Chapter 1

How to Steal a Mermaid

 

Standing in the middle of his quite small bathroom, staring right at the tub and the person having the best day of their lives in it or at least the best in quite a while, Mun Junghyuk was sure this was not his brightest idea that ever appeared in his head and he was going to regret it for sure.

Nay, he had already regretted it.

However, that thought only appeared in him way later, when it was too late and did not matter much anymore. He wished he listened to the warnings he got or his friends were more forceful in trying to stop him.

It did not matter much anymore. He been there and done that and he currently faced a situation. And he thought of the person he was before this whole idea appeared in his head.

It’s been two months since he last thought like a decent person. Two months and somehow it felt so terribly in the past.

Two months since his logical, well-planned self which he gave up for a momentary craziness that turns out was not so momentary.

He thought of these things and he wished oh-so passionately he could back in time.
 

 

Mun Junghyuk did not have big dreams for the future. He wanted to graduate university properly, find a good job, buy a house, make a family and live the rest of his life in peace.

He did not want to grant the world and bring world peace, or become famous and go on a tour, visiting every single fan of his. No way, he found those things rather energy-draining and for something, that definitely sounded hateful to his ears.

No. He just wanted a simple, peaceful life in which he did not have to worry about a thing and could lean his head onto his pillow relaxed every night.

For him, this was maybe the higher great one could ever achieve in their lives.
 

True enough, for now he was struggling a bit. He paid the monthly rent for a tiny apartment, consisting of a bedroom, a bathroom with toilet, a small kitchen and not much bigger ‘living room’ or anything one would want to use that space for. Junghyuk used it as a living room, he was not able to welcome there more than 2-3 guests all at once per se.
 

He definitely did not have a good job. It was also quite far from ‘proper’ or ‘full-time’ job, he only worked as a part-timer in a convenience store close to his place – from six pm to twelve am. The pay was not much but it was enough for him to pay his rent and survive until his next pay check – thanks to his mother’s emergency food deliveries coming from home.
 

He was also far from that ideal family picture he had in mind. Despite being handsome and having generally a good personality, he could not say he had many girlfriends in his life. Somehow they always broke up with him after a short while, so, he felt lucky being able to keep his current girlfriend for more than three months now.

It was tiring for Junghyuk though. The girl was definitely tiring with her hyper, energetic personality compared to his… well, bear-like way of living. He loved to sleep, loved to stay home and anyway, loved to keep the peaceful atmosphere with not doing anything ‘unpeaceful’. That’s the kind of life he lived and so, being dragged away from home and being told ‘yah, act a bit excited, will you’ did not make his life simpler. He felt rather unfortunate.
 

He was lucky for once though. One thing he was certainly lucky in: he did not pay university fees, he was a scholarship student and he did work hard in his studies so he would not lose this certain, life-saving scholarship. That’s how he spent almost every night with studying, have a few hours sleep before going to school and then to his part time job – three times in weekdays and then on the weekend.

It was tiring, both mentally and physically but the goal before his eyes helped him going forward: graduating from his business major and finally achieving the life he had always dreamed of.

This young-ish struggling did not seem to be a huge price for peace later.
 

All in all, despite all of these, he was satisfied with his life. He attended university and lived in an apartment he rented for a generally good price (for its size), he also had a rather satisfying part time job.
 

Or so, this is what he thought, firmly believed in until one day five tickets were slammed onto the table in the cafeteria of the university.
 

“I got them.” The boy said gasping, as if he had been running all this time. “I finally got them at last.”
 

Junghyuk stared at the tickets, then at the boy wearing a proud expression and he was truly amazed, but not surprised.

Lee Minwoo was the kind of person whom did not rest till he got what he wanted, Junghyuk knew him well, they have been friends since high school and remained friends even at university, though different majors.

If he had to describe Minwoo somehow, he would have said despite his actual small size, inside Lee Minwoo was an extremely tall person. He had confidence and an amazing willpower, and getting into university despite his foolishness and terrible grades and how he almost failed his exams was a proof of that.
 

Even if it’s dance major, he thought to himself sometimes, he is really good in it though.
 

Sometimes he envied him. Minwoo seemed to have huge dreams and he never was satisfied with the least, he aimed for the most. Unlike Junghyuk, whom wanted to have a stable and ordinary life, Minwoo wanted to take over the world with his dancing skills.

He was capable of it, Junghyuk was sure. He had a charm that not many people possessed and anyway, Junghyuk was sure it would not suit just anyone.
 

All in all, Minwoo never failed to amaze Junghyuk but watching him also made him tired. He always worked hard and was a generally fizzy person, so energetic… sometimes too energetic for Junghyuk.
 

“Seriously?” Junghyuk lifted his brows, “The tickets to the aquarium?”
 

“Not just simple tickets. The exclusive ones.” He sat down next to Junghyuk and took a sip from his drink to Junghyuk’s dismay, “You know. There. I got them.”
 

There. Junghyuk knew it well what Minwoo meant, after all he had been watching him suffer for weeks now.

It was another proof for his extremely strong willpower and how he was going to win at the end no matter what he did.
 

About three months ago, a certain company had announced their promotion game: their products – potato chips if you are curious – had codes hidden in them, which must be uploaded on their website to get a chance and win their prizes.

There were all kinds of things: headphone, laptop, a ticket to Beijing, however, this was not what interested Minwoo. He did not need neither the headphone even though it was a quite expensive brand with all kinds of extras nor the laptop, he did not want to go to Beijing either, or at least not if it was not some official dance tour.

There was one thing though that caught his eyes and launched immediate creation of ideas in his head: exclusive tickets to the aquarium.
 

There was a reason to why he was so interested in this prize.

About three years ago, the news about finding an actual, real life mermaid swept through not just the country, but the whole world. There was a huge uproar about it, arguments about the credibility of the whole issue and once that was cleared up, both human and animal rights activists had started to act up in relations of how the mermaid should be treated.

Later, people were angry because the mermaid should have been titled as merman considering its , but people kept calling it mermaid due to old habits. Activist took up the role to preach about gender and how the merman definitely would not want to be called as a ‘maid’, he must be offended and anyway he should have the right to choose.

(Junghyuk was sure the merman did not mind it much. He was sure he did not even have the idea what is going on, the poor thing was probably too frightened to think about any of these. It felt like a minor problem compared to being held captive.)
 

No one really knew what was going on with the merman for a while. Sometimes, announcements were made about the results they achieved while they examined the mermaid as people usually did with anything new they found.

The results among the many were, for example, how he was omnivorous like humans, how he did not speak a language people could understand, to be honest they never even heard his voice to begin with.

(Junghyuk was not surprised, he doubted he would want to speak in a situation like that.)

They also came to the conclusion the merman had both lungs and gill, making it possible for him to survive on both land and in sea. However, given his fish tale (which they measured as 1,4 metres from the tip of the tail to his waist, and if they counted his upper body, Junghyuk’s first thought was how he would make a terribly tall man), he was more accustomed to the sea rather than to the land.

In the end they reasoned with the following: they must be living in the sea but give birth on land. Which had nothing much to do with males, but pointing in the darkness again meant them saying males might take part in the procedure.

(Junghyuk simply thought they might like sunbathing.)

Merpeople are semi-aquatic – the researchers said it very cleverly in the end.

They wished they could examine the way of merpeople’s reproduction, however, they did not yet succeed in that.

(To what Junghyuk had said: the merman did not feel . Junghyuk would not either for sure.)

They also made a bunch of other statements, for example how they see well in dark and their canines had paralyzing poison in them, probably for hunting and self-protection purposes.
 

Humanity felt powerful with all these information and they were truly amazed on themselves and their capability of doing a generally great job.

Pictures were released and the amazement spread to both citizens and netizens.

Junghyuk, however, did not like to look at the photos. In his eyes, the merman looked painfully lonely and frightened and Junghyuk came to the conclusion that - in his opinion - was more relevant than anything else the researchers said in the past months, years: no one really cared much of what the merman actually might have felt and that told a lot about humanity in general without any kind of flashy research.
 

Anyway, after they got what they wanted – guessing, guessing and guessing – they tossed the merman into the biggest aquarium, saying, that’s the best place for him… well, instead of his natural habitat.

They built a tank for him, an expensive one. The surface had the land and from the basement level the visitors could watch him underwater through huge windows with thick glass.

It was an expensive tank for a generally expensive creature – for the visitor. One had to buy an ‘exclusive ticket’ if they wanted to visit this part of the aquarium as well, the normal ticket did not cover it. And of course, the exclusive ticket was expensive or at least for Junghyuk, a normal college student, definitely.
 

And so, this is where Minwoo, the company’s promotions and those tickets came in the picture, found way to each other and started a three months long suffering.

Because the biggest prize was not the trip to Beijing for many people, but the three exclusive tickets to the aquarium.

That had been Minwoo’s goal all along.

Because Minwoo was extremely curious about the merman and was terribly annoyed about how things had been arranged. He was angry over the prices and watching the sneak pictures and videos about him was just oil on the already high flames in him.

It’s fate, that was what he said when the promotion game was announced by the company and since then Lee Minwoo ate ten package of chips every single day and uploaded the codes tirelessly.
 

And in the end he won. And Junghyuk was amazed but not surprised, he had this feeling Minwoo was going to succeed sooner or later. And here it is, he really did.
 

The number of tickets, however, was not correct. The prize talked about three tickets, but there on the table was five no matter how many times Junghyuk counted.
 

“But this is five.” He said in the end and waited for the explanation.
 

“My girlfriend bought two actually.” He said, “She wanted to go on a date there, but she has to work, she is busy these days, so she gave them to me telling to go with friends.”
 

“Older girlfriends certainly are amazing.” Said a voice from Junghyuk’s side, Park Choongjae.
 

Choongjae was a tall and athletic guy, with the eyes of a black panther and never up to anything good. He was a good, warm-hearted person, but mischievous beyond measure and somehow this turned him even more attractive in the eyes of ladies.

He had a sports scholarship and he was also younger than both Minwoo and Junghyuk, still, somehow they always ended up sitting together and if someone asked how they had gotten to know each other Junghyuk would have replied: I have no idea.

He really did not. Some friendships just form without knowing where they came from. They are just there before you realize it.
 

Kim Dongwan or Lee Sunho, also sitting at the table, were different cases.

Kim Dongwan was also a friend from high school and was a medical student. He was going to be a doctor and the role weirdly suited him especially whenever he tried to heal everyone, even a cold. However, Junghyuk sometimes had to smile to himself as he imagined the short man wearing a doctor’s cloak, being oversized, the coat brushing his knees and the tip of his fingers.

Sunho was an exchange student majoring in English. He came from the US through the exchange program between the two universities. For how he ended up in Junghyuk’s crew had something to do with Choongjae and how he was caught up in one of his wrong-doings and the two somehow ended up as friends.

Afterwards they found out getting caught up was not quite accidental considering the boy’s nature being on the same level as Choongjae’s, if not worse and thus, the two boys clicked well.
 

This was the usual line-up of sitting in the cafeteria and the female students enjoyed to stare at that table in the corner, full with handsome young men.
 

“Are you jealous of my older girlfriend?” Minwoo asked on a teasing tone, winking at Choongjae, “Well, no wonder, adult’s life certainly is different.”
 

Everyone sighed. At least once a week they all listened to Minwoo’s bragging about his girlfriend, whom was thirty, working for a huge company and being extremely y and beautiful.

And she was head-over-heels for Minwoo. For this boy, whom ate ten pack of chips every day to win some tickets to see a mythical creature that only became a real thing recently – despite how our predecessors were mentioning them all the time, literally screaming into our ears.
 

This time, however, he went straight to the point and did not have a bypass for bragging, “Anyway, I’ve thought we can all go.” He took the tickets and fanned himself with them, “My treat.”
 

“I’m not sure.” Junghyuk talked and all the eyes suddenly got glued on him.
 

They knew what he was planning to say.

Junghyuk had a problem which was not relatively huge but could lead to serious things.

The name of the problem was Na Taehee. His very own girlfriend, whom, he thought, might even marry one day and have children with. The ideal future picture.

However, Taehee, she… she was an interesting case and somehow Junghyuk was sure he won’t ever marry her and even if he did, they won’t have children, but instead will have a divorce.

He was not really into her to begin with and had no idea why he dated her.

But he at least knew why he was not into her.

Taehee, she… she suited Minwoo more than the energy-reserving Junghyuk.

Her wildness also suited Choongjae more than Junghyuk, whom planned ahead. Whose life was planned out and wanted peace.

Her way of thinking suited Dongwan more than Junghyuk, whom did not really think much of things or if he did, he kept it inside.

Her cuteness hidden evilness suited Sunho more, than Junghyuk whose appearance did not really hide his true nature. He looked like a bear and he was a bear, truly.

All in all, she suited all his friends rather than him, himself.
 

Taehee was a tiring woman if he wanted to summarize her short.

If she felt like that, she would just appear in his doorstep uninvited and with the same suddenness she would just disappear. She would drag Junghyuk around wherever she wanted to go and if Junghyuk refused, she turned into and angered fury.

She was not one to get on her bad side either – she was vengeful.

She took things easy and left things and people easily.

She was quick and sudden and with strong feelings – she experienced all her feelings way too passionately for Junghyuk’s nerves.
 

Taehee was also one stubborn of a woman and this is how they got together actually, she kept chasing Junghyuk till he gave in. There was no escape from her.

She was also an extremely righteous woman and this is where the problem lied: she had been against this whole merman issue since the beginning and had been the part of the demonstrations since they started.

‘If you go and watch, you support them. Do not dare to go.’ Said her once and seeing the anger in her eyes told Junghyuk it’s better to stay away.

He knew how much trouble he would be in if he went to the aquarium and he was not sure if she wanted to awoke the fury.
 

Minwoo grimaced, “Even though I’ve thought I might give a ticket to that selfish woman.”
 

“She would probably shove it down on your throat.” Said Sunho, “What about Dongwan anyway?”
 

He shrugged, “He works there, he can go whenever he wants. For free.”
 

Dongwan, weirdly, worked part-time at the aquarium three times a week – he was a night watch.

So different from his major at the uni.
 

“I guess I won’t go.” Junghyuk said, “It feels weird anyway to watch something that is almost like a human.”
 

He did not lie. There was a weird feeling creeping into his chest whenever he thought of standing before the window and have a human looking right back at him – even if he had a fish tail.
 

“What a coward.” Mumbled Dongwan, “Seriously, what is the worst thing that could happen to you…”
 

Choongjae snickered, “He would get killed.”
 

Sunho nodded, “Or dumped.”
 

“Good riddance.” Sighed Minwoo then added, his eyes fixed in the distance, “Talk about the devil.”
 

Junghyuk followed his gaze and there she was, Na Taehee floating in the cafeteria with her waving body as she was walking on her long and fine legs, her black hair resting on her chest, having all the curves of her body checked out by the boys around. She had an angered expression, her eyes were on fire and two red dots appeared on her cheeks like all the other times she was annoyed.
 

Junghyuk’s heart skipped a beat not in the most pleasant or right way.
 

Junghyuk knew this expression well by now. The thing about Taehee, she was always annoyed.

Someone cut in front of her anywhere. Someone not using formal speech with her. Boys checking her out. The mermaid business. Idiocy. People. Unfair things of the world. Anything.

Taehee was always annoyed, there was no thing on Earth that would not make her angry, that’s the kind of person she was.

Forever angry.
 

She took her waving steps to their table, her red lips moved to a smile, showing off her teeth and for a moment they looked sharp enough to rip out one’s throat.

A gentle gleam was in her brown gaze as she looked at Junghyuk, sometimes she was like this. Sometimes she would look so kindly at Junghyuk it felt weird to have such a vicious nature to her, but again, that gleam disappeared in an instant as soon as she saw the tickets in Minwoo’s hands.
 

“I hope you do not plan on going.” Said her, directing her words to Junghyuk but never tearing her gaze away from the tickets.
 

Junghyuk shook his head immediately, let’s save the saveable.
 

“Good.” She said, showing off those terrifying teeth, gently caressing his cheek, “We are so done if I find out you take part in such terrible, inhumane things.”
 

She sent a glare to Minwoo and left.

And it occurred to Junghyuk, they all might have suited each other more than Junghyuk did, but in the end they just really hated each other, Taehee and his friends, especially Minwoo.
 

Once she left Minwoo turned to Junghyuk, his expression was angered and fired up and talked about a determination that Junghyuk knew, did not promise anything good to him.
 

“Don’t worry, Junghyuk-ah.” Minwoo said, “You are coming and will have the time of your life. I’ll cover you even if my life depends on this.”
 

And that moment Junghyuk felt it in his bones it would have been better to just stay home that day and study and forget about the world.

Especially Taehee, Minwoo and a certain merman.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

A/N:

As promised, we have a new story debut in May!
For those, who have been waiting, thank you for your patience, for those checking in now, also thank you. Hope all of you enjoyed the first chapter, got your interest picked and will keep an eye on this new rom-com series, taking over H&G's 'timeslot'.

Taehee is an original character, she is mine, please don't hate her too much because I kinda like her especially because her fury nature is similar to mine, same goes to being angry all the time. xD

Hopefully I did not manage to offend anyone with anything I had in this story, I'm sorry, unfortunately I'm salty over humanity beyond measure lol

Anyway, see you next month with the next chapter. (also anticipate the finale chapter of H&G)

take care