Drabble

Color me golden

Jimin has struggled a lot to be where he is now, he has endured countless tests and years of preparation to finally join the world’s best Academy, developing the brightest young man and woman to face whatever enemies they might encounter out there in the void.

 

The ranking system well-known, praised and constantly being reminded, a band wrapped tightly around your arm, a walking sign for everyone to see how high or low you belong to. Colors to shape who you are and how far you’re gonna get, you start at the bottom just as you join, which by itself it’s already an arduous task, blue, beginner or the worst, call it what you please, but there are still people holding the sky color for over five years now, and even when you can be considered the best of the population, in here you are scum.

 

Then you have your in-betweens, the average and slightly above, it goes as yellow, green, red and black, already a champion in the eyes of the Academy, if you get yourself as high as a black rank, you might be dining with the President, very few had the capability of doing it so. And even fewer, you could actually count using one hand, ever reached the golden rank, the most important, most prestigious, you were untouchable, you were unbroken, most acclaimed person on the planet, yet you were lonely.

 

Like Namjoon, latest golden achievement of the Academy, pride of the world, but deep inside his heart ached every time he had to step in that podium and make a speech in front of his fellow comrades, welcoming the new arrivals and congratulating the ones who have managed to up their ranks. Jimin could see the sadness in his eyes as others saw only strength in them, and for the briefest of moments his wishes of becoming as important himself, trembled as his steady legs turned into jelly under the fierce gaze of the golden man.