Chapter 3

Roommate

Madison was allowed home the next day. She asked her manager if she could return to her own apartment instead of the roommate house. She claimed it was so that she could properly rest, but in reality, it was because of Jungkook. The kiss constantly ran through her head as she ignored the movie she had put on the TV in an attempt to distract herself.

 

Her fingers traced her lips as she remembered the feeling of his lips against hers. If only I could hold onto that feeling instead of thinking about his reaction. Why did he react like that? Was he just messing with me? Did he just get caught up in the moment? Or is it because of all the teasing? Did he just want to try it out? And why did he say all those things before? He goes from saying that he wants me to tell him everything, to kissing me, to running away from me. I seriously don’t understand.

 

Thoughts like these and a million more kept swirling through her head. After four days, her manager was convinced that she was more than well enough to return to the roommate house. She arrived home to a welcome back party. All of the roommate members were there, including Jungkook. She discovered that every time she looked at him it felt like she was being punched in the chest. So she done her best to avoid him without making it obvious that she was avoiding him. People would notice if they just suddenly stopped talking.

 

The party lasted late into the night before everyone finally went back to their own rooms. Madison stayed behind and cleaned up a little. She had no schedules for the next couple of days so she didn’t mind staying up a little later. Plus since the incident with Jungkook, she hadn’t been sleeping well. She took the used glasses down to the kitchen and started washing them. She heard someone behind her and saw Jungkook standing in the doorway. He froze when he saw her.

 

She turned away from him, returning her attention to the glasses in front of her. She scrubbed them with a little more force than was necessary. The tight, unpleasant feeling settling in her chest again as she heard him shuffling around behind her. She tensed when she heard him approach her side. He noticed the sudden tensing of her shoulders. “Nuna, I-.” she cut him off before he could speak. She pointed to their microphones and shook her head. Jungkook looked around as he remembered about the cameras that recorded their every movement and word. He sighed loudly and put his hand over his microphone. “Kakao.” He whispered before he disappeared out of her sight.

 

She relaxed once she heard his footsteps disappear from the kitchen. Who does he think he is to just demand I go and talk to him when it suits him? Why didn’t he message me when I was at home for those four days? She thought angrily. She glared at the dishes, deciding that she would purposely not check her phone. She felt her phone vibrate in her pocket and ignored it as she took her time washing the rest of the dishes. Once they were done, she took her time tidying up the rest of the living room. Making sure everything was back in its proper place and all of the recyclables were organised. Her phone vibrated several more times, but she refused to check it.

 

Half an hour later, Jungkook stalked out of his room while she was rearranging the cushions on the sofa for the third time. He forced a smile on his face, “Nuna~” he said, like nothing had happened between them. “I’m hungry and Jackson hyung is already asleep. Let’s go get some barbeque!” he said, she turned to him with an incredulous look before she realised what he was up to. He’s purposely doing this in front of the cameras so that I have to go out with him! The fly little ! She plastered a smile on her face. “Ok, let’s go.”

 

Because of the late hour, the filming crew were already asleep. Their orders in these types of circumstances were to keep their microphones on, and to take a small video camera with them to record their activities. Madison kept her scowl to a minimum as she pulled on her shoes and jacket and went out to her car, not bothering to check and see if Jungkook was following her.

 

When they were in the car, Jungkook ensured that the car’s camera was turned off. As she pulled out of the driveway, he detached his microphone and turned it off. He looked at her pointedly, but she kept her eyes on the road in front of her. When they finally pulled up outside of a barbeque restaurant, she went to open her door but he grabbed her arm. “If you don’t take off the microphone, I’m still gonna talk. It’s your choice.” He said, hoping that he sounded braver than he felt. She pulled her arm out of his grasp and took off her microphone with a sigh, ensuring it was turned off.

 

“What is it Jungkook?” she asked, her voice laced with steel. Jungkook frowned at her tone. He wasn’t used to her talking to him this way, but he knew he deserved it. “Nuna. I want to apologise for what happened at the hospital.” He said quietly. Her hands fisted in her lap. “You already did. Can we go now?” she felt the familiar burn of tears in her eyes. “Nuna, please.” He pleaded. She turned away from him, knowing that if she looked at him now she’d give in to the tears.

 

He reached forward and tried to take her hand in his but she pulled her hand away from him. He looked at her with a pained expression and she tried to steel herself. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “You said it yourself. That kiss…” she felt embarrassed over the simple word as she continued, “It shouldn’t have happened. You didn’t mean it, right?” she bit her lip, begging the tears to not fall until she was alone.

 

“No, nuna! Please don’t misunderstand me!” he said as he once again reached for her hand, this time when she tried to pull away, he didn’t let go. “Let me go, Jungkook.” She said quietly, her voice cold. “No, not until you listen to me!” he half yelled startling them both. She turned to face him in shock. She was surprised to see that his eyes were red.

 

“Nuna… Madison. Please just hear me out. The reason I wanted to apologise is I shouldn’t have kissed you in that situation.” She turned away from him. Why does it feel like we’re breaking up? She thought as she wiped away a stray tear that escaped from her eye, while Jungkook continued talking. “I felt so guilty because you were sick and I suddenly done something like that without taking your feelings into consideration first. I’m new to the whole love thing and I was so worried about you when I couldn’t wake you up. Then you finally woke up and I was just so relieved. Do you know how hard it was to not just throw my arms around you and hug you right there and then?”

 

Madison slowly turned back to face Jungkook as he poured his heart out to her. “I’ve had feelings for you for the longest time, but I’ve never confessed to a girl before. I don’t even know if you have those types of feelings for me but to just suddenly force myself on you like that… I’m a horrible person.” His gaze dropped to the floor. He felt vulnerable after exposing his feelings. She took a minute to process everything he had said.

 

“So…” she thought carefully before continuing. “So you're not sorry because you kissed me? You’re sorry because of the timing?” she asked carefully. He nodded, his gaze still on the floor. She sighed, “Why didn’t you message me or talk to me while I was resting at home?” she asked. “Jin hyung told me that I should give you some space after what I done. I’ve never seen him so angry before.” He risked a glance back up at her, glad to see that she didn’t seem angry.

 

“I know I’ve probably made a huge mess out of everything with everything that’s happened but Madison nuna, I need to tell you that I like you. A lot.” He confessed, a small blush on his face. Madison let out a small chuckle, her grip on his hand tightening. “Despite everything that’s happened, I like you too Jungkook.” She admitted. His head snapped around to face her. “Really?” he asked, his voice hopeful. She nodded, a small smile on her face. A big grin appeared on his face he started to lean forward but stopped. “Nuna, can I kiss you?” she chuckled and nodded.

 

His hand cupped her cheek as he pulled her closer. Their lips met for the second time. Their lips moved slowly against each other’s, Jungkook's movements hesitant from his inexperience. Their kiss eventually ended, Jungkook's hand staying on her cheek, his thumb absentmindedly the side of her face. He grinned at her, “That was amazing.” He breathed. She couldn’t help but chuckle at his reaction. She placed another quick peck on his lips, “We should get back.” She said as she pointed at the cars clock. Jungkook nodded and reluctantly pulled back to his own seat as they reattached their microphones. Before they could turn them on he grabbed her hand, suddenly nervous. “So, does this mean that we’re boyfriend girlfriend now?” he asked.

 

“Do you want to be?” she asked and he nodded enthusiastically. She smiled at him and linked their hands together. “Then we are.” She said with a grin. “Should we tell the others or keep it secret?” he asked as she started driving back towards the roommate house. She shrugged. “If think if we tell them they might implode with happiness. You know they have a betting pool set up on whether or not we get together, right?” Jungkook's jaw dropped. “They do?!”

 

She laughed, “Yeah, I caught Jackson and GookJu talking about it ages ago. All of the roommates are in on it. Half the staff are as well.” Jungkook swore, “We should get someone to place bets on our behalf and split the winnings.” Madison smiled at him, “I like how you think.” They exchanged grins as they made their way back to the roommate house.

 

When they finally arrived back they sat in the car for a moment. Neither one wanting to return to their camera filled home just yet. Jungkook looked around to make sure that no one was around before pulling Madison in for a quick kiss. “I think I could get addicted to this.” She said against his lips. He grinned, “So could I.” Their moment was interrupted by someone loudly clearing their throat outside of the car. They looked out of the windscreen to see a widely grinning Jackson. They exchanged looks. “Busted.” Jungkook said with a grin before they both burst out laughing.