Home Is Where The Heart Is

Home Is Where The Heart Is
Please log in to read the full chapter

~ Summer in Rebbur, capital of the world Astrin ~



Hastily jinked HyukJae aside to avoid a fire arrow that was aimed at him. As soon as the blue-haired elf had dodged the fast pacing arrow followed the next dangerous shot that was supposed to bring him death. Once again dodged the little elf and started looking for a good spot to hide. Not that he intended to hide for the rest of the fight. No! He needed to find a place to take a short rest, to make a plan for the counter-attack and perhaps to find a way to overthrow the king of Astrin. Only then the so much needed and wanted balance would finally be restored again.

In the corner of his eye he spotted a small gap in a decayed wall of a farmhouse. The gap seemed just big enough to fit a thumb-sized creature and offer it protection. A creature like him. With powerful s of his butterfly-like wings sped the elf off to reach the gap before any of his opponents would notice his intentions. Dozens of arrows crossed his way. With great difficulty he dodged each of these deathly shots and reached his desired goal only a few seconds later.

As soon as the the elf had firm ground under his feet again, he turned around. His eyes wandered over the battlefield in front of him. Each Elf, no matter what element he or she belonged to, had come to help. However, the little creatures weren't alone. The ghosts, who belonged to this world longer than any known creature and the angels of Eden had joined the battle against the human king. HyukJae knew that even more had wanted to join the battle and he hoped they would arrive at the battlefield soon as every fighting hand was desperately needed. He especially hoped to see the dark wings of the dragons in the clear sky above him but so far not even one was in sight.

The people against whom they were fighting did their best to protect their country and their king. With swords, bows and arrows, as well as other stitch and firearms did they fight against those who they once called their allies or even friends. However, not only their self-made weapons brought them a victory or two. The birth-given gifts from elves, which were clairvoyance, the possibility to transform into other creatures, hovering and telekinesis, were also used against their enemies. It hurt to see the elf as the gifts they once had given to the people of this country was used against them.

A fire arrow hit the wall of the former farmhouse. The arrow got stuck high above the small gap. It's flames easily reached the roof which was build out of straw. Without much hesitation called the little elf his element, which is water to his help and put the fire out . As soon as he had extinguished the flames, he felt how a strong, dirty hand wrapped itself around his petite body and lifted him up.

"Gotcha!", cried a shabby-looking man with a broad grin on his face.
HyukJae tried to free himself from the grip of the stranger, but he didn't had enough power in his small arms to loosen even one of his cold stubby fingers. Determined looked the elf the human in the eye, while he called the surrounding water for help.

A huge ball of water was soon hovering over the head of the stranger. Just when the elf had wanted to drop the ball, was a fireball shot towards them. The small fireball hit the man directly on the cheek and brushed his sparsely covered arms. Yowling loosened the shabby man his grip around HyukJae. Immediately took the blue-haired Elf the opportunity and flew away. As soon as he was a few feet away from his attacker he ordered his still unused ball of water to whiz down and hit the man. When the ball hit his attacker's head, he slumped down to the ground.

"That was a near thing. You should be careful! The next time there might be no one around to help you out", he heard an all to familiar voice say next to him.
HyukJae nodded and turned around to face his best friend, a fire elf.
"I had the situation under control", the water elf sullenly said, even through he knew perfectly well that the previous situation could have ended completely different if his friend wouldn't have stepped in to save him. The red-haired elf sceptically raised his brows. Shortly after he gave HyukJae a faint smile before his face darkened again while his eyes landed on the battlefield under them.

Both elves shared some short but resolute glances before they plunged in depth.
"For Astrin!", both jelled with loud booming voices and began to help their allies.
The two elves fought side by side and were able to proceed further to the front. They didn't have weapons like the people did, but their elements were able to cause just as much damage as the said articles of wood and metal.

HyukJae just fended off a dangerous hit of a grim looking man as he felt how something or rather someone fell against him and made him tumble to the ground. Once he hit the cold hard ground he turned around and saw his friend. His red-haired friend had a bad gash across his torso. Laboriously rang the little elf for breath.

"Hyung!", cried HyukJae.
In panic erected the blue-haired elf a magical barrier of water and tried to find a way to help his friend but before he could even use a tiny bit of his magic, made his friend a slight movement with his hand and stopped him from doing so.

"Promise me that you'll protect our country. Do not waste your strength on a dying elf like me. I do not fear death", the fire elf said with a weak voice.
Tears gathered in HyukJae's eyes. He wanted to gainsay his friend, but when he looked into his eyes, he knew he had no chance against the strong will of the red-haired. Not verbally.
Immediately started HyukJae to mumble a few words which let healing water appear. The slight silver water like tincture lay itself on the wound of his friend and immediately started to do what it was called for.

“I won't let you go that easily”, said HyukJae and embraced his friend shortly.
The red-haired looked up at his friend with tears in his eyes. A small smile appeared on his face. His hand clenched the blue haired's cloth weakly to get his friends full attention.
“Go get them, Tiger!”, cheered the red haired his friend on to which HyukJae shortly nodded.
Carefully lay the young water elf his friend on the ground and started to build another wall out of water to protect his friends body from taking further damage. Determined looked the blue haired up to the castle. Anger spread through his entire body.

HyukJae had just let the first wall of water disappear as a glittering light spread across the battlefield and the combatants halted for a short moment.
On a balcony of the palace appeared a man. His wasn't very big and muscular and he wasn't particularly handsome too, but a certain power and authority could be sensed by the mere look at him. A slight shiver ran through the little elf as his eyes fell on the man. Even through there was quite some distance between them he could sense the evil soul this man had. The coldness that suddenly over came him made him shiver.

"You dare to attack me? Me? Your king? You will now get to know the consequences it has to cross your blade with mine. I hereby banish the elves, the leader of this uprising, out of this world into one where one of their kind isn't believed in. This is my will", said the king while rising his royal rod and let it hit hard against the floor.

A pressure wave spread from the point the rod met the ground to the battlefield. A strong wind came with the wave and let the light and small things whirl through the air. The impact of the wave was so strong that HyukJae was thrown backwards and his head slammed into something hard. The eyelids of the elf suddenly became very heavy and soon he was consumed by darkness.



~ A few months later in Switzerland, Planet Earth ~



Small cursing escaped DongHae's lips while he stomped through the forest. One thing was for sure; This wasn't the kind of holiday he had wanted. When he had rented a small mountain chalet in Switzerland more than five months ago, he imagined to have a relaxing time in a quiet area with a great view and absolute fresh air. You know, the things you kinda expect when you are planing to have a holiday in the mountains. Well... he did have a great view and the air is really fresh too. He couldn't complain about that. It was something else that bothered him. Something, he can only blame himself for it. If he wouldn't have told his three best friends about this trip, they wouldn't have been able to run to the next travel agency and buy tickets to Switzerland as well.

To not get him wrong, he liked his friends very much but he would have preferred to make this adventure alone. Not only had he wanted to finish writing his newest book during his stay, he also wanted to prove to himself that he was able to survive on his own for an entire week. The chalet seemed to be perfect for that. Or so he thought. Sadly he wasn't able to do any of these things now.

He was walking through the seemingly untouched forest. Carefully he set one step after the other to avoid falling over a root of a tree or something. The wind whirled through the brown leaves that were mostly laying on the ground. It felt like fall but it was in fact winter in Switzerland. Sadly it hadn't been cold enough for snow yet. It saddened the dark haired man a little that there was no snow in the end of December. Wasn't Switzerland famous for it's snowy landscape?

Every now and then he picked up some twigs and branches and put them on an old sledge as he needed them to keep the chalet warm. The small chalet didn't have any electrically which meant that the four young men had to gather enough wood as they needed it for heating the house and cooking their meals. This was something all of them were struggling with. Especially the youngest of the group didn't seem to be able to really get used to the situation. Again and again he began to complain about the empty battery of his computer and that he wasn't able to play his precious video game anymore.

A loud sigh escaped his throat when he picked up a big branch and put it to the other branches and twigs on his sledge. The dark-haired young man just wanted to continue his way through the forest when something shiny caught his eyes. Only a few meters on the ground away from him was something beautifully sparkling in the late evening sun. Could it be that he had found the nest of a magpie? He had heard that these cheeky birds would steal almost anything. Especially objects that glitter and twinkle seem to be to their liking. Who knows, maybe he would find something valuable. Curiosity overcame the young writer and so he decided to get closer to the thing to see what it was.

With careful and slow steps he got closer and closer the sparkling thing. When he was only a few steps away from it he stopped and looked around in confusion. He could see no jewellery or something like that on the ground. The thing no longer seems to sparkle. At least not as strongly as before. Had he only imagined it?

He was about to get back to his sledge and leave as a quiet, gentle ringing tone came to his ears. Confused he looked around. The noise seemed to come from the direction where he had suspected the treasure to be at earlier. Hesitantly he took the last few steps toward the place in front of him and bend down to be able to take a closer look at the ground. At first there seemed to be nothing unusual there. Leaves covered the entire ground and some fir corns were laying around. However, there was no shining object in sight.

With the thought in mind to have waisted his time in the cold, began DongHae to straight up. Only a few seconds later he heard that beautiful sound again. It seemed to be right in front of him. Right there, where he had suspected it to be before. However, there still was nothing there. When he took a closer looked at the ground, he realized that the leaves near the roots of the tree were slightly raised and lowered. The dark-haired man swallowed, gathered all his courage and pushed the heaving leaves aside. He expected to see beetles and spiders hiding under the leaves but what he found instead surprised him. There was a thumb-sized creatures laying on the cold ground.

His eyes wandered over the petite figure in front of him. The shape of this creature looked quite human. Even his face, which was framed by snow-white hair, looked human. Brown slightly tattered fabric dressed the little man a front of him. On his back were small elegant-looking wings that gorgeously started to shimmer as soon as rays of the evening sun met them.

Wouldn't the little chest of the creature have risen and fallen, would DongHae have betted that this must be some kind of rare collector figure. But it didn't seem to be.
Only gradually DongHae began to understand what he saw in front of him; A male elf.

During his research for his latest book he had often seen pictures of these creatures. Since his earlies stages of his childhood had he been fascinated by the tales and legends of mythical creatures. Secretly, he always had hoped that a wonderful world full of elves, werewolves, angels and dragons would really exist. His love for mysterious creatures and fantastic worlds were one of the many reasons why he had become an author. Often he had imagined how it would be like to actually meet one of these creatures he loved so much. However, now that one of these beings actually lay in front of him, he began to doubt his sanity.

The young author pluck up his courage and prodded the small elf slightly. He expected that it would move or wake up, but that was not the case. Again he touched the elf briefly with his index finger, yet again it didn't move. When he touched the elf for the second time he noticed how cold it's skin was.

"Oh no!", he cried in horror, gently lifted the little elf up and held it close to his body to provide it with warmth. For a while he just sat there and tried to warm the dainty little thing, but his efforts were unsuccessful.

The thoughts of the young man were racing. He wished to know how he could help the small creature. Or was it normal for elves to be this cold when a human touches them? Definitely not. He never read anything about that. On the other hand, no one ever met an elf before. How were his wise books to know if this was normal or not.
Gently he laid the elf back to the ground and looked at him anxiously. Somehow it must be possible to help the poor thing.
His mind went through all the stories of the many books and movies with elves that he had read respectively watched as a child. Then he had a brilliant idea: Peter Pan!
Wasn't there a scene where Tinkerbell almost died and Peter saved her by clapping and saying that he believes in fairies. Maybe this will work here too.

"I do believe in fairies! I do! I do! I do believe in fairies! I do! I do!", he shouted, and violently clapped in his hands.
Hopefully he looked down at the elf, but he still didn't seem to want to wake up. Again DongHae began to chant his previous words loudly while clapping wildly in the hands. After an eternity, so it seemed to the author, the slight figure began to move.

"What the hell?", he heard a slightly annoyed but weak voice of a man.
The elf seemed to have woken up from his sleep.
A broad smile crept onto the face of the author as he watched the little creature. Sleepily rubbed the delicate elf his eyes and yawned amply. It didn't take long until the still sleepy eyes of the elf met the ones of the young author. The facial expression of the elf darkened abruptly.

"Go away!", the elf hissed and tried to get on his legs, but his limbs were stiff from the cold weather and he wasn't able to do so. It also seemed as if he was lacking in strength to actually get on his feet. With much effort flapped the white-haired elf his wings, but besides a bright and beautiful ring nothing happened. The elf wasn't even able to get one or two millimetre off the ground.

"Damn it! What did you do, human?”, the elf cried in panic.
"I did nothing but save your life", DongHae said amazed by the rudeness of the little creature.
"You should have let me die!", the elf yelled while tears started to appear in his eyes.
DongHae shook his head violently and watched how the tears started to run down on the elf's cheek. Slowly, he reached his hand out to lift the little creature up again as he wanted to shelter it in his jacket form the cold wind that started to blow through the woods. He only had wanted to help the elf, shelter him from the wind and warm him a little, but the white haired didn't seem to want DongHae's help as he started to angrily hiss at him

"Don't you dare to touch me with your filthy hands, human. Your kind has already done enough damage", the elf hissed.
"I just want to help. You are cold. There is a small chalet near by. My friends and I rented it. It's warm there and we have plenty of food to feed you. Please, let me help you”, the author begged but the angry look that the elf threw at him said enough.

DongHae sighted loudly and sat cross-legged on the floor and began to study the elf's odd behaviour. The later was trying to get up on his feet. His face clearly showed how much trouble he had doing this simple task. Although he tried hard to finally stand gravity proved to be merciless as it pulled the little creature right back and made him fall. Again and again buckled his weak legs under him and he landed once again on the cold hard ground. Finally, after about forty attempts he was standing haughtily on his feet. Proud to have finally made it, he just wanted to take a step forward, but as soon as he had raised one of his legs slightly, began the other to tremble dangerously. Before the elf once again fell with full force on the ground came DongHae to his aid and prevented another painful impact.

The elf immediately clung himself to the hand, which was offered to him and let out a sigh of relief. Only a few moments later the elf seemed to understand what just had happen

Please log in to read the full chapter