Chapter 1

You Belong With Me

You're on the phone with your girlfriend
She's upset, she's going off about something that you said
'Cause she doesn't get your humor like I do.

I'm in the room, it's a typical Tuesday night.
I'm listening to the kind of music she doesn't like.
And she'll never know your story like I do.

 


 

TIFFANY POV

"I don't get it, Taeyeon" I could hear your phone call with your boyfriend filtering through the wall of our adjacent rooms, "Why'd you run off so quickly?"

I dropped back heavily onto the pink duvet of my bed. A sigh of exasperation escaped my lips as I threw an arm over my eyes. You haven't told him yet, have you?

"Oh you know! Just kind of tired," you laughed nervously, "Didn't really feel like staying out too long."

That sounded weak, even from you TaeTae.  I can imagine you're pacing your room right now, aren't you?  I can hear the muffled steps of your feet as they pace the carpet.  Probably tugging nervously at the sleeve of your blue pyjama shirt.

Thud, thud, thud.

I don't know if that's my heartbeat or your footsteps. Maybe it's both.

"This isn't funny, Tae!" your boyfriend cut off your laugh, "And what did you mean when that reporter asked you for your first impression of me?"

"That was just a joke!" this time your voice is exasperated more than anything else. I bet you're right running your fingers through your hair right now.

"Your first impression was you thought I'd be better looking?!" I could hear Baekhyun's aggravated voice, either our walls are too thin or I'm too in tune with you, " Do you not want to be seen with me or something? Is that why you left in a hurry, Taeyeon?"

"No!"  Taeyeon whisper-yelled, it's the middle of the night, the other girls in the dorm are already asleep, "Look. I'm sorry if I hurt you with my joke or when I left quickly. I just wasn't in the mood to be out in public for long, 'kay?"

This isn't the first time they've had these late night talks. They're more like arguments really. But every time the pattern is the same.  Baekhyun gets mad at Taeyeon for a joke or for practically leaving him behind when there are reporters around.  Each time it ends with Taeyeon apologising and promising to be more careful of the jokes.  Honestly, they're harmless fun, they're part of who Taeyeon is.   I guess Baekhyun just doesn't get her humor.

I could hear Tae whispering goodbye on the phone, any second now she'd be here.

Sure enough, I counted her steps.  The door of her room creaked quietly open and just as quietly she closed it shut. 

Knock. knock.

Two soft taps on the wood of my door as she calls my name, "Fany? Are you awake?"

I don't know why she always asks that. I'm always awake. She needs me, so I'm always here. But I just answer her.

"Yeah," I whispered, "Come in."

And she did. Tip toeing silently through my doorway to sit at the end of my bed.  I pushed myself up to sit and lean against my headboard.  I patted the space by my side and she scrambled up to sit by me.  I let her lean her head on my shoulder as I wrapped my right arm around her.

"You heard?" Taeyeon asked, without looking me in the eye.

"Yeah," I squeezed her shoulders briefly to let her know it was alright.

"Why were you up?" Taeyeon played with the fingers of my left hand.  Touching each finger as they rest on my lap.

"No reason, just typical Tuesday night, just couldn't sleep," I whispered, "I was listening to some music."

"What song?"

Instead of answering her, I reached over to the bedside table closest to her and picked up my phone.  I reached up and carefully tucked a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear, my nails just grazing the side of her face.  Her dark brown eyes just stared at me in expectation. I placed one of the earphones in her ear and stuck the other in mine.  I just pressed play on the last song that was playing. Hyuna's voice blasted through the earphones, the words of 'Crazy' by 4Minute filled our silence.

A small lift on the corner of her lips made me smile.  My eyes showing mirth.  She finally broke into a proper smile. A small one, but more than the quirk of her lips.

"Baekhyun, doesn't like this song much, you know?" Taeyeon told me through a small breathy laugh.

"I like it and I know you do too, Tae," I shrugged.

She nodded and closed her eyes. Humming happily to the tunes of the other girl group.  Just enjoying each other’s company on my pink bed.

Our silence stretched on, not uncomfortable, but like we were waiting for something.

"It was the cameras, wasn't it?" I finally asked.

Taeyeon sighed and finally opened her eyes. Only to bury her face back in my neck and nodding.

"You haven't told him?"

"That I'm scared of the cameras?" I nodded to her, "No. I'm an idol, it's such a stupid fear."

I could feel wet drops falling on my neck. Her tears following the familiar path from her eyes.

“It’s not a stupid fear,” I wrapped both my arms around her this time, “Everyone has a fear, it’s never stupid, TaeTae.”

She sobbed heavily on me. I held her closer, till she fell on my lap.  I pushed her hair back and kissed her forehead.  Rocking slightly from side to side to comfort her.

Her voice whispered in my dark room, thick with tears, “How come he doesn’t get me, Fany-ah?”

It nearly broke my heart. She sounded so vulnerable. And small. And almost, broken.  The one she chose to understand her the most, just didn’t.

“I guess he just doesn’t know your story, Tae,” I answered, “Not like I do.”