be brave

i just had to

Byulyi sighs, watching as another couple leaves the shop.  She hasn’t sold a single drink, just box upon box of chocolates, shaped like hearts, filled with strawberry jam.

It’s been a busy day, Valentine’s Day is always good to her when it comes in the form of a bonus pay check.  But as she watches the millionth couple stroll past the window of the shop she can’t help but feel dejected, putting her elbows over the glass counter, leaning her head, hair cascading over half her face.

The cold evening slows business for a bit, Byulyi starts restocking for the late rush, the frantic and panicking significant others trying to find any gift for their valentines.

The chime over their door rings softly, Byulyi looks up from where she’s rearranging chocolates in the glass display.

She smiles when she recognizes the girl.  Wiping her hands on her apron as she goes behind the cash register.

“Wheein-ssi,” she says, inputting the usual order of an extra sweet medium hot white chocolate drink, “have you gotten plenty of chocolates today?”

There’s a blush spreading down Wheein’s neck.  Byulyi’s hand freezes from where she’s reached for a paper cup.  She’s never seen Wheein act like this before, is used to her loud and outgoing side.

“Are you ok, Wheein-ssi?” she asks softly, not wanting to draw attention if there’s some sort of problem.

“I’ve got you these!” Wheein’s voice goes up in volume, a burst of energy as she forward a box of chocolate covered strawberries, tied with red ribbons.  Byulyi looks at the way the lights glint off the transparent box, at the heart sprinkles all over the strawberries, at Wheein’s pink face.

She can’t help the grin that appears on her lips when she takes the gift, putting it on the counter, hands going back up to hold to Wheein’s trembling ones.  

“Is part of the gift letting me feed them to you?” Byulyi leans closer, whispers, “because then I wholeheartedly accept.