NINE

Bitter Memory Lane

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7EQNiNPoxvtp9aFSwl34    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNgyx9uuO_E_skqIaZKzk  images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7EQNiNPoxvtp9aFSwl34

Chapter 009

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHThFlJGPApNykTVQNvYT

✥ Kyujong pulled at his necktie as he got into the elevator, ready to head to his office floor after making sure there would be no more complaints from the body of tourists. He sighed as the elevator slowly climbed its way up. Once he got to the correct floor a moment of realization crossed his mind—he just remembered Youngsaeng was waiting for him—and he hurried to the room. Slowly he open the door to his room, making sure he wouldn’t scare Youngsaeng for whatever reason. But instead to his surprise he found Youngsaeng nowhere to be seen. Though the absent man’s luggage was clearly sitting at the scene and by the couch.

Kyujong attempt to look for Youngsaeng in the room but the ringing of his phone beat him to it. Once his phone was in hand, he noticed the caller was Sungyeol, who was supposed to be finishing up the deal with the newest customers. “Yeah?” He quickly took the call as he continued to observe the room for a Youngsaeng.

“President, you need to come down here!” In Sungyeol’s background, all Kyujong could hear was crying and screaming.

“What now?”

“It’s a guest...I, I think the kid had an allergic reaction to-to the food hurry—” Sungyeol’s call was cut off immediately afterwards. Kyujong let out a heavy sigh before shutting the door and making his way back down the hall. Meanwhile Youngsaeng, who was lying down on the couch sat up,

“Kyujong? Oh?”

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHThFlJGPApNykTVQNvYT

Kyujong noticed the crowd in the dining room, then as he grew closer to the group he noticed it was one of the tourists. A woman was hovering over the unconscious child as the elder who was in charge of the group stood nearby. Sungyeol, who too was confused at what to do, was seen standing nervously with some other employees. “What are you guys doing standing around being useless?” Kyujong barked the moment he saw the scene.

“Please help my child! He must have eaten something wrong!” The woman cried.

Sungyeol made the first eye contact with Kyujong and spoke, “W-we tried to call an ambulance but she wouldn’t let us, she said she won’t have enough money to pay for the transportation bill,”

“Then why didn’t you drive the child instead? You always brag about your superb driving skills yet you sit here as if driving is a new thing to you?” Kyujong asked with a heavy tone before stepping in, “If you’re worried about money don’t be, let me take your child to the hospital it would be faster than to call for an ambulance,” Kyujong said to the sobbing woman.

“You better keep your words, if this child dies here then you’ll be responsible for it, I’ll make sure of it!” the older said.

Without waiting for the woman’s permission to move the kid, he slid his hands and arms under the small boy and lifted him up. Kyujong then walked out with the crowd following him slowly, meanwhile the woman fell only a few steps short behind him.

“Bring that child back here! If you drive fast you’ll get pulled over! An ambulance would be faster and more trustworthy!” The older screamed.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHThFlJGPApNykTVQNvYT

From the office window, Youngsaeng noticed as Kyujong gently set the child in and allowed the woman to jump into the backseat of the car as well before he shut the door. Then he noticed as Kyujong got into the driver’s seat and briefly took off.

It was one of those expression Kyujong once wore a long time ago.

It was on a very hot day. Kyujong and Youngsaeng were on their way to Kyujong’s place for a group project. It was when they heard the screaming and crying of a woman, a familiar woman. Kyujong and Youngsaeng found Kyujong’s mother crying as they approached a collapsed building. A few people were huddled around but no one really did anything special. “Mom?” Kyujong called once they could see the scene before them. Youngsaeng who had been talking wore a faded smile on his face as they face it together. Before Youngsaeng knew it, Kyujong realized something and ran toward the scene.

“Mom! Kyuwoon!” Kyujong called as he dropped down beside his mother, the scene before him horrifying him. Youngsaeng head over, curious to what was happening.

Kyujong’s storage shelter had collapsed for whatever reason and half of his younger brother’s body was stuck under the bricks as he lie awake and still. Kyujong’s mother had her hand clapped with the boy as he stared toward the sky, before seeing Kyujong’s face.

“Kyuwoon are you okay?” Kyujong asked, afraid for the life of his brother’s.

“Big brother..., it hurts….” The younger said.

Kyujong examined the condition of the boy and noticed his right leg was poking out from under the broken part of the ceiling, but pierced through his shin was a construction nail. “Mom, mom did you call for an ambulance?” Kyujong asked with a shaky tone and eyes.

“I want to, but the cost—”

“The cost? Mom can you not worry about money right now? Can’t you see Kyuwoon is suffering?!” Kyujong snapped unexpectedly.

“You think I’ve been crying because I’m not scared?! If money problems arroses do you know what will happen?! Oh my poor soul! My poor Kyuwoon!” The woman balled her eyes out as she grasped the teen’s hand.

“Then, then help me get these rocks off him. I’ll carry him to the hospital—” As Kyujong attempt to move the bricks, his younger brother let out a hard cry.

“It hurts, big brother don’t move them, it hurts like I’m going to die,” his younger sibling uttered.

“Kyuwoon, I have to carry you to the hospital so I need to remove these—”

“Can’t you hear he said it hurts! Why are you hurting him more?” Their mother cried in agony.

Frustration grew on Kyujong.

“Kyujong I’ve already called for help. About the money my family will take care of it, just make sure your brother stay awake,” Youngsaeng said on the side. Kyujong could only blocked the burning sun from his brother’s face as the sun heat them up. Kyujong put his head down, ashamed he couldn’t do more for his brother.

Kyujong looked up as the doctor came out of the room to deliver the message regarding the child. The child’s mom, who had been shaking also approached the man in the white coat. “How is he doctor?” Kyujong asked once he stood to meet the man’s eye level.

“It’s nothing to worry about, he just had an allergic reaction. Please make sure he doesn’t consume shrimp again. It looked like he ate a lot so him losing conscious had to do with that,”

“Alright, can his mother go in to see him?”

“Yes, he’s awake and is fine now,”

“Thank you,” Kyujong said. As the doctor took his leave, the woman and Kyujong hurried into the room where she called out his name and ran to his side.

“Oh my Taegoon, you’re awake, you’re awake my child,” she said, clutching the boy’s head against her chest.

“Mom,” the boy called. As Kyujong’s presence wasn’t needed, he quickly back out and decided to take the time to pay the bills. On his way to the front desk, he was suddenly reminded of his own younger brother.

“Big brother..., it hurts….”

“Can’t you hear he said it hurts! Why are you hurting him more?”

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHThFlJGPApNykTVQNvYT

About an hour later, after having to take care of the bills Kyujong was at a different scene. This time he was outside, where the sun was already heading down the horizon line. In front of him was three gravestone. All three belonging to his family—father, mother, and younger brother—members.

“You’re late,” a voice said, catching all of Kyujong’s attention. As he twirled around he saw Mr. Jung, the older holding three bouquets.  “Usually by the time I get here you’d be gone and all I can see it your flowers,”

“You still visit them Mr. Jung?” Kyujong asked.

“I told you to call me uncle you little,” the older teased as he stopped beside Kyujong to place the flowers down. “Of course I still visit, it’s also on behalf of your grandparents. Also I’m still upset at my sister for taking your brother with her and leaving you all alone,” the older said.

“If you feel bad then shouldn’t you have taken care of me instead of using me to get around your wife?”

The older clicked his tongue, “What do you mean use? Your aunt, she cannot understand men and our ways of wanting to explore and letting out our stress somewhere else,” the man said with an embarrassed chuckle, “speaking of it, do you have a room spare for me later tonight?”

“No, all rooms are taken Mr. Jung,” Kyujong answered bluntly. The older thought it to be a joke and scoffed.

“What hotel run out of some 50  rooms in over a night?” The older joked.

Kyujong pocketed his hands and smiled, “My hotel did, that’s why I was a little late today, Mr. Jung,”

The older was still unconvinced but lost interest right away, “If you don’t want to spare me a room than just say so you little, who taught you how to lie?”

Kyujong leaned forward, “You did,”

“Ack!” The elder let out an offended sound.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHThFlJGPApNykTVQNvYT

Sungyeol was facing the woman as they stood outside the room that the boy was taken to earlier in the hospital. “President asked me to come and bring you back to the hotel, so when your child gets discharge I’ll bring you both back,” Sungyeol said.

“Ah thank you, I’m sorry I didn’t even get to thank him properly before. I was so worried about my son, if something were to happen to him his father who’s back at home would be very angry.”

“Oh why?”

“He was against our trip, but because I wanted to show my son around my hometown.”

“Ah then it’s a relief that nothing bad happened,”

“Yes. That’s why I’m very thankful. But from what I know the man who brought my son is the owner of the hotel…?”

“Yes, that’s our President,”

“Then, do you know when is the next time he’s free? I want to thank him personally along with my son. He saved my only child, so before I leave I would really love it if I can meet him,”

Sungyeol thought for a brief moment about how to answer, “Uh, I’m his assistant Lee Sungyeol. I’m in charge of his agenda so even if he’s not free I can make that free time for you.”

“Oh really? I’ll be thankful if you do,”

Sungyeol nodded, “Then, when do you want to meet with him?”

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHThFlJGPApNykTVQNvYT

Mr. Jung slammed the cup of soju against the table. “Kyujong, I’m sorry, I won’t be bad to my wife anymore. Please spare me a room for one night, just this night. Please it will be my last request,” the drunk said.

Kyujong pressed an amused smile onto his face, “Are you going to be good to Mrs. Jung or do you want the room? You can’t have it both ways Mr. Jung,”

“Please! Please Kyujong, please give me a room. A big room too. I won’t make a mess, I won’t let her know I’m there, please,” the man held his cup up and continued to blabbered on. Kyujong noticed a familiar figure approaching from behind the man’s back.

“You!” It was Mrs. Jung, dressed in her casual red. “Is this how you do it every time? Because of you do you know how hard it’s been on Kyujong you old man?!” She screamed as she pulled his drink from his hand and slammed the cup down. “Get up old man let’s go home! Kyujong, help me get your uncle home,”

“Sure Mrs. Jung,” Kyujong said as he stood up and took out his wallet, “here’s the money,” he called to the owners of the shop as he leave cash on the table. Then quickly he went to help his aunt carry his uncle.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHThFlJGPApNykTVQNvYT

Soon night has grown over Incheon’s skies. Youngsaeng was still in Kyujong’s office and had gotten bored sitting and looking around. By the door a cart with food that has gone cold sat still. With no appetite Youngsaeng continued to wait for Kyujong. Then he decided to go through the man’s desk to find something to play with, until he noticed a necklace. One with a globe on it. “This is…?”

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpgwUbtUSFiq2Ggryn9qT

credit