Chapter One

Can We Love?

A/N:  Wow!  Thank you for the overwhelming interest, subscriptions and lovely comments.  You guys are all awesome.  Enjoy!

 

 

 The sounds of wheels rolling on the concrete ground, boards grinding down railings, the familiar crack of a board hitting the pavement or landing a trick, the cool breeze whistling by despite the bright sun burning down on the skate park, people walking, riding, doing tricks, cheering, and the fans who came to watch; all of this was a familiar environment for Hyomin. She had grown up around the skateboarding scene.

 

Hyomin could have easily been riding her own board, which she was holding underneath her right arm – the image of Supergirl still visible on the fairly new board, but instead she had chosen to walk towards the area her friends would usually skate in. Fangirls, as she and her friends would call them, could be seen in many different areas cheering on their favorite skateboarder. Hyomin smiled and waved at one group that walked past her.

 

Honestly, a lot of the times she found herself checking some of them out, they were beautiful girls after all, and this time it was no different. The one leading the group was tall, blonde, and blue eyed; it was the one Hyomin would always keep her eyes on. Hyomin bit her lip as she watched the girl walk further and further away with her friends.

 

“I think if you stare harder her clothes might come right off.” Eunjung grinned. Startled, Hyomin turned around and managed to scoff. Eunjung started giggling and rolling backwards since she was still standing on her board.

 

“Eunjung would know, she undressed her last week.” Donghae commented as he popped up behind Eunjung. He heard the shorter woman's comment.

 

“Hey!” Eunjung protested and jumped off her board. She shoved Donghae off his and a sudden shoving brawl started between the two.

 

Hyomin rolled her eyes and sighed. “Is there someone out here you haven't slept with?”

 

“Him.” Eunjung pointed at Donghae as their playful shoving stopped.

 

“Ew, not even if you were a dude.” Donghae scrunched his nose.

 

“Pfft, You'd be all over me if I was a dude.” Eunjung stuck her tongue out at Donghae and turned back to Hyomin. “Haley is the hottest fangirl, I couldn't help it.”

 

Hyomin rolled her eyes, typical Eunjung, always bedding the girls Hyomin took interest in. Well, it happened in high school, but in their adult lives it didn't happen as much. Not like Hyomin would have asked Haley out anyways, these fangirls liked her because she was a skateboarder and that made her “cool”. Hyomin was more interested in dating girls that liked her for her and not because she was a skateboarder or a well known comic book artist. That last thought reminded Hyomin of the group of girls that almost kidnapped her at last year's Comic-Con. The images made her shake her head and comeback to reality.

 

“Whatever.” Hyomin shook her head and dropped her board placing a foot on it. “Let's ride shall we?”

 

“Yeah!” Eunjung and Donghae high fived each other and followed after Hyomin.

 

The three sped through the park, hitting tricks and grinds along the way. Playful banter was part of their encouragement to each other and this is what made them so tight and connected when one would lead a trick and the other two would follow. Eunjung would lead them most of the time; she was highly dedicated to the craft and spent more time on that board than she did on her feet.

 

The group had circled around to the back of the park and were now headed towards the entrance. The steps that lead up to the park were the longest of any steps in the park and Eunjung would always jump over them every time. It was no different this time, so when she sped up her board and jumped from the top step, Eunjung's feet lost her board. The ollie had failed her this time.

 

“Oh sh-!” Eunjung landed face first on the ground after the bottom step.

 

Donghae who was right behind Eunjung burst into laughter, but karma paid him back by not paying attention. His board hit the railing causing his crotch to hit the top corner of the railing. A low groan-scream escaped his throat as he slid down the railing and finally landing next to Eunjung.

 

Hyomin who was behind the two, gasped and burst into laughter at the sudden terrible ideas the two had. She jumped off her board, hit the back of it and caught with her left arm as she descended the stairs on foot. At the bottom she found Eunjung, with blood running down the side of her face from a cut on her brow, and Donghae, who had tears rolling down his face and was holding his crotch with his right hand and point at Eunjung with the left, laughing at each other.

 

Hyomin was laughing so hard she had to hold her tummy. “I love you guys.”

 

 

 

 

 

Tap...tap...tap...

 

Jihyun kept tapping her pen on her desk as she read over the article on her computer screen. The writer had been working on this article for the magazine for the past two days. She had interviewed the model that would be on the cover of Elle's magazine next month, and Soyeon had been expecting Jihyun to turn it in any time now. Jihyun was meticulous in her writing, as well as other aspects of her life, so she wanted to make sure everything was correct before she turned it in. It was Soyeon's job to edit everything she wrote even if it was written perfectly.

 

“So...” JoKwon grinned deviously as he suddenly appeared in front of Jihyun's desk, “How was the date?”

 

Jihyun stopped tapping her pen and looked up at her friend. “What?”

 

“Girl! The date with that fine piece of man that Mark is!” JoKwon literally squealed just thinking about the male model that had taken an interest in Jihyun the other day after a photo shoot.

 

Granted, Jihyun had not been particularly interested in his advances, but after a little persuasion from JoKwon and giving into the fact that she found Mark handsome, Jihyun had taken up the guy's offer for a date. She bit her bottom lip and placed the pen down on the desk before leaning back on her chair.

 

“It was terrible.” Jihyun replied and JoKwon's grin turned into a frown.

 

“What?! Jihyun!” His tone was meant to scold her.

 

“I told you I didn't want to but you kept insisting!”

 

“Yeah! Because you need a man or woman...or whatever you like!” JoKwon placed his hands on his hips and leaned over the desk a bit. “And because you didn't listen to me that one time that female model was totally flirting with you!”

 

“She was not! And anyways, I already told you that I'm perfectly fine being single!” Jihyun defended herself.

 

“Guuuurl! I just can't. I can't. I can't with you. What the hell was wrong with Mark?” JoKwon was getting all dramatic now and Jihyun tried to hold back her laughter. His mannerism were always amusing.

 

“All he did was talk about himself and then expected me to sleep with him afterwards. No thanks.”

 

JoKwon was about to respond to Jihyun, but Soyeon's voice made him stand up straight. “We have a deadline people! I need all articles on my desk by four! Esther get me a water with lemon please. Jihyun, my office now!”

 

“You've been summoned. May the good Lord be with you!” JoKwon drew a cross in front of Jihyun with his finger and then ran off. Jihyun closed her eyes and shook her head. Between JoKwon's antics and Soyeon's demands, Jihyun was going to end up with a headache.

 

 

 

 

“I told you you needed stitches.” Hyomin gently poked the stitched up wound on Eunjung's eyebrow and the older girl flinched.

 

“Ow! Stop!” Eunjung slapped Hyomin's hand away.

 

After the accident at the skate park, Donghae had ended up with a pack of ice on his crotch thanks to a nurse at the hospital and Eunjung had needed three stitches to help heal the cut. Her helmet had protected her from getting a concussion luckily.

 

Hyomin took off her red plaid button up shirt and gave it to Eunjung so she could wear it over her blood soaked t-shirt. Hyomin had a plain white shirt underneath, so she didn't mind letting Eunjung wear her shirt. The two girls stepped out of the hospital room and met up with Donghae who was waiting in the waiting area for them.

 

“Nice Jung! Getting butcher by the day.” Donghae grinned and Eunjung stared him down.

 

“Alright scrambled eggs, let's go home.”

 

“Ooh! Good one.” Hyomin giggled at Eunjung's comment.

 

“I hate you both.” Donghae told them and stood up to follow the girls out of the hospital. They had walked a block down from the hospital when Hyomin's phone started ringing. She answered as the three friends walked alongside each other.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hello, Ms. Park. This is Aubrey from DC Comics. Mr. Johns has requested a meeting with you tomorrow morning at 10 am. Will you be able to make it?”

 

Hyomin was surprised by the call. “Did he say why?”

 

No, he just said it was important that you came. Please confirm.”

 

“Yeah, I can be there. No problem.”

 

“Great. Thank you for confirming. Have a nice day.”

 

Aubrey hung up after that and Hyomin put her phone back in her pocket. Donghae and Eunjung were looking at her expectantly but Hyomin brushed it off. “Work stuff.”

 

The two skateboarders nodded and decided to leave it at that. The friends made their way back home keeping a light chat along the way. Donghae stopped at the dojang to open and teach the class he had for tonight. Hyomin and Eunjung headed to their shared apartment.

 

 

 

 

 

“Jihyun, I was expecting your article on my desk by the time I got back from the meeting and I don't see it anywhere. Where is it?” Soyeon asked Jihyun as the younger woman stepped into her boss's office.

 

“It's on my computer. I was reviewing-” Jihyun tried to explain but Soyeon cut her off.

 

“I understand, but I am the editor. Whether it is perfect or not, I will make the final edit to make sure it is perfect. Print it out and bring it to me.” Soyeon took a seat on her chair and began skimming through the papers the other writers had turned in.

 

Jihyun nodded her head and walked out of Soyeon's office and back to her desk. A minute later she stepped back inside Soyeon's office and handed the editor her article. “Here you are Ms. Park.”

 

“Thank you. You're free to go. Have a good evening.” Soyeon replied as she grabbed the papers and waved Jihyun away.

 

“Likewise.” Jihyun kept her reply short and walked out of the office. She plopped herself on her chair and let out a sigh.

 

JoKwon seemed to have been waiting on her because he suddenly popped out of nowhere. “Thank goodness you survived! Praise!”

 

Jihyun chuckled. “She just wanted the article.”

 

“For now! Next it will be your soul.” The stylist laughed at his own joke but then got serious. “I was thinking of going to get a Mani-pedi. Do you want to come with? My treat.”

 

Jihyun looked down at her nails and figured a change wouldn't hurt, plus it would be free on her end. “Sure.”

 

“Let's go girl!” Jihyun giggled as JoKwon started walking away. She grabbed her bag and followed her friend out of the office for the day.

 

Jihyun was positive as she got in her car, that the whole nail salon visit was also to talk about her date with Mark. JoKwon was a nosy little thing, but he was also funny and kept her entertained with his antics.

 

 

 

 

The call from earlier had been bothering Hyomin on the way home and even now that she was sitting in front of her desk in her room. All of the drawings for the next issue of the comic she had been working on for almost two years now were sitting in a neat pile in front of her. She grabbed the first sheet, which had the drawing of the cover for the new issue, and stared at it. Batwoman had been her baby so to speak. Fresh out of college, Hyomin had landed a dream job with DC Comics and the new Batwoman series had been her start.

 

Hyomin reached for her phone and decided to call the two writers of the series. She was curious to find out if they had been contacted about the meeting. Driving down to Burbank in the morning wasn't the issue for Hyomin, it was the fact that something just didn't feel right. When they finally answered she wasted no time in asking them about the meeting.

 

They confessed to Hyomin that they had not wanted to worry her about it, but there had been some issues with the story writing and the direction Mr. Johns wanted to see them take the story to. This meant that the meeting would be about the future of the comic and now Hyomin dreaded the fact that she had to go tomorrow.

 

After hanging up with the writers, Hyomin slammed her phone on her desk and let out a frustrated sigh. “This ...”

 

 

 

 

Jihyun and JoKwon had a great time at the nail salon, aside from the obvious reason they were there, they had discussed Mark and the date in full and JoKwon had finally agreed that the guy was indeed a stuck up jerk. After leaving the nail salon, they had gone out for dinner and finally by now Jihyun was pulling up to the parking lot of her apartment building. Before she got a chance to get out of the car, her phone's messaging tone went off.

 

Minnie: Qri, are you busy?

 

Jihyun smiled at the nickname Hyomin had given her back in college. She was about to reply but her phone suddenly started ringing. The word “Mom” shined brightly as the phone ringed.

 

“Hi mom.”

 

“Jihyun-ah, I need you to come over. It's important.”

 

“Mom are you okay? What's going on?”

 

“Just come over Jihyun. I need you here.”

 

“Okay, I'm on my way.” Jihyun hung up the phone and frowned. What could her mom possibly need if it wasn't an emergency. She remembered that Hyomin had texted her, so before she turned her car back on, Jihyun replied.

 

Qri: Sorry Hyomin, mom just called. Something came up. I'll text you later. Promise <3

 

Jihyun turned her car on and pulled out to head over to her mom who lived north of Los Angeles. When she pulled up to her mother's home, Jihyun noticed a black car that didn't belong to either of her parents parked in the drive way behind her mom's car.

 

Jihyun parked on the side of the road and headed towards the house. She still kept a key to the house so she walked in like she still lived there. Her mother spotted her and quickly walked over to Jihyun and hugged her tightly.

 

“Jihyun-ah, glad you could make it over so quickly.” Her mother told her and led Jihyun into the living room.

 

“Yeah, no problem. Are you not feeling well mom...” Jihyun stopped walking and talking when she saw a black woman wearing a suit sitting on the couch and next to her was a baby in a car seat.

 

The woman stood up and extended her hand to Jihyun. “Hello, I'm Tasha Moore with Child Protective Services.”

 

“Hi, Jihyun Lee.” Jihyun shook the woman's hand. “Mom, what is going on?”

 

“Your sister has fallen back into her old habits. She went out to do what she does and left little Junhee home alone. According to Ms. Moore, Jihye had been gone for over a day before a neighbor finally broke her door down and took care of Junhee who was crying all alone in the apartment.” Jihyun's mom explained shocking her daughter.

 

“That same neighbor contacted us and we took the baby into our care. We have been trying to find the child's mother for a week now, but we haven't been able to locate her. The child's mother thankfully had a contact book in her home and that is how we were able to locate and contact Mrs. Lee.” Ms. Moore explained.

 

“Okay, so Jihye is somewhere getting high off her and she basically abandoned her daughter?” Jihyun asked and both women nodded.

 

“It is tragic, but that is the situation. CPS always prefers to leave children in the custody of a relative when the biological parent is unable to care for the child.” Ms. Moore took her seat once again and checked on the baby who was still napping.

 

“Ms. Moore asked me if I could take Junhee in, but with my current health problems I can't handle taking care of a baby. You know that Jihyun, which is why I told Ms. Moore that you can take Junhee in. She's your niece and I know you will do a great job and have all the means to do it.”

 

“What....wait...WHAT?! MOM! YOU KNOW I CAN'T TAKE CARE OF A BABY!” Jihyun screamed in shock and woke up Junhee in the process.

 

“Jihyun-ah! She's your niece!” Jihyun's mom scolded and moved to grab Junhee from the car seat before Ms. Moore could.

 

The older woman grabbed the baby and carried her over to Jihyun while Junhee still wailed in her grandmother's arms. “Look at her Jihyun. She's so adorable.”

 

“MOM!” Jihyun gritted through her teeth. There was no way she could take Junhee and raise her. Was her mom insane?! Of course she knew that her mother wasn't in the best of health, but Jihyun had no idea of how to raise a child, especially a baby.

 

This was insane. Nope. It was not happening. And before she knew it, Junhee was in her arms looking straight up at Jihyun and no longer crying.

 

“She likes you!” Jihyun's mother clapped her hands together and then brought them to rest over her heart. Ms. Moore stood up and smiled at Jihyun giving her the thumbs up.

 

Jihyun looked down at Junhee who was now giving her aunt a toothless smile. Jihyun knew she was screwed. Say hello to motherhood Jihyun.