Part I

Pocket-size Happiness

AN: HAPPY VALENTINES DAY GUYS! And how will this V day be complete without a sweet dosage of Eunhae:) Happy Reading ^^

The next part will be posted tomorrow and the last one day after :D


 

“No, don’t run away from me you brat. Come right here.”

 

A shrill voice boomed through the usually eerie corridors, forcing Hyukjae to look up from his stack of papers. He had taken refuge in an empty classroom in a far corner of the remotely huge school, just to save his sanity from the numerous questions that would have been thrown at him back in the staff room.

Hyukjae still does not know why in the name of lord did he let slip that he had a date yesterday. Heechul was up at his throat to tell him everything in detail over the phone, so he did not wish to see him in person as long as he could, which he knows won’t be that long. The Language teacher has his eyes and ears everywhere.

Hyukjae has a total of 120 papers to correct. All thanks to his fellow Environmental Studies teacher and best friend Choi Siwon, who was on a month long location to god knows where, while dumping all his classes on poor him. It is a secret Hyuk, that brat had said last week before he flew off, all clad in his Guccis and Valentinos. Being from the family of school trustees had its own perks. Choi Siwon took up the post just as an experiment, or you know as a leisure activity, as he not so smugly calls it, but weeks into his job and bam! Siwon was suddenly the most sought after teacher amongst the army of 10-15-year-olds. His sudden absence created mayhem in his classes and Hyukjae literally had to shout at the top of his voice to get his lesson heard over the constant whispers and collective sighs.

Teaching is fun, but teaching a bunch of puppy-love stricken mass isn’t.

Sadly, this job didn’t come as easily to him as he could have dreamt off. Interviews were dragged on for months, mock tests, lectures and what not. Apparently, the school was in dire need of Environmental Studies staff, but even then they didn’t let him get in easy and fine. Multiple eyebrows were raised seeing his University major and several years gap. Hyukjae had a hard time convincing them that he was eager teaching middle-schoolers the mysteries of Environmental science. Fortunately for him, the Head Chancellor was a kind woman who let him take mock lectures, and his quick pick-up skills and sharp brain saved him from getting rejected yet again.

Past year was tough enough.

Hyukjae could have easily gotten a job as a dance instructor anywhere seeing his top grades at college, but he needed money.Good money to pay off his monthly rent and the additional mouth that he had to feed, back at home. So, he didn’t think twice before giving up on his dream.

 

He was halfway through his correction work when he heard the sudden yelling.

Tip of the red ball-point pen Hyukjae was using currently hung in the air as the owner looked over his rimmed glasses, a frown marking its place on his naturally pale face. He wanted peace after a long night and comparatively cranky morning.

Hyukjae got up from his desk; all set to walk and lock the door, hoping it would muffle the hustle-bustle in the corridor when a small head of curls popped in.  He watched curiously as the head moved in a round before looking at him. Soft brown eyes met darker ones and soon a body made its way through the door.

Hyukjae realised that he was standing face to face with a boy, an unfamiliar looking boy that looked barely over three. He had full lips and chubby cheeks and an oh-so-adorable dotted bow tie nicely tied over his white shirt, denim shorts with red suspenders.

That amused him, it was a middle-school, what would a kindergartner have a purpose here?

Chuckling, Hyukjae crouched down to the boy’s level, sensing the equally curious eyes.

“Hello” He offered sweetly, flashing his rare weapon to the kid; a smile he rarely passed around.

The kid kept his mum as he tilted his head to his left, his curls jiggling cutely with the action.

Hyukjae was more than surprised when a stubby finger poked his cheek, once, twice. It was as if the boy was judging him, seeing whether he was real, before dropping his hand altogether and breaking into a fit of giggles.

Hyukjae was busy pondering over what was funny to make this boy laugh this loud when the door got burst open. A figure hurried in.

Stooped, Hyukjae could only see a fraction of the intruder’s denim and converse shoes as the kid was behind him in a swift move.

Straightening himself, he was just in time to see the person bow in full respect before getting up and looking at Hyukjae a bit hesitantly.

This man looked too young, maybe in last year of high school or a freshman in college, with a shot yet toned stature and boyish charms. His hair was wavy and shoulder length. Soft brown mop that well suited his tanned face.

Crossing his hands up at his front, the intruder spoke in a deep yet polite tone, “I’m really sorry for being a bother, sir,” and bowed again.

Quickly getting up he looked over Hyukjae’s shoulder where the kid was currently hidden, tightly clutching Hyukjae's coat. “I have to get him back to the car, but he is not listening to me.” Then he switched his tone to a sterner one, “Henry, here. Come. Now.”

Hyukjae let out a breathy laugh seeing the man’s broken English, enjoying the sudden pinking of the man’s tanned face. Behind him, the said kid Henry attached himself to Hyukjae's trousers, tighter than earlier.

The teacher turned around so that he was face to face with the stubborn kid and ruffled his curls. The kid looked at him with deep interest. Grabbing the chance, Hyukjae plucked the boy from the ground, placing him gently on his right hip. The boy's hands immediately went around his neck to save himself from falling.

“Henry. You should listen to him, right. Go home, it is breakfast time.”

The mention of food most definitely peaked Henry’s interest as he started wiggling in Hyukjae’s hold, nodding furiously in understanding. With the last ruffle to his soft hair, he let the boy down and looked at the man in front. The intruder looked intrigued, mouth agape before coming to his senses and taking a quick hold of the kid’s wrist. Henry was jumping in his place, clapping his hands in utter excitement.

Yayy!! Cupcake, Cupcake. Hae, I want Cupcake.”

The man passed a swift nod to the kid before bowing again and left the room hastily.

 

Hyukjae’s heaved a long sigh. He went back to his desk and resuming his work. He still had around 53 papers to check before his first class at 10:30. He could think about English speaking kids and flustered pretty boys later on.

 

***********************

Hyukjae’s was leaving the school premises three days later when he saw Henry again.   

He had to take a half day owing to grave circumstances at home and currently, he had been rushing out the school gate when he felt a sudden force attacking his legs. Henry being too small and stubby could only reach his knee in his attempt to hug the man.

All tension that had riled up in him evaporated into thin air seeing the big grin on the kid’s fac. He couldn’t help but pick him in his arms. He could care less about his crumpled suit and crooked tie and most probable foot marks on his slacks.

Henry was wearing an angry bird summer-cap today with his brown curls escaping here and there, red polo that looked expensive and white shorts. He looked so adorable that Hyukjae just wanted to squish him and pinch his cheeks, so he did. The kid wrinkled his nose for a brief moment before poking Hyukjae on the nose. Then the mischievous one made a grabby had at his glasses.

Mister, I want it,” Henry whined as Hyukjae pushed his head away from the kid’s reach. His glass was pretty important to him, being the only one he owned and heck, making a new one would take days.

No, Henry.” A familiar voice could be heard from a distance as the man from earlier came running at their location. His long hair was sweaty from the run and tied loosely in a half ponytail. He had beige Bermuda shorts on and a fitted white t-shirt paired with summer floaters. In an attempt to even his breath intake, he crouched with both his hands on his knees as soon as he halted in front of them.

“Aish...Really...This kid is making me go crazy.” He rambled between pants, voice thick with an accent.

Was he speaking in a south dialect? Satoori? Born and brought up in Seoul, Hyukjae was hardly aware of different dialects but this one he could bet he had heard somewhere. Where? He couldn’t exactly place. So, in his confusion, he spoke without thinking.

“Are you from Daegu?”

As soon as the question left his mouth, he cursed himself mentally for being so intrusive and personal with a man that he had met only once, not paying attention to the kid in arm who started to pat him on the cheek.

The man looked at him quizzically before letting out a loud boyish laugh tilting his head back, his tiger teeth making an appearance.

“I’m sorry if it was too personal.” Hyukjae offered; face red with embarrassment, unconsciously holding Henry tightly in his embrace.

“No, no...Nothing personal,” the man swatted his hands in the air and tried controlling his laugh, “I had long before thought that I left my accent back at my hometown. But I guess, I didn’t exactly leave it there. To answer your question, no, I’m from Mokpo.” The man looked at him with his doe eyes and a  pretty smile rendering his young face.

Well, that explained his tan and muscles. But..

“What are you doing here then?” Hyukjae enquired, shifting Henry to his other hip. The kid looked busy playing with his tie.

“As you can see, I’m stuck with this brat here, who never listens to me. Well, he actually can’t. He only understands English and you must have seen how great I’m with the language.” He shrugged looking venomously at the kid in Hyukjae’s lap who ignored him fully. “Henry’s sister studies here, Suzy and he oh-so-beautifully nags and practically whines to let him participate in the picking and dropping off his beloved sister, who for god’s grace knows a little bit of Hangul, thus saving my .”

Hyukjae could not help but let out an amused chuckle at the man’s tone. He was funny.

Somehow, Henry seemed to understand the man as well as he was sticking out his tongue at his direction, the other mimicking his action.  It was very cute to see them interacting like that. So Hyukjae watched them pulling faces at each other for several minutes before another question totally hammered his mind.

“You are in high school?” He queried breaking the man’s concentration from the kid’s face.

“Nah, didn’t clear it. How do you think I’m so bad at languages mister......?”

“Lee Hyukjae.” Hyukjae passed on the name quickly.

“Great, I’m Donghae. Mr Lee. It’s quite late to say that seeing we have already met twice, but nice to meet you, sir.” Donghae bowed ninety degrees causing Hyukjae to nod in reply as he had a kid perched on his lap busy with god knows what.

“How old are you, Donghae?”

“I’m 18, sir.”

“Good. So, you and Henry?”

“I’m his daytime caretaker sir. Actually, morning and afternoon caretaker as Mister and Missus Lau are quite busy with their work most of the times. I sometimes take night shifts as well sir, but those are rare as I have other jobs too.” Donghae was polite but he did speak a lot, which was interesting in a way that Hyukjae could not place a finger at.

“Other jobs?” Hyukjae pried, mentally asking the boy to keep on speaking. There was something in his tone that made Hyukjae wanting more and more of it. Soothing? Peaceful? Beautiful?

“Yeah. I work as a waiter at a restaurant downtown, occasionally taking up other babysitting duties as well.” Thankfully, Donghae didn’t look like he minded sharing things with him, but he could have been hiding his annoyance. Who knows? So, Hyukjae let that rest, quickly turning to Henry.

“Henry, go back home. Uncle promises he will meet you tomorrow, maybe even get you a candy if you behave properly with Donghae.”

That did the trick as the kid’s eyes gleamed with happiness. Kids and their love for food and candies.

Henry was quick to jump off his lap into Donghae’s giggling all the while. He watched in content as they both turned towards the school seeing a bunch of kids coming out of the school, signalling end of school day. Donghae was flicking the kid’s forehead repetitively as Henry kept on kicking his chest, breaking only after a long haired girl approached them and hugged Donghae’s middle. They quickly made way to a coarsely parked Sedan and Henry waved him a goodbye. Smiling, Hyukjae waved him back as he saw them speeding up towards the street.

He had a stupid grin on all the way to train station and back home in contrast with the long night that awaited him.