Strange Happiness

Strange Child

The bubbles that were floating around happily, dancing with the flow of life, would eventually pop. The glitters that were once spread in the air, painting smiles on people's faces with their vividness, would eventually be on the ground, overlooked by others and stepped on. The birth of that unknown child, that presence that gave others so much joy, would one day give them twice the sorrow.  

Sooyoung was a happy, sanguine child, effortlessly telling jokes to everyone she met. Sooyoung knew that that bubbles will popSooyoung knew that glitters will drop, and Sooyoung knew that life has an end. She knew that she would bring others sorrow, but she secretly liked that thought. What's the point of perfume if the smell doesn't linger?  

She found no point in sadness, I mean, won't we eventually move on? Therefore, Sooyoung overlooked the sad things in life, even ones that involved her. She would only tell others the positive things, dismissing the negatives.  

One day, Sooyoung encountered a pessimistic Yerim. Her effortless jokes did not work, neither did her effortful ones; Yerim could not grasp their charm. Yerim eyed Sooyoung for a second, observing her thoroughly, before muttering: "Hello, sad happiness.".   

The same way Sooyoung found no point in sadness, Yerim found no point in happiness, I mean, won't it fade away anyway? Yerim knew that bubbles will pop, Yerim knew that glitters will drop, Yerim knew that life has an end, and that it would bring others sorrow. But she thought; the problem with perfumes is that the smell eventually disappears.  

Sooyoung stuck day and night around Yerim, teaching her about all the charms of happiness. Yet Yerim did not lend her ears, Yerim did not lend her eyes, Yerim was in her own cozy planet, remote from others'. Day by day, bit by bit, Yerim's planet orbited closer to the sun than before, and Yerim was amazed by the warmth she never knew existed.  

The next day, Yerim was subconsciously waiting for the lesson to begin, for that strange child to start blabbering about happiness for hours, yet that strange child never came. Yerim snickered at herself for thinking Sooyoung is strange, for she was even stranger; strangely waiting for that strangely charming child.  

Another day passed, so Yerim decided to visit her tutor of happiness. Knock knock, silence, knock knock, silence. 'Where's that cheeky "who's there?" Yerim thought to herself. The knocks were echoing the entire house before the creak of the door's opening started echoing instead.   

Yerim noticed a sleeping Sooyoung and let out a sigh of relief, then decided to approach the child. Sooyoung was sleeping on a notebook filled with scribbles. There was neat writing on the header and beginning of the page, but it suddenly took a chaotic turn.   

Yerim gently pushed the head of the sleeping Sooyoung aside to read more, dismissing how cold it was, and continued reading. Out of the blue, Yerim started melting. Tears were falling, she was a melting candle, yet she smiled; for that was the lesson of the day.  

The last thing written with those strange hands: "Goodbye, happy sadness."