Chapter 4

Runaway

"I see you like Miss Tang," a voice bursted his bubble while he was pruning the flower bed and he almost choked on air. Had he been this obvious? 

"Aunty Zhao," he asked breathlessly as he couldn't figure out why he felt like a child who got found out that he had hidden a candy, "wh- how?" 

"How do I know this?" Aunty Zhao asked me a light chuckle. Kris nodded. "I'm an old lady, Kris. I can read their faces." 

He really had been very obvious. 

Aunty Zhao stretched out her hand to give a bottle of water into his hand. Kris politely accepted it with both hands. "I don't object though. Xia is a nice girl." Kris nodded. "She is also very lonely, even though she doesn't show it." His heart jolted. The thought of Xia, the girl with a bright happy smile being a lonely very seemed quite illogical. 

"How-" Kris Wu started but was soon cut off by Xia's voice. 

"There you are, Aunty Zhao," she smiled and walked over to Aunty Zhao, her arms stretched out, which found their place on the older woman's waist as Xia went in for a hug. She looked so happy and relieved as she hugged Aunty Zhao. For a moment there, Kris wished that he could be in Aunty Zhao's place. Kris Wu, stop! He told himself. "What's for dinner?" Xia asked as her chin settled on Aunty Zhao's shoulder. 

"Fried chicken and salad," the older woman replied gently as she patted Xia's back. The girl smiled, and caught Kris's eyes, which made her smile even more so. 

Ugh! He really cannot handle how cute Xia can be. 

 

Their dinner is always in the kitchen and most of them time, they all work together. Xia and Kris are Aunty Zhao's minions while herself cooks the meal. Kris does not object to the idea even if it is after the end of a tiring day for all he has to do is help peel garlic and onions or cut vegetables. Today, Xia sat beside him at the kitchen counter, her legs dangling off the stool with them almost touching him. They peeled the onions together and started crying when the onion fumes hit their nose. 

"Here," Kris's thumbs absent-mindedly went to her face and gently wiped them away. Xia looked at him in wide eyes and blushed intensely even though she didn't move away. Only after he had wiped her tears that Kris realized what he had done and abruptly removed his hands off her. Thankfully, Aunty Zhao was absorbed into frying her chicken. After a while, he heard a slight giggle from Xia, who gestured at his face, telling him he had tears in his eyes. He laughed and wiped his tears off. "This is such a very sad movie," he added. 

"It's called 'Death of a chicken'," Xia spoke with such a straight face that Kris couldn't handle the seriousness of such a childish movie title. He started laughing until he had another pool of tears in his eyes. To his surprise, he didn't know what made him laugh that hard; the presence of Xia or the fact that he is not longer as stressed as he used to be. 

~~~

 

"Xia, psssst!" he called her name as she was taking a walk in the garden. Xia looked at him and walked over to stand in front of him. "Erm," he stammered, not knowing what to do now that Xia was standing in front of him looking up at him in her round eyes. She nodded to encourage him to continue speaking. "I was wondering when you would be free to go out on a date I asked a while ago," his voice came out a little hasty and fast but he was quite sure she heard it.

Xia's cheeks started turning pink before she smiled, "Oh," she exclaimed and paused to think for a while, "Aunty Zhao said she'd be away for Saturday evening because she wanted to visit her relative in another town. Can we go then?" 

Kris smiled, "Saturday." 

"Saturday," she confirmed with a soft smile. 

~~~

 

Kris never had problems with dressing nicely when he was an actor. Technically, he is still an actor - just under hiatus. He was always happy with whatever he chose to wear because he knew he'd look good in it. However, this date with Xia made him a feel nervous. It might have been her aura that made him want to dress in a way that he does not take this date quite lightly, so he started assembling his wardrobe. 

Short-sleeved t-shirt, jeans, trainers. Too casual. 

Shirt. Dress pants. leather shoes. Too formal. 

In the end, he settled for a shirt and fitted cotton pants combination with his white plimsolls; clean and simple. Then, he took an extra cardigan for warmth in case it gets cold in the evening. He was quite nervous waiting for Xia to come down from her room into the foyer. He had already done his hair and picked a rose in full bloom for her as he waited. Kris was giving a few final touches on his hair when Xia finally came down and he felt like his breath hitched for a while. 

Xia was wearing a simple cotton, skater dress, the usual dress she wears on hot summer day but this one looked more formal. The dress is ivory with coral and yellow flowers scattered on it. She looked sweet and demure at the same time with the dress and an open-toed wedges. On her wrist were dainty gold charms. She smiled as soon as she saw him, "You look very nice today, Mr.Hu," Kris was taken aback for a while before he realized that he is currenly under a false identity. He smiled awkwardly. 

They both had started to walk towards the door before she stopped him suddenly, "Wait." He the spot towards her as she said it and looked at her, feeling quite confused. She handed him her purse. He thought she wanted him to hold her purse like some of the city girls who always make their boyfriends hold their purses but he was wrong. Xia reached for his arm and started rolling up his sleeves and stopping the roll as just below his elbow. 

Afterwards, she smiled, "Now you look less strung up." Kris chuckled at her statement. They walked past the full-body mirror that was set up beside the front door and Kris got a glimpse of them together as he opened the door for her to walk through. We look good together, he caught himself thinking that and immediately wanted to hit himself. 

"Xia," he called her name as they walked out of the front porch and handed her the rose. Xia blushed a little as she took it before she snapped the stem of the flower. Kris was suddenly alarmed and was disappointed. Then, Xia put the rose in her hair suddenly before pinning it on the side of her head with the pin she magically produced from her purse, which she had obtained back from him. 

"Do I look pretty now?" she laughed, as if she meant that to be a joke. 

"Very pretty," he answered seriously with a smile before they started walking again.  

Kris looked at her, flabbergasted, when she handed him a set of keys. "Car keys," she spoke, "you're the man today. Take me anywhere." Kris felt quite offended because he should be the one who's taking her out but then he realized that he's playing the part of a gardener who appeared out of nowhere and Tang household is in the middle of nowhere called Shujing village, so it's logical that they will have to take a car. Kris really, really misses his Aston Martin and a part of him is sure that he will be more of an impressive man if he is with his Aston Martin. 

~~~

 

Half an hour later, Kris is still driving on a highway, not knowing where to go. He kept going around in circle, sometimes getting into little town to see what he would fancy and he fancied nothing. He was literally screwed on his own date that he set up to take out the girl he likes. 

Xia seemed to know his struggles, she kept peering at his face but said nothing. She sat silently and let him take the wheels, which Kris felt thankful for because he had gone out with a few girls who would talk so much and boss him around as he drove. He hates backseat drivers and he is glad Xia is not one. 

"Kris," she spoke in the end, seemingly unable to withstand his struggles, "do you mind if I suggest you a place?" 

Kris shook his head. He felt defeated. Xia smiled as her hands motioned at him to pull over to the side , "Then, we'll need to change seats." 

 

Twenty minutes later, Xia parked her car in front of an old European house; the windows were lit and there were people bustling in there. The restaurant looked luxurious yet homely at the same time and Kris was honestly confused at the vibe. It looked more like a country club rather than a restaurant.

"Welcome, Miss Tang," a waiter greeted her and Xia asked for a VIP table. Both of them were led to a balcony, where there were a few tables set up, each a distance away from the other for privacy. 

"Do you like it?" Xia asked gingerly as she sat on the chair he pulled out for her. 

Kris took his place in front of her, "I really like it. Thank you. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't know this place exists," he complimented. 

Both of them had their meals and had wine, while both being careful that they shouldn't go overboard with alcohol since they would have to drive back. After the meal, Kris went to the counter to pay for the meal, in card since he did not want her to see his real name on the card. As he was paying, the waiter had been summoned due to an accident at one of the tables. Kris stood there waiting for the waiter to return. A well-dressed man about his age came up, with a leather folder in his hand to pay for his meal. 

"Excuse me," he started. Kris's throat constricted, thinking that he had been caught, "are you here with Xia?" 

He exhaled, "Yes, I am." 

The stranger smiled, "Now that is strange." 

"Why?" 

"Because she owns this place." Kris's jaw dropped. The stranger continued, "You didn't know?" Kris shook his head, still stunned from shock. 

"Doesn't she just own a few vineyards?" 

"This is her vineyard. There's a vineyard behind the restaurant," the man chuckled, "but this is the best restaurant to dine around this area so I'm sure why she'd want to bring you here for a date." 

Kris felt a little shy after knowing that the guy saw through him. "This one is called The Vineyard. Next time, go to her another restaurant, The Swan. It's quite a drive from here but the scenery is to die for. They have excellent wine selection there too," The stranger continued fondly. 

Xia has not one but two restaurants?! Kris's brain was ringing now. He knew Xia was rich but not to this extent. 

"Treat her well, okay?" The stranger guy bade him goodbye as Kris Wu completed his transaction and left.

 

On their way back home, Kris and Xia did not speak much. All he could think was about how Xia is really rich and he honesly does not know how he'd want to handle it. With his current status of a gardener, it is almost a dream come true that Xia chose to go on a date with him but he did not want to think further. 

"Kris, do you.... want to go for a walk before we head back to our rooms?" Xia suggested hesitantly as she got off the car. He nodded and went along with her. 

The evening in the village was tranquil, as usual. Their footsteps were accompanied with the sound of pebbling gliding against each other as they stepped on the ground. Kris could almost here the sound of cricket in the background as they walked. They both kept walking, without an aim. Xia walked by his side quietly, her face was unreadable but she had a childlike wonder across her face. Then, they both came to a stop at the edge of a wood. Kris has never been there before. 

"You know, they say you can see deers in the wood on a snowy day," Xia peered into the unforeseeable part of the wood, "do you think it's true?" 

Kris shrugged and threw his cardigan over her, making sure it covered her shoulders since the temperature had started to drop. He felt her jump slightly at the contact but she didn't react violently. After a few minutes of her peering into the wood, he reminded her that they should go back and headed back to her house. Kris still hasn't spoken anything to her. He was thinking of what to talk when the back of her hand started brushing against his. When he looked at her, it seemed like she was unaware of it. He thought for a couple of seconds until he grabbed a hold of her hand and firmly held in his. 

"Took you long enough," she spoke with slight giggle and a faint blush sweeping across her face. He laughed. "Is something wrong?" she asked, "you became quite silent after the dinner." 

He opened his mouth to ask the question that was burning inside him to ask but he shut his mouth. "You can ask me, you know," she suggested. 

"So, I met someone at the restaurant," he started. 

"Uh huh." 

"And found out that you own that restaurant and another restaurant. Why did you hide it from me?" 

Xia's head lowered as she stared at the ground, like a child who got caught lying. "I actually don't want you to feel pressured..." she explained, "I know you work here and all that but I don't want you to feel pressured because of what I own." 

Kris's heart constricted painfully. Here he is, hiding his actual identity of multi-millions net worth status of an actor, wanting to date a simple, countryside girl who has businesses, and yet unable to tell her his truth with a selfish fear of her finding out about him while she is also trying to hide her own identity so that she wouldn't not pressure his false identity of a gardener. 

You're seriously so pure... Kris caught himself thinking and felt ashamed of his own lies. He gripped on her hand tighter as he was unable to tell the truth. "It's okay, Xia," he sighed, "I'd much rather you telling me the truth and not feel pressured." Xia didn't say anything but smiled and nodded. 

Their way back home was much similar to the one they left with the exception that the two were walking in a closer proximity. Their hands were linked and Kris was glad how she didn't shake him off. He felt an immense rush of peace overwhelming his body from just holding her hand. There was also an exhilarating thrill but there was also something that put him at ease by just holding her hand, as if she was a human tranquiliser for his messy state of mind. The two enjoyed each other's company in peace.

"Will you tell me what you ran away from?" Xia asked unexpectedly. Kris was alarmed, for the second time the same night, and stared at her. She continued, "You looked very troubled when you first appeared and you sleep talked on the first few nights you were here. I could hear them from my room. Those are signs of an extremely stressed person." 

Kris let out a little sigh but he can't be too sure yet. Has his identity been found out? 

"Is it a past relationship?" she offered an answer in hope upon seeing that he still had not replied to her. 

Kris nodded, "I spent so many years in this relationship," his metaphor of the relationship between himself and his acting career, "then one day, a mistake happened. A mistaken so big that I didn't know where and when it happened." He sighed, "So I ran. Like a coward." 

"Kris," her hold on his hand tightened and then relaxed, "sometimes you don't need to face it straight on, you know. No mistakes is un-fixable. It takes a little time," she encouraged him. "Don't worry, you'll be fine." 

"Thanks," Kris muttered as he held onto her hand tighter. 

 

"Here we are," she announced as they both arrived back home. "Here's your cardigan," she gave back the cardigan to him with her free hand. Just as she was about to retract her hand from his and leave, he held onto her, their hands were still attached. 

"Thank you for the lovely evening." 

Xia smiled, "The pleasure's all mine." He was expecting her to leave but she didn't. He took a step forward, she didn't back off. There was certain tension in the air, which was thickening further and further with the ticking time. An unknown force was pulling him towards her. His face leaned in towards her slowly, inch by inch. Her eyes fluttered shut. Kris leaned in closer; he could almost count her lashes now. His hands reached up towards the back of her neck and slowly tilted to lift her face up. Her hands warily wrapped around his waist. Kris closed his eyes and leaned further in. 

"Will you two just kiss already?!" They both heard a voice that caused them to immediately jump away from each other. It was Aunty Zhao, who was out on the balcony above. "Such build-up of tension," she teased. 

Kris could see that Xia was red beyond the shade of a ripe tomato. "Good night," she whispered quickly and dashed towards the entrance door. Kris's heart felt empty just as the door was shut. He wanted to glare at Aunty Zhao but couldn't; the old woman is too nice and adorable to get annoyed at. 

That night, Kris lay on his bed thinking about the date he went on; he could still remember how she smelled, peonies with a hint of musk. He smiled as he rolled on his bed, reaching for the phone he had abandoned for a few days; his work phone. As much as he loves living in this dream fantasy of a gardener, he needs to return to his reality one day.

Kris, 
We have found a perfect legal team for your case. We need you back here. As soon as possible. 

Kris felt like a little boy whose soap bubble had been popped just as he was having fun playing with it. 

~~~

 

[Author's monologue:] I didn't know people were waiting for updates. I'm so sorry if I made you wait too long. I hope you enjoyed this update.