Oh Christmas Tree

Deck The Halls

It was a rare evening in the Super Junior dorm.  Everyone was home.  Even the ones who did not currently live there had turned up for this special occasion.  It was a tradition that had started way back in the days when the band had first started and they didn’t have anything but each other.  When they were struggling to make it, everyone was always exhausted, and there never seemed to be much to smile about.  One day Leeteuk, being the leader that he was, had dragged Heechul out, and they had found a tree and some ornaments.  Leeteuk was determined that they were going to have a happy Christmas no matter what.

 

The tree was a bit shabby and the ornaments a bit worn, both having been second hand because there was barely enough money for food, let alone Christmas decorations.  No one knew how he had afforded it, but he had.  Ryeowook had managed to scrape together some snacks from the bits of food they did have, and it was one of the happiest Christmases any of them had ever had; sitting around on the floor surrounding their small, ill decorated Christmas tree, eating homemade treats and sharing stories.

 

A lot had changed since that first Christmas.  Their family had grown larger.  They had become more popular.  They had enough food, and lots to smile about now.  One thing hadn’t changed however.  They all still came together at Christmas time and decorated the tree.

 

Their original tree had been replaced with a larger one when the old one had fallen apart one year when they tried to put it up.  Their ornament collection had also grown, with them getting a new one every year, and from every place they traveled to.  Even though the trappings had changed, the spirit was still there year after year, and this year was no different.

 

Heechul was currently directing Siwon and Hyukjae as they dragged the large boxes of decorations out of the closet.  Ordering them where to put them and making sure nothing broke.

 

Ryeowook and Sungmin were in the kitchen cooking up manager approved goodies since they were still in the middle of the SS4 tour and had to watch their figures.

 

Kyuhyun was playing a game with Henry; sitting on the couch watching Siwon and Hyukjae labor with the heavy boxes.

 

Leeteuk was unpacking the boxes as they were brought into the living room.  Plugging in lights and making sure nothing was broken.  Zhou Mi was laying out the decorations so they would be ready when they were needed.

 

“When did we get this many decorations” Hyukjae huffed as he brought in the sixth box.

 

“I don’t know, but there’s still more so move it.”  Heechul barked

 

Kyuhyun laughed from his place on the couch.

 

“You could…Oh I don’t know….Help…Kyu.” Hyukjae kidded as he turned to go get another box

 

“Nope, I’m good here thanks.”

 

Donghae was acting like the 6 year old he secretly was on the inside.  Running around excitedly taking pictures…getting kicked out of the kitchen for picking at the food before it was ready...  He skidded into the living room and nearly knocked Leeteuk over.

 

“Donghae! Settle DOWN!”  Leeteuk ordered sternly

 

“I can’t Hyung.  It’s Christmas” He shouted, going over to the stereo and putting on some Christmas music.  He began to dance to the upbeat song that was on, grabbing Henry, and Shindong who was just walking and making them dance too.

 

They were still dancing, and Kyuhyun had joined in singing when Yesung and Kangin, who had somehow managed to get some leave from the army, came into the dorm; followed by Kibum.  Yesung had been sent to pick up the two absent members.  Their arrival caused quite a commotion in the dorm as everyone crowded around to call greetings and give great big glomping bro-hugs.  They were so caught up in the moment that they almost didn’t hear the knock on the door.

 

Kyuhyun was the first to notice it. He caught Leeteuk’s eye who nodded at him before calling above the noise,

 

“Heechul hyung, get the door.”

 

Heechul turned to him with narrowed eyes

 

“Excuse me. Are you giving me an order?”

 

“Yes I am.  Get the door.”

 

Another knock sounded, more insistent this time.

 

“Listen here Maknae.  Don’t think you’re too old for me to beat.  Because I will.” Heechul spat as he began to move toward the door

 

“Duly noted.  Now just open the door.”

 

“These damn kids…I swear…”  He cut himself off as he opened the door and let out a scream throwing himself into the arms of the man on the other side of the door.

 

Kyuhyun and the rest of the members smiled and chuckled at the sight.  It had been a chore keeping the secret that Hankyung was going to be there from Heechul; but it was worth it to see his reaction.

 

They eventually made it back inside the dorm laughing and smiling.  Hankyung greeted everyone with smiles and hugs. 

 

Once everyone got inside and settled down, all that was left was to get the tree.  Heechul dispatched Siwon and Kangin to take care of that.  They dragged the big box in and everyone helped to get the tree up.

 

Ryeowook and Sungmin brought the food in just as the tree was finished being assembled.

 

From there everything dissolved into chaos as 15 people set about decorating the tree.  The lights were strung by Kyuhyun and Kibum under the watchful eyes of Heechul; who made sure they covered every inch and that they were evenly spaced.  This resulted in Kyuhyun becoming fed up with Heechul’s nagging and wrapping Heechul in lights, being sure they were evenly spaced with no gaps.  Hankyung was eventually called in to break up the fight, and Eunhyuk and Donghae were assigned to finish the lights.

 

When the lights were on, the boxes of ornaments were opened and everyone gathered around to hang them up.  Picking them up and at times sharing stories about when they had gotten that particular ornament or of Christmases past.

 

 

The tree was quickly decorated with everyone helping, and the dorm was decked out with holly, ribbon, and lights.  It may have been cold and snowy outside but inside the Super Junior dorm the warmth of family and Christmas spirit was everywhere.

 

When they were finished Leeteuk clicked off all of the lights in the dorm until only the tree was glowing brightly against the night. He paused in the doorway to watch his family, his whole family.  Hankyung and Heechul were sitting together on the couch, catching up on everything that had happened since they’d last spoken.  Yesung and Ryeowook were sitting cuddled up on the loveseat watching Eunhyuk, Donghae, Kyuhyun and Henry fight over the last bits of food on the platter.  Zhou Mi was talking to Sungmin on the floor and Shindong was texting.  Kibum was talking to Siwon as they too watched the younger boys battle.  Leeteuk was so caught up in watching that he didn’t hear Kangin come up behind him.  He jumped as the younger man put a hand on his shoulder.

 

“It’s good to be home.” He whispered in Teuk’s ear.

 

“Yes.  Yes it is.”  Teukie sighed

 

“Come on.”

 

Kangin led his Hyung back into the warm living room by an arm around his shoulder.