.

It is my honor.

Before he wrote it down, Jonghyun said it twice in his head. He wanted to make it perfect. It would be the last wish he could ever place onto this notebook if it's successful; and even if it isn't, he's sure his relationship with Jinki will change.

I wish for you the curse to be undone, Jinki.

There was no answer. Not like an answer would have been necessary by that point. As soon as Jonghyun finished the sentence, the book had started to glow and it was so hot that Jonghyun actually threw it onto the ground. He was surprised the carpet didn't burn, but his focus wasn't on the book for long.

A young male, no older than himself appeared before him, and Jonghyun knew immediately that this was Jinki. He was in typical 'sorcerer' garb and he had fallen to the ground with a loud thud, but Jinki's handsome, round face was there in front of him.

Jonghyun would have said something, but it was then that Kibum slammed the door open with both Minho and Taemin behind him.

 


 

Their family was complete, now that Jinki had become a part of it. It was kind of obvious, since the three beings Jinki created latched themselves onto him the moment they saw him in Jonghyun's bedroom. Jinki was already on the ground, so it was more like a pile, and Jonghyun could only sit back and watch in astonishment, envy, and love.

"We felt a surge of magic and came to check it out." Taemin says excitedly, and his arms are wrapped tightly around Jinki's waist. Kibum and Minho are in similar positions and Jinki's lips curve into such a fond smile that Jonghyun thanks himself for freeing him.

"Who knew you had it in you, hyung!" Minho's voice is teasing and cheerful, and both Jonghyun and Jinki cheer as he speaks. Minho's a little weird, but so are the rest of them and that's perfectly fine.

Jonghyun can understand why they're all so excited to see Jinki physically. Jinki did create them, after all, so it only makes sense that they want to spend as much time as they can with him now that they're all together. Jinki seems to feel the same way, too, because there are tears trailing down his face as he hugs the three of them back.

Finally, after what seems to be an hour passes, Kibum pulls himself off of Jinki and pounces onto Jonghyun instead. Jonghyun is sitting up on the bed when this happens and ends up laying flat ontop of his bed with a sobbing Kibum pressed against him. Jonghyun doesn't mind that his bedsheets and his cloathes are getting soaked through; Kibum's being a younger brother right now.

"Thank you so much, hyung."

Kibum's sobs turn to sniffles after a few minutes of being held, and when he pulls back, his eyes are red and puffy. Part of Jonghyun wants to , but Kibum glares up at him as if to dare him to do such an act.

"Hyung must be hungry, right? I'll go make you something to eat." 

Jonghyun can't tell if he's the one Kibum's addressing or if it's Jinki, but Kibum has already stumbled out of the room pulling both Minho and Taemin behind him. Jonghyun wonders why, considering how eager they had just been to be with Jinki, but his eyes make their way to Jinki and he gets it.

"How does it feel?" Jonghyun asks quietly, and he watches as Jinki looks around himself, then down to his clothes, and back to Jonghyun. Jinki looks a little perplexed, and there's a loving smile on his face when he looks back to Jonghyun.

"I spent so much time in darkness that being in the light is something I will need to get used to." Jinki's voice is beautiful, and Jonghyun finds himself swallowing a thick lump. He doesn't get what Jinki's saying, of course, but the way his eyes light up as he speaks is enough for Jonghyun to understand just how thankful Jinki is right now.

"It was like I was all alone in a dark room. Words kept appearing to me, but I could do nothing but answer and give up my powers when necessary." Jinki continues explaining, when Jonghyun doesn't seem to understand him at all.

Jonghyun slowly slips down from the bed to where Jinki is on the ground and crawls over to him. Jinki is silent as he watches, and only smiles when Jonghyun lifts a tentative hand to his cheek.

"You're not there anymore, Jinki. You won't be there every again." Jonghyun assures him, and the twinkle in Jinki's eyes says that he knows. Slowly, Jinki lifts one of his hands and his fingers run through Jonghyun's hair, and Jonghyun loves the attention he's being given.

Jinki's hand rests at the back of his neck, and Jonghyun's free arm wraps itself around Jinki's waist, and he pulls Jinki to him in a hug so tight that Jonghyun's worried for a moment that he's hurt Jinki. Jinki, however, returns his hug and is sobbing against him. Jonghyun feels guilty that someone as precious as Jinki was forced to do what he had been doing for so long.

"Thank you, Jonghyun. You do not understand how much gratitude I have for you." Jinki's words are muffled by Jonghyun's shirt, but Jonghyun can hear them perfectly well.

Maybe Jonghyun can't understand it in accordance to Jinki's thoughts and memories, but Jonghyun knows how happy three other boys are. Jonghyun knows how happy he is, because Jinki's granted wishes he didn't even know he had by just being there with him.

"I don't know why exactly you came to me. I don't know what makes me so special that it's my wishes you decided to grant. I don't see anything in me that you apparently do and I'm sorry if that upsets you, but I'm so damn grateful to have you in my life. Jinki, you are every wish I ever had rolled in to one." Jonghyun pulls himself back and brings his hands to cup Jinki's face. 

Jinki's eyes were full of love, and for a moment, Jonghyun thought he was going to choke as they gazed at each other. There was no reason for Jinki to stay with him, now that he had his freedom, but Jonghyun hoped he would and just because Jonghyun loved him too much to let him go.

A moment later, Jonghyun had leaned over and pressed his lips against Jinki's. It reminded him a lot of the kiss he had pressed against the notebook that time, but the feeling of Jinki's lips against his own is a feeling nothing can beat. Jinki's response is immediate and it's as if Jonghyun's the air he was waiting for all after all those years of isolation.

"I love you, Jinki."

Jonghyun's the first to pull back, because he wants to see Jinki's expression as he confesses, but their foreheads are pressed together and Jinki's cheeks are painted red as he panted; Jonghyun knows he's not any better.

His confession causes for Jinki to start crying, and Jonghyun feels panic rise in his heart for a moment before he remembers all the times he had seen the muddy words reflected back at him through the notebook. He might be in a human form now, but Jinki was still Jinki.

"I love you too."

It's not like he needed to say it, though, because Jinki's expression and the way his arms fell to Jonghyun's waist and pulled him closer was answer enough. Jinki pulled Jonghyun back for another kiss, one that had Jonghyun chuckling against his lips for two reasons; the first was the fact that Jinki was kissing him.

The second reason was because of the gasps coming from the other side of the door. He should have seen it coming, since the three of them were nosy brats. Jinki's lips curled into a grin against his own, and Jonghyun could tell Jinki had caught them as well. When Jonghyun pulled back, he used the pads of his thumbs to wipe away Jinki's tears, and Jinki's gentle smile reminded him of the warmth that came from the notebook.

His eyes slid past Jinki then, finding the notebook where Jonghyun had tossed it onto the ground. It was just a beat up notebook now, old and falling apart, but it was what caused Jonghyun's life to flip around so suddenly. Who could have imagined that a notebook he found outside while coming home from school in the rain would hold so much power that it would grant him a family? Now Jonghyun has himself a new brother, two best friends, and the person that gave them all to him. 

Jonghyun's no longer the definition of an average student, and no one can claim otherwise.