Chapter 02

When The Sun Falls

 

The next morning is a whirlwind of chores and cooking for the girl, as was every morning. Living on her own did not phase her mood, however. In fact, she enjoyed her own company.

She wakes at the break of dawn and finishes in time to go to market, just as the sun has risen high in the sky.

The square is a bustle of carts, horses, and noise. Vendors call out their prices as villagers scan the various goods. She navigates through the crowd with basket in hand, a hooded cloak wrapped around her to block out the dust kicked up by horses and children alike. She pays for her things with a kind smile and walks in the direction of the local seamstress, enjoying the sweet singing of the birds and sunlight warming her face when a low murmur suddenly spreads through the crowd like wildfire.

Curious, she turns on her heel, just as three young men on horseback trot into the square. Her own pulse quickens when she sees their noble attire and the crest of the High Family stitched into their saddle pads.

These men were from the castle.

The one leading the trio skillfully pulls back on the reins and turns to look at his comrades trailing behind him.

"Let's stop for awhile here, Hongbin. We should let the horses rest with how slow you and Sanghyuk are lagging along," he laughs in a way that sounds like the chiming of bells, low and hearty and playfully tosses his brown hair out of his eyes. The man called Hongbin looks annoyed and glares in his direction, but silently guides his own mare alongside him.

"If anyone's horse needs to rest, it's yours, Wonshik," he retorts, "you've been pushing Dal too much today, so shut up before I kick her manure in your face,"

"Can we please ride at least one day without you two bickering like old hags?" pipes up the youngest looking rider of the three, Sanghyuk, and rolls his eyes. Another chuckle from Wonshik before most of the crowd's attention returns back to their shopping and trading, though a few individuals are still whispering and pointing in the men's direction. Sanghyuk leans forward to lovingly rub circles into the neck of his mount, almost cooing as he speaks.

"But I agree, let's rest. Eun has worked hard today and she deserves a nice, juicy apple as a little treat,"

Wonshik snorts.

"The only woman that will ever love you and she can't even speak. Poor girl,"

He uses his height to his advantage and cups the horse's ear as Eun looks about curiously and bobs her head.

"Run while you still can," he whispers and Sanghyuk shoves him away with a chuckle.

"Don't listen to her, girl,"

They each dismount and tie their reins to posts outside the communal stables when the maiden suddenly feels a tug on her arm.

"Why is it that whenever you're around, there always seems to be a handsome man nearby?"

She whirls around to see none other than the boycrazy Yue and Luan sporting their trademark grins. They nestle into her sides, using her cloak to hide behind to observe the men from afar without being seen.

"It's because everyone's drawn to her,"

She starts to fuss over the girls as they continue to giggle before Luan staggers back a step, the fabric of the cloak gripped tight in her hands and she feels her weight pull to the side.

"They're coming this way!" Luan whispers with wide eyes, "why are they walking towards us? Why are the Queen's men even here?" she answers herself with a questioning shrug of her shoulders, "Yue, does my hair look alright? Do I have any dirt on my face? Is there something in my teeth-"

She's quickly silenced with a pained yelp as Yue stomps onto her foot before the noblemen approach them.

"Good afternoon," says Wonshik with kind eyes. The three girls bow their heads and curtsey low to the ground, remembering their manners in the presence of the elite. They echo his greeting.

As she looks back up to the men in front of her, she can see that the noblemen are indeed very handsome. Broad shoulders and a tall, lean frame is something they all share, and she wonders if they're in fact related. Sanghyuk smiles and she feels her heart jump at his charming youthfulness.

"My brothers and I are on a little excursion for Her Majesty the Queen," he states and she feels her cheeks flush at the mention of royalty, "we were hoping to find someone to help us to the next village since we're a bit behind and we'd like to save as much time as possible," Sanghyuk moves to jostle Wonshik playfully by the shoulders, "Wonshik overslept this morning and we lost about four hours of travel,"

Wonshik brushes away his hand and shoots him a dirty look as everyone else starts to laugh.

"But, of course, we'll gladly repay you for your favor. How does a nice meal sound? I'm quite famished myself,"

Surprisingly, Yue and Luan remain calm at Sanghyuk's offer and politely nod, though she can feel the excitement rolling off of them in waves. Wonshik steps forward and takes Luan by the hand, tugging her slightly forward to press a kiss to her knuckles, eyes roving her up and down.

"Delightful," he murmurs.

That's when the duo lose their composure and erupt into a fury of shy giggles. Hongbin snorts and bites his lip to keep from laughing, pushing him away from Luan.

"You're unbelievable. Can't you see how nervous they are already?"