Prologue i

Diend: Creation (Arc I)

     A howl echoed in the desolate woods. The forest was blanketed with thick snow that day, signifying a long season waiting to pass.

“She’s here somewhere. There's no way she knows her way out of here." A loud voice erupted from nearby, putting the frightened creation in a frozen position.

There was no way she would dare to move. Not even a small inch.

Her body was already adorned with bruises and wounds she received from fighting her way out of the laboratory. They stung with the falling snow as a shiver rippled down her spine. The thin material of the white hospital-like gown was torn and stuck to her frame thanks to the wetness that coated the fabric.

     A hand clamped around , trying to stop a sob that threatened to release itself when the sounds of footsteps got closer and closer to her hiding spot.

They were right. The creation didn't go far.

She wasn't even sure where the city of 'Seoul' lied.

Quietly, she pressed her back roughly against the tough ridged texture of the trees’ brown bark. Its markings kissing her beaten back, leaving its imprints on her flesh.

     The footsteps approaching closer and closer to her and the sob that scratched away at yearned to be released as she felt fear boiling deeper into her stomach. The high she once felt taking over her senses when she was back at the laboratory had now vanished, taking away her courage.

     Such a young girl she was- a newborn basically in the world of the humans, she knew nothing about their civilization other than what she was taught in order to protect them.

‘One’

‘Two’

‘Three’

     The sounds of the crunching snow came to a halt just a few meters away from the row of trees she was hiding behind when the sound of something running caused one of the bushes to shake from a few feet away, getting the attackers’ attention.

“OVER THERE!” One of the voices cried, making everyone break out into a run to investigate the sound.

     Her free hand clenched tightly as she waited for the sounds of the men retreating to where the sound had come from fade. Unclamping her hand from , shaky sobs seeped out as she collapsed completely to the ground, her body shivering from the ice cold earth beneath her. She knew she had to get her senses back, there wasn't time for her to keep sobbing over the close encounters and wounded body. Not now. Not until she had a safe place to hide out and get her act together to figure out her next step.

     With shaking legs, the creation stood up from the ground knowing that for now, she was safe. Her target was the nearby river. The currents were the only things keeping her on track. She was close. She could feel the courage boiling in the depths of her stomach, pushing out the fear that once settled in.

     Stepping out of her hiding spot, her blistering feet marked the snow with the blood from her injuries. She knew they would probably come back once they noticed whatever made the noise wasn't her. Putting a long distance was the only thing in her mind. The blood of innocence was not one she would have in her hands. Although they were chasing her and shooting at her; she wouldn't fall to their level. Deciding not to linger any longer, she turned towards east-west, and took off to where the sounds of the rapid currents that were calling her were.

     Step by step in her journey, her ears twitched as they collected the sounds of the crunching snow beneath her feet, her heavy breaths caused by the cold dryness in , and the increasing sounds of the waters further in front of her.

What was this feeling she felt?

Winter was something she had only heard from the scientists in the laboratory. Seeing it was always just a dream but right now, she couldn't help but notice the blurry whiteness of a wonderland from the corners of her eyes.

Whiteness. So pure and innocent.

Everything around her was radiant with pure innocent energy.

A buzzing feeling tickled away at her body, hinting the strength of the pure earth life. Her mage side was kicking in at full blast, filling her with a giggly feeling. She came to the conclusion of it being happiness. She was free and her body yearned to rejoice in the moment. The moment could wait, however, as the river became closer.

     The currents of the river were filling her ears, getting louder and louder as her pace picked up. No trace of her would be found after she jumped in the water. To any normal view, seeing the rough, large and menacing ridged rock labyrinthine and icy cold temperature water would alert those with sane minds to keep away. The river was death in her watery form. But to the creation, her body was built to withstand situations like these. She knew it would be her only way to completely break the chains her ‘father’ had on her. The price of broken bones and more wounds was one she would pay for her freedom.

     Out a habit, the creation turned her head glancing over at her shoulder, but this time, it was as a form of saying goodbye to a life she never wanted to return to. After today, she would be free, even though she knew she could never stay in the same place for a long time. If it was what she had to do to reassure she would never go back underground where her hell was at; it was worth it.

     One large breath was what she needed to push herself off the edge and into the dangerous roaring currents of the river. Death’s cold embrace wrapped tightly around the creation’s petite torn and beat up figure, pulling her body along the flowing violent streams that headed downward where it would eventually meet with a deadly waterfall.

     Powerful currents tossed her body underneath like a rag doll and the ability to overcome the struggle to surface for air didn’t seem to be on her side. Even if it wasn’t needed for the creation, it had become a habit for her to fill her lungs with air more often than before. It was a useless battle against Mother Nature. Her struggles began to subside as her body was continued to be mishandled by the rough waters, banging her against anything that was in her way before her muscles relaxed and she allowed her consciousness to slip into darkness, putting her faith in the water.

Another howl echoed in the distance.

ஜ۩۞۩ஜ

Next Chapter Preview

     Tears flooded her eyes as she picked up her head to see the figure of the person was still sight. Even through her blurred gaze, she could see his figure. He wasn’t short or tall, from the looks of it. His flesh was a nice sand brown color- standing out in the winter’s whiteness, his back told her he was strong from the sight of the deer on the sled that he seemed to have caught by himself. And even if she could tell his features from behind well, he was so far from her. ‘Come on, Ae. don’t give up like this.’ Once more the voice whispered in her ear.

 

Enjoy the story? Want to support the Author for as little as $1 a month? Receive rewards while you do?

Visit the Patreon page by clicking below to learn how you can!