Dilemma

──the space between us

Note : The academic year in state schools starts at the beginning of March and runs through until mid-July.

Meanwhile, allergy season starts from March in Korea. (Correct me if I'm wrong)


           SOMEHOW I managed to avoid going to Yeonggu's house for several weeks. He also agreed to my idea of doing our project in the library after school. I know that I can't stay away from Wonwoo constantly. My concern was answered when I had to come over to Yeonggu's house three days before the deadline. Yeonggu suddenly fell sick but he insisted on continuing the project. I thought that it was the best to follow his will (though I really don't want to meet Wonwoo) or he would nag me for another one week.

          One time when I forgot to message him that I couldn't come to school because of my spring allergy, he rushed after school to my house while grunting. I tried to defend myself saying that I'll continue working on the project, unfortunately, all I got in return was his emotional vent inserted with aspiring health lecture. Not only that, Yeonggu kept bugging me even in school. He was always checking my condition until I threatened him that I would tell his bad habit of touching guys unknowingly to his girlfriend. Since that day, Yeonggu stopped acting like my mum but he would ask my condition occasionally.

          Actually, it is not bad to have such caring friend, it just...I don't want to burden someone like I did to my parents. If I am indebted, I will try to repay it back. And that's why, currently, I'm on the way to a nearby supermarket to buy ingredients for dinner. And somehow, Wonwoo volunteered to tag along. This made me feel burdened. I don't know his way of thinking. Probably he will make fun of me again. I sighed. 

          Unless he does something dangerous, I will stay quiet...Wait, doesn't that mean... I let him prey me anytime he wants? I shook my head. 

          No, it's bad to misunderstand someone. Maybe I should start a conversation in order to understand him more.

          "What do you like to do in your spare time, Wonwoo?" I tried to ask with the nicest tone I could to Wonwoo who were on my right. The night was rather cold and our footsteps were very obvious. Only a few street lamps were in sight. I wondered why it crept me out though it's only 7 PM, yet, it looked like a dead town. As much as I feel uneasy about Wonwoo, I am grateful that he wanted to accompany me. If not, negative minds will haunt me right now. 

          "Nothing special....Reading, playing games, watching movies...." He answered lazily.

          "I see..." Maybe my question bore him?

          "Ah, and playing with a pet." His statement surprised me. I never see any pets in Jeon's house nor Yeonggu ever told me.

          "Pet? I thought you don't have a pet." 

           "Well, this pet is a lil' bit different. He seemed scared of me but he tried to approach me. How cute." He laughed. I frowned. 

           "What kind-"

           "Oh, look. We have arrived." Wonwoo changed the topic suddenly. I shut my mouth. It's bad to force someone to speak so I shrugged off my negative thinking then continued on shopping. Surprisingly, Wonwoo knew a lot about Yeonggu's likes and dislikes. I guess he's in charge of cooking, considering how lazy Yeonggu can be with house chores.

            "Don't ever feed him carrots or you'll have to clean his vomit," warned Wonwoo, at the same time, poking the carrots as carrots had made him suffer most of the time. I couldn't help but giggle.

            He's kinda cute.

            I had fun laughing off Wonwoo's misery when taking care of Yeonggu. I couldn't imagine Yeonggu was THAT afraid of bugs.

            "He could burn a house down just to exterminate a cockroach. Geez, I am afraid too, however, I would rather killing bugs than having my house being burnt in ten seconds." Wonwoo pouted.

            We arrived back while still laughing. Yeonggu was clueless. We told him that is a secret and immediately prepared for dinner. I admit, Wonwoo is very 'skillful' and passionate about cooking. He cut his finger, burnt a pan, also made quite a mess until I couldn't hold my urge to drive him away from the kitchen. My cooking skill isn't that professional, at least, I have experience. After I finished, I called them. They came in shyly. 

            "Sorry for causing troubles..." Yeonggu stuttered later coughed. 

            "It's okay. You're sick also." I helped Yeonggu to seat on the dining table. 

             "Thanks, Josh. I- WHAT?! CARROTS?" Yeonggu eyed me then Wonwoo.

             I smiled at him, "EAT. It's for your own health." And dropped that fake smile.

             Yeonggu gulped and ate silently. Wonwoo snickered before I stared at his leftover paprika. He knew he would be in trouble so he finished it as soon as possible. I nodded as appreciation. Those brothers kept complaining that they would never ever eat that horrible food again. I chuckled. They looked so much alike both psychically and mentally. Also, I would keep feeding them carrots and paprikas as long as I'm the chef.