Part II

Imparted Graces

“Huh.” Was all Hakyeon said when Hongbin finally stopped by the café to deliver more powdered sugar.

“Yeah, so my loss is technically your loss.” He sighed, moving his weight to be mainly on the counter in front of him.

“Well, if you need any help kicking his let me know.” Hakyeon tried his hardest to sound menacing but Hongbin had to stifle a laugh as to not insult his friend and business partner.

“Hopefully it won’t have to come down to that,” He managed to retort, “I’m meeting him tonight at the club one of my clients frequents—“

“You’re meeting him at a place where people get intoxicated and rowdy and hope it won’t get physical?” Hakyeon raised a doubtful brow, but turned instantly into a cheerful smile as he bade farewell to a group of departing customers.

“We’re not in college anymore, hyung,” Exasperated, Hongbin went on to play with a sugar packet someone must have forgotten on the granite. “Especially not you.”

Hongbin smirked to himself as he cast a single side glance towards the unamused manager before dodging an incoming swipe at his ear.

“You know what, I hope he beats you up,” Hakyeon hissed through a tight smile, attempting to regain his lost composure once noticing the curious glances he had raised. “Maybe then you’ll gain some respect for your elders.”

Hongbin responded with a mock bow before emptying the sugar from the crumpled packet into his mouth.

 

Hongbin was already on his way to the nightclub when he pondered over the missed opportunity to take a shot of some liquid luck, which to him meant some sort of fighting or debating experience. He didn’t know which one would come more in handy but he was willing to cross over to some other Collector’s territory to acquire either. And yet the moment for action had long since passed and he was left to trust his own limited range of experiences, being fairly unconfrontational when it came to it. He was more of a glarer than a puncher and didn’t have that much of a smooth tongue, so it was safe to say he was going in blind.

“What’s got you all serious, Hongbin-ssi?” The friendly bouncer called to him as Hongbin came closer. He swore inaudibly, realizing suddenly that he didn’t even know his on-and-off client’s name.

“Don’t worry, I won’t give you any extra work today.” He managed to jest, hoping his half hearted joke eases his inner turmoil.

The bouncer replied by looking Hongbin up and down somewhat skeptically. “Yeah, didn’t think otherwise.”

Hongbin maintained a moment of eye contact before gaining entrance to the premise, unsure whether the selector doubted his promise to stay out of trouble or mocked his overall brittle frame. Either way, Hongbin concluded, he wasn’t getting a Tic Tac on his way out tonight.

 

Sweaty and humid as always, he made his hesitant way to the crowded bar, breaking his strict sober- business policy for a different form of liquid luck. He pushed around the mingling clubbers, already regretting his decision by the time he caught the bartender’s attention.

“Give me something sweet, please.”

The bartender returned an apathetic stare. “Like a cocktail?” He might as well have had mouthed it because Hongbin heard nothing.

“I was thinking more like a shot.” He shouted back.

A moment (and an eyeroll) later, the bartender slid him a shot glass full of something bright blue. Hongbin paid for the drink and downed it without thinking too much about the medicinal aftertaste that was going to haunt him for the rest of the night.

As if on cue he locked eyes with Sanghyuk who was sitting on the other side of the bar, chatting with someone Hongbin has never seen before. Hyuk smiled in recognition and motioned for him to come closer, his eyes sliding meaningfully towards his conversation partner, who was conveniently facing away.

Here it goes. Hongbin squared his shoulders and approached the duo.

“Hongbin hung!” Hyuk exclaimed exaggeratedly. He was never much of an actor, that kid. “Good to see you, man, meet Jaehwan hyung.”

Hongbin turned slightly to lock eyes with the mentioned “hyung”, and was surprised to encounter a friendly looking face. He was half expecting the guy to have a swirly mustache and vampire teeth, and what he saw was no less cartoonish, but not at all like that. The dealer had an impressive nose and a pair of even more impressive lips, which were contorted into a well wishing smile. Not the comic book villain Hongbin’s brain made him out to be. Instead, he looked like a comically drawn love interest from an 80’s manhwa.

 “Nice to meet you.” Jaehwan held his hand out for a shake, and Hongbin complied with some reluctance.

“Likewise.” He squeezed his palm the way he thought a businessman would shake the hand of an old rival, and watched with glee as the dealer winced ever so slightly before matching with the same force, a curious look in his eyes. Hongbin wasn’t as gleeful then.

“Lee Hongbin here is a Collector just like you, hyung!” Hyuk continued with the cheery charade, but Hongbin appreciated how hard he was trying for him, enough to overlook the fact that he didn’t use an honorific there.

“Wait,” Jaehwan ended the arm wrestle and cocked his head to the side. “Any connection to Lee Kwangho sunbaenim?”

Hongbin sighed. He should have known. “Yes, he was my father.”

Jaehwan’s eyes widened, his bushy eyebrows rising accordingly before settling into something more somber. “I’m sorry for your loss.” He then said, tone calm despite the fact he needed to yell in order to be heard. “Your father was one of my biggest inspirations.”

Hongbin acknowledged the condolences with a nod as Hyuk cleared his throat awkwardly at his side.

“Well,” He went on to stand, motioning for Hongbin to take his seat instead. “I’ll leave you gentlemen to chat, I think I saw one of my friends… over there.” He pointed at a completely random direction- a stretch, obviously, but it was as good a time as any.

He then left, not before clapping both Collectors on their respective shoulders, exhaling in relief.

“So you’re continuing his legacy, huh?” Jaehwan then went on to ask with an interested smile.

“You could say that.” Hongbin didn’t like talking about his father. “But you’re the chocolatier among us, I hear.”

The latter’s grin softened bashfully. “I try.”

“Well,” Time for business. “Since you’re new around here, I just thought I’d fill you in on how things usually work.” He said, the last syllable coming out unexpectedly loud since the music had quieted abruptly. He looked around slightly embarrassed before continuing with a lower volume.

“There are about four other Collectors in the area besides us, and they all have their own radius that they frequent.” He paused, building himself up for the punch line. “And this one’s mine. So if you want I can show you some neighborhoods that are free for you to claim.” In his mind, Hongbin gave himself a victorious high five. Smooth.

“I actually quite like it here.”

And just like that, the cord was cut on the internal celebration. Hongbin couldn’t help but double take as he wasn’t sure he heard the newbie correctly.

“You—you what?”

“Yeah,” Jaehwan livened up again, exposing a row of symmetrically arranged teeth. “The locals were very welcoming… and so many lovely customers! Sanghyuk, for example, he’s a doll.”

This was an actual bad dream. Hongbin fought the urge to rub his eyes.

“They seemed pretty excited to have a new Collector around. I think my presence would be missed.”

He could feel it coming. He was really going to er punch this guy.

“I’m sure it would be.” Hongbin forced himself to say. “But still, we Seoul Collectors are pretty territorial when it comes to where we deal.” He tried to crack a smile, adding a lightness that was as feigned as his courtesy.

The men were then silent, a thick tension slowly forming between them. In the background, the bass kicked in again and the energy in the premise spiked as the music rekindled.

“Well, then perhaps we can make this interesting.” Jaehwan finally said, keeping his gaze on Hongbin as he picked up his drink from the counter.

Hongbin could almost feel the color leaving his face (or maybe flooding it? It could have been bright red for all he knew). He waited patiently for Jaehwan to finish sipping from his glass, chewing on the inside of his cheek all the while.

“Give me your number.” He then concluded, taking on a contemplative tone. “I think I can arrange something for us to do.”

“Come again?” Was all Hongbin could utter at that moment.

“I just think that since neither of us is interested in seeking out a new neighborhood, we could hold a contest of sorts… you know, to decide for us.” Jaehwan seems unfazed by Hongbin’s slow decent into snark.

“Why in the world would I ever agree to this?” Hongbin went ahead and dropped all pretenses. He was pissed.

“Why not?” The infuriating dealer grinned. “If you’re truly deserving of this area, surely you won’t mind kicking my into the next dimension.”

He wasn’t wrong per se, but this was still rubbing Hongbin the wrong way. And yet he found himself playing along, but not before a considerable pause.

“And if… when, that happens, would you leave town? For good?” He heard himself say. It was as if his brain had left his body and he was functioning solely on the fumes of that insignificant shot he had taken. And if that was indeed the case, Hongbin’s body felt the same distaste towards Jaehwan as his mind did, because this wasn’t just a whim.

“With my tail between my legs.” Came the insufferable smirk again. Hongbin wished Jaehwan would stop ing smiling; It was becoming unnerving. “But if I happen to win you must keep your end of the deal as well.”

“I mean, even if I lose,” Jaehwan continued, as if he wasn’t arranging a western style shootout. “It would be an honor to test my expertise against the offspring of my idol.”

“Please don’t say ‘offspring.”

But Jaehwan just laughed. The sound of it was drowned by the music but Hongbin could almost taste the smugness of that chortle.

“I like you, Hongbin-ssi.” He recovered. “I can only imagine the amazing experiences you’ll bring to our little competition.”

This time Hongbin could not reply with “likewise”, not even as a joke. He had finally been able to discern what it was that irked him so much about his newly acquired rival, which was the way Jaehwan talked, and how he didn’t sound the least bit resentful during their standoff (unlike Hongbin, who was practically foaming at the mouth by then). When Jaehwan smiled or laughed it was as genuine as it could get, as if he was recording an experience at every given moment and had to remain cheerful for that very purpose. And, as far as Hongbin knew, that could have very well been the case, but for some reason he doubted that. And thus he was left with an enigma of a dealer, who, despite wearing his feelings on his sleeve, still managed to appear somewhat blank.

 Hongbin replied by fishing his phone out of his pocket and adding a new contact to his list.

 

Hyuk practically made a full U-turn upon witnessing the look on Hongbin’s face after his encounter with Jaehwan, but he wasn’t quick enough. Hongbin managed to grab him by the collar of his shirt, reaching high to do so, and dragged him backwards so he could give him a piece of his mind about the mess he was now in.

Jaehwan had left to go god knows where, leaving Hongbin fuming and alone in the middle of a place that he hated. If Hyuk wasn’t going to be a good friend and lend him a shoulder to vent on, Hongbin was sure to spontaneously combust right then and there.

“This one’s on you, hyung.” Came the not-at-all comforting lecture. “You didn’t have to go all Mafioso on him.”

“I said nothing that could come off as a threat!” Hongbin complained, though deep down he was well aware of the mob boss undertone his words had given off.

“Well, it did. But hey!” Hyuk raised his hands defensively once Hongbin gave him another wild eyed stare. “I will take your side in this matter if it comes to it. I mean, as much as I enjoyed that roller coaster, it wasn’t nearly as crisp as your experiences are. Also we’re friends, and I will never let down a friend.”

And that was enough to quiet the steam coming out of Hongbin’s ears. He hated the soft spot he had for Hyuk almost as much as he hated Jaehwan at the moment.

“You’re a good kid, Hyuk.” He finally resigned, ready to give himself a break from all this rage. “Thank you for setting this meeting up tonight. Even though it didn’t go as I expected.”

Hyuk flashed a smile then, the first real one for that night, and a single intrusive thought flashed through Hongbin’s mind, asking him whether he’d have customers like Hyuk wherever he might be exiled.  

 

A few days later, Hongbin was nodding off in front of the TV in his apartment, exhausted from the juice-cleanse-experience he’d recorded up until that night. Apparantly binging on pizza after ingesting strictly liquid for three days was sure to put one into a food coma. His phone buzzed with an incoming call and he jolted upwards, knocking a plate of cold pizza off his lap and onto his clean couch. He eyed the screen groggily, waiting for his vision to adjust… and scowled.

He saved Jaehwan’s number under the nose emoji and nothing else, hoping it would make him chuckle when he gets the dreaded phone call, but instead it seemed to ruin the silly hieroglyph for good.

He picked up the phone, greeting the caller with silence.

“Hongbin-ssi? Hi, it’s Jaehwan.”

“Yeah. Hi.” He answered reluctantly.

“Is this a good time?”

No. “Sure.”

“I just wanted us to talk about that thing we agreed on, are you still interested?”

To be fair, Hongbin wasn’t entirely sure, but hearing Jaehwan’s voice again brought on a smidgen of the rage he felt that night at the club and suddenly it wasn’t so hard to decide.

“I am. What do you have in mind?”

“I’d rather we discuss this in person. Is there anywhere you’d prefer we meet?”

Hongbin wasn’t too excited about seeing Jaehwan again, but he figured this is the kind of business you don’t hold over the phone. And he also had the perfect place. “Yeah, Inyeon café, I’ll text you the address later.”

“Great. 7p.m tomorrow?”

“Okay.”

“See you there!”

Jaehwan hung up, and Hongbin made sure to send him the location of the café before picking up his phone again. Hakyeon is going to love this.

 

“Okay everyone, remember your positions!” Hakyeon concluded the 6:30pm meeting he’d called in, featuring the entire currently working staff, and Hongbin. “Our livelihood is on the stake!”

Hakyeon being Hakyeon did all but dress the attendants in camouflage and arm them with rifles, though in actuality all that was happening, was, well, a coffee date… between enemies.

Hakyeon of course took the matter way too seriously (despite having a point about his livelihood being in jeopardy) , but either way Hongbin was enjoying himself. He’d missed having a solid laugh with a friend, given how stressful that entire month had been, and figured he might as well play along with Hakyeon’s antics. After all, he was paying for whatever Hongbin’s order was going to be.

He went ahead and occupied the seat with the best vantage point for Hakyeon, and fiddled with his phone, pretending he wasn’t nervous.

The staff didn’t seem too ruffled by the occasion, they were used to the weekly dramas Hakyeon would perpetuate, and to them this was no different. They were, though, curious about the results of the standoff since it could potentially mark the end of an era, and thus kept suspiciously close. Hongbin then shook his head at himself, now who’s being dramatic?

If something could be said in Jaehwan’s favor, it would be his punctuality. Not a moment after seven he could be seen crossing the street to the café, dressed like a suburban country club member, cardigan around the shoulders and all. Hongbin wanted to laugh but instead he only felt self conscious for some reason.

He took a moment to glance at Hakyeon, who was trying his best to look busy with a washcloth in hand but ended up looking like he was trying to rub a hole into the granite. His employees weren’t looking any better, sweeping dust bunnies that weren’t there, hovering around like misguided ghosts… Hongbin sighed; this was going to be a long night.


Oh my god this is so overdue I am sorry ;;
Life's been in the way for the last month and a half, but I'm hoping this chapter was worth the wait.
Thank you for reading!