sequel

Maybe, Just Maybe

I'm- this is supposed to be a plotless short sequel, just to have them actually interacting with each other sort of? But...it turned out longer than I thought. Beta'd by the lovely Shan, thank you. Enjoy, and critism is greatly welcomed!

 

***

 

It started with the random meet ups, and forced lunch dates (not that Myungsoo is complaining, either).

 

It's Saturday. Myungsoo is on his bed, curled up under the warm blanket, one hand holding a book as he reads. The phone buzzed once- twice, before Myungsoo begins rummaging through the entangled sheets to look for it.

 

From: Woohyun

We're having lunch together, meet me at the usual place.

 

Myungsoo smiles at the phone screen. A Chinese restaurant located at the edge of the street, near the junction where both of them often pass by, had become their usual spot. He scrolls to the next message.

 

From: Woohyun

At 12!! You're dead if you come late.

 

His eyes flickered at the digital time displayed on his phone. 11:24am. Quickly, he rushes into the shower, almost tripping on his way, and somehow later manages to arrive infront of the restaurant exactly at 12. Woohyun's smile (Myungsoo thinks it radiates warmth because his heart feels all mushy inside) greets him as he makes his way to his seat. "Hi." Myungsoo breathes (almost breathless it makes him think if dragons could choke on cotton candy because Woohyun, to him, is somewhat like a cotton candy). Light talks and clanking of spoons fill up the atmosphere. They talk about Woohyun's favorite band, about the book Myungsoo last read, about how Woohyun had scraped his knee when he was seven and how Myungsoo wanted to be a police when he was nine. Myungsoo had always liked this kind of conversation; light and calm, unhurried conversation. He likes it even more because it's Woohyun.

 

Another Saturday rolls around.

 

From: Woohyun

Meet me at the park at 5 o'clock. 

 

To: Woohyun

The park? Why?

 

From: Woohyun

I'll bring kites. 

 

Myungsoo had always liked this unpredictable side of Woohyun (Woohyun to Myungsoo is like a fascinating book; and every time you flip open the cover, a different story comes out). Myungsoo's brows furrowed as he types up his response.

 

To: Woohyun

But I don't even know how to fly one.

 

From: Woohyun

It's okay, I'm the pro here.

 

Myungsoo laughed.

 

To: Woohyun

See you then!

 

The sun's still out when Myungsoo reaches the park. He sits on the bench, letting the sun soak his skin. It's nice, the warmth. Myungsoo then sees Woohyun approaching him with two kites in hand, tucked securely under his arm. Myungsoo breaks into a smile. Woohyun is endearing, Myungsoo can see how excited he is. Myungsoo thinks the whole stardust population decides to reside in Woohyun's eyes because they're unrealistically shining and Myungsoo is helplessly falling.

 

"Hi." Woohyun giggles, and Myungsoo has to rethink if there is anything cuter than it. "Here are the kites." Woohyun passes one of the kites to Myungsoo. "I didn't think you'd actually own a kite." Myungsoo chuckles. They're decent, the kites. One is of a white sheet, and another is in emerald green. Both has the same printed design on them. Myungsoo isn't a fan of anything extravagant, he prefers simplicity. But Woohyun is complex and extravagant and anything but overwhelming to Myungsoo.

 

Woohyun unwinds the string, inches further and further from Myungsoo. He probably has the skeptical look on his face because Woohyun then half shouts, "I know what I'm doing, I'm telling you i'm the pro here." Myungsoo laughs, though he's very least assured still. The wind blows and Woohyun makes a run for it, raising the kite up high. He stops halfway though, shoulders drooping with an automatic pout carving on his lips. Myungsoo knows he shouldn't laugh but he can't help it. The kite won't fly. Myungsoo laughs again. "So...I thought you said you're a pro? What happened to that?" Woohyun huffed. His hands busy unwinding the tangled strings once again, and Myungsoo helps. "This time it will fly, you'll see." Woohyun says with the same intensity of determination as before, as if unwavered. So Myungsoo simply nods. It doesn't fly, so does the other kite, they didn't fly at Myungsoo's rather pointless attempts, too. Both of them are sweating now, chugging down the cold water that Woohyun had ran to buy earlier. The earthy smell is strong that Myungsoo feels like it'll stick on their jeans. He turns to Woohyun, "Honestly, you don't seem the least bit like the pro you claimed to be." Woohyun takes another sip. "That's because I'm not, I can't believe you actually believed that." This time, it's Woohyun's turn to laugh. Myungsoo rolls his eyes, chuckling, "Why the heck did you even come up with flying kites then?" They both stare at the falling leaves, as if they're dancing by themselves to a tune neither of them could hear, whenever the wind blows a little too strong. Myungsoo's heart races when he hears the answer. "Firstly, kites do sound like a load of fun though I'm never going near one again. And honestly, I just wanted to see you."

 

 

 

It is again on Saturday that he receives a text from Woohyun.

 

From: Woohyun

I have soccer practice at 6, wanna come?

 

 

 

Honestly, Myungsoo has zero interest in soccer or any sports for that matter, but it's Woohyun- and everything about Woohyun intrigues him to no end. And so, there he is at the side of the field, sitting with his legs crossed, mindlessly pulling at the grass. It's a small team, having practices like this probably once in two weeks, and once in awhile they'll be invited to a friendly match against another neighborhood team. "Hey!" Myungsoo lifts up his head and sees Woohyun calling out to him from across the field, as he jogs slowly towards Myungsoo. Myungsoo was about to get up on his feet, but he freezes the moment he feels Woohyun's hand ruffling his hair. He looks up and he could feel his heart fluttering at the sight of Woohyun beaming at him. "You came." Myungsoo chuckles, "Yeah, I came." "Well, they're starting now." Woohyun said, glancing over at his teammates. "Let's get ice cream after." Woohyun adds, before he jogs back to where his teammates are doing stretching, his palm meeting Hoya's in a high five. 

 

Myungsoo remembers Hoya; apparently he plays on the same team as Woohyun and Myungsoo watches as the two goof around. Woohyun had told Myungsoo once that his bestfriends no longer live in Seoul, except Hoya (which, to Myungsoo, explains the forced lunch dates, but again, not that Myungsoo is complaining). Sunggyu got hired by a big company from Japan just two weeks after graduation and had moved there. Dongwoo, who Myungsoo had no idea had majored in medicine back then, was recently transferred to a hospital in Busan while doing his practical.

 

He watches quietly as Woohyun runs after the ball, occasionally attempting to shoot and in the end managing to score twice. He watches as Woohyun passes the ball swiftly to his teammates. Myungsoo figures that soccer makes Woohyun happy (judging by the glow on his face as he closes in on the ball, or the way he smiles so wide when his shot makes it into the goal, or the way his eyes twinkle like 5 year-olds on Christmas morning the entire time he's on the field); and somehow, it makes Myungsoo happy too.

 

Later that evening, they watch the sun sink into the horizon as they walk along the bridge, both with a cone of ice cream in hand. He looks over to Woohyun, who looks slightly like an angel as the remaining lights from the sun falls over them, illuminating half his face. Myungsoo had always loved sunsets and sunrises, he loves the sky gradient that comes with it (he thinks Woohyun is like those color gradients; ethereally beautiful, in a way he didn't seem fit in this flawed world, yet he looks as if he belongs- the epitome of perfectly imperfect). They walk as they exchange very few words, with pools of comfortable silence wrapping around them (both lost in their own thoughts, captivated by the view that is infront of them or as Myungsoo would like to think, simply appreciating each others' presence). Myungsoo isn't a man of many words, therefore he really appreciates how the silence around them is always the comfortable sort of one.

 

 

 

Myungsoo's phone rings on a Friday night.

 

"Hello?" Myungsoo picks up, more confused if not, liking it.

 

"Hey, do you have anything planned tomorrow?" Woohyun's voice sounds soothing. Myungsoo breaks a smile.

 

"Um, why?" He pauses. "I do, actually." He mentally gives himself a kick; he could've just said he's free and forward his plan to another weekend. Myungsoo buries his face in his hand, groaning internally. He had intended for a trip to the seaside, to take some photos there (just a little hobby he had let himself on, and it kind of provides him inspiration for his writing).

 

"Oh." Myungsoo thinks it's disappointment that he hears in Woohyun's voice, and he's not so sure but he hates it.

 

"Do you, uh, wanna come with me?" He shrugs, cheeks burning up against his will (he feels stupid because Woohyun is not even there, and yet-)

 

"Yes!!!" Woohyun almost shouts. "Yes, I'd love to."

 

Myungsoo chuckles, "Okay then, see you tomorrow." 

 

The next morning, Myungsoo waits for Woohyun at the bus stop. Autumn was almost leaving and the temperature had started to drop. He has a maroon scarf wrapped comfortably around his neck, both hands stuffed into the pocket of the black coat he was wearing, a camera slung on one shoulder. He kicks lightly at the pavement while waiting for Woohyun, and the bus. Woohyun arrives a second before the bus closes its door and drive away. "I'm late, aren't I? Let's go." Woohyun smiles, pulling on Myungsoo's arm as they hop onto the bus. There aren't many passengers on the bus; a couple who seems to be on a date, an old woman who carries a plastic bag full of vegetables and four middle school kids chatting excitedly about a new video game that was just released last week. They choose to sit at the back of the bus. Myungsoo then talks about his hobby, showing Woohyun a few shots he had taken from his last trip. The location had been a lake, somewhere near his hometown. And Woohyun might've complimented Myungsoo way more than Myungsoo thinks he deserves, but he finds it endearing anyway; he finds Woohyun endearing. 

 

Forty minutes into the journey, the scenery of the sea starts occupying their view. The bus halts to a stop once they reach their destination. They get off at a bus stop, small enough that it could be overlooked, but close enough to the sea that the breeze tastes salty. Myungsoo lunged forward when Woohyun suddenly grabs him by the arm and starts running towards the beach. It's empty, the beach, as large and ominous, it brings some sort of serenity to Myungsoo. And Myungsoo can see that it's the same for Woohyun, too. The water is cobalt, rather than the shimmering blue it always is during summer, and Myungsoo finds himself liking this shade better. They wander aimlessly, inching towards the water and stepping away when the waves ripple. Myungsoo's hands automatically reaches his camera, snapping shots after shots. He originally wanted to photograph the sea, yet his focus has shifted to Woohyun. "I can't remember the last time I came to the sea." Woohyun says, in between light laughter, and Myungsoo would do anything to make sure Woohyun never lose his laugh. "My mom loves the sea, so I came here alot ever since I was a kid." Myungsoo replies. He smiles as he takes another shot, of Woohyun arranging tiny shells on the sand. He squats down with Woohyun and focuses on the shells instead, they're pretty. Myungsoo brings the camera to his eye, he goes back to focusing on Woohyun. Woohyun looks up and smiles at the camera and Myungsoo could only think of one word; hypnotic, Woohyun's smile is hypnotic. Myungsoo has always been amazed at how perfectly imperfect Woohyun is, and it's quaint and charming nevertheless.

 

Woohyun ends up dragging Myungsoo to different food stalls and places in the vicinity Myungsoo didn't know existed. Like that stone bridge that goes over a river. Or that mystical sea cave that looks as if it came out from a movie. By the time the sun sets, both of them were exhausted. They sat on the beach, letting the sand seep inbetween their toes. It's too cold for a swim but warm enough to let the waves bubble at their feet. "This is nice." Woohyun says, leaning backward, letting his head fall back with both his palms grounded into the sand. Myungsoo took the chance to snap one last photo. "Let's go, or we'll miss the last bus." Myungsoo stands up, he gently brushes off the sand that stuck onto the back of his pants. Woohyun pouts slightly, he stands up anyway. "We can come again next time, if you want." Myungsoo reassures, and Woohyun's eyes crinkles in an instant.

 

 

They managed to catch the last bus back to Seoul.

 

Myungsoo fell asleep somewhere inbetween the light vibrating sound of the engine and the stars that are barely visible and the smell of Woohyun (of the sea and fresh soap, of faint vanilla and red beans). He doesn't stir when Woohyun's hand snatches his camera away, nor does he budge at the sound of the shutter clicking a few times. Woohyun is not the best when it comes to dealing with cameras, especially the kinds that are like Myungsoo's. But he managed to take a photo of them, with Myungsoo's head resting on Woohyun's shoulder, his lips curling up into a small smile. He also takes a few shots of Myungsoo sleeping and the empty bus. Myungsoo notices it only a week later, when he goes to have the photos printed. He probably has the biggest smile on his face for the rest of the day.

 

 

 

 

After weeks of being hesitant and unsure, Myungsoo decides to finally confess his feelings to Woohyun. He had found the perfect spot (it's the rooftop of an abandoned building, with it a perfect view of the city skyline from afar). He had called Woohyun earlier that evening and told him to wait infront of the building. However, the weather that night isn't exactly cooperative but it was already too late to cancel his plan. That is how Myungsoo had found Woohyun- in a thick white sweater and a blue scarf covering half his face (Myungsoo might've thought he looked cute, too), shivering infront of the building, occasionally breathing hot air into his gloved hands to warm himself up. "Hi." Myungsoo says, almost whispering. He isn't so sure, if the beads of sweat breaking out on his face or the slight trembles on his fingers are somehow because of the dropping temperature or if he is simply nervous. He's pretty sure though, that it's the latter.

 

Woohyun's eyes lights up at the sound of Myungsoo's voice, before his gaze drops on Myungsoo's hands. "It's so cold out, why aren't you wearing gloves? Are you just stupid or really stupid?" Woohyun shakes his head (mostly to himself) before he then grabs both Myungsoo's hands, rubbing his own hands against them. Myungsoo simply stares as Woohyun breathes hot air into his hands in an attempt to warm them. With just one little gesture, Myungsoo's heart is already threatening to jump out of his body. "What is it that you wanted to show me?" Woohyun asks. And having not trusts his own voice at that time, Myungsoo decided to simply pull Woohyun's arms and guide him to the rooftop. They stand on the railing, Woohyun's hands still firmly holding Myungsoo's and every so often he would rub them together (although Myungsoo wanted to tell Woohyun that it feels as if every drop of blood had drained from his body everytime he does that). He shifts his attention to something else instead and gazes over the city lights, the view is somewhat mesmerizing (shadows from the mountains stood in contrast with the lights from the high-rise buildings, which shimmers and twinkles every so often). "It's beautiful, isn't it? It looks like an endless trail of tiny lights." Myungsoo says as he turns to look at Woohyun, who had been quiet ever since they came up. 

 

"You shine, just like all those pretty lights in the sky, only brighter- you wrote it, right? I think I remember seeing it somewhere." Woohyun chuckles. Myungsoo is sure (he hopes) Woohyun doesn't notice the furious blush on his cheeks. He hadn't expected Woohyun to remember little things like that. Myungsoo clears his throat, "I..have something to tell you." Woohyun turns to face Myungsoo. Myungsoo, suddenly aware of how close his face is to Woohyun's, blushes even harder (he didn't even know his skin could turn that red). He gulps once, "I, actually..I..." He gulps twice. "I..." He didn't get to finish his sentence because Woohyun then leans in, and started kissing him and Myungsoo's lips burn and his heart is on fire. He didn't realize when but the snow had started falling. When they are both out of breaths, their foreheads touching, Woohyun whispers. "I know." Later, just as they are heading back, Myungsoo couldn't help but notice how red Woohyun's cheeks were, how pink his lips were, how flustered he had looked, and- the tiny snowflake clinging at the tip of Woohyun's nose. He might've already known this a few years back too; but he loves Woohyun (every side of him, every nook, every part of him- even the ones he has yet to discover).