Final

a love that exists between brackets

The weather had become chillier these past few days, and the wind had also become relentless; he rubs his hands together and palms his face in hopes of getting some warmth, because he doesn’t remember feeling so cold.

Donghae usually loves the refreshing feeling of cold air rushing through windswept hair and whipping across his cheeks – although, in hindsight, it could be because he's gotten used to having a source of warmth right next to him that always managed to make the cold seem unnoticeable.

He looks out the window from his seat at the admittedly plain and bare scenery outside. There's not much to look at, really – the day had been dragging on so slowly even that snail that's been stuck on that one spot on the wall, trying to get somewhere in the past hour, seems to be moving faster.

But Donghae's always been one to unconsciously find relevance in the most irrelevant things, and right now, looking at said plain and bare scenery with the leafless trees and field of dry, withering grass, their dark, bleak colors contrasted by a bright, pale gray sky, Donghae's thoughts unknowingly start wandering off to times when he'd walked with someone on days just like this.

(Days when they'd walk together leisurely in a secluded park, or down along the Han River, sides brushing against each other, hands swinging slowly on each side, fingers occasionally tangling together when they meet mid-swing; shyly, carefully.

They wouldn't stay tangled for long. After all, someone might recognize them, and an intimate moment like that should be never captured on camera.

However, even when their hands and fingers would swing away from each other – almost as if the tender moment didn't happen – they would always meet and find each other again.)

He remembers how he would relish and bask in the feel of the exhilaratingly icy air along the little expanse of skin he has revealed; and when the ghosts of a shiver starts crawling up his skin, or when he begins to become aware of how painfully numb the tip of his nose and chapped lips are, Donghae remembers how he would pull off his own scarf and wrap it around his neck.

(How Hyukjae would pull off his own scarf, wrap it around his neck, then pull him to an obscure corner – away from all the people, all the noise – and envelop him into a warm hug.

Donghae still remembers the way Hyukjae would press plump lips against his temple, and they would stay there, unmoving, hoods of their thick coats pulled down low on their faces, to shield themselves from prying eyes of nature and the world.

Just the two of them, standing in a quiet, people-less space, the cold air nipping against their skin and the world around them moving at a pace so fast it misses all these moments of intimacy and affection.

But the breakneck speed of the world around them is just the way they like it, because if the world had ever once slowed down and observed them carefully, those little moments between them that they live and breathe for would be non-existent.

Those little moments – that began from sparks of uncertainty, fear and a feeling of all sorts of wrong but still somehow right, that slowly blossomed into something beautiful, long-lasting and only all sorts of right over the years – would all have been non-existent under the world's split-second scrutiny.

And non-existent moments would mean they would never have become Donghae and Hyukjae. Only Donghae. Hyukjae.

But Donghae and Hyukjae has been all they've ever known since their eyes had met for the first time across the room as gangly, awkward teenagers and the both of them had just instantly known.)

Unblinking gaze settled on the window and everything outside, Donghae is flooded with memories (that never fail to instill a fuzzy warmth inside of him; a warmth that he can feel all the way down to his toes, endlessly swelling and stirring in every part of his body).

He sighs through his nose (idly wondering how he is doing in his own station) when the door to the room opens and Donghae is startled out of his mindless daydreaming.

"Soldier."

"Yes, sir." Donghae greets, immediately up on his feet, posture ramrod straight, arm already saluting his senior out of newly established habit.

The senior officer that just walked in quirks his lips into a lopsided smile.

"Take a break, soldier. Come back before or by bedtime." He says in a nonchalant manner, walking around Donghae. He takes off his cap, places it on the rather rickety desk by the window and lowers himself into the chair Donghae had just got up from.

The latter is taken aback by the action of his senior, and tries to form a question about it in haste. The surprise is still just registering and Donghae's own confusion about the situation is rendering him unable to form a logical explanation of why his senior just told him to "take a break", followed by a "come back by bedtime".

It would make sense, if it wasn't only still late morning, and if there was anywhere to go and to stay for such a long time within the base. There isn't, and it's not his holiday either. By the time he's slowly gotten a question formed in his spinning head, his senior is already talking.

"Pardon, sir?" Donghae says, blinking in incomprehension.

"I said," the senior officer rolls his eyes good-naturedly, "You're off duty today. There's someone waiting for you at the gates. It's been a slow day at the station, anyway, so I am allowing you a break today. A bit of an impromptu break, but we can handle things around here, Lee."

Donghae's heart elevates at the thought that someone's come to visit. (Although it's not likely to be him,) Donghae already feels happy thinking that it could be his mother or brother or a member or maybe even a few of them who's gotten a well-deserved break from schedules and is taking time off to visit him.

"May I know who it is, sir?" Donghae asks, barely able to keep the anticipation out of his voice.

"Get out of here and find out for yourself, soldier," his senior huffs a laugh, and at that, Donghae says his thanks and offers a salute before heading off to change out of his uniform.

 


 

As he approaches the gates, Donghae feels his hands trembling with excitement as it's been quite a long two months since he's seen any of his family or the members.

(And him.)

He shows the security guard a slip given by another senior officer before he left, and he's let through with a friendly wave.

Donghae steps out of the gates and scans the area quickly and spots only a handful of people passing by: a few fellow officers returning to the station, some nameless pedestrians passing by, a somewhat suspiciously dressed person in a black cap and black facemask loitering about, a couple cars–

A suspiciously dressed person in a black cap and black facemask loitering about?

He is at some distance away, but there's no mistaking that build, those monkey-like ears stick out the sides of the cap, the single-lidded eyes, or the hints of sharp, handsome features hidden by a face mask.

It can't be. None of them were even sanctioned an official holiday this early.

But if there's anyone Donghae could recognize by the most insignificant detail, it's him.

Hyukjae.

In that moment, Donghae's senses are all hyperaware, but his focus is zeroed on one person and one person only.

(The one person that his heart has ached and longed for for many nights, some of them sleepless because he's missed him so much.

Donghae feels his heart in his throat and beating faster than he's sure it's capable of. His blood is rushing and pounding in his ears, and his hands are clenched into fists so tightly in his pockets he has no doubts they're white at the knuckles already.)

He's not quite sure what to do with himself because what if this is merely a hallucination?

(He's dreamed of and missed Hyukjae for a long time – even before any of them were even notified of their dates of enlistment – and while he's been faring well by himself, he hopes he hasn't subconsciously longed to see Hyukjae for so long and so dearly that it's caused him to start seeing things.)

Before he can juggle what to do, the figure that he's been staring intently at for some while turns around and spots him.

Donghae is alarmed at the pace that the other is coming at him, but as the figure nears it becomes increasingly clear that it is Hyukjae

(His dear Hyukjae.)

He's barely gotten his bearings together when two strong arms wrap around him tightly, and a voice muffled by the facemask sounds in his ear.

(Low, intimate, gentle, and dripping with an emotion that makes Donghae melt and weak in the knees:)

"I've missed you, Donghae-ah."

His arms immediately wind around Hyukjae, and pulls him impossibly closer because Donghae feels all his suppressed feelings of longing, of relief (of love) flooding through his head and heart and body; (his senses are overwhelmed with the myriad of feelings crashing uncontrollably against each other like the chaotic waves or a sea in a storm, and) as if a dam has burst, tears begin rolling down his cheeks quickly, quiet sobs wracking through his body.

They pull away from each other (longing subtly evident in their lingering holds and barely noticeable reluctance. A random passersby would hardly bat an eyelash or think twice about the display, but having known each other for half their lifetimes, they could easily tell the amount of emotion that transpired between them and quickly decipher thoughts from expressions alone) and Donghae very quickly wipes his tears away.

He doesn't hold back his smile because he's finally (finally) seeing (his) Hyukjae.

 


 

They walk together in comfortable, companionable silence. Their sides are pressing and leaning against each other, making their way towards a quiet area with only a couple people minding their business.

Upon seeing a secluded corner obscured by some trees and walls – hardly noticeable unless searched for – Hyukjae quickly drags Donghae in to hide for a bit from public eye to catch up in total privacy.

(Donghae feels his heart catch in his throat again because Hyukjae is so, so close and he's been waiting to be in such close proximity of Hyukjae for a long time.

"Hyukjae," he croaks, after managing to find his voice. "What are you doing?"

The question is left unanswered and any other questions Donghae has left in his already short-circuiting brain dies off when he feels rather than sees warm fingers tenderly cupping his face – his jawline gently, brushing his earlobes carefully, thumbing his cheek and lips lovingly.

"Let's see how your hair has grown," comes Hyukjae's murmur, and Donghae's hood is gently tugged down just like that. He shivers slightly when he feels the cold air seeping into his scalp and down his clothes.

Donghae vaguely wonders if he's going to be spending a lifetime rendered speechless when Hyukjae nears him, and as he mulls this over distractedly, he's brought back by the soft feeling of Hyukjae's fingers threading through his buzz-cut hair, pressing into his scalp lightly, dragging down towards the nape where he scratches and caresses a few times.

Donghae almost whines at the loss when Hyukjae tugs his hood back up, but he's surprised when Hyukjae doesn't let go of his hood and pulls him forward to crash his lips against another pair of waiting, smiling ones.

They move together in a slow, tender pace, familiarizing themselves with the other, getting back into a rhythm only they know of. Both lips are slightly chapped and icy but the kiss is perfect and Donghae feels his heart stumbling around in his chest as their breaths mingle and their noses brush.

They've shared innumerable kisses with each other for years now, but every time he shares another one with Hyukjae, they still leave him breathless with exhilaration.)

 


 

Upon agreeing to get some coffee and catch up in a more public place, they soon find themselves sitting in a cafe near Gwanghwamun (fingers loosely linked under the table, knees bumping against each other).

They choose a corner table, because with their identities, privacy is hard to come by, and so they’ve learned to grab the opportunity of privacy and cherish it the rare times where they get to have more of it rather than none at all (besides the fact that they’ve always loved their privacy with each other and being in their own little world).

Donghae doesn't remember laughing so much in the span of a couple hours, but he's been laughing for quite awhile, and it's all because of Hyukjae's ridiculously over-exaggerated stories about him and his squad members.

The latter insists that all the stories are completely true and not one bit of it is exaggerated, but Donghae knows that even though Hyukjae's stories are mostly true, he does exaggerate a bit (if only to make him laugh).

(Hyukjae has never admitted to this, but he secretly loves to make Donghae laugh, and Donghae knows it.

Donghae often feels smug about the fact and likes to call him out on it. Hyukjae never admits to it – he merely tactfully changes the subject – but he never denies it either.)

The amount of time that Donghae has left to spend with Hyukjae steadily decreases as the number of drinks that they order over the hours – that are decidedly not coffee, he notes – pile up.

Donghae's lost track of how many hours they've been sitting in that cafe, sharing stories and reliving memories together. The sky has darkened and Donghae's quite sure they've spent more than a good few hours in this warm cafe that overlooks the busy streets of Seoul, with Gwanghwamun glowing brightly in the distance.

By now, their eager conversation that lasted for hours has died down to a comfortable silence; they're sipping at newly ordered hot drinks (the one waitress that has been here for the entire duration of their visit takes their order with a knowing smile) and staring out the window, occasionally exchanging fond glances at each other and quietly conversing about everything and nothing at all.

(Seoul is beautiful at day and night, Donghae thinks. Bright, colorful lights that indicate a never-sleeping city, and from where they're sitting, he can hear the faint cacophony from the streets that is oddly soothing and comforting to the mind and ears.

He suddenly wonders why he's only just noticed this. A thumb the back of his hand discreetly under the table brings his attention to it, and the answer to his thought is clear.

Donghae, on any other day, would see the beauty of the scenery without trouble or much time needed. He's always been one to appreciate and capture the finer things in life – Seoul's cityscape, nature, and such things are no exception.

Though, everything kind of dims in comparison when there's something even more beautiful and perfect is right before him, his thought continues, as he turns his attention from the window and meets Hyukjae's steady, fond gaze halfway.

The world might find many flaws in Hyukjae, and to many fans, Hyukjae actually is beautiful and perfect. But no one has seen Hyukjae the way Donghae has, and even with everything mundane and seemingly ordinary about him, Hyukjae is beautiful to Donghae.

Donghae's scenery is Hyukjae, and the latter by far outshines any other scenery Donghae has ever laid his eyes on – including that spectacular view of Gwanghwamun shining brighter than the moon in the sky.

Hyukjae shines brighter to him, anyway.)

 


 

"You're robbing me blind, Lee Donghae," Hyukjae sighs exasperatedly, frowning dramatically down at his wallet. "Even when we haven't seen each other in two months, you still won't treat me to anything. How stingy." He continues to sniff.

Donghae rolls his eyes at the theatrics.

"Idiot, you offered," he retorts affectionately, and punches Hyukjae lightly in the shoulder. The both of them know that even though Hyukjae is complaining now, he wouldn't really let Donghae pay for the both of them because he secretly likes to spoil Donghae rotten.

They fool and joke around more as Hyukjae is walking Donghae back to the station on an unspoken plea on the latter's part and an unspoken agreement on the former's part.

(Donghae's heart feels light and another unexpected bout of warmth stirs within him for the nth time that day, touched by Hyukjae's thoughtfulness, mind fuzzy with giddiness and happiness over how Hyukjae doesn't even need to ask and immediately knows that Donghae wants – needs – company on the way back.

As they're walking back the way they came, they round the same secluded area Hyukjae had pulled them into earlier, and Donghae almost yelps when Hyukjae yanks him there again upon seeing no one around.

"We've still got time till your curfew," Hyukjae breathes against his lips, their bodies pressed against each other impossibly closely once again.

Donghae's breath is caught in his throat again and his heart is hammering so hard against his chest that he fears it would fall out. He feels himself melting against Hyukjae, as the latter's plump lips pillow around his thin ones again, moving softly. Donghae breathes in the distinct scent that is Hyukjae and immerses himself in the feel of him as much as possible before they're separated for another long period.

The reality of that situation is crushingly heavily, and in the heated mix of desperation, longing and love bouncing in between them, awakening sleeping desires, Donghae's becomes acutely aware of how his senses are heightened and how he’s become hyperaware about everything regarding Hyukjae.

Donghae pulls Hyukjae even closer by the nape, carefully thumbing and feeling Hyukjae's features, etching them into the depths of his mind and heart. For all they know, this could be last time they're seeing each other in a while, and so Donghae marks and remembers.)

 


 

(He accidentally lets that little tidbit about having to ingrain everything about Hyukjae and this moment into his memory slip through, though he only meant to keep it in his head. The latter pulls away and Donghae vaguely feels the urge to crawl in a hole and die because half a lifetime of knowing each other aside – and the fact that in that half a lifetime, creepier and more obsessive things have been said – what he just accidentally said was still creepy and obsessive, nonetheless.

But Hyukjae only smiles down at him with that warm, gummy smile – that smile of his that makes Donghae feel like something has exploded within him and all the withered plants and leafless trees have suddenly blossomed back to life and sprouted leaves.

"Idiot," Hyukjae says fondly, gaze softening as he reaches into Donghae's hood and cups his face, thumb tenderly caressing his cheek, "You say it like we're going to be separated."

"What do you mean 'like we're going to be separated'?" Donghae frowns, his earlier embarrassment momentarily forgotten. "Hyukjae, we are going to be separated, and we might not see each other for possibly a year–"

Hyukjae covers Donghae's mouth with cold hands.

"You already have my heart and soul in your hands, Lee Donghae," Hyukjae mumbles seriously, placing light kisses on Donghae's forehead, eyelids, cheeks and nose.

"Also, do I need to remind you of your own romantic words for me that you told the world? Something about our bodies and our hearts?" Hyukjae continues, simultaneously mischievous and sincere eyes boring into his.

Donghae internally thanks God that it's already dark and the dim glow of the streetlights and Seoul's traffic doesn't do much of anything to brighten up his face too much, because the embarrassment has just come back full force and his face is burning at an impossible temperature and all he can do right now is swallow thickly at the earnest words and at the reminder that he actually posted something as romantic and sappy as those words for the world to see before Hyukjae went off to the army.

He would never live this down.

Hyukjae seems to notice his embarrassment and speechlessness, and cackles at his flustered expression.

"We'll be alright, stupid," he laughs and nears Donghae's face – that still feels like it's on fire, the latter notes miserably. "'Our bodies may be apart, but our hearts will always be together', after all."

Donghae doesn't get a chance to retort that it was just something he said while he was caught up with his emotions and the heat of the moment, because Hyukjae's already pulled him close by the waist and kissed him again.)

 


 

The rest of the walk back is quiet, both of them immersed in their own thoughts.

(Their hands swing between them again – but instead of loosely tangling their fingers when their hands brush against each other and separating as they swing away, like they normally do any other time at day, they take advantage of the darkness and their anonymity right now, clasping each other's hands tightly; fingers entwined, warm palms pressed against each other.

At every few erratic beats of two hearts, Hyukjae's thumb would Donghae's knuckles – so softly it feels like a dream – while Donghae's fingers would continuously cling to Hyukjae's own – silently, as if would translate to Donghae's endless plea of ‘Let’s stay in this moment forever’; they do it as inconspicuously as possible, and neither of them lets go.)

When they reach the gates of Donghae's station, they hesitantly untangle themselves and share one last hug (touches and fond gazes lingering a heartbeat too long – but no one's around to witness it, and so Hyukjae very swiftly pulls Donghae by the hood again, pressing his lips softly against the latter before pulling away, so quickly it could be mistaken for a trick of the light) before they exchange reluctant goodbyes.

"Goodbye, Hyukjae. I'll miss you."

(“I love you,” he imagines himself adding.)

Donghae swallows thickly, and feels his heart already aching from having to separate himself from Hyukjae (his whole world) so quickly already.

He gives a little wave and turns to leave before he can see Hyukjae doing the same.

"Donghae!"

(His quick walk has him some distance ahead, and he feels the shout before he even hears it; the resonance vibrating underneath his feet, electrifying his whole body and shaking his very core.)

Donghae turns around at the loud call.

(His heartbeat elevates in anticipation.)

Hyukjae is waving at him wholeheartedly, unlike his own halfhearted one, and Donghae can see his body rocking from side to side – his figure shadowed in darkness, but the dim streetlights highlight the outline of his whole body (as if he's worn a soft halo).

"I'll miss you too." Hyukjae says, grinning (that endearing, achingly beautiful gummy smile of his: radiating a mellow, pleasant luminance of a rising moon in the form of soft, unintrusive rays like a setting sun).

Donghae smiles softly to himself and gives a hard, full wave to show Hyukjae that he heard it.

And with that, he crosses the gates and returns to a reality without his companion.

 


 

(Unspoken, and imagined, just like his own words. But they ring and reverberate in his ears even louder than Hyukjae's last calls to him before their separation.

“I love you too.”)