Kyuhyun

The Yeoldasos

 

Yesung was in the library when Kyuhyun came to find him. “Hyung, time to go for the Council meeting.”

The Sage looked up, a surprised look on his face. “Doesn’t Shindong usually go?”

Kyuhyun shook his head. “Everybody gets to go this time, hyung. Even Ayame-sshi will be there.”

Yesung cocked his head to the side, apparently thinking. “But isn’t she supposed to be on patrol this time?”
 
The maknae was getting impatient. Sometimes Yesung-hyung asked too many questions, even the painfully obvious ones. “Yes, yes, everything’s been taken care of. Now we have to hurry – it’s taken me long enough to find you.”
 
If truth be known, Yesung had no love for the Society outside of the Sage Havens. He’d been a Yeoldasos for years, but he could never subscribe to the Council’s decision-making that wasn’t a product of sound thinking. But the Elite were another matter. Even with all the guys’ quirks, he’d come to consider them brothers, more closer to him than the other sage monks he called brothers. And it still wasn’t about where he was, or where he was now…his dislike of the Council go way back. That the Council was now composed of the very same people who made his life hell back in Slayer Academy was enough to set him off, sage training notwithstanding.
 
That Ayame apparently had the same experience was enough for Yesung to have a soft spot for her. Digging through her history, he was finding out he liked her more and more, as a kindred spirit. She was also unique. So he tolerated the Council in favor of ensuring that the Yeoldasos could effectively carry out their assignment where she was concerned.
 
Kyuhyun, on the other hand, had no concerns over the Council or the Society. He does what his hyungs tell him to do, he goes where they tell him to go. That he was part of the second pair undergoing revamp already had him up to his neck coping with Eunhyuk’s training regimen. The monkey-hyung could be a joker at times but he was known to run a tight routine. Oh, he’d trained with Eunhyuk and Saru a couple of times but he knew it was nothing more than a paltry attempt at playing. He’d seen how the hyungs had true teamwork. Which wasn’t to say that he didn’t participate but he was always the third wheel, and the last one in. And it had become boring lately. So he was all for the new rookie moving in. At least it evened out the Yeoldasos, and ended his days as the “one” in the seven pairs and one configuration. Now there would be eight pairs, a more formidable team. And the ideal balance, a state of things which went well with him.
 
If only the rookie could keep up with the Elite.
 
While he did not care about the Council or the Society, he did care about the talents and abilities that comprise the team. He’d been through this once when Henry and Zhoumi joined them, but it was easy to cope with them as they came in as a team, partners already for many years. Integrating them was easy enough. But like Yesung, Kyuhyun found nothing in Ayame’s profile that would remotely suggest that she could keep up with the demand of being a Yeoldasos. She had her moments of brilliance though, if her record could be believed, as well as being chummy with a friendly daemon dog – apparently the only underworld creature enjoying privileged status in the Society.
 
It struck him funny though, for the team to still be called the Yeoldasos now that they would be sixteen. But until Ayame proved worthy to be in the Elite, the Yeoldasos would remain the fifteen.
 
>>>
 
“Why are the Yeoldasos initiating a pairs change?” Master Verlaine’s voice echoed through the cavernous Council Hall.
 
Ayame watched as Shindong remained standing, speaking for the group. “We had determined that partnering both rookies will not be to the team’s advantage, milords.”
 
“But Kyuhyun has already gained seniority with his years of experience in the team. Surely he qualifies to lead the partnership.” Madame Teilani pointed out.
 
Diplomatic Shindong nodded in deference. “Senior as a slayer and elite madam, but most definitely not where teams are concerned. While there has been no lack of opportunities for Kyuhyun to show his skills, he has been, up until now, everyone’s backup – a very reliable teammate, but not a true partner. I have no doubt that he will have no difficulty adjusting to training with Eunhyuk, but we do prefer to ensure that Kyuhyun has no difficulty being in a pair, before he is given responsibility to handle a rookie in the future.”
 
So that was the reason behind the change. Her original orders did say she was to report to Kyuhyun, but Leeteuk had it changed and later informed her to report to Donghae.
 
“Would you have no problem with this, Kyuhyun?” Master Kito asked.
 
Kyuhyun had to blink, surprised to be directly addressed. He stood up and bowed before answering. “I have no problem with the assignment, revered Council. I concur with the wisdom with which the hyungs have discerned an opportunity most advantageous for me.”
 
No matter the grave seriousness of the situation, Ryeowook and Eunhyuk were trying hard not to titter at the back. They have never seen Kyuhyun this serious. Though known to have a glib tongue, they’ve never heard him speak so formally either.
 
“But may I ask why, among the Yeoldasos, why is it Donghae that is assigned her partner?” There was an edge to Master Sano’s voice.
 
For this, Donghae himself stood up and bowed to the Council before answering.
 
“Eunhyuk has been my partner for years. Yet even before Ayame’s assignment to the Yeoldasos, Eunhyuk and I have already discussed his temporary partnership with Kyuhyun to allow Kyuhyun and the dragons an opportunity to work with a partner. Among us, only Eunhyuk and Saru has the most experience working with twin familiars, so he was the ideal candidate to be working with Kyuhyun and the twin dragons. Ayame’s addition to the team came at the most opportune moment – since the team rookies needed seniors to be their mentor, Eunhyuk and I agreed to undertake the training.” Then steel crept into his voice as he continued. “And considering you assigned a B-level slayer to us, I would be obliged to use my dreamwalking abilities as part of the training.”
 
“But you are certainly aware of why dreamwalking was never allowed for cross-gender partners?” Madame Teilani asked pointedly. Everyone noted Yesung whispering something to Donghae before Donghae answered.
 
“Apparently, it shouldn’t be a problem for Ayame.” He turned around to look at her before continuing. “It seems she has already gone through dreamwalking at least once. If the other dreamwalker had done a proper job of it, Ayame would have been taught how to put the necessary defenses in place so that it would not matter who dreamwalks with her next.”
 
That was news to the Council, though not for Master Verlaine. “Ah, yes. I seem to recall Ayame’s slayer buddy Takayama is a dreamwalker, too. Still, at that time, she was nowhere near your level, Donghae. Just how effective would the defenses she taught be?”
 
Donghae smiled this time. “I have worked with Takayama. Even if she was still a student at that time, she would have been already taught well by her clan regarding the use of her dreamwalking abilities. I have confidence she would not have allowed Ayame to be left vulnerable to it.”
 
The Council was quiet, mulling over the events of the day.
 
“If there are no more questions from the Council, then I move to approve the new assignments for Eunhyuk and Kyuhyun, and Donghae and Ayame. Regular progress reporting to Leeteuk, as usual. Good luck guys, and do your best.” Master Verlaine said. A chorus of ayes seconded his motion.
 
Ayame had been about to turn away, to fetch Dusky in the waiting room before they went home, when Zhoumi and Henry came bounding up to her.
 
“Hey, good luck for being our new rookie. And welcome to the Yeoldasos.” They both shook her hand, sincere about that greeting.
 
Well, Ayame thought, at least there were two people who welcomed her. The rest of the group just filed by her, promptly ignoring her now that the Council Meeting was over.

 


__________________
© higashinoumi (http://www.asianfanfics.com/profile/view/1108258), 2012-2016. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to higashinoumi (http://www.asianfanfics.com/profile/view/1108258) with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.