So It Begins

Talking About Unfairness

Prologue

-So It Begins

 

Growing up, Kim Jongin has heard lots of sayings that claim the universe is fair, most often of which are the words "God gives everyone the same twenty-four hours". The sayings all have their reasonable stands and are well known. However, Jongin begs to differ.

 

He begs to differ so much that he might even sound like a spoiled child asking for everything in the world.

 

He just cannot understand why people would think anything is fair in life, for that he is an eyewitness to solid proof of how unfair the universe can actually be. He believes that some people are just lucky to have won the gene lottery, and that some people, in fact, refers to a certain person. That certain person being someone whom Jongin has had the fortune to be in the same idol group with.

 

Do Kyungsoo. Jongin plays the name on his tongue over and over again, tasting the sweetness of the syllables, as he swiftly types away on his keyboard, searching for videos of their live performances on Youtube. Seeing that other members are all busy minding their own business, he has finally secured some time for himself, which is rather difficult to some level in a dorm housing eight young men.

 

He clicks on the second video on the list of the search results. As soon as the clip plays, he stares lovingly at his computer screen, eyes focusing on the figure dressed in a police uniform and holding a baton. How cute. Jongin muses to himself as he continues taking in the view that is his bandmate cosplaying a police officer, therefore missing the sound of the door behind him opening.

 

"Still obsessing over Kyungsoo?" A smooth voice interrupts.

 

Jongin jumps. The moment he whizzes his head around, expecting to sprain his neck in the process, he sees Baekhyun comfortably sitting on his bed with a sheepish smile on his face. He defends himself, "It's not an obsession!"

 

"No?" The older laughs, "What do you call the act of watching and re-watching everything of a certain person everyday then? Stalking?"

 

"I'm not stalking! I just- it's just- I- Well, it's just not an obsession or stalking." Jongin frowns.

 

"Oh, well, my mistake. So does Soo know that you watch all of our performances for him because you miss him so much when he's not around, huh?"

 

Jongin blushes furiously but remains quiet this time. Baekhyun has always liked to tease, to such an extent that the members will intentionally ignore him from time to time just to get him to shut up. Jongin decides on this silent treatment approach for the mean time.

 

"Come on, don't play deaf." The tricky thing is that Baekhyun isn't one to give up easily. "I know you can hear me, Jongin."

 

"Jongin, please. Play with me."

 

Jongin shifts his attention back to the screen. It isn't Kyungsoo's part right now, but it's fine as long as the music drowns out the whines coming from his bandmate. However, he feels his earphones being unplugged and the sound dies out immediately. He pauses the video and sighs, thinking the universe is also unfair for making him be in the same room as Baekhyun at this moment.

 

"Baekhyun-"

 

"Please, please, please, Jongin. Let me play with you. I just got kicked out of Jongdae's room 'cause he said I was annoying him."

 

Jongin rolls his eyes at him. Baekhyun makes a pouty face in return.

 

The two carry out a mini stare-down for roughly fiftteen seconds before Jongin gives in. "Fine. What do you want from me now?"

 

"A 'Thank you'." Baekhyun replies in no time, the corner of his lips curling upwards.

 

The younger only shoots him a confused glance, and the latter's expression turns smug at once.

 

"You know, I was the one who came up with the whole idea of cosplaying onstage." He presses the 'play' button on screen, "You have to admit you love how Soo looks in that uniform, no?"

 

Jongin doesn't need to spare any glance at their video to know that he wholeheartedly agrees. If he has to be honest, he thinks Kyungsoo looked absolutely breath-takingly stunningly handsome that day, and that is exactly why he re-watches this particular performance most frequently. But Baekhyun doesn't need to know all these, or else he will definitely get more cocky afterwards.

 

"He looks fine." Jongin answers flatly.

 

Baekhyun grins and ruffles the younger's hair. "I know you think he looks more than fine, stop brushing it off like nothing."

 

"I'm not brushing anything off."

 

"Yeah, right. I can see through you like I can see through the glass door in our shower room."

 

"The door is made of frosted glass."

 

"Oh. Well, I was thinking about that one in our old dorm. You know, the one which-"

 

"I know. We all lived there." Jongin deadpans.

 

"Why are you cutting me off?"

 

Jongin finds himself in awe. He is in awe because of Baekhyun's amazing ability to annoy whoever he's talking with, and that even after four years of dorming together, he has yet to figure out when to shut up. Somehow, he can only shake his head in silent chuckles. "You are unbelievable."

 

"I am awesome, Jongin. Awesome is the right word." Baekhyun corrects. "And I'm still waiting for the thank you."

 

The younger groans. "Okay. Thanks. Is that enough?"

 

"You don't mean it."

 

Jongin glances at him and finds the latter staring back with innocent puppy eyes. He suddenly feels grateful that he's attracted to Kyungsoo instead of this troublemaker, otherwise he just might cave once more. "I've said it. Take it or leave it."

 

Baekhyun is quiet for a moment, then something inside him seems to click. His eyes lights up with visible mischievousness.

 

Jongin huffs. "What now?"

 

"Kim Jongin. That's not how you should be talking to the person who's gonna help you with your pathetic love life." Baekhyun stands up, chin up and chest out, as if he were some hero in the movies with some inspiring anthem playing in the background.

 

Jongin gapes at Baekhyun's action. He has no idea what the apparently delusional man in front of him is trying to do, and it scares him a little bit.

 

Baekhyun continues. "I know I'm a great person, but since you are so stubborn and won't admit it, I will- and I mean it- assist you with your crush on our Soo until you understand how to appreciate my existence."

 

Jongin tries to voice out his confusion, but a delicate finger is pressed on his lips when he does so.

 

"Nu-uh. Don't speak. I'm in the middle of a declaration here. See, I now declare that I will make Kyungsoo fall for you like you fall for him. Therefore, you should start respecting me and pray that my matchmaking skills aren't rusty yet. Baekhyun out."

 

With that, the older waltzes out of Jongin's room, leaving the latter in a shocked state, jaw hanging open and eyes wide.

 

 

 

What has Baekhyun gotten me into?

 

 

 

 

 


Author's Note:

The story has started! This is serving as the prologue, the following chapters will be longer. Are you guys looking forward to what happens after Baekhyun's declaration?

By the way, in case some of the readers didn't know, below is the clip that Jongin is obsessing over :)