"We're Dating Now"

Hey Bae

*Sorry for the misrepresentation of highschoolers if there is any its just that i don'T KNOW WHAT THE GOES ON IN A NORMAL HIGHSCHOOL ANYMORE. foreal. Also you should probably know by now that I'm quite loose with the cussing. Hope it doesn't offend anyone.*

 

 

“No”

“Yes”

No

“Kyungsoo, yes. You lost, you little , now pay up.” Baekhyun spoke with a wide smirk on his face.

“Baekhyun, please.”

“Nope, sorry baby cakes.” He gestured to the hallway, filled to the brim with students navigating their way through the first day of school. “Pick your poison.”

 Kyungsoo snarled and stormed away, though he was more embarrassed than he was angry. He should have known not to bet with the master of shady business and betting but dammit if he would quietly admit to his defeat. He stormed around the corner, Baekhyun’s awful cackling ringing in his ears. Like hell he was going to make a fool of himself in front of all of his friends tormentors. He still (barely) had his pride, but who knows how long it would last, he had three more years to change that (including his current one).

He soon found himself in the freshman hallway, teeming with the excited high pitched babbling of 9th graders, voices still high from adolescence though occasionally he did hear a crack or two. They all looked very enthusiastic, excited to set off into this new stage in their lives, the poor things. It was only a matter of time before the freshmen hallway turned into a graveyard full of shuffling zombies, teeming with broken dreams, Kyungsoo thought to himself.

And he wonders why his nickname is Drama queen.

He looked for a suitable target among the students; all of them looked excited enough to take the bait, but not enough for him. This had to go perfectly.

Then he saw him.

A lanky body, skin a tad bit darker than most, leaning lazily against the locker while his eyes scanned over the rest of the crowd, wider and more apprehensive than the rest of his peers.  A boy to his right babbled incessantly to him, but the kid didn’t seem to be listening much, too caught up in the prospect of a new academic (and social) environment, though he hid his excitement more than the rest. If anything he looked nervous.

He looked over Kyungsoo’s way, making brief eye contact, and Kyungsoo smiled kindly at the timid looking younger. He looked startled for a moment but then he smiled shyly back. Kyungsoo decides, then and there, that this will be his target.

Once he made up his mind he stepped in the boy’s direction, secretly amused at how the boys shy expression quickly turns into one of considerable confusion, bordering on panic. No doubt he was wondering why this upperclassman was suddenly approaching him out of the blue. Poor kid, a helpless bystander to the shenanigans of one Byun Baekhyun.

Nevertheless, Kyungsoo kept his smile intact, up until he was in front of the other with his hand raised for a high five. The boy startled at the raised hand, shrinking back even though he was already (annoyingly) taller than Kyungsoo himself. The boy that was talking had gone suspiciously silent.

After a moment of hesitation, the freshman presented his hand, aiming to slap it with Kyungsoo’s own while a wobbly, awkward smile started to bloom on his face.

Once he felt the touch of the others palm on his own, Kyungsoo wasted no time slipping his shorter fingers between the long digits of the other, grasping his hand tightly. Once their hands were intertwined he dropped his smile and instead replaced it with his infamously blank yet strangely murderous expression, eyes wide and eyebrows lightly furrowed; head tilted forward while he stared up at the younger menacingly, otherwise known as I don’t have my glasses on who the are you?(but it’s not like anyone else had to know that. He had a rep to uphold, after all.)

“We’re dating now. Love you bae.” Without another word he slipped away into the crowd, the others terrified face fresh in his mind while his cheeks (entire face really) burned a bright red.

 

Later that day, he was still moping.

Baekhyun was still cackling.

“Omg BAeekkkk, he’s gonna remember that why would you ffffasdffghjkll.” His complaining dissolved into incomprehensible whining (same thing I guess) as his face met his pillow. Baekhyun paid him no mind.

“Geez, buck up you ing drama queen. He won’t remember . And even if he does who the cares, he’s just a freshman.”

Kyungsoo whimpered loudly but tried to take it to heart. Maybe he’s right. Maybe the boy won’t even recognize him next time.

 

 

Except no. Baekhyun is not right at all.

 

 

Two years later, and Kyungsoo’s failed bet is still following him around the hallways of the school, staining his otherwise transparent reputation.

A week after the incident, the school had blown up about a new student; a freshman who could out dance the senior dancers of the school, a boy who went by the name of Kim Jongin. Kyungsoo hadn’t paid much attention despite how crazy everyone was going over him, as he usually did when it involved school drama. He learned long ago that people tended to over react (himself included). Hecontinued to not care, until the winter showcase when they introduced him, Kim Jongin and none other than his lanky, timid freshman walked out on stage with the rest of the dance team. Except he was not timid, not in the slightest. If anything he looked cocky getting down on stage, smirking provocatively at any and every one. One thing was sure, he didn’t dance like a freshman, those hips could attest to that. He became the golden boy of the school and Kyungsoo, bless his dramatic, heart, became the weird upperclassman who ruined his first day (even though only a handful of people even knew about the incident).

After the first few times he had seen him, Jongin had been shy and would flush to his roots after even making eye contact, confirming Kyungsoo’s first prediction that the boy would remember it until the end of days. But after that a strange transition was made, Jongin no longer grew timid at the sight of Kyungsoo, would only wave and smirk slightly like they shared an inside joke, which they did, though Kyungsoo usually referred to it as a " inside disaster". But the end of his “transition” was the worst.

It was a normal day, Kyungsoo was walking through the hallway on his way to class, when a wild Kim Jongin walked past smirking lightly like usual. But he actually opened his mouth, spoke words, words that would be the death of Kyungsoo.

“Hey bae.” This time it was Kyungsoo who flushed. And every other time after that.

Because when they said Jongin was a dedicated boy they were not lying. He never failed to great Kyungsoo as his bae.

Baekhyun got a kick out of it.

“Oh my god.” He was nearly in tears, laughing in the cafeteria. The rest of the student body was used to his outbursts and paid them no mind, though Kyungsoo still flushed whenever someone would look over, especially a certain infuriating dancer. “M-maybe he thinks you guys are actually dating. Congrats on your new boyfriend, Kyungie!” He collapsed on the table laughing and Kyungsoo snarled before lashing out, a swift pull of his ankle and Baekhyun’s chair was whipped out from under his . Kyungsoo stormed away before Joonmyun could scold him too much, his back burning under the gaze of certain sophomore (and poor Baekhyun who sported a bruise on his bum for a week afterwards).

 

Fast forward to senior year and it was just the same, though Jongin’s voice had deepened and he had only grown more handsome over the years. His baby fat was gone and his nicely shaped jaw gained lots of attention, as well as his lean body and surprisingly kind personality. Many people talked kindly about the younger boy, though Kyungsoo himself had never actually spoken to him, something that both bothered him and relieved him at the same time, considering their past. Even Baekhyun had had a conversation with the younger, though he wouldn’t share what it was about.

He wasn’t sure why he felt somewhat left out, but perhaps a part of him felt jealous over the younger boy, like they had shared something, like those hipsters when they say like “I knew it before it was cool” only Kyungsoo would be saying “I creeped him the out before he was cool.” His version was much worse. Maybe he was just curious about what the fuss was. But every time he even got close the greeting the younger boy, he remembered the incident and he forgot about even attempting to look at him, let alone stutter out a greeting.

But it seemed that it was too late anyways. About a week into the new school year, Kyungsoo realized that his ‘bae’ was suspiciously absent from his daily routine. He saw the younger frequently throughout the day but he didn’t receive a daily, sometimes hourly, greeting like he used to. In fact, the younger seemed to avoid all contact with him, didn’t even look at him. Kyungsoo wanted to be relieved; after all it was supposed to be like that from the beginning. But he couldn’t help his growing disappointment. Even though he didn’t want to admit it before, he felt special having that link to the younger boy. Now that they weren’t even looking at each other he no longer had a connection with the younger student. He didn’t know why it bothered him so much, but the longing feeling he felt in his chest whenever he saw the younger boy make him feel icky in a bad way, almost as if he was…sad.

 

The next week continued much like the first, until he was approached at the end of his English class.

“Hey, you’re coming Friday right?” It was Luhan, a friend of his who was throwing a party to celebrate “the beginning of the end” as he called it.

The two had met in class during Kyungsoo’s first year, but had really only bonded in the past year over things such as ty teaching and equally ty dramas. Not to mention the fact that they both tended to over exaggerate things in their own way, although Luhan was on another level compared to Kyungsoo. It seemed that birds of a feather flocked together.

“Yea, why not?” Despite his quietness, Kyungsoo didn’t really mind the occasional party or get together. Luhan’s tended to be more of the latter, a kickback really, so he didn’t have to worry too much about people grinding all over each other and drinks sloshing onto his favorite shoes.

“Nice! And don’t worry, it’ll be really low key, I promise.” With that he left the classroom, hands intertwining with a boy at the door who looked suspiciously familiar. Kyungsoo tried to remember who he was but it didn’t come to him. With a shrug, he left for his next class.

 

Friday came quickly, a plus for Kyungsoo who was already drowning in homework assignments and confused depression at his thoughts of a certain person. He arrived at Luhan’s alone and rang the doorbell, excited for a small get together with friends to take his mind off of his worries.

The door opened and Luhan greeted him enthusiastically and ushered him in to the large living room where about 11 other people resided, talking and laughing. They were all people that Kyungsoo was familiar with, especially a certain tall, lean boy sitting in the corner and watching his entrance.

Kim Jongin was there too.

Kyungsoo’s insides twisted up at the sight of the younger boy, seated on a couch between Joonmyun and Luhan’s boytoy, who Kyungsoo belatedly recognized to be the boy who witnessed his prank on Jongin on the first day. What a frighteningly small world.

Kyungsoo greeted everyone normally, though he avoided eye contact with the two younger boys and quickly rushed to a snickering Baekhyun’s side. He felt Kim Jongin’s eyes on him, but when he looked over the other was looking somewhere else. He found it suspicious, but a part of him was disgustingly happy; this was the most interaction he’d had with the boy all year, leaving out the fact that it had only been two weeks since the school year began.

About 20 minutes in Kyungsoo got thirsty and found himself in the kitchen, pouring some juice. He took a large gulp of the drink and held it in his cheeks, a bad habit but one he had kept ever since he was a kid. He spun around and nearly choked at the sight of someone behind him where nobody was before.

“Hey bae.” Jongin said teasingly.

This time he did choke.

He coughed, forgetting the liquid in his cheeks and it spilled all over Jongin’s front, his face and nice t-shirt now stained with apple juice.

Kyungsoo covered his mouth in shock, embarrassed beyond belief, while the other blinked down at his shirt, still processing what just happened. When Jongin looked up at him finally Kyungsoo was quick to slap his hands over his face while he sunk into a crouch, his eyes feeling the telltale burn of tears while he whined out loud at his misfortune. Would his embarrassment ever end?

He peeked up through his hands, and saw the younger boy looking at him in panic.

“h-hey now, don’t worry about it.” He leaned down and rubbed kindly at Kyungsoo’s shoulder, hoping to comfort him out of his embarrassment, only to be thrown for a loop when the elder promptly burst into tears.

The boys words were hard to understand, but he mostly understood “ruined your first day” and “so nice” and “apple smelling shirt I’M SORRY JONGIN”.

He shushed the older boy but secretly was taken with how cute he was in this moment.

 

The first day of high school was a scary one for Jongin and, admittedly it was really ing weird when the creepy sophomore came over and proclaimed them to be “baes”, but soon after, he noticed something. If anything Kyungsoo seemed more embarrassed than him, always flushing red and avoiding eye contact despite how hard Jongin stared as he tried to figure him out. He wondered if the elder wasn’t forced into it, a possibility that grew with every day that he remained friends with the infamous Byun Baekhyun. It was probably unkind of him but Jongin started teasing the other, calling him bae and trying to get a rise out of him. He noticed for a long time that the other had never spoken to him beyond that, which was weird since Jongin had spoken with practically everyone in the school already; it bothered him that he had yet to even exchange normal greetings with Kyungsoo. The elder boy just seemed embarrassed and upset whenever he , something Jongin grew increasingly aware of and soon enough he gave up on even breaching the boy’s walls, though he had always hoped. He would be the first to admit it: he had a crush on Do Kyungsoo. But near the end of junior year he came to the conclusion that his presence was a burden to Kyungsoo, that he should just stop altogether and when senior year started he started strong, practically ignoring Kyungsoo’s presence, or trying rather, since he always noticed him whether he wanted to or not.

But his plan flew out the window when Kyungsoo arrived at Sehun’s boyfriends’ house, looking so cute and embarrassed, that Jongin decided to give it another shot.

But now his crush is crying in front of him, sobbing over Jongin’s own blunder and blaming himself for something that Jongin sees as a blessing. Sure it was a strange first day, but it was the way that he met Kyungsoo, the boy he had crushed on for almost a year now. He was quick to correct the others way of thinking.

“Hey Hyung.” Kyungsoo, still sniffling looked up and Jongin cooed internally at his red nose and still trembling lips. “I think you and I have different perspectives on what happened that day. You really creeped me out, sure, but you don’t need to be embarrassed about that anymore, my day was hardly ruined by a dumb bet. It was a bet right?” Kyungsoo nodded hesitantly. “So? You’re forgiven. Actually… I’ve just been. Wanting to talk to you this whole time? I don’t know I mean, you seem so nice and genuine, anyone who is still embarrassed about something like that must be a good person. Not to mention you’re so smart and kind and good looking and cute and I just… I don’t know… I kind of want to date you.”

…Kyungsoo stares at the other.

“You…want to date me.”

“Yes.” Jonging smiles.

“Jongin-sshi…I’m really flattered but, that sounds really strange. Plus I mean, I was really weird to you! How can you just be so…cool?!” Kyungsoo grasps at straws, trying to make sense of the situation. How did this turn out this way? Sure, it was a nice twist but, Kim Jongin wanted to date him?

“Hehe yeah, I guess it is pretty weird but Ijust couldn’t get you out of my mind you know? I thought it was just curiosity but it can’t be just that. I’ve never felt for someone in here,” He places a hand over his heart “the way I feel whenever I look at you. I want to know more about you. I even asked Baekhyun hyung for help, but he just told me to keep up what I was doing and well…It didn’t really…work.”

Kyungsoo nearly cries again. He really has made mess out of things. Never did he think that the situation could turn into something like this. That being said, he did feel a pull towards the other boy, maybe even had a crush on him. Whatever it was, Kyungsoo decided that he wanted to figure it out with Jongin.

Kyungsoo got a hold of himself, wiping his tears and running a hand through his hair. Jongin stood up first, offering a hand down to help him up. Kyungsoo thought of the first time he held that hand and was reminded of the feeling of the soft palm meeting his own. This time it was Jongin who grasped first. “Let’s go?”

Kyungsoo nodded back, smiling and they walked out of the kitchen.

“Wait, you asked Baekhyun for help?”

“Mhmm it was his idea to start calling you bae.”

“…that .”

 

/////

That moment when you always blow out of proportion like Kyungsoo. Hands up if you overthink like :D

 

Welcome to another installment of Saiasam wastes precious study time! I already watched star trek tonight, so I'm posting this as yet another tactic of blatant procrastination. History english and chinese exam, here I come!! :D 

comment and tell me what you think~~

ALSO major embarrassment here but how do I attach a picture *blushes profusely* plz post in the comments... <3