final

The Guard

 

 

-1-

“No no no no… Father please… I’m sorry! I promise I wont do it again. I promise, please Father.” Solar pleaded towards the old man in front of her.

Her father sighed, “What did I tell you, Yong Sun? You need to think whenever you use your power. It’s dangerous.”

“I know, Father. And I’m really sorry, okay?” she looked at her father with her puppy eyes.

But her father shook his head, “This my final decision. You need to learn something. You need to fix his life, and before you succeed I wont give your wings and your power back. Do you understand?”

“But Father, I can’t live with him. Look at him, he’s a miserable jerk and his life was already a mess even before I did anything to it.”

“Young Sun!! Watch your language.” Her father yelled.

“But can I keep my power? I mean… how can I fix that kind of mess without my power, father? It will take me forever. I can’t live with him forever, can i?”

“No power no wings.” Her father said before leaving her daughter on her own.

Solar threw her punches in the air; she’s so screwed. How in the world can she live on her own without her power and her wings?

“You’re still here?” her father asked from the doorway.

She looked at her father in confusion, “Can I start tomorrow? It’s way too early on Earth.”

“Now!”

“But, Father I’m not ready yet.”

“Either you go on your own or I’m the one who’ll push you.”

“Father…” she couldn’t believe her father.

Solar tried to spread out her wings but fail.

“You can’t use you wings, remember?” her father said.

“What?! Do you want me to jump? I might die.” She said, dramatically.

Her father rolled his eyes, “You’re not going to die. You’re not even a human.”

She sighed before dragging her self closer to the edge of the cloud. She looked at her father for the last time, hopping that he’ll change his mind.

“Go on.” He said.

“Seriously?” She mumbled before jumping from the cloud.

In no minute Solar found herself standing in a room with half- man sleeping on the floor. He smelled like cheap booze and cigarette. Solar scrunched her nose; the room didn’t smell good either. She looked around the tiny room. It was too messy. Bottles of soju and cups of ramen were scattered around the room. There were lots (and lots) of dirty clothes; she could barely see the floor. There’s only one tiny mattress in the room but the guy didn’t sleep there.

“How can human live like this.” She mumbled, reaching a piece of clothing near her feet.

A boxer. She sighed, folding the boxer before placing it near his mattress. She repeated until finally she could see the floor. After removing bottles of soju and threw cups of ramen, Solar touched the guy with her feet.

“He’s alive, isn’t he?” she asked herself.

“Yah, Song Mino.” She called the guy.

No response.

“Huge boy!” this time louder.

The guy moved a little bit but still closed his eyes.

“Yah! Song Mino! Wake up you sneaky little jerk! The sun is almost set! You need to wake up and find a job!” she shouted.

Mino jolted from his sleep. He jumped from his position before hiding in the corner of the room. He didn’t remember bringing a girl home last nigh. Hell… he never brought a girl home, ever. Girls don’t like poor guy.

Solar rolled his eyes, “What? Are you scared of me? I am your so called guardian angel. Even though I hate to be called guardian angel, especially YOUR guardian angel. You are so unlucky, well… maybe that’s my fault.”

“Wh-who are you?” he stuttered with hands covering his bare chest.

“I am your freaking guardian angel, okay? My father sent me here, because I used my power irresponsibly. I tried to help you but you hhh…. You just made everything worst. You dig your own grave, dude.”

Mino only looked Solar in confusion.

“I know this is stupid and you might think ‘there’s no way a thing called guardian angel in this world’ but there is. And unfortunately I am yours.”

“Are you sure you’re not some kind of psycho or thieve or something?” he asked.

“Psycho? Really? And thieve? There’s nothing I can take here. Look around. Okay let’s put it this way. I was there when the police took your father to jail and I was there too when your mother left you. I was also there when you tried to kill your self. Four times, right? And the fourth time was supposed to be your last call but I stupidly saved you. And now I need to help you to fix anything that left.”

Mino stepped closer; Solar could see his fear turned into anger.

“You… Why you need to help me? You should just let me die; you should just let me drown in to that pitch-dark river. Do you know how much pain I held just to keep my life going?” he grabbed Solar by her collar.

“Hey… hey… I am sorry, okay? But I think you have so many things to live for. You’re only twenty-two. You haven’t find your wife yet, you don’t know what will happen in the future.”

“Wife? I can barely support my own freaking life, let alone a wife.” He growled.

“I know… I know. But I am here to help you fix your life. Now, do you mind placing me back on the groud?” she pointed her feet.

Solar stumbled on the ground when Mino released her collar.

“Now go put on some clothes and look for a job. You need to live and by that you need earn some cash.”

“This what you called helping?” he glared at the girl.

Solar nodded, “What? Do you expect me to throw some cash at you? Well… I wish I could, but the Lord up there just took my power and you have to do it manually.”

 

-2-

That afternoon was the first time Solar realized that without her wings and her power she was just like the other human being. She got tired, she got hungry, and worst she almost passed out. She was walking behind Mino when everything turned blurry.

“Hoowwwldd on…” she said, reaching towards Mino.

The guy turned around, “What is it?”

“Something felt weird. My stomach hurt, I never felt pain before. And my head is spinning so hard.” She explained.

Mino snorted, “You’re hungry.” He said before dragging her to the nearest convention store.

Solar stared at all the food around her then moved her gaze towards Mino who’s immediately walked to the back of the convention store, “I can buy all I want?”

“No, I don’t have that much money.” He said, grabbing two triangle-kimbab.

Solar shrugged.

“I want that. What is that?” Solar pointed at something.

Mino walked closer, “Marshmallow? You want marshmallow?”

Solar nodded.

“Whatever.” He grabbed one packed of marshmallow before paying all of their food.

Mino placed the food on the table by the window.

“How was your job interview?” Solar asked while opening her bag of marshmallow before popped them inside , “Damn… this is so fluffy.”

“They said I’m not the right person. Same bull.” He munched down his food.

Solar rolled her eyes. Of course he’s not. He didn’t even dress properly. Who in the world would hire a person dressed with ripped jeans and lousy band t-shirt as an employee? And with those eyebrows he looked damn scary.

“You need to tone down your style a little bit.” She said.

“Nothing is wrong with my style.”

“You look like bad guy and no one wants to hire a bad guy. You need to look more professional. I’m not telling you to wear some kind of suits or something, just dress more neatly.” She popped her last piece of marshmallow inside .

 

-3-

Three days later Mino finally got a job. A janitor, it didn’t pay much but enough for him. But old habit die hard. That day Mino came home smelling like alcohol and cigarette. He used all of his first payment for beers and cigarette. Solar was mad, oh… she was furious.

“Yah! I didn’t go down for nothing, okay? You little rascal, you should have save the money! Do you even know how to live? Drink this!” she handed him a big glass of water.

“You need to sober up because we need to talk about a lot of things.” She said again, flicking Mino’s forehead.

But then Mino hugged her. She was caught off guard; this was not how she thought he would react. The water was splashing all over the place. Darn it…

“It feels nice to have someone who care about me.” He whispered on her ear.

After a second of silent, Solar finally back on her right mind.

“No no no! Get the hell away from me. You smelled so bad!” She shook him off.

Mino tried to smell himself then a grin formed on his face.

“Forget it! Wash up then go to sleep.” She gave up.

The sun was almost set when Solar heard someone opened the door. Mino was standing in the doorway with a pack of cigarette on his hand.

“Give me that!” she said with her eyes half open.

“What? This? Hell no!” he kept his pack away from Solar.

“I’m going to ask you nicely. Give me the cigarette.” She said, again.

Mino shook his head, “I will stop drinking but not this. I cant, I’ve tried.”

“Give me that damn cigarette, Song Minho! You just got your job and your life is almost on the right track. I’m not gonna let you die because of that damn thing. If you die, I’ll die.” She sighed.

Mino placed his pack inside the pocket of his sweatpants, “What do you mean?”

“That is how guardian angel works. We born at the same time with the human we’re suppose to take care of and we’ll die when that human die too.” She said.

“Wow… and that must be the real reason why you saved me before, isn’t it? Because you don’t want to die, yet.” He snorted.

“That is not true! Just so you know, our death is way different that human’s death. We will be vanished into thin air; we wont feel anything. And our main purpose is to take care you, damn human. Do you understand? Now give me that damn cigarette!” she glared at him.

Rather than gave her his cigarette, Mino threw it away.

“Whatever.” Solar slammed the door leaving Mino outside.

Solar didn’t talk to him for the rest of the day. Mino tried to ask some questions to the girl but Solar just gave him cold shoulder. Everything was forgotten when Mino went home with a box of pizza in his hands.

“What is that?” Solar asked, staring at the Cheesy-thing in front of her.

“It’s called pizza.” He handed one slice for her.

Her eyes widen when she took her first bite.

Mino laughed on her reaction, “There’s no pizza in heaven?”

“We don’t eat up there. We never feel hungry.” She stuffed with another slice.

 

-4-

Solar didn’t know when it started but she got herself a new hobby. Watching Mino’s sleeping. She sat there, next to his mattress staring at the boy in front of her.  

“You know, it’s hard to fall a sleep with a pretty girl staring at you every night.” Mino said with eyes close.

Solar’s cheeks turned pink, “So you think I’m pretty?”

Mino positioned himself sitting in front the girl, “I must be blind if I say you’re ugly.” He patted Solar’s head.

Solar showed him her grin.

“Will you stay with me forever?” he asked.

“Technically we are one person, I was born with you and I’ll die with you. So yeah, technically I will stay with you forever.”

Mino shook his head, “No, I mean will you stay down here forever. With me?”

Solar bitted her lower lips.

Mino let out a small laugh before hugging her, “Let’s just live like this for now, we don’t need to think about what will happen in the future. We don’t need to make promises that maybe we cant keep. How does that sound?” he whispered.

While hugging him back, Solar nodded her head.

“Even if I need to go back up there someday, I hope you remember that I will always be with you, maybe not physically but I’ll always be there for you.”