Let's Not Fall In Love

If You. (우리 작속하시마라요)

Word count: 763

 

Qri smiles sadly at the woman in front of her. "Don't trust me" Qri pushes, she doesn't want to hurt Hyomin. But Hyomin stands strong with her choice. She has decided already and not even Qri could make her change her mind.

"...We don't know what tomorrow holds" Qri continues, seemingly desperate to stop the other woman's attempts.Hyomin smiles back at the shorter woman with reassurance. "We can always try" she insists but Qri's eyes flashes with hurt. Past pains echoing in her orbs.

"Can't we cherish this moment?" Hyomin asks her hand reaching out for Qri's. The older woman accepts but she still looks doubtful. Despite her silence."We'll deal with tomorrow, when tomorrow comes." Hyomin says. Pulling the shorter woman in for a warm hug. Qri nods and hums in approval. 

 

***

 

Qri stares at her girlfriend with empty, soulless eyes. "Don't" she Whispered "'Just don't" she breathes and closes her eyes for a few seconds to collect herself. Hyomin stiffens at the elder woman's quiet plea. The taller woman frowns and looks down att the floor. "Let's not" Qri continues. Her voice quivering, perfectly mirroring her trembling heart.  "Let's not fall any more in love" Qri says. Her voice cracking and trailing off. Her shaking eyes locked on Hyomin's hurt ones. 

"If you try.." Hyomin attempted to argue but Qri cut her off. "If you..." Qri echoes. A sad smile forming on her lips. "Just don't" Qri finishes and rolls over to her side of the bed. Hugging her duvet closely while nuzzling her head into her pillow. Silent tears staining her cheeks. Wetting her blanket and pillow. 

 

***

 

Qri stands still as the fall-leaves whirl around her.  A small almost unnoticeable smile is on her lips. She breathes out with a relieved sigh. Her eyes gleaming with unshed tears."At last" Qri says softly. Her pale cheeks lightly pink tinted because of the cold breeze.

Hyomin smiles faintly, her heart aching. Feeling as though she's about to fall apart. Qri closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. "Let's not fall apart" she speaks. Her voice smoothering and caressing Hyomin's tear streaked face. "If you fall, you only fall apart" Qri sing-songs. Hyomin feels her knees go weak, she stumbles slightly but manages to catch herself. Her body shaking and aching with sorrow and grief. 

 

***

 

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry..." Qri mutters repeatedly under her breath. "...for bringing you this pain.." she continues weakly. Hyomin shakes her head and closes her eyes tightly. Her hands holding the older woman's hand. "What should I do?.." Hyomin speaks, her voice quivering. "I'm in so much pain.." Qri says as if to remind herself, or the boringly white walls surrounding her. Hyomin takes a strangled breath and lets the first tear leak from her eyes. "..What should I do without you?" Hyomin asks, afraid to open her eyes she guides Qri's hand to Hyomin's now wet cheeks.

"Live happily" Qri weakly replies. That all too familiar smile gracing her lips. Hyomin frowns and shakes her head, finally opening her eyes to look at her dying lover. "I can't...The weak I, can't.." Hyomin cries. Qri just smiles at her. Putting her hand on Hyomin's heart Qri manages to smile wider despite the pain. 

"Carry me in your heart..." Qri's hand moves upwards and finally decides to rest on Hyomin's cheek. She makes the crying woman look in her eyes. "..And in your memories" Qri finishes. Her tired hand goes limp and Qri bites back a groan as the pain starts to strain on her. 

 

***

 

Hyomin imagined herself crying and screaming when Qri would finally fall into death's cloaked embrace. But she didn't, instead she stood frozen. The world suddenly feeling so big and colorless. Somehow Hyomin doesn't even cry, she just numbly stares at the corpse of her lover. The husk of what used to be her world. 

How could one person change another so much. Almost too cruel, as if a life of another didn't matter. Hyomin could never forget the burning hatred in her chest. For the world to take such a precious life. For taking Hyomin's happiness and hope.

 

***

 

"Let's" Hyomin says smiling softly at the piece of stone. "We know, yet we keep trying..." She mutters with a weak shake of her head. "I'll cherish you forever. In my dreams I will always come find you, until we reunite" Hyomin straightens her back and holds back the tears pooling in her eyes. 

"Let's" she repeats