we are the driver of our own journey

Driving Lesson

step on the break, baby

 

Finally, after a series of heart attack and screaming once every three seconds in almost two hours long, they can find their calm heartbeat again. Yoon Doojoon is behind the wheel, and he never feels this happy to let his own self driving. Park Gyuri is beside him, carefully eyeing her boyfriend who suddenly looks enjoying too much navigating the car. He may even consider cautiously the next time she asks him to teach her driving again.

It’s not her fault that she’s just that bad at controlling those confusing panels, is it?

Park Gyuri is basically fated not be able to drive a car.

“Am I,” She breaks the night ride’s silence. “Am I that bad?” And Doojoon knows exactly what expression she wears while voicing out her question; she’s eyeing him anxiously and biting her lower lip out of nervousness.

He lets out a forced chuckle. “Of course not.” He shakes his head much to his amusement. “It’s really common for the beginner.” Which is an obvious lie because he can still remember what he prayed last time as his death wish. Doojoon glances at his side for a second, before continuing.

“Maybe for starter, you should just, you know, let me drive you every time.” He says sheepishly.

Gyuri’s driving ability is… no joke.

“What?” He hears her disappointed sigh. “That’s same as you won’t let me drive!” She’s pouting now, he knows, without having to see it by his own eyes.

Doojoon holds out his right hand to grab hers. He squeezes it gently.

“No, I mean you learn it by watching me drive. You will really take a good look while I explain what I am doing.” If things turn out like this, he always uses this kind of tone; soft, calm and as if that’s really how stuff works out. Gyuri doesn’t hate it, but that makes her feel like some kind of delinquent or hopeless person (well, maybe she’s hopeless, no?). “Until one day, I don’t have to tell you anything but you’re the one who explain everything. If you’re excel that, then we can be back into practicing again. How does it sound?”

She seals her lips, still pouting and in no mood to answer. One light squeeze gets her to turn her head and look at him. He throws her one assuring smile.

“Hey, I believe you’re a quick learner?”

“But with what you’re suggesting, it means no, right?”

The real question is, why did Yoon Doojoon bother to take her out in the evening and let her drive until sunset came? Everyone knows how bad Park Gyuri’s driving skill and no one is willing to take the risk of it. Gyuri herself already told him that she also doubted her own self, but he kept encouraging her.

To see the current situation, everyone will assume he finally gets it.

“Hyung, are you seriously gonna teach nuna driving?!”

He remembers Son Dongwoon’s bulging eyes, questioning his sanity.

“Let him be, Dongwoon-ah.” Lee Kikwang joined in. “Doojoon-ah, are you bored with life?”

“Seriously, you? Wanna taste a bit of death, eh?” Yong Junhyung also took role to participate.

But despite many endearing comments s threw at him, Doojoon still set the date and like a soldier who’s gonna leave for the war, he’s ready.

“No, don’t be like that. What I mean is, we should be open with any other possibilities in life, although sometimes we already know how it would end up.” Doojoon explains carefully and gets her silent completely.

Park Gyuri is not stupid. She knows what her boyfriend tries to imply. And somehow, he is right. Possibilities; we should keep opening our mind for those, shouldn’t we?

“Wanna watch how I speed up then step on the break suddenly?”

She turns her head to look at him with unreadable face. “No fun. You should watch me speeding up then miss the timing to step on the break.” She remarks nonchalantly which Doojoon replies by laughing desperately. The hairs on his neck already stand up imagining if that really happens.

Hearing his insincere laughter Gyuri snickers. “What? Aren’t you curious?”

“I am.” About how I should live after such kind of incident happened. “But it can wait. Now watch me carefully.” Determined, Doojoon swiftly changes the gear and the car is accelerated on the quiet road.

Gyuri’s eyes shift to the front once she feels he won’t lessen the speed sooner. They flicker as staring at the pitch black in front of them, as she holds her breath.

“Wat—“

His right hand moves in a blink of eyes as Doojoon steps on the break rather forcefully, then a long, loud screech is heard seconds later as the car comes to a full stop.

He takes a glance at the pale woman beside him before letting out a chuckle. “You can breathe now, dear.”

“I am breathing!” Gyuri snaps, glaring at him fiercely.

“Really?” The amused smile still glints around his tone.

“Of course! This is you. I know you won’t let me trapped in some danger.” Her face still mirrors some agitated expression, but her words gets Doojoon in awe. He widens his smile.

“I won’t.”

He takes her hands and they stare at each for a while.

“I know.” Gyuri eventually gives in, smile slowly formed on her lips. Too mesmerized with her beauty, Doojoon leans in and kisses her on the lips.

“I’m glad you know it.” He whispers.

The car moves again after a short break in the dead alley. Doojoon turns on the radio and Gyuri looks like she can relax a bit. She even hums along the song that being played as they enjoy their night ride.

An obnoxious sound interrupts their moment all of sudden, and Doojoon taps his phone to answer the call. He puts the speaker on as Yeosob’s loud voice fills in their hearing right away.

“Doojoon-ah! Still alive?!”

Gyuri snickers at the statement, but still lowering the volume of the radio. Doojoon shrugs his shoulders as glancing at her innocently.

“Apparently I am. Why?”

“The kids are so noisy wanting the update about your condition. Hyunseung said he knew someone who worked on funeral business just in case.”

Doojoon grimaces.

“Very well said, Yang Yeosob.” Gyuri retorts sarcastically.

“Oh, is that you, Gyuri-ah? So relieved our Doojoonie didn’t leave you alone after all.” But Yeosob is rather too stupid to notice or the conversation through the phone can’t really relay the message well.

“Why would I?!” Doojoon speaks to the phone again, irritated.

“Knowing you, of course there’s that possibility.”

Doojoon snorts, muttering profanities under his breath.

“He’s okay, I’m not dragging him to the graveyard, yet. Say that to the others. Your call is unnecessary. I’m hanging up!”

Just like that, Gyuri taps the ended icon. “What a caring buddies,” She scoffs.

“Yet sometimes I search the reasons to be grateful toward their existence.” Doojoon immediately agrees, head shaking in disbelief.

“What,” It’s like suddenly Gyuri is reminded about the most crucial thing she’s facing now. “Will they stay like that although I’m not the usual me anymore?”

There it is. Mentally Doojoon gets himself ready as eyeing her from the side. She hangs her head low and he can practically hear her silent sob. He slows down the car as now running on the side of the street.

“Well, you know them.” He tries making his voice as neutral as possible. “Junhyung might be little disappointed because he couldn’t ogle Hara’s performance on stage that has been saved into his laptop,” He grins at his own acting as back-mouthing his friend, but at least he can see a little smile appears on her lips.

“ert,” Gyuri replies, hiding her smile.

“But besides him, everything is gonna stay the same.”

Silence fills between them. The peaceful night street and the soft-hummed of the machine accompany them relishing some complicated things in their mind.

“Eunjung asked me to reconsider my choice.” Her voice comes out small, barely audible. It trembles and brings out fear and uncertainty in obvious way.

Doojoon is silent for a moment, cautiously chooses his words. “She is your best friend.” He speaks up. “She doesn’t want anything besides your happiness. She must be worried about you, so that she wanted you to be careful about whatever you’d choose later.”

Once again silence fills them as Gyuri can’t find the right words to answer. It’s not long though, because one minute later Doojoon gets puzzled hearing her soft chuckles.

“What is it? Did I sound funny?”

Still chuckling, Gyuri shakes her head. “Funny thing is, it’s unbelievable how those words were actually out of someone like you. I mean, I know how childish you are, yet you can make some wise advice that even Hyungdon oppa failed to do so.”

Doojoon feigns offended. “Of course I need to be wise to lead some brats like Beast.” He makes a disgusted face. “And really, Honey? That hyung is not even comparable to me. No one ever comes to him to ask about some wise advice.” He snickers.

Gyuri’s crisp laughter lightens the air (quietly, Doojoon feels so proud he can make his goddess to laugh like that). “Can’t help. Doni oppa is my trustable source about you, Doojoonie.” With the last line, he can’t argue anymore.

“Just, don’t trust him so much.” He grumbles and earns a nice laughter from her. Gyuri leans toward his side then gives him a peck on the cheek, and his frown is washed away instantly.

“Do you really believe in me no matter what, by the way?” Her tone is changed suddenly as she’s back into serious mode now.

Doojoon smiles. “Do you really need to ask me that?”

“I just,” Gyuri loses her ability to argue.

“Even Youngji said that you’re free with your decision. She asked me to take care of you while let you know that she wouldn’t want to become your burden.”

“Youngji? Why did she share something intimate with you? I mean, she didn’t even dare to greet you when seeing you for the first time.” She is surprised with the new fact.

“Well, you know how I have my own charm.”

Gyuri snickers. “Right. Your own charm.” She sarcastically remarks.

“Well, on serious note, it’s all up to you. No one has an authority to force you choose something you don’t want to. This is your life, certainly only you that have such an authority.”

“I know,” Her tone sounds gloomy again. “But—“

“No, there’s no more but, Honey. Really. You are the one controlling your own life.” His voice is firm, determined and at the same time able to soothe her unsure feeling. Park Gyuri is close to tear up now.

“Can you, can you pull put the car for a moment?” She asks through her scrannel voice.

Utterly confused, Yoon Doojoon still gets the car stop on the roadside, under one of the street lamps that pours them with its yellow light.

Without hesitancy even for a bit, Gyuri removes her seatbelt and leans closer to Doojoon, before cupping his face and place a kiss on his lips. She kisses him softly for a few seconds before parting away and stares right at his eyes.

Doojoon stares back at her, lovingly.

“I’m so grateful you’re willing to give me this driving lesson.” She quietly whispers. “I know what you did there, and I don’t know what I would do if you weren’t here by my side.”

Gently, Doojoon wipes away her tears that roll down on her cheeks without her knowing.

“And I know what I will be without you, I would become a mess for sure.” His voice is so tender that envelop her into a safety zone she can’t describe. “The feeling is mutual, Darling.” He says the final words then locks their lips once again in one long, sweet kiss.

 

Above them, the stars twinkle magnificently protecting them from any kind of darkness that often haunts their bright tomorrows.

 

 


author's note i'm not very satisfied with how this turned out /cries