Broken, then Saved

Broken, then saved

How many years have I already lived? And out of those years, for how many years I have loved myself, Yoona ponders.

 

25 years, it has been, and she's been living by the motto "Love Despite". She tries to push away the hurt she's ever received; forgive and forget, she tells herself that. But it's been taking a toll on her, she's been loving others, but forgetting to love herself.

 

Since young, she's been always left out of the equation. Her parents loved her, yes, but seemingly much less than others. Her father was willing to defend his family, siblings and parents, from her mother, and vice versa. Yet, none of them seemed to be saving her lost, helpless soul from either of themselves. When her parents fought, she was caught in between. Her father wouldn't speak to anyone, he was fuming mad. Her mother would take it out on her, yell at how messy her room was, how rude she had seemingly been, how she was bound for failure, how she was never enough. When Yoona had problems, she'd never tell her father. He was too busy and stressed from work, she didn't want to burden him with her minor problems about school and life? What were those problems compared to his? She gave up telling her mother, all she'd do was talk about solving but never really take action. Besides, her mother had warped ideas about love, and felt those who were depressed and cut themselves were just dumb and unable to express themselves and too scared to seek for help.

 

As she reached that thought, her finger ran over her skin, as she felt the few rough scars along her arm. Thankfully; she wasn't staying with her parents, she was staying at the dorm today. Who'd knew what her mother would say. To add on, she'd broken up awhile back with Donghae. He loved her, but it just didn't seem to have that spark, it somehow didn't work out. It just seemed that... It didn't matter, whoever she loved. She never seemed to be part of the equation in the first place.

 

"Deep in thought, my dear child? Would you mind sharing?" Yuri walked over as she saw Yoona curl up on the chair in the balcony. "Hmmm? It's nothing really," Yoona mumbled as she quickly hid her arm away from Yuri, but it was too late. Sharp-eyed Yuri caught sight of those scars, and as she looked at Yoona, her eyes were filled with sorrow, not disappointment, but of worry and pain too. "Yoona, I hope you're fine. I would ask more but you seem too tired to explain," Yuri sat down on the armrest of the chair and pat Yoona's head.

 

Yoona sighed; Yuri was her best friend for a reason. She'd know when to push it and when to stop. "Thank you Yuri," Yoona responded and Yuri gave her a hug. "All will turn out fine, believe me. Stay strong for me, will you Yoona?"

 

"Yuri, save me will you? I'm tired and empty...."

 

"I'll save you Yoona. I don't fully understand your predicament till you tell me, but I'll make sure I'll pull you out from that abyss of yours."

 

"Will I be loved Yuri?"

 

"Yoona, I love you, and so do the other 7. You've always said love despite? Now it's our turn, the 8 of us. We'll make sure you are loved despite."