Not Good Enough.

You're all I could ask for, silly.

Nicole POV:

"Nicole. Nicole." my mum's voice urged me to stand from the couch to find her standing in the main hallway near the door.

"Yes?" I bit my lip, knowing what she'd say, not wanting to face reality.

"Your last day, honey. Where do you want to spend it?" 

I looked away, blinking furiously as I tried to stop my tears from falling. I crudely brushed my hair behind my ear.

"Their house." I whispered quietly, knowing I'll get nothing but a no. She didn't approve of me visiting guys alone in their home.

"Go."

My head snapped forward, eyes wide in surprise.

She waved her hand roughly in the direction of the door, smiling gently. 

"It's your last day here for another few years, Nicole. You're leaving a group of friends you've become bonded with. Do you really think I'll deprive you of this? After you were forced to give up your friends back in LA? I'm your mother, Nicole, I know what you need, and this..." She opened the door, the sunlight illuminating her from behind. "Is exactly what you need."

I grabbed my shoes, stuffing my feet in. I ran past her, stopping at the threshold. 

Hesitantly, I did something I haven't done in ages. "Umma." I called her in Korean, instead of just Mum in English.

I curled my fingers around her wrist, squeezing gently three times before taking off.

"Remember, Nicole honey, when words can't come, three squeezes means I love you."


I knocked on the door hurriedly, hoping they would be home.

No one.

Biting my bottom lip, I decided Onew oppa's house would be the only other place they would be.

"Nicole?"

I hugged him, tightly as he stiffened. He slowly relaxed and his arms came around me, a hand reaching up to my hair.

"I'm going to miss you all, even you." I mumbled.

"Thank you then, for missing me.." he chuckled as he pulled away. 

The sudden rush of air that came between us was disturbing, but was soon filled by another person.

"Jjong Hyung...? Nicole noona!" Taemin came running after he peeked out from the wall.

"Taemin ah, I'm going to be leaving tomorrow..." I said, blinking hard once again.

"I know." he smiled at me. "But you'll be back in no time. I'm sure of it. By then I'll be graduating, you have to come see me okay?"

"Ye-ah..." 

"So stop being such a wimpy girl, and cheer up, dummy." I turned to see Onew oppa leaning against the doorframe, face in a teasing expression. 

"I'm not!" I insisted, rubbing at my eyes, before looking defiantly at him.

"Come here, one last good bye." He held his arms out, a big grin on his face. I stepped into his warm embrace, and I felt my whole body relax instantly.

Stepping back, I looked straight into his eyes, only to be confused by what I saw. 

Fear. Emptiness. Dread. 

All that was opposite of what his face said.

And he realized that I could tell.

"Don't say anything." he whispered, tone urgent and pleading. 

I swallowed hard, before twirling around with a smile. "Shall we hang?"

"I vote for video games!" Taemin cheered at Jonghyun oppa's suggestion, and I let myself be dragged along by the two of them to the couch.

I sat, ignoring them as they set up. I turned my head back, to see Onew oppa lean back against the wall, heaving a sigh. A shadow fell across infront of him, and Minho came into sight. I saw Onew oppa instantly change back to what he was, reassuring and happy. Minho frowned as he was patted on the back by the older, and Onew oppa walked towards us. 

My eyes met Minho's, and he turned away, troubled.

He was a good actor.

Just not good enough.