Chapter 7

Take on me // Take me on

 

Taecyeon hadn’t planned it, but his hands were full again when he entered the coffee shop a little before noon. He had been checking the stock market again; he hadn’t paid as much attention as he should to it in the last couple of weeks and it was time to get back in the game. His business was doing well, but it was not just that; there were investments he could make and he could select what to buy and what to sell in the afternoon, while real-time deals were happening. That was the best time to do that.

Besides the tablet in one hand, he had his phone in his pocket-- that was, until it started ringing just before he pushed the door to let himself in. He checked who it was and grinned; he hadn’t talked to Byunghee in a while.

“Hey there,” he greeted, getting in line to order. He didn’t spot Junho as he looked behind the counter; the only familiar faces were those of the two baristas that usually worked in the mornings there, Shin Dongwoo and Cha Sunwoo. Taecyeon didn’t know the guy who was serving people at their tables.

“So, this is still your number,” Byunghee said, his voice serious. “Our little Joon still wants to know if you’re attending the event. It’s this Saturday.”

Taecyeon was about to ask what event that was, and then he remembered the message he had gotten while he was in Jeju. He hadn’t answered that, and he had obviously forgotten about it. He wasn’t as close to Joon as he was with Byunghee, but Joon was a regular at the karaoke bar and a famous actor, so he should have been more careful. He heard Byunghee talking to somebody else on the other end of the line before he finally spoke, after checking his schedule on the tablet still in his hands, “I’m going. What’s the attire?”

“Formal. You can bring someone with you. The guys are all gonna be there, by the way, we wanna hang out later. Minjunnie has already confirmed his presence.”

“Of course,” Taecyeon chuckled; Minjun was not the type to miss a party, and he was friends with many of Byunghee’s own friends. He ended the call a little later, and was immediately distracted by a voice behind the counter.

“Look who’s back,” Cha was working as the cashier that day, and he looked both excited and amused to be looking at Taecyeon, who tried not to frown at him. “Can I take your order, sir?”

Taecyeon sighed, pocketing his phone. He hadn’t paid attention to the menu on the wall and he had no idea what he wanted for lunch. He scanned it quickly before he answered, aware of the few people waiting behind him. “I’ll have two bibimbap wraps and one cold misutgaru, tall. I’m eating here.”

The barista nodded as he typed away, eyes on the small screen to his right. “Just take this to your table, sir,” he handed Taecyeon a plastic sign with a number on it, and turned to the next customer in line. It seemed Junho had been adding features to the coffee shop, such as the sign and one waiter, though the latter was not always the same. Maybe Junho had really been training someone new when Taecyeon first started coming to the coffee shop.


x


”Where are you?”

Taecyeon took a bite of his second wrap after sending the message, and dropped the phone on the table to keep eating. He was hungry, the food was delicious and the cold misutgaru was great for the hot summer weather. He was wearing just a plain white shirt today, no suit or tie since he was not meeting any clients or suppliers, but he had still suffered under the sun in the few moments he had been outside. After meeting Wooyoung, he had visited a few décor stores to look for new things that would suit the reformed Okcastra in Jeju. He had soon realized he should have brought Wooyoung along, cursed himself for the distraction and decided to come to the coffee shop at once.

The subject of his thoughts replied a little after he finished eating, though it was not through a text.

“This is on the house, sir,” came the voice of the waiter, whose nametag said Gong. Taecyeon was unsettled when he looked up; he was certain he didn’t know this guy, but his face still looked strangely familiar now that he was close.

“Uh, thanks,” he said. Only then he saw the plate with a small bite of lemon pie on it, and the note tucked under it.

Taec to table 25.

The grin that took over his face was huge and Taecyeon knew it, but the waiter had already withdrawn and he didn’t need to care about who saw it anyway. He just wanted to meet Junho, so he followed the instructions given to him.

The path that led to the backyard was even more beautiful under the midday sunlight. The leaves seemed to shine as the plants took in the energy from the sun, adding new shades of green to the scenery that made Taecyeon want to stop and appreciate the sight. He didn’t usually care that much for these things, but it was Junho’s work, and that only gave him one more reason to stall as he took in the colorful blossoms growing in patches between the green plants. He didn’t hear any steps ahead of him, but he did feel someone staring, and he took his time before he turned to the Special Events area.

The door to the small glass house was open and Junho stood there, his hair glowing where the sunlight caught him, his eyes slitted as he fought off the strength of the rays on his face. Taecyeon was not stalling anymore, but he found himself glued to the spot as he looked at Junho, this handsome, intriguing, often annoying but still attractive man. Junho made him feel nervous, dumbstruck, groundless, but he also compelled him to move forward, to fight, to face the constant challenge. The thrill was as constant as the warmth in his chest, and Taecyeon knew that despite all his stupid fears he still wanted to try and make this work.

“Hi,” he said, taking the few steps that were missing, though Junho moved back just as he got closer, maybe to let him in the house.

“Hi,” Junho echoed, his ears tinged with a shade of pink that was not just from staying in the sun. He indicated the table where there was a plate just like the one that Taecyeon was holding, a jar of what looked like green tea frappe and a small porcelain bowl with chantilly. “You can leave your things there.”

It was a suggestion that Taecyeon accepted as it freed his hands of the plate, the tablet and also the phone that he took out of his pocket. Junho’s eyes didn’t waver but he looked pleased, and they were both still on their feet when he said, so casually it only worked to disconcert Taecyeon faster,

“So... babe?”

Taecyeon opened his mouth but failed to come up with a response before he had to shut it again. But Junho was smiling, and even if that confused him at first, it had to be a good sign, right? Taecyeon could have rehearsed any speeches to explain his slip the previous night, but Junho would always disarm him with just a look, a word, or the way his eyes were pinning Taecyeon to the ground as effectively as the curve of his tempting mouth.

“You...” Taecyeon swallowed, his own lips tugging up despite his embarrassment. “You don’t mind that?”

Junho blinked slowly, as if he hadn’t been expecting that question. He shook his head once, a resolute no that had Taecyeon exhaling, though he was not entirely soothed yet. There was this sparkle in Junho’s eyes that kept him alert, slightly tense when Junho approached him.

“I’m not a cat that you need to be afraid of,” Junho mumbled, stopping right in front of him, looking very much like a feline ready to strike in spite of his words.

Taecyeon wanted to tell him-- that it was not really his fault, not entirely, but Junho made him nervous, unsure of what to do, and Taecyeon was not used to that, all that lack of confidence and assurance. He was not usually like this, and he felt like any mistake on his part might set Junho off, and then this would all be over before it really started.

He knew he was overthinking and Junho had proved more than once that he was not gonna run away that easily, that Taecyeon could be himself and it would be okay. Probably. As long as he kept trying, as long as they were given the chance to know each other better.

He nearly jumped when Junho touched one of his arms. He had crossed them without realizing, and Junho’s fingers were surprisingly warm as they slid closer to the bend, until Taecyeon understood he should uncross them. He felt like he was moving as slowly as Junho, whose eyes went from where his own hand was to meet Taecyeon’s.

“You are nervous,” Junho’s voice was low and it sounded like he was merely thinking out loud. His drooping eyelids hid most emotions from Taecyeon’s searching gaze, but he saw what looked like wonderment there, something turned to a teasing undertone even as he whispered, “You’re not the only one.”

Taecyeon let out a huge chunk of air even as his muscles contracted under Junho’s light touch. Junho might be intimidating, he might be difficult to read, but he was human. Taecyeon felt that warmth spreading in his chest again as if lit up by the fingers going up his biceps, so soft and tentative they seemed to be showing the truth in Junho’s words.

“It’s not... it’s not you I’m scared of, not really...” Taecyeon looked down, turning his hand up so that he could brush it under Junho’s elbow, hearing the change in his breathing. “It’s what you make me want to do, what I sometimes think that you want as well...”

Junho’s lips lifted briefly at that, his eyes following Taecyeon’s free hand as it came to rest on his side. “I did say I want this too, remember?”

Taecyeon stared at him, and Junho’s eyes were as steady as his voice. Yes, they had talked about this, but again, not really-- Taecyeon was sick of all these doubts, but still he dreaded the thought of crossing the line. Yet there was Junho biting at the corner of his own mouth in what could be the same kind of hesitance, his words and movements giving all the positive signs that Taecyeon needed.

And Junho was doing more than that, he was leading him, his fingers now curling around Taecyeon’s shirt, making his skin burn underneath, yearning for more. “Taec...”

Taecyeon held his breath. He didn’t know what to expect, but surely Junho would add something to that-- another play off his name, anything that might break the mood. But there was nothing else, just Junho’s piercing stare giving in to the flutter of thin eyelashes, lips that parted as they met one another. There was a sigh, barely closed eyes before Junho drew back, but Taecyeon pulled him in immediately. They kissed until Junho was pressed against him, hands grabbing at Taecyeon’s shoulder as Junho demonstrated just how much he wanted this, how much he welcomed Taecyeon’s fingers running up his sides and arms to caress his neck.


x


Junho was not wearing an apron that day, Taecyeon noticed later, when they were sitting at the table to enjoy the bites of lemon pie and the green tea frappe. He was glad Junho had given him a second chance to try the pie from the night before, and equally glad about the refreshing drink Junho had also prepared for them. When he asked about the apron, Junho said he had taken it off to have lunch by himself in the backyard. That way, customers who might visit the glass house wouldn’t bother him with possible orders or anything. His employees had the same privilege if they decided to eat at the coffee shop during their breaks.

“I thought you were coming earlier,” Junho commented while he added a swirl of chantilly to his second cup of frappe; he offered to do the same for Taecyeon, but he declined. “But I also thought you might try to avoid me again,” he lifted an eyebrow, daring Taecyeon to deny the implication.

Taecyeon checked a sigh; he shook his head at himself for all the foolishness that he hoped had been quelled. He munched at his bit of pie in silence, but the smile was never leaving his lips when he looked at Junho. “Babe,” he called, just because he felt like he could do it now.

Junho paused, his skin warming up even as he pretended it was nothing. He took a sip of his drink and at his lips to get rid of any chantilly that might have remained there, and only then he returned Taecyeon’s gaze, knowing very well that Taecyeon had been watching him.

He wanted to reach across the table and touch Junho’s hand, but his phone rang and he was fast to answer it. Too fast, if Junho’s narrowed eyes were any indication of that. “Hello?”

What Taecyeon was not fast enough to act on, simply because he was not expecting it, was Junho’s hand coming to fetch the phone from his grasp as he got up and away from the table. “I’m sorry, but Taecyeonnie is busy right now, if you’d please call when he’s not with his boyfriend anymore?”

Taecyeon gaped at Junho’s back. He didn’t get up only because he had checked the name on the screen before he picked up the call, and he was curious to know just how Junho would react once he found out who it was as well.

It wasn’t long before Junho’s reddening neck gave in his embarrassment. Taecyeon pursed his lips so that he wouldn’t laugh; he got up and accepted his phone back while Junho covered his mouth, mortified at his own mistake.

“Uh, mom?” Taecyeon braced himself, too, in case his mother had gotten angry at any of the things Junho had said. His mom sounded calm though, as she asked if that had been some sort of practical joke or if what she had heard was right. Taecyeon thought Junho had just been joking, but both for the fun and to make sure of what he would say to his mother, he covered the phone and whispered, very softly so that only Junho would hear, “Are we dating?”

Junho punched at his shoulder.

“Yes, mom, he’s my boyfriend,” Taecyeon took a step back so that Junho wouldn’t hit him again. “I’m sorry you had to find out about him like this, but I promise you he’s actually very nice and polite, you’d love him.”

Junho was shaking his head at him and mouthing curses that Taecyeon just smiled at while he kept talking to his mom. It amused him that Junho’s attempt at a joke had backfired like that, though Taecyeon also knew that once he actually went to see his parents he would have to face something he had been dreading for a long time now. It would be much harder to handle that than it had been to deal with what he was beginning to feel for Junho. However, the fact that he had overcome that had also given him the push he needed to finally express a part of himself that his family would have to understand now, too.

“Is dad okay?” Taecyeon’s face eased into a smile as his mother’s voice perked up; she sounded really cheerful as she told him they had gone for a walk that morning, and that his father had been the one who suggested it. “That’s great, mom,” Taecyeon hoped his sigh was inaudible; he swallowed over a lump in his throat as relief washed through him. “Yeah, of course I’ll keep coming over to see you. Tonight? Sure. See if you can get the old man to cook for us,” he joked, loving the way his mother giggled at the idea. “Mom, just ask him what he wants to eat and I’ll make dinner, okay?” He looked at Junho, a question at the tip of his tongue, but the other was still shaking his head at any and all things that Taecyeon might say. “No, mom, that will have to be another day. One thing at a time, right? No, Jihyen doesn’t-- Mom, we’ll talk about this later. Promise. Seven p.m., I’ll be there. Don’t forget to text me the ingredients. Bye.”

Taecyeon turned off his phone before he put it on the table this time. He took a deep breath before he looked around for Junho, who had moved to stare off the glassy walls into the backyard. Taecyeon didn’t waste his time and walked to his side, poking at Junho’s arm with his elbow.

“So... you’re my boyfriend now?” he made it sound more like a statement than a question on purpose. Junho looked sideways at him, but instead of a reprimand there was what looked like an apology there.

“I didn’t just out you to your parents, right?”

And Taecyeon understood why Junho had nearly overreacted, why he himself should have intervened sooner. Maybe he shouldn’t have answered the phone in the first place, but he only did because it was his mom. Taecyeon knew one of the things that had caused some kind of grudge between them was the fact that he was always on the phone when he should be paying attention to his surroundings, to the people around him...and Junho had probably assumed that was some call related to work, which meant he had surely been annoyed that Taecyeon was answering it when they were supposed to have that moment for themselves. He understood all that, but what was done couldn’t be undone; Taecyeon had learned his lesson and now Junho had had an unexpected one.

“They know, but at the same time, they don’t,” Taecyeon didn’t shrug because he was not the same from years ago, when he had been in college abroad, alone but part of a team and a class and a dorm, discovering himself as he fell for one of his colleagues. They hadn’t dated only because they didn’t have a name for it, but things happened, and Taecyeon wanted them to keep happening. But he went back home, changed, or rather he just stopped ignoring what had always been there. He couldn’t shrug this off anymore. “I’ve tried talking about it, but...” he trailed off, unaware of the frown on his face until Junho touched his hand and he felt suddenly lighter.

“I know,” Junho squeezed his fingers, and Taecyeon saw in his eyes that he did, that he was not just trying to comfort him. It shouldn’t be surprising; Junho had been the only son to a single mother whose other child had dated Minjun before Minjun himself knew better. “Now I get why you were so bad at flirting.”

Junho was only half joking, Taecyeon could tell for once, but he still dropped Junho’s hand in mock offense. “I was not flirting-- I mean, not for those first few days when you got under my skin,” he finished lamely, and rolled his eyes much like Junho would do when the other smirked at him.

“You were stupefied,” Junho sibilated that like one would cast a spell. Taecyeon chuckled, and that was all he needed to make Junho gloat.

Taecyeon kissed him briefly, gently, ruffling his hair when Junho closed his eyes to wait for another kiss. “My boyfriend’s a little brat,” he mumbled against his lips, and Junho smacked his shoulder just as their lips met, laughter bubbling through the kiss, humming sounds giving way to a quickened breath and a muffled moan.

“I’m not...your boyfriend...yet,” Junho said in between kisses, which only stopped because Taecyeon finally registered the words.

“Why not?” he asked, his hands on Junho’s back, keeping him close, Junho’s warmth mixing with his own. He was relishing this, and if it were up to him he didn’t want them to stop any time soon.

“I can’t trust you until you meet my cats,” Junho sounded like he was just teasing Taecyeon, but the way he bit into his mouth let the other know this was important to him.

Taecyeon sighed. “Do I have to ask for their blessings?”

Junho shook his head, trying to regain his coolness even though his own hands were still entangled in Taecyeon’s hair. “I just want to make sure you won’t try to get rid of them.”

“I wouldn’t do that,” Taecyeon said, and he meant it. “I can’t guarantee that I’ll like them, but I won’t lie to you about that, and I can at least try to tolerate their presence.”

“Tolerate their presence...?” Junho scoffed, his fingers tugging at the locks on the base of his scalp. Taecyeon closed his eyes for a second, wanting nothing more than to kiss Junho again and show him how much he had liked that even if Junho had meant it as something else. But he sighed, leaned his forehead on Junho’s and nodded his surrender.

“Okay, okay, I’ll do it. When do I have to-- I mean, when will I have the pleasure of being introduced to your lovely babies?”

Junho tried to stifle a laugh, but it came out as a snort that had Taecyeon smiling at him. “I have to prepare them first. Cut off their claws so that they won’t tear you to pieces.”

“Uh huh...” Taecyeon’s own laugh turned to a hum as he pressed their mouths together. “I thought you said they would ignore my presence...”

Junho seemed to be considering that, and he accepted Taecyeon’s next peck on the lips with a smile of his own. “I’m not sure how they’ll react if they see what you’re doing to their daddy.”

Taecyeon laughed out loud, and it was only shortened because Junho silenced him through another kiss. “I’ll try to keep my hands off you,” he said, a promise he was not sure he could keep.