Escape to Daegu

My Heart's Tenant

"You really are sure about this Seul?"

The blonde haired girl tilts her neck to be able to press her phone between her head and her shoulders as she now starts to use both her hands to pack her things.

"Super. You know I can't just keep on staying here. If they get too desperate, then I might end up either to rot in jail forever or floating dead somewhere near the Han river."
Just the thought of the last sentence made her shiver. Damn loan sharks. Damn father.

"Besides, I still plan on paying them back. I just need to find a decent job there in Daegu that can cover my daily expenses and at the same time still have some left so that bit by bit, I can actually save money. Then I'll go back here in Seoul to pay them back. If I'm lucky, then I might be able to pay them after... Ten years." 

Sarcasm was definitely evident in her statement which made her friend on the other line scoff. "Yeah. Good luck with your 'plan' there."

The girl just sighs. She knows to herself that as of now, she's just winging everything. No actual plans on what happens after she arrives at Daegu. Well maybe finding a place to stay at first, but completely she has no idea after that. She also fairly knows that what she just said to her friend is impossible. Paying them back is impossible, given the fact that her job as a photographer is to only take shots for online articles, which really doesn't pay that much either. Even if she sidelines as an artist, creating paintings and sketches for certain customers, it still doesn't cut it. Now, she can only blame her father for her misfortune.  If only her father was somewhat responsible, and wasn't a total jerk, he would still be by her side and won't leave her for the loan sharks to endlessly chase her for his debt.

"Anyways, I'll just call you when I get there okay? You better not back on your word that you'll be picking me up! You know I'm not familiar with Daegu, add the fact that I'm not good with directions either, I'll be doomed if you don't pick me up."

"Hey, I keep my promises you know! Don't worry about that, worry about yourself. Make sure you packed everything you need okay? Shirts, your wallet, underwear, maybe a power bank too-"

"Yah! You didn't have to mention the underwear eommoni!" Seulgi decides to cut her friend's 'not-really-needed' nagging since she knows that if she doesn't, her very caring friend's 'list-of-stuff-to-bring' would not end. "I'll be leaving tonight. I'll probably be there by morning so I'll just contact you when I get there. I'm currently packing my things."

"Arraseo arraseo! And don't call me eommoni you-!"

"I'm hanging up, bye Wen!"

"Yah! Kang Seulgi–"

The phone call was cut there and Seulgi can't help but chuckle at her friend's reaction. She was really thankful of the latter though. Suddenly moving to an unknown place without any plans at all, she's just grateful that her bestfriend Wendy could lend her a hand.

"Now, to continue packing my things so that I could leave already." The girl huffs when she saw the cluttered mess in front of her. Tons of clothes and her things scattered on top of her bed. With the looks of it, she knows it would take her hours to organize her stuff, which lead her to decide to give up on packing in a neat and organized manner and just stuff the things her hands could reach inside her backpack. As she was doing so, the girl froze when a loud banging was heard on her door.

"Ms. Kang!!! Open up!!!"

Her face scrunched in irritation and a groan almost escaped her lips out of annoyance but was immediately stopped by her own two hands when she remembered that she should be quiet. The voice that was blatantly calling her was all too familiar and annoying. Who wouldn't remember such a hoarse voice when it would always holler at her front door aggravatingly every week, trying to milk out every cent of money she has?

Gosh these ajhussis. 

Knowing the impending hell that was about to come, she finishes packing and starts pacing back and forth, thinking of a way on how she could escape when the loan sharks are outside her front door.

"YAH! OPEN UP KID!! OR ELSE I'LL BREAK YOUR DOOR!"

Seulgi started looking around, trying to find a way out. She was getting really fidgety when the banging on her door didn't stop. "Seulgi is not here!" The girl shouts out in a higher pitch to the men outside, hoping that they'd buy the excuse.

"Nice try, BUT YOU LIVE ALONE STUPID!"

Oh . She bit her lip at her own foolishness.

"ON THE COUNT OF THREE KID!" The voice changed, rendering Seulgi to think that there must be more than one person outside.

Miraculously, the girl sees a perfect way to escape. She spots a big window, big enough to fit her body, conveniently placed in the kitchen which is located at the back of her flat. Never did Seulgi thought she would find the window a life blessing.

"ONE!"

A bit clumsily, the girl grabbed her backpack and dashed towards the said window, as if its the only pringles left in the snack aisle in the convenience store, the girl's favorite snack by the way. 

Yet as she got there, she was faced with another obstacle. 

"It's stuck." She groans after exerting much effort in trying to pry open the damned window.

"TWO!!"

She looks at the shaking door that's barely holding the loan sharks outside, and the window that won't seem to open anytime soon. Trying her best to be calm, she looks around once more and suddenly realizes something.

"The back door! Damn you're a genius Kang Seulgi!" She says in sarcasm while she laughs to herself as she quickly heads towards her kitchen's backdoor that she seemed to forgot exists. 

"THREEEEEEEEEEE!" 

The front door broke down the same time Seulgi was able to open her back door. The loan sharks immediately caught sight of Seulgi at the far end of the apartment, grinning at them.

"Sorry ajhussis but I can't hang!" The girl mocks cooly and sticks out her tongue at the three men glaring at her before she eventually dashes out of the house, the loan sharks running after her.

"COME BACK HERE KANG!!!" Seulgi heard one of the men shout. She knows those middle aged loan sharks won't give up just like that, and she would be doomed co'z she knows to herself that running isn't really her best point. Good thing, the girl was able to spot in just the knick of time, her savior. 

"Aiyaa!" She huffs as she mounts on her trusty motorcycle. As quickly as she can, she starts the bike's engine when suddenly, a hand grabs her shoulder.

"Where do you think you're going?" One of the men chasing her, wearing a floral button up shirt, asked smugly.

Yet, Seulgi just smiled. "It's a secret." And with that, she shoves the man hard, making him land on the floor, first.

Given the opportunity, Seulgi drives the motorcycle away and leaves the man, still on the floor, shouting a bunch of curses at her, while the other two tried to catch up on her by running but eventually failed. 

"Yeeeeeey!!!" The girl cutely said in triumph, even fist pumping in excitement. She always ran away from those guys but that kind of chase was surely a first for her. Usually she would just hide or run, and eventually they would catch her and milk money from her pocket or bank account.

"WOOOH! That was exhilarating!" Seulgi continues to shout out as she cuts through the wide freeway that night in an incredible speed. "Now, off to Daegu!"

---

The plan she originally made was to just ride on her motorcycle all the way to Daegu, but it deemed impossible when she felt really sleepy. Well, she originally is someone who loved to sleep and can't even stay up really late at night, so she suddenly questioned herself on why she decided to go leave for Daegu at night on her motorcycle. 

Which is why, she's now at a bus station, looking at the fare rates in front of the cashier. The girl already thought that she could just find somewhere to stay and leave the next day, but she was too tired and there wasn't any place she could stay for the night too, which opted her to leave her motorcycle and ride a bus instead.

"Here's your ticket miss. The bus will leave in a few." The teller announced which woke Seulgi up in her trance.

"Oh... Thanks!" The latter replied some seconds later, flashing a bright smile before taking the ticket and making her way to board the bus.

"What a day..." Seulgi heaves out a sigh soon as she got seated comfortably on the bus. The ordeal earlier was very tiring for her, yet she's somewhat relieved that at last, those loan sharks were out of her hair...

And that she will be starting a new and nice life in Daegu.

With these comforting thoughts, the blonde haired girl drifts into her much needed sleep.

Surely, Daegu would be great.

---

Seulgi slowly flutters her eyes open when she felt a small amount of light shining on her. The girl yawns like a bear and once she was fully awake, she looks out the window of the bus and the simple yet gorgeous scenery of Daegu welcoming her.

The girl smiles to herself, even cutely closing her eyes and spreading her arms wide, feeling the the clean breeze Daegu offered as soon as she got off the bus, not caring whether some people were already staring at her.

"Now this is what I call a great place!" Seulgi exclaims while trying to get something from her backpack as she just remembered that she should now be calling Wendy to pick her up. The other line started ringing but then suddenly stopped, making Seulgi abruptly look at her phone screen. And to her absolute luck, her battery is already flashing red, and within seconds, her phone screen goes black.

"Awww.. C'mon!" Seulgi loudly whines, still trying to turn her phone on, but to no avail, didn't succeed.

Now she's doomed once again. 

She doesn't know her way around the place and Wendy was her only hope, and now she can't even reach her.

"Sheesh... What do I do now?"

While she was pondering, she suddenly got chills as she heard a nearby conversation.

"Eommoni, do you know anyone here that goes by the surname 'Kang'?" A familiar voice asked in perfect korean pronunciation.

"Yah. Is that the only information you have? There are a lot of 'Kang' in Korea you punk!" A voice of an old lady speaking in satoori answered.

It can't be...

"Well uhm... She's this tall and..."

The familiar voice continued to explain, but Seulgi already stopped listening. Wanting to know if her hunch was right, she slowly turns around to where she was hearing the conversation, and to her horror, she was right.

"How were these ajhussis able to follow me?" She questions herself in a whisper. Due to panic, her head started to whip left and right, trying to see if she could find a place to hide. As she was doing so, she quickly glanced at the men once more, and it seems that her luck really ran out when she saw that they were already looking at her with wide eyes, and there's only one thing that was on her mind that time.

Run!

And run she did. Seulgi ran through the crowd, apologies constantly coming out of her as she keeps on bumping into someone due to the jam packed bus station and also because she kept glancing back at the loan sharks, who's now starting to get stuck amongst the crowd of people.

Seulgi smiles at this, thinking maybe, just maybe, she's getting the hang of this running thing. 

Gee, I would be a perfect cast of Running Man at this rate.

But much to her dismay of being a cast of the popular variety show, she suddenly crashes into someone, really hard, that she fell flat on the floor. "Ow..." Seulgi groans as she tries to sit back up. "Why is luck not on my side today either?"

Just then, she notices the girl she just bumped into. Judging by her clothes, Seulgi thinks that the girl is in high school, since she's wearing a uniform. The blonde quickly stands up to help the girl and apologize. "Gosh, I'm really sorry!"

"No... It's okay, I'm fine." The other girl timidly says, shyly looking at Seulgi.

Knowing that the girl didn't hurt herself much made Seulgi smile in relief. "Good then." She states, not looking at the girl, but at her chasers that's now gaining on her. "I'll be going now! You take care!" The blonde says, waving goodbye to the other girl before she disappears from the latter's sight.

Seulgi's distance from the loan sharks starts to get shorter. 

This won't do.

The blonde abruptly stops on her tracks, trying to think fast on what she should do to lose them. The girl quickly scans her surroundings, hope suddenly graces her expression when she saw a girl mounting a scooter. 

Without even thinking twice, she runs towards the girl and also hops on the back of the scooter, startling the other. "Kkapjakkiya!"

And before the girl could hit her or get off the scooter, Seulgi starts its engine and drives quickly from the back.

"Yah! Who are you?! Stop this instant!" The girl shouts at Seulgi, hitting her at her every word in which the blonde barely understood because of the other's cute satoori.

Yeah. Seulgi thinks it's cute.

But she needs to stop the girl from hitting her first. "Hey! I'm not a bad person! I'm just trying to get away from the real bad guys who's chasing me!" Seulgi explained, trying to dodge the other's attacks.

"And stop hitting me! I'm driving!!!"

Realizing the danger, the other girl stops hitting her, but continued her screaming instead. "Help! I don't know this—"

"YAH! STOP! I'll pullover and let you drive okay! Just help me find a cafe here or something where I could charge my phone!"

The other girl hesitates at Seulgi's offer. She glares at the blonde girl, trying to read her, wanting to know if she should trust her. Seulgi notices this, and for the first time, looks at the other girl properly. That's when she noticed how heavenly gorgeous the girl is. The other is dawned with milky white skin, her brown hair cascading down past her shoulders, and her eyes– gosh her eyes– her black doe like eyes—

"Okay, I know a place."

The other girl's now soft tone stopped Seulgi's thoughts. 

She even has an angelic voice.

Believing in the other's words, Seulgi pulls over and lets the former drive the scooter. The blonde smiles to herself and says a hushed but sincere "Thanks." to the brunette.

Yet she wished she didn't.

Co'z rather than a small and cozy cafe where she could charge her phone and call her friend Wendy, Seulgi ended up somewhere else, specifically, inside a small, cold, room. The other is girl standing in front of her, smirking horrifyingly at her, while she... She's behind bars.

The angelic girl she saw earlier was no longer angelic in her opinion. 

She's evil, and sly.

But she's still gorgeous though. 

"Irene!" The police officer called, making the so called 'Irene' turn to him. "Will you file a complaint against her?"

"Yes Ilhoon, I will."

Curse this evil and sly woman of Daegu.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I know... I'm posting a new one even if I'm not yet halfway through Love Run and haven't updated Intertwined yet. I'M SO SORRY GUYS 😭

But I just can't help it. I need to post this before I forget my ideas.

I hope you also show love for this fic!!

And another thing, I got inspired by the character/personality that @seventhree65 of twitter created for Irene (Sly woman of Daegu) so I decided to incorporate it in this chapter.

 

Anyways, here it is and I hope you like it!

Author out!

Peace!