Who are you?

My Request
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I don't understand why my mom needed so many potatoes all the time. She hardly ever uses them for meals so they are always stacked in the corner, just staring with their lumpy selves. One time I stole one, just to test if she would notice, and right away she called me, asking if I could get more potatoes from the super market. This was that day. I walked slowly to the supermarket she directed me to, double checking the directions since I'm not from here. Yeah, yeah, I was born in Busan, South Korea and lived here for like 3 years of my life but I don't remember anything except that one time my brother, Heedo, came into my house, screaming about a dog chasing him and woke me up from my precious nap. I still glare at him for that.

The other 13 years of my life, I was living in California. People would always ask me about South Korea, like; "how was it like there?" "Do you still talk to anyone from there?" "How's the music like?" "What's the TV Shows like?" and etc. But honestly, I didn't know much about South Korea since I was raised most of my life in an American-style enviornment. Both of my parents are Korean, but my dad was born in America so he was raised with the American lifestyle. He flew to South Korea to study there and meet my mom at his college. I do know Korean since my mom likes speaking Korean with Heedo and I just so we, quote on quote, "won't lose our identity" yet I've never really been introduced to any Korean culture. Heedo listens to Kpop, but I only listen to a few kpop bands. My mom watches South Korean variety shows but everytime she invites me to watch one with her, I get a call from one of my friend's, asking if I could hang out. It's not like I don't want to get involved into my ethnicity, it just seems like there's always something interuptting my way to getting involved.

So, as I walked to the supermarket, it wasn't that hard since I could read the signs and have a slight understanding to where I was going. "Kyunghwa's Supermarket" sign soon appeared before my eyes and I double checked the text message my mom sent about where to go just so I wouldn't accidentally walk into the wrong Supermarket. I nodded as it was right and made my way inside. The supermarket was average size, with everything being fairly spaced out and it looked like everything was there that people could possibly want. Yet, there wasn't very many people in there, only around 10-14 people where there, strolling around. 

I grabbed a basket and walked around, scanning around for the potatoes my mom needed. I walked towards the vegetable section, spotting them from far away. As soon as I started to walk towards them, this random guy tripped down on the floor and said "aigoo" very loudly. I watched him and felt like walking over to help him up yet he looked up at me and came sprinting towards me. I stopped abruptly with confusion. He slowed down before me and lifted his hood up before slipping on a pair of black shades. I tilted my head, wondering why this guy could possibly need shades when this store wasn't that bright and it was raining outside. He leaned his body in more towards me, moving his face closer to mine

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter