One Step Ahead

Talking About Unfairness

Two

-One Step Ahead

 

Jongin rubs at his eyes when he walks into their living room near noon. He is glad that they are granted two days off for the new year because he feels like he needs more rest.

 

Practicing acting isn't as easy as he thinks, given that he is extra tired for having spent three hours working over his script with Kyungsoo the previous night. Kyungsoo was kind enough to assist him in the field and was also patient enough to guide him through the scenes multiple times. When the older explained the character's emotions carefully and demonstrated for him, Jongin knew immediately that he should be more appreciative of his bandmate.

 

He mentally congrats himself for coming up with the idea of getting closer to Kyungsoo through acting. Step one, success!

 

He lies down on the couch and idly turns on the TV, ignoring the sound of Joonmyun complaining about Sehun hogging the blanket all to himself at night. The show goes into commercials, and Jongin is almost scared out of his wits when he feels a hand creeping up his leg. He looks down, and Baekhyun's face comes into view.

 

"What are you doing? Don't do that!"

 

Baekhyun grimaces. "I still think I deserve more respect."

 

"Rescpect is earned." Jongin mutters under his breath. However, Baekhyun catches his words.

 

"Exactly. Very well said." He slips into the space next to the younger, "Respect is earned. That's why I'm here to offer you my first piece of advice for pursuing our Soo."

 

"Hmm."

 

"Come on! Be more enthusiastic! You should be happy that I'm doing this for you."

 

"Okay." Jongin flashes Baekhyun a strained smile. "What do you have in mind?"

 

Baekhyun appears to be delighted that he got a response and grinned back at Jongin. "You have that drama... 'Choco Bank', yes? So I thought maybe you can go to Soo and tell him you need suggestions from him. Then you two can spend more time together, you know, talking and stuff."

 

Jongin sits back and eyes Baekhyun amusedly. "How did you think of this?"

 

"Se- I mean, I brainstormed two whole nights and came up with this. Brilliant, no?"

 

"But how would you assume it'll work?"

 

The older of the two shakes his head. "You're so simple-minded, Jongin-a. Of course Soo will agree to help, then you'd get your chance to get on his good side."

 

Jongin nods and while standing up from the couch, he asks, "And what makes you think that I haven't thought of this?"

 

"No way..." Baekhyun glances up at him, a glint of shock and surprise in his eyes, "Tell me you haven't!"

 

"Too late." Jongin turns the TV off and heads to the kitchen, hoping to find something to eat, "What do you think we did in our room last night, then? Dressing up dolls like five-year-old girls?"

 

"Don't you dare use sarcasm on me, Kim Jongin." Baekhyun shouts from behind, earning a deadly glare from Joonmyun, who is still upset with Sehun.

 

Jongin picks up the leftover bucket of fried chicken from the fridge and makes himself comfortable at the dining table before answering. "Sorry, hyung. Looks like you'll have to come up with something else."

 

 

§

 

After EXO debuted, the boys have mostly spend the last day of a year onstage performing for the public's entertainment while waiting for the countdown. It is an honor, Jongin knows, to get invited to so many year-end shows, but the feeling of wanting something else gets stronger each time. He didn't know what something else was until this year, until they actually have the day all to themselves.

 

He wants to do the new year countdown. He wants the countdown not to be on the stage, but in private, so that he can dress comfortably. He wants to yell "Happy New Year!" freely, with no cameras flashing around him. He wants to cheer for the new year with his dearest friends, with people he cares about.

 

He wants to do the countdown next to Kyungsoo.

 

Upon realizing this, Jongin wastes no time in searching for Kyungsoo. It is already five in the evening, and if he wishes to be somewhere special with the said male tonight, he'd better ask now.

 

He finds the older out on the balcony alone, sitting on one of the balcony chairs and holding a cup of hot chocolate while reading a familiar-looking book.

 

"Kyungsoo-hyung?" He calls softly in fear of startling his bandmate.

 

Kyungsoo looks up from the pages and locks eyes with Jongin. In an instant, he greets the latter with a warm and tender smile. "Hi, Jongin-a. What's up?"

 

Jongin returns the smile and attempts to sit down on the empty chair across from Kyungsoo, but because he is shaking a little, he almost knocks the chair over instead. "Umm. Oops."

 

Kyungsoo laughs. "Are you okay?"

 

"Nah- yes, yeah. I'm fine." Jongin laughs, too. This time he manages to get himself seated succesfully, his hands placed on top of his knees. "I'm thinking that, well, since it's the last day of the year and all, do you, perhaps, want to go somewhere?"

 

"'Go somewhere'? Jongin-a, what do you mean?"

 

"I mean, uhh-" Jongin pauses to find his vocabulary, "I mean would you like to watch the fireworks somewhere... not in the dorm? With me instead?"

 

The older seems slightly shocked to hear the question, eyebrows raised and eyes wide.

 

Jongin adds quickly, "Because I think I'd like to thank you for- uh- helping me with acting and I didn't know what to do. And, I don't know, but since we've never done the new year countdown elsewhere... I thought maybe I can accompany you anywhere you'd want to go."

 

Kyungsoo continues to look at him quietly.

 

"No other intentions, haha..." He shakes his head and gives a dry laugh. He curses himself for being so blunt with his words. He's perfectly sure that Kyungsoo must feel creeped out right now.

 

Kyungsoo sighs after a while, and Jongin steals a glance at the smaller boy, expecting to see a frown or even disgust on the other's face. However, he is surprised to be met with a subtle smile.

 

"Jongin-a, thank you for the offer. It's not I don't like it, in fact, I'd like it very much, but I think going out will be a little too risky." Kyungsoo presses his lips together, appearing to be in thoughts. "There will be tons of people out there, and some of them are going to recognize us no matter how hard we try."

 

Jongin nods in a daze. Did Kyungsoo just say that he'd like to go out with Jongin? Because Jongin doesn't think his heart can beat any faster than the speed it's at now.

 

"But I guess," Kyungsoo keeps on speaking, "Perhaps we can enjoy the fireworks at the rooftop? It's still only the rooftop of our dorm, so it's not exactly what you suggested, but how about that?"

 

This time, it's Jongin who is left in shock and a open jaw. He expects either rejection or a simple confirmation from Kyungsoo, not Kyungsoo ending up asking him out. His brain reasons that Kyungsoo is just offering an alternative choice to his own idea, yet it doesn't help slow his heart down. The fact that Kyungsoo agreed to his plan is enough, but now Kyungsoo is the one asking if Jongin agrees to watch the fireworks with him.

 

Jongin feels like his head is exploding. His heart is exploding, too, from all the mixed feelings he is getting all at once.

 

"Jongin-a? What do you say?" Jongin snaps back into reality when he hears Kyungsoo calling him, and realizes that the latter is still waiting for a reply.

 

He nods vigorously. "Ah, yes! Definitely yes. That's great, hyung."

 

Kyungsoo flashes him the brightest grin he has seen in a while.

 

 

§

 

"He said yes?"

 

"Did he?"

 

"Tell me he did, come on!"

 

Half an hour later, Jongin finds himself being bombarded by questions in Chanyeol and Jongdae's room. The older two haven't stopped asking how everything went since the minute he set foot in their room. Now, as Jongin sits on Chanyeol's bed, they come crashing down on either sides of him, demanding an answer from him.

 

"Jongin-a, say something!" Jongdae slaps the younger one's thigh with much force.

 

"Ouch, hyung!" hisses Jongin, "And yes! He agreed!"

 

Jongdae lets out a long whistle and high-fives Chanyeol, who is as ecstatic as he is.

 

"Soo said yes to you. I'm so touched." Jongdae wipes at an invisible teardrop at the corner of his eye.

 

Chanyeol fans himself. "Oh, I think I'm gonna cry."

 

Jongin rolls his eyes at his two bandmates. "It's not like I popped the question, dudes. Don't get so emotional before I do."

 

"You're just embarrassed to show your happiness, Jongin-a." The two reach out to ruffle Jongin's hair in a loving way. "Let hyungs be happy for you."

 

"Jongin!" Before Jongin manages to groan and push the wandering hands off him, he hears his name being called from another room. They immediately recognize that annoying voice, belonging to none other than their hyperactive member Byun Baekhyun.

 

"Jonginnie! Jongin-ah!"

 

Jongin massages his temples. Baekhyun calling him out of the blue can not mean good news.

 

"Kim Jongin!" Baekhyun yells again.

 

"Aren't you gonna answer? He's just going to get more noisy." Jongdae shakes his head in a helpless way.

 

"Kim Kai! Come here!"

 

At the sound of his stage name, Jongin finally stands up. He knows Baekhyun doesn't use their stage names unless he's really impatient, so that last yell is his sign to leave Chanyeol and Jongdae's room. "I'd better go now. Whatever he's got this time, I don't feel good about it."

 

Jongdae shrugs. "Don't worry. We're gonna beat him anyways."

 

"Beat him in what?"

 

"Helping you get Kyungsoo."

 

"Ha ha." Jongin drops a fake laugh before closing the door.

 

He locates Baekhyun in his shared room with Kyungsoo, yet his roommate is nowhere in sight. The older is currently tapping his foot rapidly on the floor with his arms crossed in front of his chest.

 

"What took you so long? I called you like ages ago."

 

"I was talking to Jongdae-hyung and Chanyeol-hyung before you had to interrupt." Jongin shoots back in no time.

 

Baekhyun shifts his posture at the mention of the two names, as though they have triggered something inside him. He clears his throat. "Don't spend too much time around those two, eh? They're bad influence."

 

"You're one to say."

 

"No. Jongin, I'm your hyung, too." Baekhyun sits himself down at the younger's desk, "And do you want to hear me out at all?"

 

"I'm not stopping you." Jongin retorts before adding, "Hyung."

 

Baekhyun narrows his eyes at the sarcastic tone, but doesn't address it. "So you see, today being December 31st and all. It's kinda special, so to say. You get me?"

 

Jongin doesn't respond vocally. He only slight nods.

 

"Good." The older continues, "Let's say you wanna watch the fireworks at midnight. It'd be romantic to be side to side with your beloved Soo, no?"

 

Jongin smiles. Is Baekhyun getting at where he thinks he's getting at? Because if so, he can totally crush Baekhyun down by telling him that he has already asked Kyungsoo out an hour ago.

 

Baekhyun takes the younger's smile as something appreciative and that seems to brighten up his mood drastically. "You understand my point, no? Now go get Soo. Tell him you'd want a romantic night with him, and boy, he'd be jumping into your arms in record time."

 

Jongin opens his mouth to speak. He wants to reveal to Baekhyun that his advice is too late, and he also wants to see the defeat look on Baekhyun's face as he does so. But before he utters any words, he is reminded of Jongdae's words.

 

"We, the three of us, make sure you and Soo end up as a couple first. Then we can rub it in Baek's face."

 

Jongin doesn't know why he remembers that moment all of a sudden, yet there is a feeling brewing inside him, pushing him to give in to Jongdae's plan. He never considered the whole "Mission Get KaiSoo Together Before Baekhyun" feasible since it sounded extremely stupid. But judging from the signs given over the past two days, Kyungsoo being nicer than ever and Baekhyun slower than ever, the plan can actually work.

 

They can actually rub Baekhyun's failed mission in his own annoying little face.

 

Upon realizing that they have the upper hand here, Jongin hums. "Yeah. Maybe that'll work out. Thanks."

 

"Thanks who? Jongin-a?"

 

He can't resist the urge to roll his eyes. "Thanks, hyung."

 

"Now that's better."

 

 

§

 

The coldness that is the December air surrounds Kyungsoo as he stares into the sky alone. It's barely 11:30p.m., yet he is already on the rooftop, gazing out at the scenery. There isn't mush to see, as numerous skyscrapers are constantly blocking his sight, leaving nearly no room for his eyes to wander freely. However, through several openings between buildings, he is sure that he and Jongin will be able to catch enough of the fireworks to get by.

 

While Kyungsoo is thinking about Jongin, a small smile silently forms on his lips. He was more than pleased when he heard Jongin's suggestion, but since his brain decided to stop working at that exact moment, the initial reaction he gave the younger was something cold. Kyungsoo knew he scared Jongin with that blank look, seeing how the latter visibly panicked within seconds, so he forced himself to come up with a positive answer fast.

 

He answered Jongin with a sensible yet positive reply, and that's why he's standing on the rooftop of their dorm now, waiting for the younger's appearing. He isn't exactly sure where Jongin initially had in mind when he approached him, but for now, the rooftop seems fine enough.

 

Kyungsoo closes his eyes when a soft breeze sweeps over the empty space. Tucking his hands into the pocket of his coat, he jumps a little to ward off the chilly air. Whilst keeping himself warm, he misses the faint noise of the door leading to the rooftop opening.

 

"Kyungsoo-hyung!"

 

The second when Jongin's voice fills Kyungsoo's ears, the older senses a hand placed gently on his shoulder. He feels a bit of disappointment when the hand is soon withdrawn.

 

"Jongin." Kyungsoo says, "I thought you wouldn't be here for another ten minutes or so. How come you're here?"

 

"I-uh-" Jongin starts, "We noticed that you were nowhere to be found. They kinda panicked and I told them that I'd come check since, uh- since we talked about coming to the rooftop so- Here I am."

 

Kyungsoo seems pretty amused by Jongin's flushed answers. Little does he know that the younger isn't being completely honest with him. In fact, EXO did notice Kyungsoo was gone, but as soon as Baekhyun dropped a few shades regarding 'rooftop' and 'romantic date', everyone except for Jongin lost interest. Jongin decided to see for himself if Kyungsoo was really at their rendezvous already. And much to his relief, he locates the shorter male in no time.

 

"Cake?" Jongin offers right after seeing Kyungsoo's smile. That's when Kyungsoo finally notices that Jongin is also carrying two plates, each holding a generous slice of chocolate cake.

 

Kyungsoo gladly accepts the dessert along with the plastic fork Jongin hands him, mumbling a 'thanks' as he stuffs his mouth up. No one will see them at this moment, thereby he isn't concerned about being seen eating with such eagerness. The cream is smooth and the chocolate is not too sweet, just how Kyungsoo likes it.

 

"You guys got cake without me?" He manages to ask after swallowing.

 

Jongin chuckles. "Ah, no. I got it this evening. I thought we'd appreciate the company of some sweets while watching the fireworks."

 

Something stirs in Kyungsoo's stomach upon hearing Jongin's answer. He knows it's probably nothing, since Jongin is always this nice and caring guy and treats everyone kindly, save for Baekhyun, perhaps, but that'll be another story. However, that Jongin asked for a night together with just the two of them, and that he got them a cake, moreover, one of Kyungsoo's favorite types of cake, are making his heart rate accelerating unwillingly. Yet a small voice in the recesses of Kyungsoo's mind tells him to think nothing of the actions, so he brushes it off before his brain can go into overdrive.

 

"Woah, thank you, Jongin-a. It's really nice of you." He says instead.

 

"It's nothing, hyung." Jongin looks embarrassed by the older's words, "Plus you're helping me with acting, it only seemed fit."

 

Kyungsoo slightly shakes his head. Then he notices that the cake on Jongin's plate is still intact. "Aren't you going to eat?"

 

Without waiting for an answer, Kyungsoo scoops up a small share of the chocolate cake with his fork and nudges it in front of Jongin's plump lips. "Eat."

 

Jongin hesitates for a moment before complying, opening his mouth and devouring the dessert. He ignores how the butterflies in his stomach are multiplying every milisecond and forces his taste buds to report back to his brain about the material sitting on his tongue. His brain then tells him that it is the best cake he has ever eaten in his lifetime, in spite of the fact that the cake was only bought at a small bakery just around the corner. That's when Jongin realizes that Kyungsoo feeding him is messing with his senses, making him lose his usual judgement.

 

Oh, no. Brain, calm down.

 

Yet he is too late. A moan of satisfication has already escaped his throat before he can stop himself.

 

"It's that good, huh?" Kyungsoo laughs.

 

Jongin's cheeks are instantly heating up. He meekly nods and scratches at the back of his head, trying to not look as hysterical as he feels inside.

 

Kyungsoo fixes him with a warm look. He gestures to the chairs behind them as he adds, "Why don't we sit down for now? You wouldn't want to stand for another hour, would you?"

 

Jongin joins Kyungsoo. He is both awkward and excited to spending the night with, according to Baekhyun, his 'beloved Soo' and since isn't sure if he will accidentally give away his huge crush on him, he's also pretty nervous. He scratches at the back of his head again.

 

Luckily, Kyungsoo seems unfazed by Jongin's awkwardness. He tries to start their conversation with light topics. "So what's everyone else doing for now? Joonmyun said that he wanted to do a family meeting tonight."

 

"He always says that." Jongin shakes his head, "But no, the others voted his motion out. I think, before I left, they were talking about making a video for the New Year. Baekhyun-hyung wanted to surprise the fans and Jongdae-hyung jumped head first into agreeing with him. And I don't know, Sehun was trying to convince them to strip Joonmyun again. It got... wierd."

 

Kyungsoo lets out a string of laughter. "I can imagine that."

 

"Well, not to mention Chanyeol-hyung looked like he was sulking."

 

The look in Kyungsoo's eye calls for Jongin to continue.

 

"I mean, when Baekhyun-hyung and Jongdae-hyung were coming up with ideas to put in the video, Chanyeol-hyung looked unhappy. I... I don't think anyone noticed it though."

 

"Hmm." Kyungsoo hums, "That's interesting. Tell me something, were Baekhyun and Jongdae clinging onto each other like they always do at that time?"

 

"Now that you mentioned it, yeah."

 

"Okay. That explains it."

 

Jongin frowns when Kyungsoo stops his sentence there. True to the older's words, Baekhyun and Jongdae are always very touchy with each other, aside from when they're bickering, but there is a trace of hint in Kyungsoo's voice that urges Jongin to think more into it. "Wait- Are you saying that... Chanyeol-hyung-"

 

"Has a crush on one of the two idiots? Yeah."

 

 "No way."

 

"What? Are you homophobic?"

 

Jongin is immediately taken aback. Never once has he thought that he would be asked this question, especially not from the boy whom he obsesses over every day. He has made peace with his ual orientation a long while ago, and though he hasn't come out to some of the members, Jongin doesn't try to hide who he is. So is he homophobic?

 

"Of course not! I'm shocked you would think that, hyung." Jongin shakes his head, "I'm not homophobic. Should Chanyeol-hyung be gay, I don't mind."

 

Kyungsoo looks at him with an unreadable expression.

 

Jongin continues, "It's unfair to discriminate against people for their ual orientations. Everyone, I mean, everyone has the right to be treated equally, whether being hetero or homo or bi... or anything. Hyung, I'm serious."

 

Kyungsoo slowly nods, a small smile spreading across his face. "Glad to know we're on the same page."

 

They sit there for a while without another word, each going over the conversation in their minds.

 

Kyungsoo, for a moment, was scared after bringing up the question. He was afraid that Jongin's answer would not be what he wanted to hear  He was afraid that if Jongin and his points of view were drastically different, their friendship would break apart. And most of all, he was—and still is—afraid that he wouldn't get recognition and understanding for his own uality from the one person he has grown so fond of, Kim Jongin. But the second Jongin proved his insecurities wrong, Kyungsoo felt like as great weight was lifted off his chest.

 

He has only kept his affection for the younger in check, with all actions explicable in terms of their close friendship. Sure enough, they together are a rather famous 'couple' within the group, but that doesn't exactly satisfy Kyungsoo's yearning. He wants to be more with Jongin than merely being called a cute, fictional pair. Of course, Kyungsoo understands that the conversation they just had has yet to bring them anywhere further. Granted that Jongin is supportive of diverse ualities, he's probably not part of the LGBT community. However, Kyungsoo doesn't dare to ask for too much. Knowing that he could have Jongin's understanding and support is good enough for him for now.

 

Kyungsoo smiles to himself as he feels his whole world slowly light up owing to Jongin's words.

 

"Everyone, I mean, everyone has the right to be treated equally, whether being hetero or homo or bi... or anything. Hyung, I'm serious."

 

Kyungsoo's world lights up brighter than the fireworks in the dark night sky.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Author's Note:

Firstly, how is the Kaisoo community? How is everyone doing? Please let me know if you're doing okay. :)

Also, allow me to address the Kaistal dating news here. I am well aware of the fact that they're dating, I'm not going to deny it or come up with theories that Jongin is not a couple with Soojung. However, as an author, I am in no way going to stop writing Kai's ships in the future. Some people might think that we're violating Jongin by writing about Kaisoo, when in fact, he's dating Soojung. However, in my opinion, we're all supposed to be mature enough to be able to tell fiction from reality, so I don't think the outcome of my creativity is going to direct harm in their way.

To be honest, I actually rushed a little to complete this chapter, so that I could give this statement and assure my readers that I'm not going to disappear.

Lastly, I still want to give my thanks to all my readers. Thank you for sticking around and I hope everything goes well for all of you. Have a nice day! :)