Final

Stages

"I can't believe you" I heard her say as she dropped her purse on the couch. 

"It's not my fault that your parents decided to go all 'job-interview-mode' on me" I retorted back. 

I saw her turn around and look me in the eyes. She was frowning and had an annoyed expression on her face. "I know that you didn't want to go, but you didn't even try for me."

"Why would I try if i didn't care?" 

"You don't try for anything anymore" she mumbled and I almost didn't catch what she said. 

"What is that supposed to mean?" I started to become annoyed and I just saw her sigh. 

"You don't even care and you don't even try to care. You don't try for me or for us anymore. It's like you don't even care about our relationship anymore," she said and she started taking stuff out of her purse, " you know what, just do what you do and I won't bother you anymore" 

She walked towards the door and didn't even look at me anymore. I watched her as she left. I sighed and ruffled my hair as I sitting on the couch. 

-

It wasn't always like this. We were once that lovely couple that everyone tried to be, we were that couple that everyone dreamed to be. 

She was my everything. 

I guess people change, people their tastes change, people their behaviors change and I guess people their perspectives on things change. 

Just like how my perspective on her changed. During the time that we first started to date, I couldn't believe that she was mine. She was amazing, beautiful and just incredible in my eyes. 

I call that, the Honeymoon Stage. 

It's the stage that every couple goes through. It's the time that you cringy things and just love each other to death. You do really cliché things, like feeding each other or cuddle each other for eight hours. 

It's the time that you forget about your friends and just hang out with your partner. The stage that you take millions of pictures with each other. The time that you feel butterflies whenever you kiss or hug that certain person or the time that you only want to speak to that person.

-

"What do you want to do?" she said as she cuddled up to me even more. I looked at her and she had her eyes closed and she just laid her head on my chest. 

"I don't know you can choose?" I said and just smiled at her. 

She looked up at me and started grinning back at me and started to pout. "But I chose last time, it's your time now dummy" with that she softly flicked my nose and chuckled at my expression. 

"But I don't care, I will do anything you want to do" I said and I pouted back cutely at her.

"Let's go on a date" she said grinning at me.

"Where do you want to go then?" I asked and winked at her.

She started to giggle and my phone started to ring, making the two of us look at it. I decided to ignore it and brought her even closer to me. 

"Aren't you going to pick that up?" she asked while turning my head to look at me. 

"Nah, it can wait."

-

As time gradually goes on, every healthy couple will reach the second stage.

The Comfortable Stage.

It's the stage where you can finally show your 'true self'. Your behaviors, your bad or good habits, you show them everything. It's the stage where you start hanging with your friends more, but in a way still are super close together. You may go on less dates, but that doesn't mean anything. It's the stage where you have other things to worry about and you start worrying less about the other person but you still care and love them as much as you did from the beginning, maybe even more than you used to. 

This stage isn't necessarily bad, the 'usual' couples will just grow closer together and just move on from there, but sadly not every couple grows like that. Some couples, like us, don't grow closer, but they grow further away from each other. They got too comfortable too quickly and took each other for granted, they took the relationship for granted. This stage for them may last a few months, maybe even a few years. For us it took us one year in this stage 

-

"What do you want to do?" she asked while looking at her phone.

"I don't know" I said not bothering to look at her and still focusing my attention to the television in front of us. 

"It's been ages since we have done something, let's go out" she said but still looking at her phone and texting her friend. I didn't respond and just watched tv.

She just sighed and I felt her gaze at me, but I just ignored it. I saw her shrug and focusing her attention back to her phone. I stood up and decided to change my clothes. I walked out of our bedroom and saw her looking up.

"Where are you going?" she said and raising her eyebrow.

"Changkyun texted me a while ago saying we should have a 'dudes day'  today" I said while kissing her cheek and making my way to the door. 

"Okay, have fun!" I heard her say before closing the door behind me.

 -

This stage is where everything goes a little bit worse. Some couples pick it up from here and start to grow together and will go back to the Comfortable Stage, but many couples don't.

I call it, the Annoyed Stage

The reason why it's called the Annoyed Stage is because you get annoyed by every little thing that they do. For example, it starts with the toilet roll facing the wrong way or when the bed isn't folded neatly. It starts with just getting annoyed, but slowely it build up and you just start argueing. Honestly, you start argueing over complete and utterly bull. 

It happened so gradually that when we got to that stage, it was like I was hit by a train. I couldn't believe it, the girl that I loved so much, that I teased and cared about so much, was slowely starting to annoy me. The feelings that we all had in the beginning was slowely fading away too. Yes, sure every couple has their problems and faces their problems, but when you get dissatisfied in the relationship it becomes a whole different level. 

You start trying over, you start making up and try to fix things but sometimes it just doesn't work. Something in you still is unsatisfied and let me tell you, that is not a healthy relationship. 

-

"I had such a stressful day at work" she said when she walked too the couch and sat down next to me. I just ignored her because I had a stressful day at work too, but she kept on talking.

"This dude is just looking at me with this look and it just annoys me and he tells me stupid to do, but he doesn't realise that I have to do too and–," she suddenly stopped talking to me and she looked at me, who was playing on his phone, and I heard her sighing in annoyance," are you even listening to me?"

I decided to not answer her and just go back to my phone and I saw her walking to the kitchen out of the corner from my eye.

"I have a ty day at work and when I go home I get a ty greeting, how wonderful" I heard her mumble under her breath before reaching the kitchen. 

I felt a sudden rush of anger and didn't let it slip this time. 

"What did you just say?" 

-

After all of that argueing and dissastisfaction you go on to the next stage. When you hit this stage there is no going back really, some couples go back to the Annoyed Stage and even less than that go back to the Comfortable stage, but usually they don't and when you don't there is not that much time left. 

The Downhill Stage.

It's exactly what the stage is, it's going downhill from here on. Dissatisfaction grows larger and larger. Argueing turns into fighting and fighting turns into more dissastisfaction. You stop trying to fix things, you stop trying to work things out between the two of you, problems gets worse and you stop forgetting what you argue about. Everything doesn't seem like it's worth it anymore. 

After this stage, it is the end of the line. The stage that everyone fears about and it's the stage that every healthy couple doesn't think about.

The Ending Stage.

The stage that no one can leave on really that good terms. The stage that makes you go on a new path. A path without the person you cared for so much, without the person you loved so much, without the person that was your everything at the beginning. 

The relationship is ending, you don't know how or when but you know it's coming, maybe it's for the best.

-

"Hey, Wonho" I heard her quiet voice say over the phone.

"Hey" I answered in the same quiet tone.

"Umm.. I called you because I wanted to talk with you about something" I heard the hesitation in her voice and I knew immediately what she meant. My throat became dry and it was like someone was punching me in the stomach.

"Yeah?" it came out really hoarse and I heard her take a deep breath on the other side of the line.

"I think it's better for the both of us if we broke up" she said after a short pause.

"Yeah, I think so too" I managed to get out and I heard her sigh.

"Goodbye, Wonho" and with that she hang up.