One

Looking Into The Dark, With An Empty Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taehyun is drowning.

Water flooded inside of his lungs, burning deep into the pathways of his insides, dimming his eyes from the lack of oxygen- but that’s not all.

Taehyun can see his four year old self drowning in the lake.

It was not a beautiful sight to start with. The lake was not attractive per se, but it was murky, and it was swarming with overgrown lily pads and large, slippery rocks that is crawling with thick lumps of algae; but it was the same, and it’s as vivid as he remembered.

It was his birthday when he almost died; how could he forget?

The older, 19 year-old version of Taehyun is staring at the helpless kid as he flailed his arms up and down, helplessly waddling through the lake of murk and still life. The younger boy was screaming, “Mom! Mom! Help m-“, but no one came out of the dingy, old cottage in which his whole family was in.

Taehyun couldn’t help but curse out loud, he wants to help his younger self, but he knows that he can’t. He was a mere spectator, a witness of his own misfortune; as if his life is an ongoing movie, with no one else but his own thoughts as his audience. What a pity.

Hurried footsteps snapped Taehyun out of his endless thoughts, pulling him back into his situation. A small tanned boy, a few inches taller by the younger Taehyun was running, knocking out fallen leaves out of place.

 He was wearing a plain white shirt and he was running towards the lake, pulling one shoe after the other, and he was staring at the struggling boy the whole time.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter