Childhood Friend

Childhood Friend
 
You were an art student in Seoul High and was the best until Kris came. He had only entered the art stream two months ago and yet he overtook you without any struggles, becoming the best art student. You were annoyed and disgruntled. You had worked your head to be the best and he did nothing much and overtook you. It wasn’t fair to you as you had sacrificed a lot more than him. 
 
It wasn’t just his art skills that you were jealous about. It was his whole being that you were jealous about. He was tall and lean and has perfect features. Not to mention he had became the captain of the basketball team. Why did he have everything that you had wished for? You had to manage so many things and did all your best for every single one, when Kris just sashayed in and got everything. Strangely, everyone adored him despite his cold exterior and unfriendliness. 
 
‘Why is he so perfect? Why am i the opposite of him?’  You questioned yourself over and over again. You hated yourself for lacking behind him and for being second. Kris was actually your best friend. You guys had grew up together and accomplish many great things together. However, you were always behind him at every single thing you did together. Be it schoolwork, running or even simply drawing, you can never beat him. Part of you hated that but the other part was fine with that. At the age of fourteen, he had moved away. Yea, it was depressing to lose such a chirpy and dorky tall elf like friend, but secretly you were glad that you had no  ore competitors. It was getting tiring to have to endure the comparisons made buy your parents. 
 
You sighed deeply as you prepared your art notes. “Thinking about him again?” Jinah glanced over as she was doodling random people on her notebook. “What makes you think so?” You rolled your eyes as you lightly landed a punch on her left arm. Jinah chuckled as she shook her head. “Come on, the only time you ever sigh is when you think about him. I know that you still have feelings for him.”What Jinah said has a point. Because you fell for him, you hated yourself even more. Why must it be him who caused you so much turmoil that you have a crush on?
 
The bell rang, indicating that lessons are starting so you quickly threw a disgusted glare at Jinah while Miss Shin strolled in with her laptop. “Class, you will be doing a pair work and i have assigned the groupings so no one is allowed to change.” Mrs Shin used her small beady eyes to eye the class while pushing her glasses up. As she’s starts to announce the groupings, grounds were heard and you prayed hard to be paired with Jinah. If not, you probably will end up smacking someone right in the face hard.
 
 “____ and Kris.” Your heart stopped beating for a second as you heard you and Kris’s name being called at the same time. You saw a hand shot up and a deep voice following next. “Can i be paired with someone else instead.”‘Good job Kris. You just stopped me from smacking someone in time.’ You thought as you raised your hand. “Miss Shin, i too would like to request to switch partners. I don’t feel comfortable working with someone that snobbish.” Your voice was so cold that it could freeze the air. Jinah looked at you appalled with her eyes wide open. The rest of the class turned to look at you and Kris. They had not expect you to be this straightforward. Kris blinked twice as he registered what you said. 
 
“Excuse me, but i am not that snobbish unlike someone.” Kris growled as he stared at me with resentful eyes. ‘Oh, now he hates me.’ You glared at him and rebuked,” Face it loser. You are snobbish so admit it.” You smirked at the sight of Kris losing his composure. Before he could slam the table, Miss Shin interjected, “You both, out now!” You packed your things and left the room not before smirking at Kris, irking him even more. As you were about to reach the stairs, you felt someone pulling you by the wrist, forcing you to turn around. 
 
“Do you really hate me that much to get us kicked out of class?” Kris looked down at me as he cornered me. You felt tears welling up in your eyes, the tears were threatening to fall but you refused to give in, at least not in front of Kris. You took a deep breathe and looked at Kris in the eyes. “Yes, yes i do. I hate you so much i wish you would vanish from my life forever.” You pushed Kris away and picked your bag up. Kris gripped your arm tightly and swirled you around. Before you knew it, you were pinned against the wall. 
 
“I am sorry for leaving you. I know you hate me because i didn’t talk to you at all. I’m sorry, i didn’t know how to react when i saw you again.” Kris apologised guilty as he released your pinned arms.  “Kris, do you not get it? I don’t hate you because you don’t talk to me. I’m fine with that.” He looked up at you with a curious gaze. You bit the insides of your cheeks as you start to rant.
 
“I hate you because you were always better than me. You always came in first. And me? I had nothing. My parents would compare and i would always be the one suffering. I hated you so much i wanted you to die. But you were my friend. When i finally became the best art student, you came in and took everything from me! Why are you so selfish?! Why do you always do this to me?!” Tear drops fell down from your cheeks, staining them before they hit the ground. You grabbed your bag and ran out of the school as fast as your legs could transport you.  
 
Kris was in a daze until he realised that you had suffered so much because of him. He chased after you as your figure disappear. You found a quiet spot not far from the bus stop and sat there to cry your heart out. Black clouds clouded the sky, blocking the sun’s ray from reaching down to earth. Soon, it started to pour heavily, drenching you. You were too tired and devastated to move so you sat there and cried your heart out. “Why?! Can’t you see that this pathetic girl likes you too?” I pounded your first against the wall until they bled. You collapsed onto the ground while the rain pounded onto you like bullets. You continued to punch the wall until a large hand prevented your fist from hitting against the wall. You looked up and saw Kris standing there with a huge umbrella. 
 
“Stop hurting yourself___.” He squatted down to your level. You roughly wiped your tears away and stood up. “Go away. I don’t need your pity.” He turned you around and continued,” I heard you saying that you like me and i have something i want to say too.” He titled your head up as he held your cold hand in his big and warm hands. You looked up at him with a blush hanging on your face. 
 
“I have liked you since we were a kid and i still like you now. As you know, i am not someone who is very good at expressing my emotions so that’s why i didn’t have any communications with you. Because i was afraid that you might not feel the same. But i am really sorry for causing you so much pain. I am very sorry. I can understand if you hate me for being better than you. It is alright if you reject me. But, i will still ask you. ___, will you be my girlfriend that i protect and the girl that i give my love to? Will you be Ace’s mother? ” 
 
Kris held his breathe as he waited for your answer. Your face brightened at the word ‘Ace’. You were the one who had given Ace to Kris for his birthday and did not expect him to still keep it with him. “Kris, i have been waiting for years for you to say that. I love you Kris. What has happened has happened and we can’t change it can we? But at least we can change the future.”  Kris dropped the umbrella as he hugged you tightly.
 
 “Thank you for giving me another chance. I love you ___.” He kissed you gently yet it was full of passion. You placed your hands on his chest, feeling the erratic thumping of his heart. Kris had lighted you off the ground and spun you around. He kissed you again but this time it was longer and more passionate. Kris had poured all his emotions into the kiss and you felt it. This was how you had your first kiss. It was under the rain and the man kissing you was your crush, Kris. “I love you so much Kris.” “Me too, our memories starts afresh from now.”