Intro

Clue + Note

--





    Kim Jonghyun never expected to sign up for a law and deduction class. He was a performing arts major– specifically interested in R&B singing. He didn’t know how it happened. Maybe he was drunk, maybe he was too tired to see what bubbles he was filling in on his forms, and maybe it was just sheer accident. Any of these things could be things that affected his ultimate fate, but now there was no turning back.

    So, there he was. Kim Jonghyun, an art major, a sophomore at the university, and luckily a fan of detective novels, sitting at a small desk at lecture hall 46B. The teacher was putting away some things at her desk, and organizing her notes before the class would begin. A man was setting his things out on the desk next to him, then sitting down at said desk. He was blonde, except part of his hair was shaved pretty short and a dark brown color. Jonghyun decided he was pretty cute, then went on with his own organizing.
    Absolutely nothing was predictable in this class. Jonghyun was out of place, and knew no one in the room as he scanned it. He was only a sophomore too– where as everyone else here had to be a junior at least. He was twenty two, had dark brown hair, and was a mere 170 centimeters. His only real advantage over anyone here was that he worked out pretty religiously, and could hit a high C sharp.

    The class quieted, and he noticed the man next to him snap up in his seat, now paying complete attention, cat-like features showing complete interest in whatever the teacher was going to say. The teacher introduced herself, pacing back and forth across the front of the room. She announced all the typical things you hear at the beginning of a class, but then took a detour not even the guy sitting next to Jonghyun seemed to expect.

“Before we begin any lessons at all, we will hold a deduction contest. It is mandatory, and your participation will be part of your grade.” The woman declared this bluntly, and completely out of the blue.

“The contest goes as follows. Over the span of the next five days, I will be calling you each in individually to do a quick deduction activity. You will need to read a murder case over, then give your best ideas for the motive, who committed the crime, and how everything happened. You will be rated on a scale of one, to 100.” The teacher paused for a beat to look at her notes once more. Jonghyun shifted in his seat, his mouth twisting a bit in confusion and anxiety. Even if this was just for participation points, he didn’t want to risk embarrassing himself in front of his new professor. Not to mention, if this was just participation why would there be points involved in the first place?

“The points are used to select the top five scoring students. These five students will have the privilege of working privately and getting credit purely for working together as one detective on real-life cases.”

    Jonghyun could feel his mouth drop open.

    Was this for real? Was this a real thing that was going to happen? Real students, in this classroom, working with actual homicides. This was a lot to take in. Although the blonde next to him seemed quite pleased, with a smirk plastered on his face, and a low snickering coming from his lips. Jonghyun could tell he wanted to win. This was what made him think about the whole thing more clearly.
    The whole purpose of this was for life experience, and also possibly future career experience. This wasn’t a way to get free credit while taking no exams, it was much, much harder than that. Sure, Jonghyun had experienced the presence of death. Some friends, some family, some people he didn’t even know but had the unfortunate pain of watching slip away into whatever lies beyond the black curtain of the stage of life. But the differences lying in this possible experience were very distinct, and stuck out in front of Jonghyun’s face once he thought about it.
    Experience one: the fact that someone actually had the courage, and overall mental instability to kill someone else, and that five complete strangers would need to rely on one another to stomach this fact. This, of course, could be for the better or for the worse, or both. Either he will find strength in these new individuals, or they will all suffer the trauma of various gory, disturbing deaths and occurrences.
    Experience two: justice. Plain and simple. Jonghyun always thought to himself about what it would be like to get justice in his situation with his deadbeat father. His sister, mother and him lived not terribly even without him, but it hadn’t always been that way. Without extra income, his mother worked two jobs, and was constantly too tired to do anything with him and his sister; even cooking for them after the age of around ten. His father hadn’t been too a terrible a person either. He never beat any of them, and he never attempted to do anything undesirably ual with anyone in his family either. All he did was yell, and yell, and yell until him and his sister would sit in their room and try to blast their music through headphones to cover it up. It was all over now, though. He had left, at night, without anyone knowing in the middle of winter. Jonghyun was seven, his sister five. He never forgave his father, but he did somewhat thank him for having the brains to leave before he did something he’d regret. That was what drove Kim Jonghyun to his longing for anything justice related.

    The blonde looked over at him, still with a calm, cocky expression on his flawless face. It was only this that snapped Jonghyun out of his little reminiscence of his past. It scared him how easy it was to change his focus onto the man looking at him. He also didn’t blame himself. The blonde was taller than him, but not muscular in any way. He had somewhat feminine features, and dark, creased eyes that Jonghyun guessed could see through your very thoughts. His lips were a perfect cupid’s-bow, and his clothing was styled to the very last detail– obvious care put into every color and accessory.

“You excited?”

“W-Wait what?” Jonghyun stumbled on his words, leaning back in his seat and snapping out of the second self-monologue of the day. The man was speaking to him whilst turned sideways in his seat, one elbow on his desk, propping his face up as he spoke.

“Are you excited for the contest? I’m always one for a good contest. They make things so much more fun, don’t you agree?” The man smiles more genuinely, watching the way Jonghyun’s eyes widen at how casually he spoke to a mere stranger.

“I mean, I guess so. Kind of anxious though, aren’t you…?” The brunette crosses his arms across his desk, looking the stranger straight in the eyes. He had to admit to himself, this was the first time he had seen a man wear an off the shoulder sweater to a college lecture before. Jonghyun definitely wasn’t one for stereotypes, but everything about this man seemed not-straight-at-all.

“Nah, I live for this kind of thing,” he pauses, still beaming with anticipation and surprising friendliness, “my name’s Kibum, by the way–Kim Kibum. I’m a sophomore and a textile and fashion design major, and also a musical performing arts major.”

Of course.

“I’m Kim Jonghyun, also a sophomore. Vocal performing arts major. So, I guess we’re both out of place here.” They both laughed, and Jonghyun thanked whatever there was to thank in the world for not making him stand this bizarre class alone. He thanked Kibum for introducing himself, and he thanked himself for signing up for this class. Even as it would turn out to be one hell of a ride.




--




a/n:

hOOOHOHOHOooooo so im actually REALLY excited about this fic. if anyone could tell its based loosely off of how to get away with murder which i
really really really love 
also i decided to write this because Your Name's kinda darker-feel-than-i-usually-do was very very fun to write and i wanted to do some more of that. 
trust me the other members...   . . ... lets just say a few of them have much much darker backgrounds than jonghyun's hhhh hh  h haaa.. . .. no spoilers tho 

i have a three day weekend so maaybbbEeee the first full length chapter will be done soon!!!!!!
i really hope u guys like this fic because i put alot of thought into it and im very excited myself to be writing it. there are plot twists and character stories to come!
thank you for reading!! please comment on whatever you want, but especially what you want to see in this fic!! thank you thank you

-ki