团圆饭

reunion dinner

Henry props his elbow on the side of the kitchen island, and looks at Amber who is slouched against the wall, probably still half-asleep, waiting for her toast.

 

"Err... You... wanna join us for reunion dinner?"

 

The few seconds that Amber takes to register what Henry had just said was nothing but awkward. Should he have waited for when she was more awake? Henry was pretty sure Amber wasn't even clear-headed enough to tell if she had already taken off the plastic on her sliced cheese.

 

"You know... This Sunday? Reunion dinner? My parents? Whitney? Clinton? We're having steam-"

 

"No."

 

"BUT-"

 

"No buts Henry. Thanks, but no thanks. And take that look off your face before I smack you."

 

Henry drops his signature pout almost immediately. Amber was apparently not in the mood this morning.

Not that she ever was, but, you know.

 

He runs a hand through his hair and huffs. "Amber, c'mon, you're gonna be alone this year. AGAIN. And, well... My mum asked you to come."

 

It goes quiet for a while, and Henry thinks all hope is lost. He looks up from his lap for the first time since Amber rejected him, and finds the younger girl with her cheeks puffed out, a sign that she was hesitant about something.

Henry tried to wrestle down the smile that was creeping up. (You fail 11/10)

 

"Ok fine... but only because of Mama Lau!"

 

__________

 

"So Amber dear, how long have you been seeing Henry?"

 

Amber nearly chokes on the huge meatball that she had just stuffed into her face.

 

Henry splutters, WHERE THE HECK DID THAT COME FROM!?

 

"Dad!!"

 

"What? I thought you guys were together! Isn't that why you brought her back for reunion dinner?"

 

Amber was bewildered. Where on earth was the conversation headed? "Wasn't Aunty was the one who asked me over?"

 

"Oh c'mon, Henry was the one who called to say he was gonna bring y-"

 

Henry throws his fishball at Whitney. Darn that kid.

 

Amber was about to pour hot soup over Henry.